• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,839 Views, 28 Comments

The Cellar - Fenix



The Cutie Mark Crusaders tell horror stories. Some false, but others...

  • ...
7
 28
 1,839

The Cellar

“Now where could they be?” Apple Bloom asked herself, crunching the fallen leaves as she paced in front of a large apple tree. The fall winds had picked up their speed, rattling the leaf-stripped tree branches causing the licorice maned filly to shiver as her steps grew quicker with every passing minute. “I've been out here forever!” The sun had nearly dipped below the horizon, casting a varying spectrum of reds and oranges on the large Ponyville farm. Except for the howling winds, the farm was relatively quiet, making Apple Bloom more testy and impatient. The Apple family had finished their leaf raking duties several hours before, and all had turned into the farm house for some well-deserved rest.



All but Apple Bloom. Strewn out across the ground were several saddle bags, woven bags filled with a variety of apples and produce, and sleeping mattresses to name a few. She had piled them at the end of the wooden ramp and kept her focus east in anticipation. The week in school had felt like months as she waited, but all she could think of how much it would pay off. She shivered sharply, unsure if it was from her excitement or from the harsh wind, but a smile crept on her face regardless.



Just as she bent down to start carrying one of the bags of apples into the tree house above, two small figures passed through the farm's gate. They stopped, looked towards Apple Bloom, then waved. Hastily, she dropped the bags and waved back, watching them come closer with saddlebags on both of their sides. She waited there patiently as the two fillies made their way down the dirt path.



“There you two are!” Apple Bloom called out. “What took ya' so long?”



“We would've been here sooner if Rarity wasn't using Sweetie Belle again to model,” Scootaloo explained, looking down at the pile of supplies at Apple Bloom's hooves.



“I was in there for hours!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, stopping beside Apple Bloom. “I never want to look at another hat as long as I live.”



“Let's get all of this stuff up and get this party started, Crusaders!” Apple Bloom said, hoisting up the bag of apples once more. Her friends nodded and trotted up the ramp into the house, placing their bags into the corner near the door before heading down and helping Apple Bloom carry the rest. After several trips, the three sat in the middle of the single room tree house each of them with a sparkle of excitement in their eyes.



“What should we do first?” Sweetie Belle asked, scooting closer to her friends. “We could try to get our cutie marks!”



“I know!” Apple Bloom chimed in, jumping up to her hooves. “There are still some leaves outside, maybe we could get a rakin' cutie mark and jump in the piles when we're done!”



Scootaloo yawned, causing the two ecstatic fillies to turn to her with a curious look. “That's are all fine, but I have an even better idea!” Scootaloo rushed to the pile of supplies and rummaged through them, nearly sinking into the large mound. When she emerged, she held a flashlight in her mouth and jumped out before holding the instrument with her hoof under her chin, casting long and ominous shadows up her face. “Let's tell ghost stories!” She proceeded to sit back down, watching the twilight outside from the window turn into night and blanket the farm in darkness.



“I don't know,” Apple Bloom stated. “Is there even a cutie mark for that?”



“I'm not sure, but let's do it anyway!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Do you have a fire pit we can make a bonfire in? We may not even need the flashlight for this.”



Apple Bloom put a hoof to her chin, looking out the window. Out in the distance and under the starlight, she spotted the small blackened mound surrounded by rocks that the family had used years ago for one of their many family reunions. A pile of chopped wood lay next to it, giving them more than enough ample fuel. “I know where we can do it! Follow me, Crusaders!” Apple Bloom commanded, bolting out the door and down the ramp. Her friends followed close behind, Sweetie Belle being smart enough to bring her saddlebag along just in case.



Apple Bloom zigzagged between the apple trees, keeping her head slightly up to watch for any still unpicked apples that could come loose by the wind. She expertly weaved her way through and wounded up at the fire pit, stopping to let her friends catch up with her and let Sweetie place down her bags.



“This looks perfect!” Scootaloo exclaimed, trotting up to the triangle shaped pile of chopped wood. She inspected each side, then looked to Apple Bloom with a frown on her face. “So how are we supposed to light them? There aren't any matches here.”



“Pssh, that's an easy one,” Apple Bloom said confidently, striding up to the pile and tossing one in the white and black ash filled pit. She then bent down, took a few sticks and dried grass, and , grabbed two of the rocks and struck them together, causing a small spark to leap out and fizzle in the air. “My sister showed me this back when I was littler,” she explained, leaning in closer to the block of wood. She struck the rocks again, watching a spark fly out onto the log and rest on it, beginning to char the tiny sticks. After a few more successful attempts, the kindling lit and began to smolder the pulp above it. She bent down close to the tiny flame and blew, making it erupt and catch the log on fire. Apple Bloom stood back up with a pleased look on her face, setting the rocks back down before looking back at her friends.



The two frantically grabbed several of the remaining logs and tossed them in, watching some all light up and turn into a roaring blaze. The flickering oranges, yellows and whites danced in front of them, the wood creating occasional popping sounds as the three sat around the pit.



“Do any of us even know any ghost stories?” Sweetie Belle asked with a worried face.



“I know one!” Scootaloo stated, inching closer to the blaze. She looked over at her two friends with a smile on her face as she kept her head low to cast dark shadows under her eyes. “It's the story of the 'Headless Griffonstallion'.



“Back in the early days of Ponyville, ponies used to ride griffons to get from place to place. They rode from town to town, telling stories and selling their stuff. There was one path, however, where the griffons and their riders would mysteriously disappear without leaving a single trace.” Scootaloo turned her head back and forth, watching her friends' reactions.



“That ain't true,” Apple Bloom protested.



“But it was! One day, to prove that it didn't happen, a stallion named Ichabod Pegasus left Ponyville on his trusty griffon. The road was dark and cold, much like tonight. Trees clattered back and forth as shadows of their branches reached out to him like claws. As he went farther in, a deep fog rolled across the trail, making it hard for him to see anything ahead of him. He took a lantern out from his backpack and lit it to see through the fog.



“Just as he thought he was safe, he saw a set of glowing eyes within the trees. He called out to whatever was lurking just before it walked out onto the path. Ichabod reeled back as he saw what it was that was approaching him. It was a stallion riding a griffon, but it was holding its own head in its hooves, completely separated from his neck! It spoke to him in a deep voice.” Scootaloo coughed. “'Go back to Ponyville,' it commanded. Pegasus's eyes grew wide as he recognized who it was in front of him. It was his old riding instructor! Before he could run away, the headless griffonstallion took a blade out from his belt and charged after his student as he could only watch as the glowing eyes grew closer and closer.” She swung her hooves around erratically, watching her friends stare at her with raised eyebrows.



“I've heard that story before,” Sweetie Belle admitted. “You should've had a coat on so you could've look headless yourself.”



“That's a good idea! Why have I never thought of that?” Scootaloo wondered, placing a hoof up to her chin.



“I got a story,” Apple Bloom said, catching her friends' complete collective attention. “It's not so much a made up story like Scootaloo's, but it's one that Granny Smith told me when I was younger.”



“What's it about? Maybe a faceless, long-legged pony? Or maybe one with a bunch of tentacles on its face?” Scootaloo asked excitedly.



“Nope! It's about the farm.” Apple Bloom heard her two friends gasp, each looking at each other with shocked faces before turning back to the storyteller. “I don't know how true it is, but Granny says that a long time ago the farm was lived in by quite a few of our relatives. They each shared rooms in the old farmhouse, but at one point the family got too big. The problem was that no pony wanted to move away from the farm, so Granny's parents set a few up in the barn next to all the animals.”



“Eww, gross,” Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo said in unison.



Apple Bloom laughed. "I'm sure it was, but somethin' started happenin' to the ponies that slept in the barn. Every few nights, they could hear a pony screamin' all the way from the farm house. Granny and her parents would run out to the barn to see one of the relatives begin to freak out and scream nonsense. They let them get over their fit before coming back the next night, seeing that they had disappeared."



"No way," Scootaloo interrupted. "Did this really happen?"



"Granny never said, but after a while more ponies went missin'. After four had disappeared, my great grandparents sent the rest in the barn on their way to make sure that they were all safe. They tore down the old barn to its foundation and built another just to get rid of the memories that haunted it. Granny says that you can still hear the screams now and then of mad ponies coming from the barn."



"Have you heard any yourself?" Sweetie Belle asked, scooting close to Apple Bloom.



"I didn't before Granny told me the story, but I think I might've after, though. She also told me to no pony has gone down into the old cellar, either. No pony was ever found there, but after dark no pony has gone down there and it stays locked."



Scootaloo stood and hoisted Sweetie's saddlebag onto her back and looked out towards the barn in the distance. "What if we go to the barn tonight?" she asked, catching the other two fillies off guard. "Sure telling ghost stories is fine, but hunting them would be even cooler!"



"I don't know, Scootaloo. Applejack made it very clear that I can't go anywhere near the cellar at night, not even with her and Big Macintosh."



"It'll be fine, Apple Bloom! We might see some spiders crawling on some cows and chickens, but we don't have to worry about that. Plus we can be Cutie Mark Crusader Ghost Hunters!" She yelled, holding her hoof in the air before grabbing the blue and gold cape out from Sweetie's bag and tying it around her neck.



"Hey, that's my cape!" Sweetie yelled out.



"I'm just borrowing it," Scootaloo explained, beginning to trot towards the darkened barn in the distance. "Who's with me?"



"Oh, what the hay. I'll come," Apple Bloom said, trotting up behind Scootaloo. "You comin' Sweetie Belle?"



"Sure, but it does sound scary," Sweetie admitted. "What should we do about the fire?"



"Here." Next to the pile of wood was a bucket of old water which Apple Bloom trotted up to. She grasped the handle and tossed the liquid onto the fire, smothering it completely. Only a small wisp of smoke remained as well as the hiss of the dying flame. "There we go. We're all ready."



"Great, I'll lead the way!" Scootaloo said, turning around to meet the twos' eyes.



"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS GHOST HUNTERS, YAY!" the three shouted in unison. Apple Bloom quickly looked over at the farm house, watching to see if any lights would turn on because of their shouting. None did, letting her breathe a sigh of relief. With the near-crisis averted, the three began their quest to gain their ghost hunting cutie marks.

~*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*~

It took them only a few minutes before they arrived at the Apple family's signature red and white-trimmed barn. The inside was quiet as most of the animals had fallen asleep, while the outside was filled with the noise of the fillies' excitement. The barn appeared the same to Apple Bloom as it always did as she stood outside the large wooden doors. No strange noises were present, nor anything out of the usual. She steeled her courage and walked up to the barn doors, noticing that there was no padlock present. Applejack had always told her that it was locked every night, but just as the filly thought, it was just something to keep her out of trouble.



"So, is it open?" Scootaloo asked, trying to peak around Apple Bloom's shoulder. Apple Bloom brushed her aside as she grasped the side of handle of the barn door. With all of her natural earth pony strength, she laboriously pulled the heavy door open, watching it slide along the path the door scraped out from its many years of use.



"Yup," Apple Bloom confirmed with her best Big Macintosh impression. Her friends laughed before peeking their heads through the door and into the nearly pitch black barn. Scootaloo dug out the flashlight from the saddlebags and flipped it on before holding it in her mouth. Apple Bloom let go of the door handle and trotted up beside Sweetie Belle, both staying behind Scootaloo as she pointed the flashlight in every direction she could. Apple Bloom felt a sharp wave of nerves run down her spine as the barn was filled with the sounds of animals breathing while the hot stuffy air made it hard to breathe.



Scootaloo directed the flashlight up to the rafters, noticing only the barn's ceiling while down on the ground several types of cows, pigs, and steer were huddled next to each other in slumber. Apple Bloom wanted to smile, but her face showed a sign of disappointment instead. As much as she wanted her cutie mark, having her special talent be going into haunted buildings looking for ghosts was not something she looked forward to having. She hid her relief in front of her friends though, making sure that they could have their fun without her doubts bogging them down. They trotted over piles of hay as Scootaloo scrambled to search in corners untouched by starlight for anything, making the loose hay rustle loudly in the process.



"Shh," Sweetie Belle said in a whisper, giving Scootaloo pause. She slowed to a tip-hoof, pointing the flashlight back up to the rafters for a second sweep. Unfortunately for the two ghost hunters, the lone wooden beams were the only thing to greet them. Scootaloo sighed and directed the light back down to the ground, allowing them to see the path out of the empty barn.



