• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 1,276 Views, 20 Comments

The Timeless Hollow - Warrior of Vale



the cutie mark crusaders embark on an exciting adventure that'll push their friendship to the limit

  • ...
1
 20
 1,276

Chapter 1: A lunar visit

The Timeless Hollow

There comes a time in every fillies life when, against her elders wishes she's bound to do something so brazen and outrageous you have to wonder what was going through their heads ~ Princess Celestia




"Psssst" there it was again, that infuriating hissing noise that kept escaping Diamond Tiara's lips as she struggled to get Appleblooms attention, but it wasn't going to work this time.
"PSSSSST," it became more insistant this time, more annoying too.

Applebloom chanced a glance to the desk near hers and briefly caught Diamond Tiara's eyes, her antagonist smirked and hastily tossed a scrunched up note across the tables, the note bounced off of Appleblooms pencil and knocked it to the floor with a loud clack, gaining the attention of everyone in the room, along with their teacher Ms. Cheerilee who glared in their direction, her expression one of frustration more than anger.


"What in Equestria could you two fillies be gossiping about now?" She groaned, obviously used to their antics, which didn't make the disruption of the lesson any less bothersome.
"Nothin' at all ma'am!" Applebloom muttered scooping up the paper quickly before her teacher could get a hoof on it.
She knew very well that the note probably contained something mean about the fact that she still didn't have her cutie mark and wasn't eager to have the teacher read it out loud.

It was a sore subject for all young foals, not having your cutie mark meant you still didn't know what your special talent was in life, and generally caused you to be the center of a lot of teasing.
Ms. Cheerilee seemed to understand though, with a flare of her nostrils she shook her head and turned back to the chalkboard.

Applebloom blushed slightly as she heard a couple foals giggling behind her, namely Silver Spoon, one of Diamonds little minions who followed her around and doted on her. The teasing didn't bother her all that much, but it was still disheartening all the same. Things had to change.




"Argh, that girl is SO annoying! Makes me wanna use her as a half pipe, I bet I could do some crazy awesome tricks off her face!"
Class was out and Applebloom stood near the schoolhouse with her two friends, an orange filly with a shock of messy dark purple hair, Scootaloo, and a more composed but no less exuberant white filly sporting a lush curly purple and pink mane, Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo revved her short wings for a moment then zoomed a donut out on her well worn scooter, to set an example of what she might do, if given the chance.
"Cause that'll go down well, what with her father probably getting all huffy and stuff, I bet he'd even complain to Rainbow Dash about you." Sweetie Belle giggled behind a hoof as Scootaloo came to an abrupt halt and fell head over hoof off the scooter. "D-dont even joke about that! Do you even know how hard it is to get that pony to notice you?!" She closed her eyes and sighed heavily as Sweetie continued to chuckle at her friends expense.
"Well, she'd certainly notice you then."
"Haha so not funny Sweetie." Scootaloo moaned, not enjoying the idea of that.

"Aw c'mon now girls, this ain't the time for squabbling, we got a sleepover to be planning!" Applebloom chimed in cheerfully and patted Scootaloo's back, "if we wanna get our cutie marks then we gotta have lots of things planned out right?"
"Things?" Sweetie Belle cocked her head to the side, her sparkling green eyes curious. "Yeah...things! I dunno what, but we always come up with sumthin' "
"Like running over anything that annoys us?" Scootaloo's mood immediately brightened and she batted her wings again, ready to ride at a moments notice.
"I think she meant more along the lines of breaking things and scaring people, all in the name of our cutie marks Scoots," Sweetie Belle put a hoof to her mouth thoughtfully, "sadly that's pretty much all we've accomplished over the years..."
"Pft, all we've accomplished was being AWESOME you mean." Scootaloo flared her wings and laughed, "at least that's what I've done."

"There ain't nuthin' stopping us from doing even more awesome things neither! The Cutie Mark Crusaders don't know the meaning of defeat! We laugh at the idea of failure."




