• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 9,545 Views, 598 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Iron Mare (Revised Version) - Avenging-Hobbits



CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN: Rarity is Tony Stark, first in my lead series to The Avengers

  • ...
22
 598
 9,545

Act II - 09 - All These Things That I've Done

Act II:
“Who Are You”

Chapter Nine:
“All These Things That I've Done”

Rarity was awoken by a sharp knock on the window, causing her to snap upright with a start. She blinked rapidly, clearing away the last bits of sleep. She turned to her left to see where the source of the tapping had come from, only to nearly be blinded by a flashbulb to the face.

“MISS BELLE!” Came the muffled shout of the paparazzi photographer, only to be knocked asides by another photographer who greeted Rarity with another blinding flash from a camera.

“MISS BELLE DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOU-” he was cut off as Written Script’s horn glowed, completely muting the outside world. Rarity looked over to Written Script quizzically.

“Written Script what was that? Why are we surrounded by reporters?” she asked, “I thought we were supposed to be driving home.”

“That’s what I thought too, but apparently somepony told the media you were coming home…” he replied, shuffling quickly through his schedule. “Because that wasn’t supposed to happen for another three days.”

Rarity looked out the window wearily, the hundreds of ponies outside all assaulting the limo with thousands of flashing cameras and eager faces. “Well who do you think told the media?”

As if on cue, the mob outside cleared way for the limo to slowly drive up to Rarity’s front porch, where, standing at the front door with a broad smile on his face, was Fancy Pants, dressed to the nines. He trotted up to the limo and opened the door for Rarity.

“Why hello Rarity!” he said, still smiling as if his face was going to pop in half. He reached out to take Rarity’s hoof and help her out of the limo. "What a wonderful shirt you have!" he said, and Rarity caught his eyes briefly focus on the glowing rock in her chest, which peaked up from under the first few buttons on her shirt, which had been left unbuttoned. Rarity raised her eyebrows slightly, moving to button her shirt a little more, covering the diamond much more effectively now. She then took his hoof, tentatively stepping outside, only to have the pair of unicorns once more assaulted by the media mob. Rarity nearly stumbled forwards slightly, her legs still not used to supporting her own weight, before she was steadied by Fancy Pants.

“Um, Fancy…” Rarity said, looking around at the gaggle of reporters. “Why are they here? I kind of expected a more...low key reception.”

“Low key?” Fancy Pants asked, raising an eyebrow. “What about you is low key, Rarity? I thought you loved attention!” he chuckled, but the laughter seemed somewhat forced, as if he were an actor in a high school play. Rarity didn’t really have a chance to press the issue though, as she was rushed inside her house, door swinging open to allow her passage.

She stepped inside, while Fancy Pants turned to face the intrepid mob. “Mares and Gentlecolts of the media! Please, please hold your questions for a few more minutes. Please allow Miss Belle a chance to prepare herself, and then she will answer any and all your questions.”

And with that, the door closed, finally cutting off the outside world. Fancy Pants turned to look at Rarity, and she glared at him.

“What?” he asked nonchalantly. “Are you seriously thinking you could just come home in private?” he asked, arching an eyebrow.

“No, but I did expect to have a few hours to myself at the very least.” Rarity replied brusquely. Fancy Pants rolled his eyes.

“Oh Rarity, you of all ponies know that you can’t just disappear for three months and expect to just come home again without at least some fanfare.” he said, past her to head towards the kitchen. Rarity was about to protest when a series of fast, panicked knocks came at the door, distracting her for a moment.

She walked up to the door, peering through the peep-hole to see a very, very panicked looking Written Script seemingly trying to break the door down with his bare hooves. On his back, clutching to him like a life raft, was Sweetie Belle. Surrounding them where a horde of reporters, all shoving their microphones in the two ponies’ faces.

“Let us in!” Came Written Script’s voice over the intercom, and Rarity unlocked the door, opening it just enough to allow Written Script and Sweetie Belle to scramble through. But not before at least eight news reporters attempted to break in through the open door, which was forced shut as roughly as possible.

“Are you okay Written Script?” Rarity asked, and Written Script nodded rapidly.

“We barely escaped with our lives!” Sweetie Belle cried, scampering off Written Script’s back and hugging Rarity tightly. Rarity looked down at Sweetie Belle, gently nudging her off her leg.

“What do they want?” Rarity asked, looking towards Written Script. Written Script stood upright, shaking himself off slightly and straightening his ruffled jacket.

“Well, they wanted to speak with you. Rumor had it that you were convalescent or something. I said that you needed some rest.” he said, flopping down on the couch.