"Not even a single noise? How disappointing," Scootaloo whispered, heading for the door. Apple Bloom sighed in relief and waited for Scootaloo to pass before walking behind her.



As Apple Bloom began to walk, she felt a sudden wave of dizziness wash over her. She stopped for a second and held one of her hooves to her forehead, waiting for the sensation to wear off while keeping her eyes pointed down to the ground. Her breathing grew labored as the room swirled around her. She looked up, seeing her friends turn to her with worried looks on their faces. As quickly as the sensation arose it disappeared, leaving the three standing in the barn in silence. Apple Bloom took her hoof off of her head and shook it to rid herself of the lingering feeling.



"Are you alright?" Sweetie Belle asked, sounding as if she had said it multiple times during Apple Bloom's episode.



"Y-yeah. My head just hurt, that's all," Apple Bloom explained, catching up to her friends. She went through the attack a few times in her mind as they approached the open door, never coming up with anything that could explain it. Apple Bloom watched her friends leave the barn as a sudden twinge in the back of her head flared, making her grasp it. A chill ran down her spine and she stood frozen to the ground, feeling as if something was boring into her head. It was as if something were watching her. Frantically, she swung her head around and up near the rafters but saw nothing but the wood and ceiling that comprised it.



She shook off the feeling and bolted to the door, passing the threshold with incredible speed as she began to pant. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo proceeded to push the door closed, making a large thud as it fit into its grove. Apple Bloom looked back at the barn, falling onto her flank as she caught her breath. What was that? she asked herself, putting her hoof up to her heart and felt it beat at an alarming pace.



"What happened back there? You just froze," Scootaloo asked, trotting up to the sitting filly and extending a hoof to help her up.



"I... I don't know," Apple Bloom said, grasping Scootaloo's foreleg and pulling herself back up on all fours. She adjusted her crooked red ribbon and dusted off her flank. "One second I was fine, then the other my head just started to hurt."



"Maybe we should go back to the tree house. I don't like it over here," Sweetie Belle admitted, looking back towards the smoldering fire.



"We only have one more place to investigate!" Scootaloo said in an excited tone. "All we need to do is check down in the cellar, avoid a few cobwebs and piles of dust, and we'll have our cutie marks!" She stood facing the wind, letting the breeze blow her cape back to reveal her blank flank. "What do you girls say?"



Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle looked at each other, Sweetie Belle shrugging before trotting over to Scootaloo. There was a small sense of worry in her face, yet she stood by Scootaloo's side regardless. With no other options, Apple Bloom joined her friends, shaking as Scootaloo turned to face the cellar beside the barn.



"If we're going to do this, we should do it now while everypony's asleep," Apple Bloom said, trotting up to the down slanted and slightly rotted wooden doors that made up the cellar's entrance. The cellar was surrounded by several patches of brown weeds and shriveled vies that climbed over the doors and up the side of the barn. It had been a few years since she remembered anypony going into it, making her strain to remember what exactly was held down inside it. As she had expected, there was a padlock binding the two doors together. She grabbed one of the metal handles and tugged, hoping that the lock would break from just a few good pulls. After a few attempts, she let go. "It's locked," she stated, hearing groans and sighs from the two fillies behind her.



"Let me try it," Scootaloo said, grabbing the other handle and pulled. Apple Bloom quickly resumed pulling as well, the two fillies stretching the lock's stability as much as they could. She could feel sweat drip off her hide as she repeatedly yanked at the door. The two growled in strained voices as they both made one last pull, both trying as hard as they could. Sweetie Belle watched from the back, watching the lock intensely. Before Apple Bloom could ask for help she heard a loud crack from Scootaloo's door, making Sweetie Belle jump back.



"The lock is breaking off the door!" Sweetie Belle announced, running up to grab Apple Bloom's handle.



"What are you doing?" Apple Bloom asked, feeling her back legs about to give from the effort.



"Both of you keep pulling; I'll help break it off." Sweetie Belle yanked on the door as Apple Bloom did, causing the wood threaded by the screws to crack and splinter further. "Just a little more..." With one final pull, the latch support broke off from Scootaloo's door, causing the fillies to fall backwards as the doors flew open. The doors stopped with a loud thud on the ground as Apple Bloom shook herself off and got up to her hooves. She took a moment to breathe before noticing the cellar wide open. A tired smile slipped across her face as she approached before coughing from the several year old dust threatened to clog her windpipe.



"What do you think is down there?" Scootaloo asked, turning to Apple Bloom. She stuck her head down by the stairs, peering into the darkness.



"I think maybe some old cider that nopony drank, or supplies that we haven't used 'round the farm for a while," Apple Bloom hypothesized, waving the dust away from her face.



"Well, what are we waiting for?" Scootaloo asked, taking her first step down the stairs. "Let's find ourselves a ghost!"



"Yeah!" Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom exclaimed in unison. It was hard for Apple Bloom to not be swept up in Scootaloo's infectious excitement. She looked down the stairs, watching Scootaloo's hoof disappear into the darkness. After a nervous gulp, she descended the wooden stairs. Scootaloo whipped out the flashlight and held it in her mouth, illuminating the long path downward. Sweetie Belle followed shortly after.



The descent was much longer than they had expected. Even with the moon and starlight, the path was consumed by darkness, leaving only the cone of light from the flashlight to cut through it. Apple Bloom hacked as the dust filled air grew thicker, making it hard for her to breathe or keep her eyes open. She kept her mouth closed, afraid to speak. After half a minute of silent trotting, the path opened up. The light shone off of a set of wooden shelving and mason jars on the floor.



"Are there any candles down here?" Sweetie Belle asked. "I can't see a thing."



"There should be," Apple Bloom said, groping the outer walls to give her a sense of direction. She ran her hoof along the wooden panels, watching Scootaloo scan the room. Just like she expected, a large pile of broken down farm equipment lay at the corners of the room, right beside a few wooden barrels. She kept her outward momentum as she made her way around the cellar, squinting her eyes to find the faint silhouettes of candles.



"Does anypony hear something?" Scootaloo whispered. Apple Bloom stopped moving and focused. The only noises she could hear was a small dripping from the other side of the room and the three's breathing.



"Nothin'," Apple Bloom said, shivering. The silence and darkness weighed down on her as her eyes followed Scootaloo's light feverishly. Her breathing grew quicker as she resumed her patrol, failing to find any stray candles in the oppressive cellar. Suddenly, the sound of jars breaking filled the room, causing Apple Bloom and Scootaloo to scream. Scootaloo quickly pointed her flashlight at the source, revealing Sweetie Belle covered in cider as broken barrels were littered at her hooves.



"Are you alright?" Apple Bloom asked, running up to the drenched filly.



"Yeah, just a little wet though," Sweetie Belle said, brushing the cider out from her coat.



Both Scootaloo and Apple Bloom breathed sighs of relief. Apple Bloom held out her hoof and helped her friend up, helping her get the cider out of her coat. Just as Apple Bloom opened her mouth to speak again, the twinge in the back of her head returned, making her double over in pain as she collapsed on the ground amongst the broken jars. She held her head with her hoof as a piercing buzzing noise burrowed into her head, as well as the sound of scratching coming from the walls around her. With all of her energy, she slammed her free hoof against the fallen shelf and tried pulling herself up.



"Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle said in shock, grasping the pained filly to stabilize her. "What's wrong?"



Before she could answer, Scootaloo began to scream. Apple Bloom quickly looked over as the flashlight fell out of Scootaloo's mouth. "Scootaloo?" she cried out as he light fell to the floor with a loud clang, rolling across the ground. It threw creeping shadows across the ground before the fireflies inside grew dark. Sweetie Belle let go of Apple Bloom and rushed to where Scootaloo was, toppling over another bookcase before Scootaloo's cries grew quieter and muffled until there was only silence.



"Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle yelled, trying to find the filly in the darkness. Apple Bloom shook herself off and grabbed the flashlight, hitting it until the fireflies lit up once more. She quickly pointed the light at Sweetie Belle, seeing no trace of the young pegasus anywhere near. She saw only Sweetie Belle sitting on the ground, patting her hooves where Scootaloo stood only a few moments ago.



"Where are you!? Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle cried out.



Apple Bloom took the flashlight out from her mouth. "Did you see anything?"



"No, I just-" A low growl cut Sweetie Belle off, causing a chill to run down Apple Bloom's spine. She took the flashlight again and frantically scanned the room, seeing nothing amongst the shelves and piles of junk.



"Run!" Apple Bloom cried. Sweetie Belle got up to her hooves and bolted towards the door with no regard for anything in her path. Apple Bloom followed with the flashlight in mouth. She followed closely behind, trying to ignore the nagging pain as she saw starlight filtering down from the open cellar doors. Sweetie was first to reach the stairs, powering her way up before Apple Bloom took her first step.



As Apple Bloom touched the first stair, her other forehoof hit brushed against something soft and sticky, making her fall forward. Her head bounced off the corner of one of the steps, causing her to yelp in pain. She tried to get up while Sweetie Belle made it out of the cellar, but felt the squishy material wrap around her ankle. Frantically, she pushed forward against it as she felt herself getting dragged backwards back into the room. She looked back as the growls grew louder, still yanking her back hoof while tears streamed down her cheek. Her eyes shrunk to pinpoints as two yellow eyes opened, its slit of pupils staring at her with a hypnotic intensity.



"Apple Bloom!?" Sweetie Belle cried out from outside. Apple Bloom frenziedly reached her forhooves out and forced them into the dirt, fighting against the creature's pull. She heard the clopping of Sweetie Belle's hooves as she descended the stairs.



"Help me!" Apple Bloom cried out, feeling the sticky strands of the tendrils began to break off. She pushed harder, hearing the creature growl louder as the goo traveled further up her leg. It yanked harder, causing Apple Bloom's planted hooves to drag across the ground. She forced her eyes away from its, fighting against her throbbing headache and attacker as Sweetie Belle entered the room. "Sweetie Belle, help!" she cried again, now sobbing as the sticky tentacle went coiled around her leg once more.



"Hold on!" her friend shouted, running up to her and grabbing her hooves. Apple Bloom felt her body nearly tearing in two, noticing the grip on her leg beginning to loosen. With one last pull, she broke away from the monster, toppling into Sweetie Belle as the growls began to soften and grow quieter as the creature shrank back into the darkness. She felt her heart beat through her chest and her lungs taking empty breaths she got her and Sweetie Belle up to their hooves. Without a word the two barreled up the stairs, the mental pain in Apple Bloom's head dissipating completely.



The two jumped out into the inviting starlight and quickly slammed the two cellar doors shut. Apple Bloom slumped to the ground and inspected her hoof, seeing red marks pressed into her skin where the thing had grabbed her. It burned at the touch, causing her to reel her hoof back in pain. Her breathing slowed down as the two sat at the entrance of the cellar, letting the cool nighttime wind cool off her heated and shivering body.



"Did... did that thing get Scootaloo?" Sweetie asked, turning to Apple Bloom. She visibly shook, her emerald eyes darting back and forth as she stared at the dead ground. "She's not pranking us, is she?"



"How could she?!" Apple Bloom snapped. "She wouldn't do this to us, and I felt it! It was slimy and gross... and it wasn't Scootaloo!"



The two sat in silence as a light from the farm house illuminated one of the upper windows. Apple Bloom put her head in her hooves, trying to keep her mind off what had just happened to Scootaloo. Her breathing and heart rate slowed back to normal before another wave of tears pooled under her eyes. She violently shook as she let the tears stream down her face, holding her hoof to her bludgeoned head as Sweetie Belle poked her shoulder.



"Apple Bloom, it's your sister!" the unicorn announced, prompting the crying filly to lift her head and look towards the farm house. An orange pony with a blond mane came galloping towards them at a quick pace, making Apple Bloom shrink back into the barn wall and cover her eyes as if to hide from the mare.



"What's goin' on here?" the mare yelled, slowing to a stop in front of the two fillies. "I heard a scream."



"It's Scootaloo, Applejack!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed, pointing down to the cellar. "We were exploring and trying to get our ghost hunting cutie marks, but-"



"Apple Bloom, what have I told you about goin' down to the cellar?" Applejack snapped, causing her sister to sink further into the wall. "It's locked for a reason. Also this nonsense 'bout ghosts you've been on and all has to stop. Granny's tales are stories, that's all."