A loud shout interrupted Appleblooms small speech and all three of them turned their gaze over to a smaller colt who was arguing with some larger boys.
By the looks of it the larger boys had taken his wooden sword and he was trying to get it back, to little avail.
"Something wrong Pip?" Applebloom trotted over to the scene and put a hoof up to stop the small spotted colt from leaping on her, so fervently was he jumping for his toy.
"Eh, what?" Pip's eyes widened and he stopped mid bound landing with a thump on the soft grass, causing the other boys to chuckle. The ringleader a unicorn, was using his horn to magically keep the sword away from him.
"Oh you know, the usual" Pip smiled brightly at the three fillies as they approached him, he might've been small but Pip was the pluckiest colt the three knew of, nothing ever got him down, he could be a bit of a scaredy doo but he more than made up for it with his indomitable energy and positive thinking.

"We just figured we'd uh...help him out with his jumping skills y'know? Since Pip here wants to become an adventurer like his dad." The ringleader unicorn who went by the name of Lightning Rod grinned at them then waved the wooden sword around a bit for effect.
"Almost sounds like bullying to me," Sweetie Belle pursed her lips and frowned at Lightning who shrugged his broad shoulders, "to you maybe, but what the opinion of some blank flank to me?" This comment caused his friends to laugh and Sweetie Belle to glare at him angrily, her small horn flickered a bit, a detail lost to the bullies but not her friends.
"Calm down now Sweetie" Applebloom warned under her breath, well aware of what a unicorn could do with magic if she let her emotions get the best of her.
"Go for it!" Scootaloo hissed, her face splitting into a huge expecting grin.
"We'd go easier on the kid if he wasn't some worthless blankflank as well y'know." Lightning laughed again and raised the sword out of Pips reach.

Sweetie Belle's horn flashed brightly at the latest blankflank comment and there was a huge popping noise that left everyone's ears ringing, along with the scent of burnt hair.
When the bright flash died down Pip noticed his sword on the ground and pick it up in his mouth gleefully. Lightning Rod was no where to be seen.
"Oh dear, where'd you whisk him off to now?!" Applebloom's voice took on a tone of worry as she scanned the schoolyard and playground.
Sweetie Belle shook her head as her eyes went crisscross, an after effect of using magic that one wasn't used to yet. The top of her mane was blackened a bit and smoking, another after effect of using teleportation magic.
"Who cares!? that was AWESOME!" Scootaloo threw her hooves up and cheered for her friend who smiled shakily and then glared at the remaining two colts who backed up a bit.
"Try to remember this next time you feel like picking on someone you nitwits," she growled in her squeaky, not at all threatening voice.
The two colts eyes widened and it was obvious they had had seen enough and wanted nothing else to do there so they took off without another word.




"Fanks a lot guysh!" Pip shouted through a mouthful of sword, noticing the fillies concerned looks he glanced down then spit the sword out bashfully, "ahaha, i mean thank you!"
"It was no problem at all Pip!" Sweetie Belle smile brightly then bonked hooves with scootaloo who was having a hell of a time thinking of the places Lightning could've ended up.
After a couple minutes of chatting Pip made his exit, mentioning something about adventures and baddies who needed "a good whomping," along with the possibility of his schoolbag being left behind in the classroom. This left the Cutie Mark Crusaders to think of plans for their sleep over.

"Well if that's the plan then I think we're in for an awesome night of crusading!" Scootaloo exclaimed after a short while, her enthusiasm was infectious and the other two felt themselves get a bit more excited about the coming adventure filled night that was awaiting them as they took off to their tree house fort.


As they left the schoolyard however, two other fillies exited the school building, intrigued expressions on their faces.
"So those three dorks are holding a sleepover huh?" Diamond Tiara's round blue eyes lit up maliciously and her friend Silver Spoon frowned a bit at the display. "You have plans I'm guessing?"
Diamond rubbed her two front hooves together and chuckled menacingly, "you bet I do! I think its time for a bit of disruption, dont you?"