“Did you hear that Rarity?” Fancy Pants asked, reappearing from the kitchen with a bottle of champagne. “They thought you’re in a coma!” he said with a chuckle. Rarity sat down on the couch herself, taking a moment to process everything.

“Well...who told them that?” Rarity asked, looking towards Fancy Pants as he poured her some champagne. She took the glass in her magic and took a sip, happy to have the familiar taste of fine alcohol sprinkle across her tastebuds.

“Well, I certainly didn’t tell them that you were in a coma,” Fancy said, pouring himself a glass. “But I did tell them that once you arrived in Equestria, you would give them a brief press conference in order to assure that you are back on the saddle as it were.” he gave Rarity a wink upon saying the innuendo heavy sentence, before sitting down himself.

“Well Fancy, I wasn’t in a coma,” Rarity answered, looking at her glass. “I wish I was though…” she added quietly.

“What? Why would you want to be in a coma?” Sweetie Belle asked, tilting her head slightly. Rarity simply gave her a stern look.

“Because I don’t like being asked questions I don’t like to answer. That’s why.” she shifted her attention back to the glass. “But thank you for the Dom Pérignon, Fancy. I do think it’s wonderful. But right now, all I honestly want is to just be left alone, have some privacy and rest. Here with Written Script.” she took a sip of the champagne.

“When did you become so closed in?” Fancy asked bluntly, lowering his eyebrows slightly. Rarity shifted on the couch, replaying memories of Kili’s bleeding body laying limp in her arms. Along with feelings of loneliness, uselessness and defenselessness that came with it.

“Rarity? Equestria to Rarity!" Fancy said, tapping his hoof. Rarity blinked, the memories flickering away and the present coming back into focus. Fancy, Written Script and Sweetie Belle all looked at her with varying degrees of concern.

“Well? Are you going to speak with the media or not?” Fancy asked, breaking the silence. “Because you and I both know that the media is nothing more than a pack of dogs. You have to be nice and give them a bone before you can make them leave you alone,” he leaned forward, his voice lowering slightly. “All you need to do is give a quick little speech, just something to occupy them for a few days, and then you can become as reclusive as you want.”

Rarity said nothing, instead focusing her attention on the living room window a couple of feet away. Through the curtains, she could see the silhouettes of dozens of ponies, all clustered around every window they could find, their cameras silhouetted against the flashing of their flashbulbs.

“And Rarity, you and I both know that, unless you give them something, they’ll just remain camped out in front of your house like homeless ponies in the park.” Fancy added, the mental imagery making Rarity bite her lip slightly.

Fancy had a valid point. If Rarity remained inside, her home would quickly be surrounded and besieged like some sort of military fort, constantly under attack from the outside world. And honestly, all she wanted to do was retreat up to her bedroom and sleep for days on end. But she knew that if she didn’t give the news reporters something, the harassing wouldn’t end. She let out a long exhale, and stood up.

“Alright then Fancy, I’ll give them what they want. One quick Q and A. And then I want to be left alone for awhile. Understand?”

Fancy nodded, a small smile spreading across his face. “Perfectly understood.”

/////////////////////////////////

“And three, two, one...go”

The news reporter nodded, clearing his throat, putting a self assured smile on his face, and lifting the microphone to his lips.

“Hello everypony, this is Bold Type reporting for EQD, where, in another surprising development, Rarity Belle, less than four hours after returning home from nearly three months in captivity, has announced her intention for a press conference. The subject of the conference is still unknown, but most speculate that it concerns her recent ponynapping in Griffinheim.”

Rarity meanwhile, took a deep breath, steadying herself. Her legs were still wobbly, but at least now she could stand without any assistance. It was honestly quite surprising she was able to even stand on her own, since, that morning, she had been wheelchair bound.

Guess the gem really does help me heal faster… she thought, looking down at the glowing gem in her chest. She had neglected to hide it from Fancy Pants, and she had noticed his eyes would always seem to gravitate back to the glow of her gem, eyeing it more like a greedy dragon then a concerned friend. In this case however, she was dressed in a simple business suit, which was buttoned as to hide the gem as much as possible.

Not like everypony in Equestria needs to know about this. she thought, adjusting her suit jacket to cover up the tell-tale glow of the gem just a little more. She hoped that no one had noticed it when she had been rushed into the house, but, just in case, she was going to be sure to cover it this time.

“You ready, Rarity?” Written Script asked, trotting up next to her with his ever present notepad in hoof and tablet held aloft in his magic. “Because, I think, and this is just me speaking to you as a friend, that you should rest a little more...maybe even take a vacation.”