Apple Bloom stood and faced her sister. "Applejack, Scootaloo-"



"Don't blame your friends, Apple Bloom! I thought you'd grown past this, but I guess I was wrong. Go back to the tree house. I have enough trouble with the missing apples; I don't need anymore this early in the mornin'." She sighed and wiped her eyes. "Please. We still have the last of the harvest coming."



"Applejack! We have to save her! She's in real trouble!" Apple Bloom protested, stomping her hoof into the ground. "Get Big Macintosh, get anypony!"



"The tree house! Now!" Applejack argued, grasping the back of Apple Bloom's neck. She began to pull her, forcing Apple Bloom to plant her hooves into the ground as they dragged through the dirt.



"What are you doing? You aren't normally like this!" Apple Bloom shouted, ducking and backing away from her sister. "I know you worked all day, but you can't take it out on Scootaloo! She needs help!"



"That's enough out of you," Applejack hissed, her eyes boring through Apple Bloom with a strange intensity that twisted a knot in her stomach. Before Apple Bloom could react, Applejack grabbed her again and pulled once more, bringing Apple Bloom to her knees. She thrust her head back, pushing it against her sister's foreleg to no avail. Applejack started to walk towards the tree house, leaving the barn behind as she dragged Apple Bloom through the hard and dried ground.



She struggled and flailed for a little longer before she let herself be carried along. Between her sister and whatever lay in the cellar, she didn't have the strength left to fight any longer. She only felt tears begin to well into her eyes as Scootaloo drew further and further away with each yank from Applejack through the cold night.



Applejack stopped in front of the ramp and set Apple Bloom down. Apple Bloom fell over from being unprepared, her knees buckling before slumping to the ground. She looked up to her sister with tears streaming down her face, staring into Applejack's seemingly glowing eyes.



"Get some sleep. I'll handle it in the morning," Applejack said, turning away from the two fillies. "I had better not see you go out there again tonight, or all three of you will be workin' all day tomorrow, do you hear me?"



"But..." Apple Bloom spoke up, but stopped as Applejack turned and glared at her with a tired scowl. "I... I'm s-sorry," Apple Bloom sniffled, struggling to get back to her hooves. Applejack simply nodded her head and walked away, leaving Apple Bloom alone with Sweetie Belle as the smallest bands of yellow rose over the horizon. She bowed her head and trotted up the ramp, trying to piece together everything that happened within the last few minutes. It felt like the world had turned upside down, and she was struggling to stay level. She sniffed as she opened the door.



"What do we do now?" Sweetie Belle asked, looking back over at the barn. "We have to go back... but Applejack-"



"What screw turned loose with her!?" Apple Bloom asked, flopping on her cot and throwing her blanket over her. "She always helps ponies! Why would she abandon Scootaloo like that?" She buried her head in her pillow, fighting back another wave of tears. The spiral burn on her leg flared up again, making her wince in pain. She heard Scootaloo's scream play again in her head as Sweetie Belle was silent. Angrily she covered her ears with her pillow, trying to drown the noise out.



Sweetie Belle kept quiet as she slipped into a comfortable position as well, facing away from Apple Bloom as the two lay in silence. Apple Bloom felt her eyes threaten to close on the own accord as the bands of the signaling dawn grew brighter. She surrendered to her fatigue and closed her eyes, hoping to wake with Scootaloo in the cot next to her.

~*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*~

Apple Bloom's eyes snapped open as she lay on her small cot. She stared up at the ceiling with a blank expression on her face as the sun made its way through the eastern window. Her body violently shivered, making her grab her blanket and pull it closer to her face. Sweetie Belle lay beside her, quietly sleeping as Apple Bloom continued to remain motionless. Before she could drift off again, the searing pain of her hoof caused her to jump out of the cot and land on to the floor at her side. She slowly got herself up and grabbed her red ribbon from the floor that must have fallen off as she slept, tying it around her mane. In the hopes of a miracle, she trotted to Scootaloo's cot, seeing the young pegasus still not with them. She felt her stomach turn at the sight and trotted away, walking out the door into the morning air.



Her family was outside and hard at work harvesting the remaining apples of the year. The air was balmy as the sun shone brightly through the orange and red covered trees. Applejack bucked a few of the tress before watching Apple Bloom slowly trot down the winding wooden ramp. She placed the bushel down next to the tree's trunk and galloped across the field to her sister, seeing her eyes sunken in as Apple Bloom looked up at her.



"You're up early," Applejack said, rubbing the filly's mane with her hoof. "You sleep well?"



"No," Apple Bloom admitted, looking down at the ground. The anger she had pent up last night boiled up to the surface, ready to explode from Apple Bloom's mouth. "Why did you help me last night! I needed your help, and you weren't there!" she screamed, staring intensely at her sister.



Applejack put her hoof to her chin and looked up in thought. "I don't remember gettin' up early last night," the mare explained, placing her hoof back on the ground. Apple Bloom's fierce expression turned blank as her sister spoke. "What happened?"



"W-We told some scary stories, and Scootaloo got the idea of going to the barn, then we all went down. She screamed, and we started runnin', and somethin' grabbed my leg." Apple Bloom pointed down at her hoof, tracing along the spiral blemish that coiled around it. "It tried pulling me, but Sweetie Belle saved me. Scootaloo's still down there!"



Applejack bent down to inspect Apple Bloom's leg wound. "It looks like rope burn to me. Are you sure you weren't just seeing things last night?"



"I know what I saw!" Apple Bloom argued as her body shook violently. "I was so worried that I couldn't sleep last night. Can we please go down to find her?"



"Let's go. The apples can wait for a little while." Applejack raised herself back up and motioned her sister towards the barn with her following closely behind. The closer the cellar doors were, the more Apple Bloom wanted to run away as fast as she possibly could. She could feel her heart trying to leap out of her chest as they approached and she gulped as her stomach threatened to turn.



"What happened here?" Applejack asked, inspecting the broken hinge. She turned to Apple Bloom, then back down at the doors, using her hoof to move the latch back and forth. "How'd you three break it?"



"Uh, we just pulled, and it broke off," the filly admitted. Splinters littered the ground around her, giving her pause as to where she stepped. With a small sigh, Applejack grasped the door handle and opened it, letting crash into the ground beside her. The two stood silently as they both looked down the shaft, Apple Bloom sweating and feeling her head begin to throb once more.



"Let's go take a look," Applejack said, beginning her descent down the stairs. With no warning, her sister lunged towards her and grabbed on, stopping her in her tracks. "Apple Bloom, what's wrong?"



After realizing her folly, Apple Bloom stripped her hooves away from her sister, her face red with embarrassment. "I... I'm sorry, sis," she muttered, looking up at her sister as Applejack wore a confused face.



"We'll get this done quickly if you're scared, alright?" Applejack suggested with a smile, taking the edge off of Apple Bloom's nerves. The filly stiffly nodded before Applejack walked further down the steps. Shaking, Apple Bloom followed close behind, feeling the darkness envelop her as her headache grew in intensity.



They reached the bottom, sending a chill down Apple Bloom's spine. Applejack lit one of the candles the Crusaders had failed to see, throwing light to every corner of the small room. As the flame flickered, a small noise caught the two ponies' attention. The sisters kept their breaths shallow as the small, sharp noise grew louder.



"Is that... cryin'?" Applejack asked, causing Apple Bloom perk her ears and listen closer. The noise grew a bit louder, sounding more like a wail or whine. Apple Bloom rushed forward past the shelves and turned to the source of the cry. She shivered. "S-Scootaloo!?" Curled up and facing the cellar wall, the orange pegasus lay shivering and whimpering. Apple Bloom approached her, shaking with a mix of nerves and slight joy. Scootaloo turned over, opening her sunken in eyes and looking up at her friend. Her frame was skinnier than Apple Bloom had remembered, and even in the orange and yellow light her hide was sickly pale. Her breathing was slow, but jolted as small cries escaped from the filly's mouth.



"Applejack, it's Scootaloo!" she cried out, prompting the mare into action. She placed her hoof on Scootaloo, feeling the pegasus violently shiver as Applejack reached the two fillies. She leaned down and lifted Scootaloo's head, brushing her mane away from her neck.



"Now what could'a caused this?" Applejack asked, pointing to Scootaloo's neck. Four red marks, two above the others were dug into the side of the filly's throat. Small trails of dried blood found the same red depressions that coiled around her hooves covering Scootaloo's muzzle and chin as if she had been restrained.



"We need to help her! Call Big Macintosh! Call Nurse Redheart!" Apple Bloom cried out, trying to hold back tears as she looked on her mangled friend.



"I'll take care of gettin' her outta here, you go up and get some help," Applejack commanded, leaning in closer to Scootaloo to inspect her for further injuries. Apple Bloom gulped as she nodded back. She bolted up the stairs and out of the cellar, tears streamed own her face as the pressure for being calm dissipated. Her mind scrambled to come up with what to start with as the guilt from the night before made her chest feel hollow, distracting her further. Out in the distance, she saw her brother picking up where Applejack had left off.



"Big Macintosh!" she called out, watching the stallion buck the tree he was near one last time before turning his attention to her. "It's an emergency!"



The stallion galloped over, looking down at Apple Bloom with a calm face. "What is it, Apple Bloom?"



"Could you run out to town and get a doctor?" she asked, sniffing and wiping a few tears from her cheek. "We found Scootaloo down in the cellar, and she's hurt really badly. I need to go get Sweetie Belle up."



"Alright, I'll be right back," he said before darting down the road towards Ponyville, leaving Apple Bloom with the task of telling her friend what Scootaloo could have gone through. As she went to the clubhouse, visions of the night before played in her head; the fear, the desperation, and the helplessness came rushing back to her. She stopped for a moment and rubbed her head where it throbbed, thinking about how she could have been the broken mess that Scootaloo came back as. When she started again her pace was slow and plodding, dreading the news she had to give to her sleeping friend. Tentatively she went up the ramp into the clubhouse, seeing Sweetie Belle still fast asleep on her cot.



"Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom said softly, trying to to jolt her friend awake. Sweetie Belle stirred a little, turning away from Apple Bloom. The earth pony walked a little closer, coming right up next to her and gently rocked her. "Sweetie belle, get up."



"W-what?" the unicorn mumbled, straining to open her eyes. "Apple Bloom? What is it?"



"We found Scootaloo!" Apple Bloom announced, causing Sweetie Belle to spring out of her cot. "My sister and I found her back in the cellar this mornin'."



"Is she alright?"



"Well Big Macintosh is goin' into Ponyville to get a doctor." Sweetie Belle's eyes narrowed at the announcement, washing her face in confusion. "She doesn't look well..."



"So she wasn't pulling a prank on us?" Sweetie Belle asked, peering out the window at the barn. "What are we waiting for, we have to see her!"



"Applejack might've gotten her up the stairs by now. Let's go." The two fillies bolted out of the clubhouse door, heading back towards the barn where Applejack was just now leaving the cellar with Scootaloo draped over her back. She slowly set the pegasus down in a patch of green grass, watching the two fillies run towards her.



"Did you get a doctor over here?" Applejack asked as Apple Bloom stopped in front of Scootaloo's resting body. The only sound that escaped the pegasus was her breathing which sounded short and quick.



"Big Macintosh is going out to get one," Apple Bloom said, kneeling down next to her injured friend. Scootaloo appeared much more pale and fragile in the sunlight, her chest rising and falling in quick succession as her ribs pressed up against her hide making her look even worse. Sweetie Belle knelt down in front of Scootaloo and stared at her friend's state. She sniffled and placed her hoof on Scootaloo's shoulder, Scootaloo unmoving to the touch.



"Good. Now, what happened down there?" Applejack asked, turning her head up to the two fillies. "This doesn't look like any rotten cider sickness or injury I've ever seen."



"I-I don't know, we just heard her scream and get taken away. We couldn't see anything," Apple Bloom said, shivering as she did.



"I had to go back in to save Apple Bloom before it got her too!" Sweetie Belle added, wiping a few tears from her eyes. "What if it comes back for her!?"



"Now don't go soundin' the alarms, yet. We have to make sure she's treated first," Applejack said, focusing her gaze on the farm's front gate. "Can you two help me bring her inside? We have some tape to get her neck wound wrapped up at least."



"Sure," Apple Bloom confirmed as she slowly rose. She waited for Sweetie Belle to come up next to her before she began her trek back to the farm house. It took them only a few moments, but it felt much longer to her with her friend's rasped breathing sending pains of fear down her spine. She opened the front door into the main room, stepping out of the way to let Applejack and Scootaloo through.