Silver Spoon adjusted her glasses and sighed, not eager to do anything too physical, even if it meant ruining the Cutie Mark Crusaders night. "Whatever you want to do Diamond"
Diamond cackled at that, "you're completely right, we do what I want to do!"
The two of them hurried off, eager to set their sinister plans in motion right as Pip popped back out of the schoolhouse, holding the bag he'd forgotten.

"Well that just seems downright awful!" He exclaimed, not pleased about this development.
"Bloomin' meanies mean to ruin those nice girls party! As a hero of all things right in Equestria I cannot allow these sinister plans to come to fruition." With a chomp he bit down on the hilt of his sword and waved it about for a moment, then was gone.




Later that night, in the relative safety of their headquarters, a somewhat newly refurbished old tree that Appleblooms older sister had used as a kid, the Cutie Mark Crusaders started discussing what possible things they could do to figure out what exactly their special talents were.
"How about spies?" Scootaloo pondered, eyes bright with excitement, "I totally bet we could be spies!"
"Nah, we tried that already remember?" Sweetie Belle shook her head quickly and shot that down before Scootaloo got any crazy ideas, "we tried sneaking into Pinkie's place to learn about what she had planned for Rarity's birthday party last year but you started eating the cake there and Pinkie came at us screaming about intruders and firing that blasted party cannon of hers."
"It took me weeks to get all the frosting out of my ears, and I was sneezing confetti fer days," Applebloom grimaced, obviously not remembering that night fondly.
"Ohhh yeahhh... I remember that, the cake wasn't even worth it."

"We could always be mailponies or something I guess..." Sweetie Belle scratched her head and shrugged, "I mean, we tried it that one time with Derpy but who knows if it was us that ended up causing the mail to explode or her, it might not have been all our fault."
"No... I'm pretty sure it was our fault actually, I distinctly remember putting my mail in the bag along with some of those crazy fireworks Rainbow had been saving for her performance at the summer sun celebration." Scootaloo giggled at the memory of fireworks and paper exploding around all around them as they rode a small air balloon attached to derpy as the mailmare flew around Ponyville doing her deliveries.
"Poor Derpy" Applebloom sighed, "this time she really didn't know what went wrong, I never found out if they salvaged all that mail either..."
"Well regardless, we are NOT cut out to be mailponies at all."
The three of them nodded in concordance then let out a group sigh. Exhausted for ideas.


"Gettin' mighty stormy out there by the look of things," Applebloom trotted over to the window and watched the nearby apple trees sway in the wind. "Not a cloud in sight, just the big ol' moon starin' down at us."
" A clear windy night? I guess that means Princess Luna must be doing her rounds up at Canterlot, making sure the city is safe." Scootaloo joined her friend and stared out the window at the huge full moon in the sky.
"I wonder if she'll come down to Ponyville again this year for her festival, its not too far off now." Sweetie Belle bumped Scootaloo to the side and nudged her way in between them to look out the window as well.

There was a huge gust of wind that shook the window and forced it to slam shut with a loud bang, startling the fillies back onto their rumps in surprise. Strangely enough the gust of wind managed to get inside the tree house and swirled around them, rustling the huge map of Ponyville they had and their manes.
"You'd be surprised at how close your Princess actually is," a low and calm voice spoke up from the shadows near the corners of the house.
All three fillies eyes widened with shock as they whirled around and were greeted by the sight of Princess Luna stepping out from a swirling black gate made of shadows, her hooves made loud clopping noises as she strode gracefully across the wooden floor, the sound magnified by how quiet the three had become.

She came to a stop near them then looked down at the fillies, a small warm smile inching its way onto her lips.
"You've nothing to be afraid of, my loyal subjects, I want nothing more than to speak to you."
"S-speak to us?" Applebloom gulped audibly and Luna nodded, ignoring the small amount of fear in the fillies voice.
"Indeed, for I have a request...something I believe only you can accomplish, it is of the utmost importance, and I'm afraid that we have very little time."