Rarity gave Written Script a slight smile. “Written Script, I was in a cave for three months. I think that’s enough time away from work for me. Wouldn’t you say?” she adjusted her collar a little. Written Script shrugged slightly.

“I guess,” he said. “Just be careful. I don’t want you falling over in front of everypony.”

Rarity laughed slightly. “Oh no need to worry about that, I’ll just cast a quick little energy spell. And really, Script, you can relax. I’m not dying for Celestia’s sake. Just a little tired is all. I’m pretty sure I just need to sleep it off. Watch.” she adjusted her collar again. “Now, do I look good?”

Written Script gave her a quick once over, before nodding. “Yeah you look good. Why’d you pick that business suit?”

Rarity tilted her head and shrugged. “I guess I just wanted something simple…” she subconsciously rubbed the gem under her shirt. “and I don’t want everypony knowing I have a mana reactor in my chest.” she cleared her throat again, as Fancy Pants, who had been warming the news reporters up, finished his speil.

“Here we go…” she murmured, giving Written Script a nod and flaring her horn, cloaking her body in the spell. She felt a surge of energy fill her up, and she stood up straighter, striding out with head held high.

“And now, Mares and Gentlecolts, the mare of the hour, Miss Rarity Belle.” Fancy Pants announced, stepping asides to let Rarity have the microphone. Almost instantly, the mob of reporters exploded with a torrent of rapid fire questions and inquires, along with a flood of flashing cameras. Rarity simply gave them a practiced smile, nodding slightly and adding a slight wave of her hoof.

She motioned for them to sit down and, like worshipers before an idol, the reporters all sat down in near perfect synchronization. Rarity then cleared her throat, and began to speak.

“Hello everypony, how are you this fair evening?” she asked cordially, causing a small wave of murmurs to spread through the audience. Apparently, the media hadn’t quite expected her to be so inviting, as their expressions were ones of general surprise.

“Do you have any questions to ask me or are you all just really happy to see me?” she asked with a laugh, hoping that the small joke would at least get them talking, which would mean she could go inside and rest all that much sooner.

Indeed, the joke seemed to do the trick, as the reporters all stood up in perfect synch once more, shoving their microphones forwards and belting out a thousand separate questions.

“Miss Belle, what is the purpose of the gem in your chest we spotted earlier?!”

“Miss Belle are the rumors correct in stating that you’re suffering from post traumatic stress?!”

“Are you actually an alien come to suck our brains Miss Belle?!”

Rarity held up a hoof in an attempt to calm the barrage of increasingly bizarre and off-beat questions, and instead attempted to find a reporter who seemed to be asking a legitimately important question. She spotted an incredibly homespun looking caramel coated earth pony stallion, wearing a pair of tortoise shell glasses and a suit that seemed to be at least a size too large, holding up a hoof. All in all, he looked incredibly non-threatening and unassuming, which made him the perfect choice for a first question.

“You, down in the front with the glasses,” Rarity said, pointing a hoof towards the glasses-touting stallion. The stallion nodded, taking his notepad in hoof.

“Caramel Apple, for the Ponyville Gazette,” he said, pushing his glasses up his nose slightly. Rarity nodded.

“Ah I see, right from my home town yes?” she chuckled, “Anyways, what is your question?”

“I would like to know how the recent ponynapping may have affected you, and if your experience might affect your company.” he asked, and Rarity bit her lip. She had not expected such a pointed and straightforward

“Do you want an honest answer?” she asked, running a hoof through her mane reflexively. The reporter nodded.

“Miss Belle if I wanted a dishonest one, I’d ask your PR department.” There was a series of scattered chuckles at the Ponyville reporter’s jab. The reporter however, still remained focused on Rarity. “So how are you?” he asked again, holding his notepad up a little more.

Rarity said nothing at first, searching her brain for a quick answer that would satisfy both her and the reporters. However, as much as she tried to avoid it, the question brought up something she hadn’t even considered. What would she do with her life now?

She had received some of the worst treatment imaginable, not only from a completely random group of boorish terrorists, but from ones who used her own designs against her and the country she loved. In all her years of working and creating various weapons and designs, it never once crossed her mind that someone, somewhere, would be able to get their hooves on once her designs and use it against Equestria. On top of that, it seemed that their weapons were new, seemingly fresh off the assembly line, inasmuch that they were still packed in their original shipping crates, Bellecorp logo emblazoned on the sides.

This brought her right back to the central question the Ponyville reporter had posed. Had her experience changed her?

Yes...yes it has, she thought somberly.

“Miss Belle?”

The reporter’s voice snapped Rarity back into reality, and she turned towards the Ponyville reporter. She swallowed, before nodding her head slightly.