Applejack set the filly down on her back on the couch on the far side of the room before heading into the kitchen. Apple Bloom sat down on the floor next to the couch along with Sweetie Belle, watching the front door carefully. Out from the kitchen came Applejack with a white roll of tape in her mouth as well as her grandmother Granny Smith. The green earth pony hobbled into the room, discussing something with Applejack that prompted her to nod. Applejack stood in front of the couch and lifted Scootaloo's head, wrapping the white tape around her neck several times.



"Shouldn't the doctor look at that first?" Apple Bloom asked in a worried tone.



"I'll take it off when they get here, don't you worry," Applejack explained as she knelt down at Scootaloo's side. Apple Bloom kept her eyes transfixed on the door, hearing Applejack tell instructions to Granny Smith. "She's burnin' up, get me a bucket of cold water and a towel," Applejack said, patting the filly's forehead.



Apple Bloom began to zone out as the hour ticked by, unable to focus on anything as Scootaloo's breaths grew quicker and more pained. She heard hoofsteps all throughout the room, yet she kept staring at the door, waiting for Big Macintosh to come through. A few more moments passed by before she rose and paced back and forth, watching Scootaloo lay with a look of agony wash over her face. She had to turn away before the tears that welled in her eyes had the chance to fall.



As she took another lap around the living room, the door opened, causing everyone to raise their heads to see Big Macintosh come through the door with a white unicorn with a red cross cutie mark on her flank and a nurse's cap atop her mane Nurse Redheart made her way to Scootaloo, Applejack stepping aside as the nurse stripped the pegasus's bandages off to inspect the wounds. Apple Bloom watched nervously as the mare went to work, leaning in close for inspection.



"...the sudden weight loss and pale hide are definitely signs of low blood cell count..." Nurse Redheart explained, speaking to Applejack. "Even a filly this small shouldn't have her ribs showing like this. What happened?



"Apple Bloom says it's a monster down in the cellar," Applejack said, looking over at her sister.



"The cellar? Didn't I tell you to stay away from there?" Granny Smith scolded, eying Apple Bloom.



"It was just a story," Apple Bloom argued back. "How were we supposed to know there was somethin' down there?"



"Wait outside! You don't talk back to your elders like that," Granny Smith snapped, causing Apple Bloom to take a step back.



"We'll make sure nothin' happens to Scootaloo, alright? Just make sure to stay outta trouble," Applejack said in a reassuring tone, motioning them outside with her hooves.



Without an response Apple Bloom slowly plodded out of the room, shuffling her hooves as she went into the fresh air. She sighed and plopped down onto the ground, shivering as her headache once again returned. After sniffling, she buried her head between her legs in an attempt to drown out everything around her and in her mind. As her mind blanked, a small twinge flared up and nearly made her want to run back to the clubhouse to escape it. Instead she sat, feeling the twinge begin to hum in her head a soft and nearly incomprehensible buzz.



"Do you mind if I sit here?" Sweetie Belle asked, bringing Apple Bloom out from her trance. She lifted her head and nodded, watching the unicorn sit down next to her. Voices could still be heard from the farm house, some argumentative while others sympathetic. She couldn't make them out, but knew that Scootaloo's wasn't amongst them.



"What should we do?" Apple Bloom asked, staring out into the field. "I should'a never told that story last night!"



"We couldn't have known that there would really be a monster down there!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed, kicking a pebble near her hoof into the grass. "What do you think it is?"



"I don't know. All I could tell was that it was sticky and squishy," Apple Bloom explained, rubbing her scarred leg. It was still painful to the touch, but didn't burn as much in the open air. "Do you think she escaped on her own?"



"Why would a monster give up a filly like that? I'm sure she did." Sweetie Belle rose to her hooves, stomping one down into the dirt. "We have to go back down there and face it head on!"



"Are you crazy? That thing'll eat us alive!" Apple Bloom paused. "We don't even know what it is!"



"Don't you remember your story Apple Bloom? We're lucky that we found Scootaloo after the first night. For all we know, the next time she'll be gone forever!" Sweetie Belle clapped her hooves together as a confident grin grew on her face. "We need to strike while it's least likely to expect us. We just have to be better prepared for next time."



"Applejack and I didn't see anythin' while we were down getting Scootaloo. What if we don't find anything?"



"We'll worry about that later. Scootaloo brought some stuff to the clubhouse that I think will really help." Sweetie Belle ran forward towards the tree house, motioning Apple Bloom to the follow. The earth pony sighed and got up, galloping to her friend's side. They both ran to the ramp, Apple Bloom glancing over her shoulder to take another look at the farm house. After a violent shiver, she climbed up the ramp after Sweetie Belle, wondering what kind of things Scootaloo could have brought that would help them in any way.



As she went through the threshold, Apple Bloom's eyes widened at the pile of items on the club house floor. Another two flashlights lay on the ground along with several bags of food, wooden sticks, Scootaloo's helmet, and a ball. It didn't look much like a monster hunting kit, but anything could help she guessed. She walked up to one of the sticks and swung it around, feeling a little safer with the blunt piece of wood in her mouth.



"I think this is it," Sweetie Belle explained, trotting over to the item piled corner and began to rummage through it once more. Apple Bloom took her own bag from the pile and spilled out its contents and replacing it with one of the bags of food and a flashlight. She set the stick in the other bag, letting it jut out as she closed the lid. "Yep, this is it."



"Do you really think this is going to work?" Apple Bloom asked, looking out the window at the farm house. The sun was closer to the horizon than she expected; the wait for the nurse to arrive must have been longer than she remembered. As it dawned on her, her stomach growled, something she most likely ignored while she paced in the farm house. "What's the plan?"



"Well, we go down before dark and strike while it's not expecting us," Sweetie Belle explained, swinging her stick though the air. "If one of us gets caught, we can get each other out like I did before."



"Okay, but we should eat first. I haven't had anythin' all day," Apple Bloom said with a nervous shiver before sitting down on the wooden floor. Sweetie Belle nodded as sat down herself, taking one of the many apples in the bushels and taking a bite. The two ate as much as they could, each of them trying to relax before they starting their operation. "We should start at the barn," she suggested in the middle of chewing an apple. "I got that weird headache there before Scootaloo was captured, then again down in the cellar. Maybe there's somethin' there that we missed."



"Alright, we'll go there first," Sweetie Belle answered. They both nodded to each other before taking another bite of their apples. Apple Bloom rubbed her injured leg in anticipation, hoping that what happened was truly nothing, and her injury was really rope burn after all.

~*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*~

The afternoon air had turned cold as it whipped through the apple trees. Leafless branches rattled as the two ponies stood in front of the barn once more. Apple Bloom took a deep breath and adjusted her full saddlebag in an attempt to make this as comfortable as possible. She still shook from nerves regardless, imaging the yellow, slit eyes of the creature staring into her own. It was enough to make her want to hide in the safety of the farm house or back at the tree house. She closed her eyes and breathed slowly to shake the feeling, clearing her mind and focus on avenging Scootaloo.



The wind vane above them squeaked loudly as the gale lashed about, sending another chill down the young filly's spine as they arrived at the barn. She gulped, closing her eyes and breathing methodically to steel herself before approaching the door. She opened her eyes and looked up the handle, watching the wind vane swing erractically back and forth.



"What should we be looking for?" Sweetie Belle asked with a hint of nerves in her voice. She shivered, giving Apple Bloom a little solace that she wasn't alone.



"All I remember was its eyes. It felt like it was boring into my head." Apple Bloom rubbed the back of her head, feeling her headache come about once more.



"O-okay."



Apple Bloom grasped the barn door handle and heaved, opening it with much greater ease than she could before. She let it go, letting it block the wind for them as they peered inside. It was relatively unchanged from the night before, seeing only hoof prints from the three pattered amongst the straw. She slowly entered, hearing only the beating of her heart as the shadows inside completely covered the ground. Without a second thought, she grabbed her flashlight out from her bag. She shook it, letting the fireflies inside light up before pointing it into the barn.



"See anything?" Sweetie Belle asked, stepping inside herself. Apple Bloom looked up to the rafters, waiting to see if the same boring sensation would come back to her. She pointed the light down to the ground while she waited. Besides some of the animals being in different places, the barn appeared relatively untouched. She trotted in further, letting the straw crunch beneath her hooves. The animals were already asleep, putting her at ease.



"Nope, just the animals," Apple Bloom called back. She breathed a sigh of relief, letting the flashlight fall to the ground. Suddenly a twinge of pain flared in the back of her head, causing her to turn, seeing something race by one of the upper windows. "There!" she called out, pointing up towards the window while holding her head. A loud screech came from outside as several of the animals began to cry out as well, turning the barn into a loud hive of activity. Apple Bloom grabbed Sweetie Belle and brought her down to the ground, both of them lying on the floor as the object swooped by again.



"Did you see it!?" Sweetie Belle asked, her body shivering and shaking. Apple Bloom frantically looked up again, then felt a breeze come in through the open barn door.



"Stay down!" Apple Bloom commanded before rushing towards the entrance. She grabbed the handle and pulled once more, hearing the loud and piercing screech come closer around the barn. The filly yelled out in a strained effort, constantly looking back and forth between her friend and the outside in case it ever showed. Before the entity called out again, she slammed the barn door and jumped to grab the top of the wooden bar and force it down into the metal stopper. She panted, slumping onto the ground as the creature screeched once more.



"What do we do now?"



"I... I don't know," Apple Bloom said, crawling back towards Sweetie Belle. They waited silently in the middle of the barn, watching whatever was outside pass by less and less. As Apple Bloom's breaths slowed, the figure failed to show itself and the animals inside calmed to silence. She slowly stood, keeping her breath low. Her legs felt like coiled springs, ready to run if anything made a sound.



"Is... is it gone?" Sweetie Belle asked in a hushed voice. Before Apple Bloom could answer, a rapping sound echoed through the barn from the outside. Apple Bloom backed away, bumping into a sleeping cow as Sweetie Belle stood perfectly still, petrified. The noise grew louder and more frequent, matching the thumps of Apple Bloom's heart. Just as it tapped at a furious speed, it stopped, leaving the two fillies alone again with the sound of their own panting. "We need to get out of here!"



Apple Bloom shushed her as beads of sweat dripped down the her hide. The air was still as neither of them made a sound, hoping whatever was outside was done playing with the two. She slowly tiphooved to Sweetie Belle, trying her hardest to find barren spots in the straw to prevent her from making any sounds. The sun dipped below the window, casting the entire bottom half of the barn in shadow. She went to move her head up to see what Sweetie Belle was doing, but caught the two piercing, glowing yellow eyes of the creature near the barn floor.



"Behind you!" she cried out, galloping towards her friend before seeing a shadow-like tendril escape from the veiled creature. Sweetie Belle turned around, just as her body was coiled up by the slimy, dripping tentacle. She screamed as her body was pinned down, slowly being retracted back towards the monster's body. Apple Bloom burst froward, grabbing onto Sweetie's hooves and pulled as hard as she could, tears streaming down her face as Sweetie's eyes met hers. The creature looked up at her, the tendril turning into a hoof as it pulled the two closer and closer. Apple Bloom dug her back hooves into the ground, trying to gain traction, but felt herself losing balance. She looked up at the beast's eyes, feeling the pang in her head flaring immensely as all sound seemed to disappear around her. The small buzzing sound from before filled her head, clawing at her with scratching noises and made her lose her focus in the cacophony of sound. She gave one last heave, but her eyes shrunk to a pinpoint as words formed amongst the array of noise.



I... waited...

With a sudden tug, Apple Bloom lost her balance, falling forward as Sweetie Belle's hooves were stripped from her own. Sweetie shrieked and cried as she was dragged into the shadow, another hoof covering her mouth, muffling the filly's screams. Apple Bloom staggeringly got up to her hooves, galloping forward to grab her friend's hooves once more. She heard the beating of wings coming from the monster before it closed its eyes and began burrowing down into the ground before she could catch a glimpse of what it was. She grabbed onto Sweetie Belle once more, keeping their eyes locked as she pulled. Sweetie's head was wretched back by the shadow's hooves, forcing her down into the ground as tears streamed down her face.



"Hold on!" Apple Bloom cried, clamping down on Sweetie Belle's hooves as hard as she could. The creature jerked the Sweetie Belle down further into the ground, leaving everything below her torso buried underneath the barn. Apple Bloom refused to let go, feeling her body about to give the the powerful pull of the dark gray hoofed creature kept sinking them both down. With one last muffled cry, Sweetie's body was dragged completely below the ground, the hole filling with dirt as soon as the unicorn had disappeared. Scrambling, Apple Bloom dug down at the earth, letting her tears flow freely as the last restrained face of Sweetie Belle held in her mind.



She dug for what seemed like hours, getting no where as her soft hooves became cut and bloody, the crimson liquid dripping onto the dry and broken straw. She lowered her head and sobbed, still digging at the ground as dirt and straw mixed with her raw and hooves, causing pain to shoot up into her body and making her collapse. Without the will to move, she lay on the ground on her belly and wept, burying her face into the ground as the rest of the barn was silent. Her body shivered and shook violently, not letting up before her headache forced her up to her hooves. She galloped away towards the door, frantically pushing the door open and bolted away from the barn.



The sun had fallen below the tree line, casting the farm in twilight as Apple Bloom broke into a full sprint towards the the farm house. She ignored any sensation to look back towards the barn, even to see if the creature was anywhere near her. A hollow burn consumed her chest as she galloped, her vision wavering back and forth and blurring as the veil of tears would not leave her eyes. Only a few moments later she arrived at the front door, quickly grasping the door handle and forcing herself inside before slamming it back behind her. The room was lit with only two candles, each at the opposite ends of the couch where Scootaloo still lay. She shivered and breathed hollow breathes, still pale with restless dark circles under her eyes. Apple Bloom looked away, silently cursing the nurse for not being there while Scootaloo squirmed under her blanket. She trotted past and placed her hoof on Scootaloo's head. Apple Bloom rubbed it affectionately for a few moments, then trotted away and up the stairs to find any help for Sweetie Belle she could.



"Hello!?" she called out, hoping to hear some pony call back. The stairwell was dark under the soft light of twilight, leaving Apple Bloom to slowly make her way into the main hallway. She checked her brother's room on in the first door on the left, unable to see anything moving. "H-hello?" she cried, shivering. She couldn't remember seeing any of her family out in the fields when she and Sweetie Belle trotted to the barn. With her brother not in sight, she continued onward, seeing light filter out from Applejack's room. Quickly she opened the door, seeing her sister take her cowboy hat off and place it on a rack above her bed. Applejack turned to face the filly with a shocked look.



"Apple Bloom? What are you doin' here? Shouldn't you be out in the tree house with Sweetie Belle?" Applejack asked, rubbing her eyes.



"I was, but we went into the barn to find what got to Scootaloo," Apple Bloom confessed, seeing Applejack's face twist in disappointment. "I-it got Sweetie Belle, and it almost got me, and I don't know what to do!" She began to weep once more, getting down onto her flank in exhaustion.



"What did I tell you about goin' to the barn at night without me or your brother? It's extremely dangerous for a filly your age- What happened to your hooves?!" Applejack asked in alarm, looking over the raw stumps that Apple Bloom's hooves had become. Her eyes darted in worry and fear as she inspected them, watching trickling blood fall to the wooden floor below. "H-how did this happen?"



"The thing took Sweetie Belle and dragged her under the barn," Apple Bloom said, bursting into tears. "I-I t-t-tried saving h-her. I-I really did..." Apple Bloom went into every last detail of both of her friends' captures, leaving her shaking and crying as every last detail flew to the forefront of her mind. Applejack's face appeared more distraught from every sentence Apple Bloom was able to whimper out. As she choked out the last word, the young filly collapsed in tears, convulsively shaking and crying. Applejack grasped her little sister and pressed her firmly against her fur, letting the filly sob into her coat. The mare wrapped her arms around her sister.



"There are shovels in the barn that we can use to dig. I won't let another of your friends to end up like Scootaloo," she said, hearing sniffles from Apple Bloom slowing. "Come on. The longer we stay here, the less likely we'll find Sweetie Belle." Apple Bloom looked up with a small smile. Applejack stood, then grabbed her hat from the rack and placed it on her head.



"T-thanks, Applejack," Apple Bloom said as she stood. She wiped the tears from her eyes then waited by the door. Applejack tipped her hat down with a serious look on her face and walked up next to Apple Bloom. The two walked down the hallway and down the stairs, Apple Bloom keeping close to her sister as the only sound in the whole house was the patter of their hooves.



They passed through the threshold of the living room, Apple Bloom noticing the flickering flames that stood by Scootaloo were snuffed out. Only coiling smoke rose from the wicks, giving her an uneasy feeling. She rushed forward and looked down at the couch, seeing Scootaloo's blanket thrown across the cushions and draping onto the floor. Scootaloo, however, was gone.



"Scootaloo?!" Apple Bloom cried, frantically looking around the now moonlit room. "Scootaloo!" she called out again, knocking over an end table as she looked high and low for any sign of where the young pegasus was. She began to pant, feeling her heart thump out of her chest before Applejack placed her hoof on her back.



"I'm sure she's just walking around," her sister assured her. "The poor filly hasn't moved by herself all day. I know that things have been strange for you lately, but nothin' has been in this house but us. "



"I-I guess," Apple Bloom said, catching her breath.



"Here, hold out your hooves for me," Applejack said, opening the medical kit near the couch. Apple Bloom did as she was instructed, watching her sister take out a roll of gauze and tape and placed it on the floor. She unrolled the gauze and wrapped Apple Bloom's hooves, completely covering them before taking the tape and binding them tightly. A small, pleased smile grew on Applejack's face before placing the two rolls back in their case.



Apple Bloom let out a small sigh before standing, testing her hooves on the ground. She placed a tiny bit of pressure on them, then smiled at the dulled amount of pain. With a small bit of relief she opened the front door, leaving the now empty house behind her. As she stepped out into the night, the familiar twinge came back to her, making her swing her head around back inside. A quick glance of a set of glowing purple eyes appeared before Applejack blocked the way, closing the door behind her. She wanted to say something to warn her, but was paralyzed by the thought of the monster being inside her own home.



"Somethin' wrong?" Applejack asked.



"No, it's nothin'," Apple Bloom answered, turning towards the barn. The wind continued its assault against the farm, snapping off some of the weaker branches and throwing them to the ground near Apple Bloom's hooves. She gulped, unable to see the moon anywhere in the sky, leaving the stars alone to light their path to the barn. Applejack strode forward with confidence and a look of fierce determination on her face. A little of Apple Bloom's worry melted away as they walked, feeling safe with Applejack at her side.



The two arrived at the barn, seeing the doors wide open after Apple Bloom's escape. Applejack went inside, scanning the inside of the building before Apple Bloom tentatively followed. "I'm guessin' that's where Sweetie Belle was taken, right?" Applejack asked, pointing to the ground. Apple Bloom stopped at her sister's side, looking down at the ground below. Dirt and straw had been flung in every direction around the small crater-like hole as crimson blood splattered around it. Small clumps of Apple Bloom's hide was scattered inside the hole as well.



"Y-yeah," Apple Bloom confirmed, seeing flashes of Apple Bloom's face within the disaster below. She shook before watching Applejack walk to the corner of the barn. The metallic clang of shovels filled the barn, slightly stirring the animals as she walked back with a shovel in her mouth. She motioned Apple Bloom out of the way with a slight tilt of her head before piercing the dirt below with the metallic edge. She scooped up the remnants of Apple Bloom's and Sweetie Belle's struggle and tossed it to the side. Applejack repeated the process as Apple Bloom could only sit and watch anxiously as the hole grew in size and depth.



What seemed like hours had passed by since Applejack started digging. The hole had become a massive crater at the edge of the barn with dirt and rocks still flying outward. Applejack was covered in large beads of sweat was caked with dirt before she slammed the perimeter of the hole. She sighed and wiped the sweat off her brow and looked up at Apple Bloom with a tired expression.



“Did you find anything?” Apple Bloom asked. Applejack just shook her head and climbed out from the hole. Her eyes were sunken in from lack of sleep and exertion.



“I’m sorry, Apple Bloom. I can’t go any farther,” Applejack said, hauling herself out and onto solid ground. She brushed off her coat with her dirty hooves, only adding to the grime. “We’re just gonna have to wait until mornin’. Twilight should be able to help us with this. She is better at investigatin’ things after all.”



“Alright,” Apple Bloom said dejectedly, watching her sister slowly trot out of the barn. She couldn’t blame her for not being able to find Sweetie Bell; she had woken her in the middle of the night after all. “Applejack? C-could you come with me to the club house? I don’t want to be alone tonight.”



Applejack turned back to her with a small smile. “Of course I will. I wouldn’t let my sister be alone at night up in that tree house.” She let the filly catch up to her before placing her hat on Apple Bloom’s head. Apple Bloom gave out a small laugh before looking up to Applejack with a smile.



“Thanks, sis,” Apple Bloom said, giving her sister a hug. She quickly let go, then brushed the dirt that jumped to her coat off, making Applejack laugh tiredly. Apple Bloom joined in, filling the barn with a sense of joy she hadn’t felt for a few days. The two walked out across the field together, each of them silent as the tree house slowly approached.



Apple Bloom’s breath quickened reached the ramp, her hooves still singing in pain from their raw state. A part of her wanted to stay as far away as she could, the club house serving as a reminder of her two friends’ grizzly fates. She looked up to Applejack, letting her worries melt away before placing the cowboy hat back on her sister’s head. They both laughed before Apple Bloom slowly made her way up the ramp, wary of potential splinters until she opened the club house door.



“Sweet dreams,” Applejack said as Apple Bloom slumped onto her cot, her eyes growing heavy closing nearly instantly as the softness of her pillow lulled her into slumber. Only the sound of Applejack fixing up her own cot filling Apple Bloom's head before dream-like imagery drowned it out. Her visions intensified before her consciousness faded, allowing her to finally rest.

~*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*~

A small pulsating headache woke Apple Bloom. Lifting her heavy eyelids felt like a chore, but she groaned and opened them slowly, seeing a shadowed and blurred figure right above her. Her eyes snapped open as the pony came into full view, causing her to scoot back into her cot as she laid her eyes upon the pegasus. Her coat was a pale orange and mane a dark violet. The filly's illuminated purple eyes stared down at Apple Bloom unblinking as heavy bags were set underneath. Apple Bloom shook, watching the pony as she took a step towards her.



"S-Scootaloo?" she asked, watching the filly stop in her tracks.



"Who else would it be?" Scootaloo answered, a smile twisting on her face. She extended her wings, the filly's once tiny appendages looked to have doubled in size since the last time Apple Bloom had laid eyes on her. "Neither of us are safe here."



"Where were you!? Why weren't you on the couch when Applejack and I left the farm house?" Apple Bloom asked, still unnerved by her friend’s gangly appearance.



"She was coming, and I had to leave," she explained, turning away Apple Bloom. Scootaloo began to pace back and forth, folding her wings back to her sides.



"'She'?" Apple Bloom asked, looking around the room. She spotted Applejack's cot, seeing only her sheets laying across the floor. "W-where's Applejack? She was just here-"



"I saw Applejack get taken on ly a few moments before I got here. There wasn't anything I could do. Especially in my... condition." Scootaloo looked down at the ground, wiping her eyes with her hoof. "I'm sorry. There wasn't anything I could do."



Apple Bloom stood frozen in place, unsure of what to do next. She wanted to go back to sleep in the hopes of waking and realizing this was all just a dream. With Scootaloo in front of her, and Applejack now missing, she had to steel herself and save her sister and Sweetie Belle. All she could hope for was that Scootaloo knew where the monster was so Twilight could help them the next morning. "I-it's okay. Do you know where it took her?"



"I do, but we can't go after her. The monster is too powerful for us," Scootaloo explained, looking out the window. "It took everyone on the farm but you, and went out into Ponyville to take more."



"She took Big Macintosh and Granny Smith, too!?" Apple Bloom asked, her knees shaking as her lower lip quivered. "W-what can we do? We have to save them!"



"All I know is you have to be safe. We have to go where it will never expect us to go."



"Where?" Apple Bloom asked, trotting up to Scootaloo's side.



"We have to go back into the cellar," Scootaloo said, her glowing eyes looking into Apple Bloom's. "I already made sure it's safe."