“Well...Mr. Apple, to answer your question...yes, my time in captivity has changed me. It showed me the extent of which I have ignored the actions of my company. For far too long, this company made deals with those who would mean us harm, which has indirectly caused untold pain and suffering to thousands and thousands of innocent lives. I am ashamed to say that I have sat idly by, ignored the pain my company caused, and instead only sought to further my profits,” she paused, taking a breath and looking down at her hooves. She could almost see Kili, looking up at her and pointing a trembling finger towards her chest, whispering his final words: ‘Don’t waste your life.’

She tightened her jaw slightly. I won’t Kili...I won’t. she thought, straighten up and looking directly into one of the dozens of news cameras. “And that is why, I, Rarity Belle, am finally taking action against the wrongs my company, and, by extension, myself, has caused. From now on, Bellecorp shall focus as much of it’s energy towards our more neglected fields. Fields like medicine, clean energy and renewable materials shall now be the main goal of my company. We--I--have caused enough damage to this world, and I feel it is my duty to Equestria to work towards healing those wounds. Thank you for listening.”

And with that, she stepped down from the podium and turned to walk inside, ignoring the volcanic explosion of shouted questions.

/////////////////////////////////

Rarity closed the door behind her rather firmly, before deactivating the energy spell, causing her legs to once more become wobbly. She leaned up against the wall to catch her breath, feeling a wave of exhaustion crash over her.

“Stupid energy spell…” she muttered, as she sat down to catch her breath, slipping off the uncomfortable high heels she had been wearing. Looking down at her chest, she worried if the gem had somehow begun to malfunction somehow due to the complicated spell she had just cast. I should look into replacing this with a more refined model. she thought, remembering how she had crafted this particular gem with only the most simplistic and basic tools.

“What the hell was that?” Fancy Pants asked, stomping up to Rarity and distracting her from her worries.

Rarity shook her head, bracing herself up against against the wall. “Fancy, I said what needed to be said. Nothing more.”

“What needed to be said?! You’ve just sunk this whole company!” Fancy shot back, stomping a hoof on the ground for emphasis. “Don’t you realize how much restructuring we’re going to have to undergo to pursue what you’re asking? The company isn’t like one of your computers that you can just restart whenever you like!”

Rarity shook her head. “Fancy, please stop. You look as if you’re about to blow a gasket,” she said, waving him away. “...not to mention you’re giving me a horrible headache.” she added with a mutter.

Me? Give you a headache? Are you serious? I’m the one who’s going to have to go back to The Board and tell them that you just cut off 70 percent of our income because you’re feeling some strange sense of guilt!” Fancy replied, his voice shrill.

“Fancy please,” Rarity asked, standing on her own and stepping away from Written Script. “Just tell them I want the company to change direction. Anyways, you have a knack for organizing things, so I’m pretty sure you and the geeks in accounting can figure out a way to make it all work.” she said, slipping on a pair of slippers.

Fancy said nothing, simply rolling his eyes and facepalming. “Fine, be that way. I guess I’ll have to be the one to bare the brunt of The Board’s wrath...again.” With that, he turned and headed out the door. As he left, Rarity could hear the reporters barraging him with thousands of questions, only for the noise to cut off once the door shut.

What now? she thought, turning to walk down the hall. She had just announced the total restructuring of her entire company, and had gotten chewed out by Fancy for it. She let out a heavy sigh. She was too tired right now to deal with the consequences of her actions. She felt a strange, hollow feeling in the bottom of her chest, as if someone had taken a spoon and scooped out her soul. Maybe I should just work it off, she thought idly, looking towards the hall that lead to her lab. More often than not, whenever she felt angry, or frustrated with something, she’d go to her lab, seal herself away, and work it off.

I guess it’s work then… she thought, turning to towards the hall. Before she could take a step however, she noticed Written Script and Sweetie Belle, who, in the chaos of the media typhoon, she had totally forgotten. They both looked at her with a strange, undefinable expression.

“What? Is what I did that crazy?” she asked, and Written Script shrugged slightly.

“I don’t know, Rarity…I just think it’s really sudden is all.” he answered. Rarity sighed.

“Well, I guess you’re right. I can count on you to handle it though? I know I’ll need somepony who supports me, since Fancy obviously isn’t exactly adamant about it.”

Written Nodded. “That’s kinda my job, so I’d say so yes.”

Rarity smiled. It felt good to know that at least somepony supported her, even when she was doing the most unexpected of things. “Thank you Script. If you need me, I’ll be in my lab...Celestia knows I feel like working on something.”

And with that, she started down the hall and towards her lab.