"I can't go back down there!" Apple Bloom protested, stepping away from Scootaloo. "That's where it was the first time; it'll get us down there for sure!"



"No, she won't," Scootaloo said before clenching her eyes shut and placing her hoof on her head. "We have to hurry or else she'll come back and find you. Please, Apple Bloom." She bowed her head and looked up at Apple Bloom's face, still wincing from the apparent headache. Apple Bloom gulped and peered out towards the barn. She shook her head, feeling the twinge come back as the sickly looking Scootaloo locked eyes with her. With one last deep breath, she extended her hoof to help her friend up to a stand.



"Okay, I'll go with you," she said with a smile.



"Alright, be we have to be quick. She could come back at any moment," Scootaloo explained, opening the clubhouse door. She motioned Apple Bloom over with her hoof before stepping out herself. Apple Bloom tentatively followed, grabbing her saddlebag in case anything were to go wrong.



The night was black as pitch, with the stars obscured by a thick layer of clouds. Her hooves were still raw, leaving her to gingerly trot down the ramp into the weltering grass below. Unlike the last two days the air was completely still, leaving the farm unusually quiet. Apple Bloom shook as they walked, keeping her eyes on the shadows for any sign of the mysterious creature. Scootaloo trotted at a decent pace, not saying a words as they approached the rotted cellar doors. She turned her to head towards Apple Bloom and smiled. As she brought her head back, Apple Bloom saw the red wounds on her neck dripping with small droplets of blood.



"Uh, Scootaloo? What are those woulds on the back of your neck? Are they... a bite mark?" Apple Bloom asked, prompting Scootaloo to looked at her once more.



"Oh that? It's nothing, really," Scootaloo answered in a chipper tune, putting Apple Bloom on edge.



"But, it's bleeding-"



"It's nothing, alright?" Scootaloo snapped before arriving at the cellar doors. Apple Bloom's face twisted in worry as her friend grasped one of the door handles. Before she could jump in to help, Scootaloo threw the doors open and let them crash on the ground beside it, kicking up a plume of dirt. Apple Bloom grabbed her flashlight from the saddlebag and pointed it down the cellar, seeing the cone of light become swallowed up in the darkness. "Hurry. She'll be back any minute now."



"I-if you say so," Apple Bloom said, slowly descending once more into the musty cellar. The smell of stale blood hung in the air, mixing with the dust and spilt cider odors. Apple Bloom covered her nose with her arm, filtering the air through a clean spot on her hide. The candle that Applejack lit still burned, but the flame had become tiny, unable to penetrate the thick haze that loomed throughout the room. Scootaloo closed the doors, leaving the room sealed off from the rest of the world.



Slowly, Apple Bloom could breathe without her coat filter, seeing Scootaloo come down from the stairs. Her glowing eyes will easily able to cut through the fog, making her very easy to spot. Apple Bloom sat down on the ground, lightly brushing her hooves and legs to get any debris off of them. She sat down next to Scootaloo huddled up next to her. Scootaloo's body was warm and shivering, but her shaking slowed as Apple Bloom held her body against hers. A small creak came from theI wall behind her, causing her to turn her head. Before she could see anything, Scootaloo tapped Apple Bloom's shoulder, bringing her attention to the pegasus.



"I-is there something back there?" Apple Bloom asked.



"No, it's fine. She's still... far... away..." Scootaloo began to pant and closed her eyes. She shook her head, then opened her eyes once again. "All we can do now is wait her out."



Apple Bloom nodded, sitting silently on the dirt covered floor. As time passed, Scootaloo seemed to shake more, breathing quicker as she broke out into a sweat. Apple Bloom looked over to her, seeing her pupils shake before hacking a spray of blood and collapsing on the ground in front of her.

"Scootaloo!?" Apple Bloom cried, placing her hoof on the fallen pegasus's back. There was no response as she lay unmoving. Shivering, Apple Bloom leaned in to get close to her friend, tears veiling her eyes as she shook her relentlessly. "Scootaloo, wake up!" She rocked her harder, the limp body of her friend giving her no resistance before she stopped and collapsed on top of her, unable to keep herself from sobbing to tears flow down her cheeks. "Please... please... just...”



Wake.

In an instant, Scootaloo's wings extended, flinging Apple Bloom off the previously subdued pegasus. She fell and skid across the ground, shaking the dizzy sensation off as Scootaloo stood tall in front of her. Scootaloo turned her head and stared at down at Apple Bloom with a slightly cocked head. Apple Bloom scrambled backwards as her friend approached. Scootaloo approached slowly, giving Apple Bloom enough time to get to her hooves and run around the one of the stacks of shelves.



"Scootaloo?" Apple Bloom asked. The pegasus stopped and turned her head back to its normal position. Her eye s felt as if they pierced straight into Apple Bloom's own, the headache that came about from it felt like it was splitting her skull in two. She wretched her eyes away from Scootaloo's before breaking out into a full sprint towards the wall, desperately trying to find the stairwell to the surface. "What's happening to you?" she asked, groping the wall as she looked back towards Scootaloo.



"All she wants is for you to be safe," Scootaloo said. Her voice had become lower and raspy, causing Apple Bloom to shiver. She sidled down the wall, continuing to search for an escape as Scootaloo rushed towards her with her hooves extended. Apple Bloom shrieked and jumped out of the way, hearing a hollow wooden sound as Scootaloo missed and slammed against the cellar wall. A cloud of dust kicked up as a crack formed on the wall. A blue light filtered through the crack, illuminating Apple Bloom stepped over the dazed Scootaloo, ramming her shoulder into the wall. Another crack appeared. She repeated the bashing until the wooden panels fell onto the ground completely.



Apple Bloom peered inside, seeing the blue light filling an expansive cavern. Stalactites lined the ceiling, fanning outward as the tunnel went deeper. She took her first step into the rocky tunnel, moving quickly down the long path to give herself distance between her and the crazed Scootaloo. The rocks shimmered with the blue light, causing her headache and pain to seemingly melt away out of her hooves and into the ground. Her mind was focused and rested, giving her the only hint of relief she had felt all weekend. She reveled in her new found energy, staring almost unblinkingly at the shining stones around her.



"This is... what’s below the barn?" she asked herself, hearing her voice echo off the mirror like walls. The trail slopped downwards, making her slow down as she delved deeper into the cavern. She looked behind her, seeing that the entrance and Scootaloo was nowhere to be found. She breathed a sigh of relief before sitting down on the ground and inspecting her wounds. They weren't at all recovering, but the pain relieving effects of the light made it hard for her to believe that they weren't healing in some way.



A small gust of wind came from above her, making her duck down and look above her. Her eyes widened as she saw Scootaloo fly over head, twisting and winding between the stalactites with haunting ease. Her breath quickened as she stood once more and gave chase. She kept pace with Scootaloo, darting her eyes back and forth between the ground and Scootaloo's swaying purple tail. She paused as the split in two directions before turning her head up to see where Scootaloo would go. The pegasus banked to the right and dove down the tunnel, prompting Apple Bloom to do the same.



The path quickly turned into a drop, causing Apple Bloom to plummet through the air. She flailed her hooves, groping for solid ground to walk on as the crystals turned to darkness below. Before she knew it, she slammed into the earth. Her chest was racked with searing pain as she struggled to stand, watching Scootaloo fly off into the massive opening ahead. Apple Bloom got to her hooves, limping ahead as muffled noises sounded in the distance. She hobbled back into the blue light, her eyes dry and red making it hard to keep them open. She walked further, seeing Scootaloo descend just ahead. The soft and low cries grew louder, sending violent shiver to flow through her body. She kept her eyes on the ground as her head hung low, the light from the crystals now burning her dried out eyes.



A loud ringing buzzed through her head, making her stop and plant her head onto the ground. She closed her eyes and lifted her head, only for something to fall on it above. It oozed off of her mane, dripping onto the ground and disappearing back into the shadows. She scrambled to get the goop off of her before looking up to see what it could be. Her pupils shrank to pinpoints at the sight of a cocoon of the black substance held the skeleton like body of an old stallion. She screamed and bolted forward, stopping at a large stone in front of her. Her chest rose and fell quickly as she gasped for air, clutching at her heart in petrified fear. She took another look at the stallion above her, feeling a twinge of recognition spring to her mind. A loud scream pulled her attention away, launching her back to the large crystal.



Tentatively, she looked around the rock, seeing more of the cocoons littering the shining cavern around her. All of the ponies appeared decrepit, each of them with their heads hung low like rag dolls. Each of them gave Apple Bloom the same since of familiarity as the old stallion above her, making her pause slightly as she examined each one. She shivered as she stepped past the rock, the sound of the cries ahead becoming more familiar at each step. Only a few steps past the crystal, the view of a pony moving made her heart flutter. She rushed forward towards the pony, only to stop and bury herself behind another large rock in fear. The only thing she could do was slowly peek her head out, her body petrified by what she saw.



Sweetie Belle was wrapped up in one of the black coils with only her shoulders and head free. Her face appeared much like Scootaloo's, and her face was somehow paler than her white coat should allow. The unicorn's mouth was bound by one of the tendrils, keeping only her nose free for her to breathe, but revealed the same red wounds that had been on Scootaloo's neck. Apple Bloom wanted to run to her friend and strip her of her gooey prison, but was still unable to move an inch closer.



"Let go of me!" Applejack's voice cried out. Apple Bloom quickly turned her head, seeing her sister in the same cocoon as the rest. She was trashing, leaning her head away from a mare sized creature that stood in front of her. The pewter colored creature stood tall with its purple bat wings fully extended as it circled around her sister. It wore a long mane and tail that flowed down to the base of its legs. It cocked its head to its side, watching Applejack wretch her head away from the creature. It suddenly opened its mouth, then snapped down on Applejack's neck, making Apple Bloom recoil back behind the crystal in horror. She tentatively looked out again, seeing Applejack's eyes begin to flutter before rolling up to the back of her head before it went completely limp. The creature released its prey's neck, licking its fangs as a tendril grew from her shadow and slithered off into the distance. It came back, holding an apple and lifted it to Applejack's mouth. The creature's eyes glowed, then Applejack took several bites of the apple, swallowing it down before going limp once more.



Apple Bloom screamed before clasping her mouth shut with her hooves. The monster turned its head toward her, walking slowly as it licked the blood off of its fangs. She buried herself behind the rock, unwilling to move as the mare-looking creature came ever closer. Apple Bloom closed her eyes and concentrated, trying to come up with a plan of attack as soon as possible. In a sudden flash of irrational thought, she jumped out from behind the crystal and stared down the creature.



It looked completely like a pony, but its ears had a small tuft at the end of it. Amongst the blue light, the mare's coat shone with a strange ethereal quality. The pony stared down at her with with her yellow eyes, cocking its head to its side.



"Let my sister and friends go!" Apple Bloom screamed, stomping her hoof down on the ground. The bat pony looked over at Applejack and scowled, before snapping her sight back to Apple Bloom. She shuddered as she stood her ground. A grimace grew across her face before charging headlong at the lanky mare. Just as she reached her, a gooey tendril coiled around Apple Bloom's midsection, forcing her to the ground. The fear from before shot back up again, her coat now beading with sweat. "I-I said let them go..."



"I waited here... for you," the bat pony said in a hushed voice, her figure now looming over Apple Bloom's. Apple Bloom trashed on the ground, clawing at the tentacle to release its grip, only making it coil under her chin and lift it to meet the bat's lowered head.



"W-what are you doing to my friends? Why... why me?" Apple Bloom asked, her hooves still scrambling to tear herself away as the mare kept her eyes squarely focused on the trembling filly's. Apple Bloom looked at Applejack, seeing her eyes open very slightly. The whites of her eyes shimmered, matching the intense glow of the bat pony’s own. Apple Bloom’s stood in shock, trying to piece everything from the last two days together as the creature leaned down to meet her face. The image of Applejack’s eyes the night Scootaloo went missing flashed in her head, giving her a sudden realization. “What did you do to my sister!?” she screamed, stomping her hoof into the ground. “She was acting funny when Scootaloo was captured! What did you do?”



I had to protect myself, of course. I hadn’t yet regained my strength to deal with more than a small child,” the mare explained, standing straight once more.



The bat pony closed her eyes and turned away and flew towards Sweetie Belle. "Stay away from her!" Apple Bloom screamed, now trying to break the mare's grasp to go after her. She strained, digging her hooves into the ground and pushed as hard as she could, watching the mare, caress Sweetie Belle's face with her hoof. The mare glanced back at her, Apple Bloom feeling the tendrils begin to snap away from her body. With one final push, she vaulted out from the living shadow and galloped after the bat-winged mare.



The mare spread her wings and placed her hoof on Sweetie Belle's shoulder. Apple Bloom skid to a stop, waiting nervously to see what the mare would do.



"Come with me," it said, before Scootaloo walked out from behind her. The mare gave Sweetie a short nuzzle before bending down and doing the same to Scootaloo. As she gave Scootaloo her attention, small groans came from Sweetie Belle as her eyes began to slowly open. Apple Bloom wanted to rush forward to greet her friend, but was still frozen in place.



"W-why?" Apple Bloom stuttered. The mare took her cheek off Scootaloo's and trotted forward with a pointy-toothed grin on her face. Apple Bloom took a step back before seeing Sweetie Belle's eyes fully open. "What do you want with me?"



Without a word the mare leaned down next to her and caressed her face with her own, the mare seemingly purring as she did so. Apple Bloom lay completely still, her body paralyzed as the mare continued, the mare closing her eyes and smiling while Apple Bloom felt as if she couldn't breathe.



"Run!" Sweetie Belle yelled. The bat pony stopped its affectionate rubbing and stared at her with a huff. Apple Bloom shook herself out of her hypnotic trance, watching Sweetie Belle struggle to free herself with the bindings. "Don't let her get you!"



"What is she doing?" Apple Bloom asked, unable to move or decide what to do. "What does she want me for?"



"I don't know! It doesn't matter, just go!" Sweetie hollered before the tendril that surrounded her covered her mouth, muting her completely. The bat pony turned back to Apple Bloom, looking over her with a strange smile on her face.



"It's been so lonely here waiting for you all these years," it said, sitting down next to the still petrified Apple Bloom. "You needn't have suffered like you did with so much ample food around you."



"Food? Do you mean--" The reality of what was happening happening hit her like a ton of bricks. She shivered as she looked up at the mare, some residue of blood still staining her fangs. "You're using them as... food?"



The mare only smiled in response, draping her wing over Apple Bloom. She pushed the mare away, backing towards Applejack to keep her distance. The bat pony sighed before one of the shadow tendrils appeared out of the shadows, holding a ripe looking apple up to Apple Bloom’s head.



“W-where did you get this?” Apple Bloom asked before a thought flew to the front of her mind. “You... you’re the one stealing the apples, aren’t you?” she accused, slapping the apple away from her. “Why!? We need those to live! If you feed from ponies’ blood, than why would you-” Stopped, slowly turning her head back towards Applejack. “You’re... you’re-”



The image of the bat pony feeding Applejack the apple sprang back to her mind. She throught of what it would possibly accomplish until it suddenly dawned on her. Frozen in fear, she gulped before turning back, taking another look at the ponies that were cocooned within the cavern. Their uncanny familiarity still seemed distant until the throught of Granny’s story came flying to the forefront of her thoughts. Her story had always ended on a black and white photograph of her family that lived in that era. “They’re... still a-alive?” Her head snapped back to the mare with a mix of fear and intensity showing in her eyes. “You keep them hostage and feed them to... to... eat them again and again?”



The mare smiled slightly, causing Apple Bloom to shiver and step back. The bat pony lurched foward, lowering her head to meet Apple Bloom’s once more. The two moved back until Apple Bloom bumped into the back of Sweetie Belle’s caccoon. The sticky tendrils began to coil themsleves around Apple Bloom’s apendages as she began sinking into the black goop.



“Let them go!” Apple Bloom cried, letting her tears flow freely down her cheeks and pulling against the tendrils’ pull. “Do it, or... or..." She paused for a moment, looking up and seeing the tears that were streaming down Sweetie Belle's face. Scootaloo only stood and watched from a distance, standing next to the drained Applejack. "Do it or I won't go with you!" Sweetie Belle erupted in muffled screaming as she thrashed once more. "Let them go, and I'll come with you. I won't let you feed on my friends anymore!"



"You're... You-You're going with her!?" Scootaloo burst out in her own voice, breaking her post and running to her friend. "You can't! S-Sweetie Belle and I won't let you!"



"If I don't, she'll use you until I do!" Apple Bloom argued, tugging once more to free herself. "Please, let everypony go. I'll come with you."



The mare took a deep breath and closed her eyes. When they reopened, the yellow glow cut through the blue light as the sickening sound of the tendrils unwinding themselves filled the cavern. Scootaloo stumbled back and held her head, her wings shrinking as the mare burst forward. Before Apple Bloom could respond, the mare grabbed her and took to the sky, hanging onto her with only her front legs as the rest of her body dangled below.



"Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle cried out before slumping onto the floor. Apple Bloom looked down at her friends one more time, seeing their distraught and sobbing faces before the mare swooped up towards the ceiling, weaving through the stalactites. Ahead was a small hole in the ceiling, which appeared much too small for the two to fit through. Without notice, the mare pulled Apple Bloom to its body, making them streamlined then going up through the opening. It was a straight shot out with just enough room for her protector to beat her wings.



They emerged from the hole in the middle of the apple orchard into the soft light of dawn. Apple Bloom felt like throwing up from the speed. The mare let Apple Bloom's body hang below her once more as they soared over Ponyville. Everyone in the pastel colored town still slept, letting none of them bear witness to the frightened soaring filly. They buzzed the roof tops as they flew through the town, allowing Apple Bloom to nearly touch them with her rear hooves. Apple Bloom stilled her breath, now noticing them approaching the edge of the town and into a dense forest that lay just beyond: the Everfree Forest.



As they passed over the forest's edge, the mare dove through the canopy and continued to fly just below. She weaved through the mossy tree trunks, soaring headlong into the dense fog just ahead. Apple Bloom forced her eyes shut, bracing herself for whatever was in store for her. The mare was quiet through the entire flight, leaving Apple Bloom worried about what was going to happen.



A few moments later, the mare landed and let Apple Bloom down in the dried out grass. Apple Bloom stumbled and fell face first as the mare let her go, feeling the cold of the fog stick to her coat. She shook herself off and get to her hooves, wobbling back and forth from the flight. The mare behind her gave out a screech, causing the filly go fall back to the ground with her hooves covering her ears. The sound subsided, leaving only the echoes off of the trees as they too dissipated in the distance. Apple Bloom lifted her head and let go of her ears. She looked up, watching small multicolor orbs light up from between the brush.



"W-who are you?" she asked, frozen to the ground. The figures emerged from the darkness revealing themselves to be more bat-like ponies, each of them with the same glowing eyes as the one behind her. The mare began to speak in chirps and small incomprehensible noises, getting the same in returns with nods before they looked down at Apple Bloom. Thoughtlessly, Apple Bloom rose to her hooves, watching the ponies begin to circle around the expanse. She felt the mare's breath behind her on the back of her neck getting quicker. Apple Bloom's breath quickened to match the mares as the hairs rose on the the back of her neck. The bat ponies in front of her began to chant furiously, holding their gaze on Apple Bloom as she clenched her eyes shut. Suddenly she felt something warm and slimy latch onto her neck. She opened her eyes and looked down, seeing the mare's fangs sunken into her neck with a blanket stare as she gasped for air. Apple Bloom stood unable to move as a wave of dizziness washed over her. Her vision darkened to a tunnel and blurred before she had no more energy to stay awake. Apple Bloom's eyes closed as one last twinge flared in her head.



Wake soon...

Wake soon, my kin...

~*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*/\/\/\*~

A month had passed since Apple Bloom had gone missing, and Applejack needed to clear her head. The farm hadn't been the same without her; Granny Smith hadn't moved from her chair since they brought her out of the crystal caverns, and Big Macintosh had gone back to his nearly mute self. She had her friends to help deal with the loss of her sister, but passing by her room every morning stood as a constant reminder. Twilight had suggested she board it up and try to move on. Many of her friends seemed to have all of the answers, but nothing she tried helped in any way. All she could do was keep herself focused on her job.



She hauled her wooden cart through town, looking for a good place to set up for the day. Snow was falling gently, covering the town in a soft white blanket. Many of the town's residents were out and about, going about their usual pony lives as Applejack found a good spot to set up her shop. The produce on her cart appeared as fresh as if it were just picked that day. They were all brought up from storage, but nopony knew the difference. She stopped in the middle of the clearing and set down the wooden stoppers, setting the cart in place. Applejack stood behind the counter, watching ponies walk by as several took a look at her stock.



A few stayed and paid for a few apples before a lavender unicorn came into view from down the road. She wore two saddlebags on her side, sauntering with a smile on her face as she approached the stand. Applejack placed the remaining order into the customers bag as Twilight stopped behind them, waiting for the pony to be on their way. Once the stand was clear, Twilight stepped forward and placed a hoof on the counter.



"Hi, Applejack," Twilight said with a small smile on her face. "How has business been going?"



"You know, Twi, the usual," Applejack explained. She set a few of the remaining apples that stood on the counter into the bin in front of the stand, giving the two more space to speak. "I'm just trying to get things back to normal since Apple Bloom went missin'."



"That's good." Twilight paused for a moment, trying to keep her smile for Applejack. The earth pony sighed in response, causing Twilight's smile to lessen into a straight faced glance. "You're headed out to Fillydelphia today, right?"



"Yeah. I have to carry the cargo through the Everfree Forest since the whole train system has backed up. Ever since those ponies disappeared, no one can seem to leave town quick enough."



"Poor Rarity. I can't understand how Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo went missing as well," Twilight said with a distraught look in her face. "Please, Applejack. Be careful."



"Don't worry about me. I'll only be here for a few hours before I leave. I'll be through the forest by sunset," Applejack explained with a smile. Twilight took several apples out from the bushels and placed several golden bits on the counter.



"Have a nice trip," she said before she placed all but one in her bag and walked off, taking a bite of one of the apples. Applejack watched her fade off into the distance under the veil of snow, resuming her post of seeing others pass by. A few more ponies stopped by to browse and purchase food, but most walked by not taking notice of her as she brushed the snow off the counter and her food for the sixth time that day. Hours more passed, leaving the bins emptier and her gold bag fuller.



Not long after, the time she had to leave to the big city was upon her. With a good day of winter selling behind her, she took the bushels and placed it back on the cart to head out. She took out the wooden stops from behind the wheels and put them away before putting herself in the harness. The roads had been swept all day from the combination of the pegasis' controlled dusting and constant snow removal, so they path to the Everfree Forest was clear for her to easily access. With a quick pull the cart started to roll. She trotted until the reached the edge of the forest, not far from where she had sold her goods. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before crossing the threshold into the uninviting woods.



The trail was well maintained, making it easier for Applejack to see where she was going amidst the snow and fog. Clanks and whirrs could be heard from the cart as it rocked from the uneven surface. She checked back often to make sure that nothing had fallen off. Unlike most of the year, the forest was quiet. Most of the creatures and monster that comprised the forest's fauna had gone into hibernation, leaving only the sounds of Applejack's cart echoing off the barren trees as well as the cracking and shaking branches. The wind whipped through the forest much harder as well as the snow in the uncontrolled brush. Applejack shivered as she walked, keeping her eyes on the road ahead.



Dense fog had settled on the forest, leaving it harder for Applejack to see any more than a few feet ahead of her. Each hoof step she made was more arduous than the last. She was fighting against the wind and snow as she carried her heavy cart. Determined to get through before the sun had set, she pushed onward. She kept at a good pace, never stopping until a twinge burrowed into her head. Applejack stopped and put her hoof to her head, rubbing the sore spot in the hopes to make it go away.



She shook her head and resumed, wincing every time the pain flared up. Small whispers echoed from the trees around her, but Applejack forced herself to ignore them. The road was growing dark under the overcast skies as she pressed forward. Her cart kept racketing along as the whispers seemed to grow louder and louder until it whatever was there was right upon her.



Sis...

Applejack frantically searched for the source of the voice, only seeing the large, sentinel-like trees surrounding her. She moved quicker, hoping to outrun whatever could be near her. Her breathing grew faster as the whispers grew louder still. Hastily, she sprinted to a full gallop, keeping her head forward as she maneuvered down the densely shrouded road. Ahead was a discarded piece of red fabric, swaying with the wind as it hung from a tree branch. She ignored it and weaved through trees that began to creep onto the trail, hearing the whispers begin to fade.