/////////////////////////////////

“Damn it.” Rarity grumbled, tossing the sketch asides into the ever increasing pile of rejected sketches. At first, she thought work would be the answer, and had locked herself away in her lab, hoping to work off the awkward empty feeling in her chest. However, it seemed that inspiration was illuding her, as her mind would always go back to the cave and what had happened there. In particular, it went back to the suit she and Kili had been building. In any other situation, the suit would have been a good thing, as it was a potential breakthrough in her andriod designs, but now, it only reminded her of her failures.

She had promised Kili they’d get out. That she’d build the suit and they’d escape together. And what had happened? It had all crashed down around her, with him falling into her arms mortally wounded. And why had that happened? Because of her arrogance. She thought she could honestly just shoot her way out like some sort of macho, gun toting hero from an action movie with cheap tricks and a one-liner. But alas, when the moment had come and she was needed, she had failed. She had blown their secret to Ahuizotl, and because of that, Kili was now dead.

With another angry grumble, she started sketching again, trying to channel all her frustration into one drawing. In this case, it had been a gigantic version of the suit, holding Ahuizotl and his Griffin henchman in hoof, horn alight and seemingly ready to mete out justice upon the terrified creatures in it’s metal hoof. Rarity felt an odd sense of satisfaction at seeing Ahuizotl looking frightened, even if it was only a sketch. A knock on her workshop door caught her attention, and her ears perked up at the sound of the door opening.

“I thought I locked that door.” she said aloud, spinning in her chair to see Written Script standing in the doorway.

“Oh...it’s you. What do you want?” she asked, turning back to the drawing table to try and start a new sketch.

“Just wanted to check on you is all,” Written Script said, trotting up to her. “You’ve been in here for almost four hours.”

“That long?” Rarity asked, looking up at the clock. “Six o’clock already?”

Written Script nodded. “Yeah, you’ve been in here since two. Sweetie Belle’s been worried.”

“Worried? Why should she be worried?” Rarity asked, turning to look at Written Script.

“Because she’s your sister?” Written Script asked rhetorically. “She thinks you’re being depressed.”

“I’m not depressed Written Script...I’m frustrated.” Rarity answered, looking back at her sketch pad. “I’ve been trying to get back to my work, but it seems inspiration is evading me.”

Written Script shrugged. “Maybe you’ve been trying to hard and just need a break.” he said, already starting to pick up all the scattered papers that covered the floor. “And I will remind you that the last time you tried to force inspiration, you set the workshop on fire.”

“Suggestions then?” Rarity asked, leaning back in her chair.

Written Script shrugged, tossing a ball of paper into a waste bin. “I don’t know...maybe a pizza dinner with me and Sweetie? You’re work will be here in the morning anyways, Rarity.”

Rarity sighed, the mental imagery of fresh, steaming hot pizza making her mouth water and stomach rumble. Come to think of it I am rather hungry… she thought.

“Alright then, Script, you win. But why Sweetie? Can’t you just send you back to Mother where she belongs?” she asked, getting out her chair and stretching.

“Because she’s your sister and you can’t keep shoving her aside like she’s a toy. Anyone who looks at her around you can tell she idolizes you.”

Rarity paused in the doorway. “Really?”

“Yeah. I mean, yesterday, I found her in the living room with like, eight erector sets, trying to make them into one big building or something.”

Rarity raised her eyebrows slightly. “Really? That’s rather impressive…” she said, not wanting to admit that she now felt some guilt. She herself had many fond memories with erector sets, and had found herself often reopening the box and spending a few hours tinkering.

“...either way, she should be sent home already,” Rarity finally said, having noticed her long pause.

“Well, apparently, you’re mother says otherwise.”

Rarity scoffed. “She would. What’s the excuse now?”

“Fashion show got extended. She won’t be back for another week.” Written Script answered, and Rarity nodded knowingly.

“Of course it was.” she let out an huff. “Let’s get that pizza then. Might as well try to keep the little imp quite right? Not to mention I’m starved.”

Written Script nodded. “Sure thing.”

And with that, the pair left the workshop.

Author's Note:

Yeah sorry about the extremely long wait for something that doesn't seem like much, but I figured I was pushing myself too hard with this chapter.

So I decided to just leave off with Rarity leaving the lab to go and try get out of the house, which gives me both time to breathe and also a better, less contrived way for Rarity to have her epiphany. The announcement of her company changing directions is like a half-epiphany if you will, since she hasn't yet built up the resolve to actively go and do anything herself. She still thinks her company can fix the problem.

So yeah, I know this chapter feels like another "nothing happened" chapter, but I figure we can have at least a few of those to help make sure the story isn't rushed.

Don't worry, I'll have her start building the suit soon.