She breathed a sigh of relief before her hoof caught on one of the tree's roots, making her crash and tumble forward. The cart behind her crashed down on top of her, leaving her pinned to the road. Applejack grunted, trying to force the cart off of her. A sharp pain traveled down into one of her back legs, making her cry out in pain. Before she could get the chance to focus, the whispers came back as the pain in her head made it hard for her to keep her eyes open. She groaned again before lifting her head, seeing something glow out in the distance.



Two orange and red eyes with slits for pupils stared down at her within the fog, its gaze making the pain in Applejack's head worse. Applejack pulled at her leg, trying desperately to unpin herself from underneath the heavy wooden cart to no avail. She looked up again, noticing two other pairs of eyes joining the set that was already bearing down on her. An emerald set appeared to her right while a purple emerged from the left, all three cutting through the dense and encompassing fog.



"Who's there?" Applejack called out, hearing no response as the silhouette of three ponies materialized in front of her. "Could you help me, please? My leg is stuck," she asked, hearing only the same whispers she did before. Applejack watched to see what the ponies would do as they continued to approach. They were the size of fillies, giving Applejack pause as details emerged from beyond the fog. The center filly's maroon mane hung down her neck and body in strings as tufted ears rose from her head. Its coat was a pale yellow, making Applejack's pupils shrink to pin points. "A-Apple Bloom?"



Sister...

The two other filly's came into view as well, standing tall next to the looming Apple Bloom. Before she could doubt what she was seeing, the filly with the purple eyes extended her dull orange wings wide, lifting some of her sharp dark purple hair. The swirls in the other's mane was unmistakable; the unicorn trotted forward, getting a good look at the injured Applejack. The two fillies beside Apple Bloom bore red gouges in their neck while she did not, showcasing the new incisors that grew in the filly's mouth Tears welled in her eyes as all the memories of her sister came back to her, unrecognizable to the pony that stood before her.



Apple Bloom leaned in close, meeting Applejack's watering eyes with a burning intensity. Her eyes were sullen and dark as her face was bony and sick. Applejack couldn't avert her gaze as Apple Bloom's head cocked to the side. With a quick motion, Apple Bloom's mouth opened, saliva dripping from the top as she gazed hungrily down at Applejack's neck. Applejack yanked at her leg again, only feeling it flare up in pain again as she turned her head to face her sister one more time. The filly panted as her tongued lolled out of her mouth, reeling her head back to strike.



"I missed you so much..." Applejack sobbed, closing her eyes and felt the world disappear around her as her lost sisters’ fleshy maw clasped tightly around her throat.

--- The End ---

Comments ( 28 )

Forgive me, I'm going to pass this one since Dark and Tragedy with CMC are too sad... :fluttercry:

Dat porfile pic!Is' UraharaOMIGOD!
18K+ words
:pinkiegasp:

So much violence and detail, and such a mighty word count, but I felt the climax, and the fic's "punchline" if you will, were kind of transparent. Easily predicted. It's not bad, at all, but I expected a little more. But damn it if it isn't well-written. Nice job. Didn't really float my boat, but that doesn't mean it isn't something to be proud of.

Apple Bloom had heard the tales passed down to her from Granny Smith, but never thought nothing of them.

You have a double negative in the description...

Oh my gosh... that story was.. AMAZING! Creepy though... :pinkiecrazy:

1014329

Hastily written description was hastily written. Apologies! *Flies off to fix*

WTF This was creep as hell

Wow...that was...just wow. I'm not sure whether I'm impressed or extremely creeped out. :pinkiegasp::applejackconfused::derpyderp2:

....Huh. That was just....I don't really know how to react to this. I don't mean that in a negative way. The story was well written in my opinion and it was certainly something I haven't read before.

As I am :ajsleepy: , this was probably not the type of story I should have read just before heading off to sleep. I'll be sure to inform you if I had nightmares tonight, but odds are that I won't since it has been a very, very long time since I recall having any sort of nightmare.

All-in-all, good job Ciro!

Came expecting Scootaloo death.

Left satisfied anyway.

OOOhhhh. A vampire thing. Cool.

I thought that the story was fairly good, but the execution wasn't perfect. There were some grammar and punctuation errors but aside crom those it was worth the read. I think that my only complaint would be that the story actually seemed too rushed. There could have been more detail and you could have been more descriptive in the surroundings. Adding on to that, I felt as though the story was rushed, and that there could have been more buildup. But other than that, great job!

Honestly,this story are actually one of the few scary stories I liked with the CMC (When they're not put as psychopaths/being murdered). The idea of this monster is left up for the reader and why they were in the barn really impressed me,I really think this deserves to be on EQD.Also,It didn't help I was listening to an entire Funeral Doom Metal album while reading this :pinkiecrazy:.

1014329
Has you finished editing for Steam?We is all waiting :3

Guess I'm first to point out that there are MANY grammar mistakes and uses of EXPLAINED
If you'd like I could edit this fer you:derpytongue2:

Now THAT'S horror. And said, too. ;n;

:pinkiegasp: The CMC and Applejack become Vampires!:pinkiegasp::pinkiecrazy:

anyways, good story

Now that I have my story back, I can finally respond!

1014210
Thanks for the feedback! I've always liked the kind of vague "main character becomes like creature" type endings, though they are very predictable. I'm glad that it still worked, even if it wasn't in your tastes.

1014329
Thanks for the catch, and thank you to Ciroton for fixing it.

1014393
Thanks!

1015044
Thank you for reading. I hope you slept well.

1017122
The story was written in only a few weeks, and I'm a naturally slow writer. I didn't have time to edit it before the deadline, so it was posted "as is". I would love to get it fixed in the future. Thanks for reading it, and I'm sure it'll be better once it's fixed.

1017777
Thanks, I'm glad that you liked it.

1014830
Hopefully both!

1019408 1021684 1014393
Thank you so very much for reading.

1048280

Hey, it's cool. I've decided to track you, since while I've read this kind of fic too many times, your writing skill is more than evident.

1048280

Very welcome.Please do more of these stories!

Very creepy story, i'm happy i decided to check this out when i saw it on your page. I'm a little disappointed that the slime was never explained. Were the slime creature and the mare with fangs the same character, or was the mare using the slime to help capture unsuspecting members of the apple family? Other than that and the few grammar and diction mistakes, I thought it was a brilliant story. :twilightsmile:

1049152
The slimy substance was supposed to be something it could conjure from its shadow, a power like its ability to control ponies' thoughts. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

1048505
Thanks so much for the watch!

1048995
I'm sure I'll foray into another genre like this again.

1049176
ah, thanks for explaining that

1049176


Sweet :3.I wish you luck.

Please forgive me, because I'm going to throw two posts at you. :yay:

Firstly, I have to admit that the story was kinda creepy (and I was reading it in full daylight, like in the morning :trollestia:) for the first third of it. I'm sorry, but when you mentioned those marks at Scoot's neck, and it became obvious the unnamed threat is actually a vampony (or whatever you call it), it lost all its touch. :pinkiesad2: I mean, seriously? So many mythical and imaginative monsters and you chose a vampony? Really? :rainbowwild:

Next, I have to admit that (for me) it was kind of hard to follow the story. I don't know quite know why, though. If I had to describe it, I would settle with trekking through a forest and occasionally tripping over a root or a branch. It seemed like your writing wasn't fluent, but I'm terribly sorry--I can't seem pinpoint it for you, as much as I'd love to.

There were some grammar errors, but it didn't seem to be caused by it.

It's strange, really. Because the story itself was rather consistent. I really cannot put my finger on it, sorry. :ajsleepy:

The second comment will offer an alternative parody ending that lingered in my mind for the second half of the story (well, it was getting predictable, as some comments already mentioned :twilightblush:).

[RANCOM] [DARK] [CROSSOVER - Hellsing]

Start here:

The bat ponies in front of her began to chant furiously, holding their gaze on Applebloom as she clenched her eyes shut.

"Hold it right there!" yelled a high pitched voice from the cave entrance. Applebloom shot her eyes open, but the overwhelming darkness didn't let her see too much.

"Who dares to disturb the ritual?" hissed the bat mare. Her piercing eyes could locate the source of the voice with no problem.

"I've waited too long for you to finally reveal your lair," the interrupter said, her voice ice-cold and calculated with a hint of disgust underneath. It made the bat pony feel slightly uneasy, not to mention annoyed. She wasn't used to her food treating her like that.

"Let Applebloom go!" the voice demanded.

"Pinkie Pie?" guessed the filly. "Is that you?"

"Yes!" the mare said coolly, no trace of her usual cheerful energy in her voice.

"Enough!" the bat pony snapped. She turned her piercing eyes at the pink mare. The yellow piercing beam, that had so much effect on Applebloom, lashed against the wall of baby-blue. Pinkie didn't even flinch.

"Don't try this crap on me," warned the pink pony. The bat mare frowned, but collected herself nearly instantly.

"Bravo!" she mocked. "You seem to have some tricks up your sleeve, but I have an army of my children ready to break your neck at my command. Will you fight us all? Can you boast our raw strength?"

"I don't have to," Pinkie replied, getting an object from her saddlebag. It was enveloped in a faint red aura. With a few rapid jerks of her head, she quickly scribbled a star on the ground with it. With one final, fluent motion she drew a circle around it. The drawing glowed with faint red light. "I'm going to summon a professional to do it." Pinkie smiled, narrowing her eyes which, too, seemed to pierce the darkness with faint blue light.

"The Bird of Hermes is his name," she chanted, as the bat mare watched curiously. "Eating his wings to make him tame." Pinkie finished and jumped back. Then... nothing happened.

"That's it?" the bat pony smirked. "It didn't work."

"Oh, it did." Pinkie smiled. "Trust me." The bat mare noticed that the pony's silhouette was becoming shadowed by the darkness. Which was strange, because apparently it was the darkness her eyes could not pierce. Suddenly, the dark mist condensed and concentrated above the star drawn on the cavern floor. It formed the strangest shape the mare had ever seen--a tall, bipedal creature with long legs and arms. Sudenly the darkness produced a set of two red eyes, glowing dangerously red in the dark, and two rows of disturbingly pointy, white teeth. They were twisted into a perverted smile, and chewing on a metal cross of some kind.

c.wrzuta.pl/wi9235/0592dfb20026bd38476e8379/alucard

Alucard corrected his glasses and surveyed the surrounding. A pastel pink equine... OK? Another one, but smaller and yellow. Aha! he smiled as he finally located his adversary. A pony or a human, a vampire was always easily discernible.

"What are you?" the bat pony asked.

"Me?" Alucard smiled, flashing his teeth in the darkness. "I'm an assasin."

"An assassin?" the bat mare's eyes were as wide as saucers now. Then she began laughing frantically. The look on her opponent's face was unfazed, though. It quickly irritated her.

"Kill it!" she commanded. A swarm of dark silhouettes jumped at the so-called assassin. Several deafening cracks, further amplified by the confined space, thundered through the cave.

The smirk slowly faded from the bat pony's snout as her wounded children fell to the ground into a black puddle of goo, and were not regenerating. She flinched as the tall creature pointed the two silver, metal, fire-spouting object it was holding at her.

"I don't know what that sorcery is, but it it would be pretty lethal even to me," she stated, cowering behind Applebloom. "But it just so happens that I have a hostage. You wouldn't kill an innocent filly, would you?" she smirked, narrowing her eyes, brushing Applebloom's mane with one of her tendrils.

The unnerving smile, that never wavered from Alucard's face, now turned into a fit of chilling guffaws. "You seem to have mistaken me for someone who I'm not," he said, correcting his glasses. They flashed dangerously in the dark. "I am not a hero, I'm the assassin."

Alucard slowly raised his guns and pointed them at the bat pony who was now clutching the filly, horrified. For the first time, the smirk faded from his face.

"Young lad- young filly..." Alucard bit his tongue, "are you a virgin?"

images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090321001333/entertainment1/images/9/94/Alucard_Top_Ten_Sac.jpg

***

OK, I think we know where it goes from here. If not, read Hellsing manga. :trollestia:

1123937
Thanks for your input. I'm disappointed that it didn't work for you, but thanks for reading it. I enjoyed the idea of the night guards from Luna Eclipsed, and wanted to make a horror story with them, and vampirism seemed like a decent fit. Writing 18,000 words in a month with no editing help probably didn't do it any favors either, but I'm still proud of it.

Login or register to comment