• Published 28th Apr 2018
  • 256 Views, 1 Comments

The Legacy Of Darkness - Darkness 1



40 years have passed since the death of Darkness, Equestria has enjoyed peace since then, however, evil never rests long, and a new evil arises.

  • ...
 1
 256

Remembrance and Premonitions

In the kingdom of the night, things had changed not only inside of the castle, but outside of it as well, the stars were never the same, and one big bright star was missing, the beauty of the night seemed like it was commemorating a loss, somepony that the princess of the night, Princess Luna, had lost 40 years ago. She stepped outside and went to the balcony her and her husband, Darkness, used to go out on with her, 40 years ago. She looked up at the night sky and the stars, sighed, bowed her head down for a few seconds, then lifted it back up, and went back inside the castle. She then proceeded to her chambers, and when she had reached the doors of her chambers, the guards moved aside, and one of them asked, "Princess, is there anything you need?"
Princess Luna said, with much sadness, "No, but I thank you for asking, I just wish for some time alone."
The guards saluted, and the other one said, "If there is anything you need, just ask, we will patrol the hall just out front of your chambers."
Princess Luna said, "Thank you, I will let you know if there is anything."
The guards said nothing else and went away from Princess Luna's chamber doors, and went to the hall just a little ways from her chambers, and when they were out of Princess Luna's earshot, they began to talk to each other, as one said, as he sighed, "It just hasn't been the same around here."

The other guard said, "I know what you mean, and neither has our princess been the same either....Ever since that tragedy that happened to her husband 40 years ago, things have just been...well.."
The other guard finished the sentence and said, "Gloomy, yeah, I can see how much it weighs on her, and how much it has affected her. Things around here have just been rather quiet and almost lifeless." The guard sighed, and continued, "I remember when our princess used to be so full of life, a strong will, and had so much happiness, it showed throughout the night sky, and the stars shone so beautifully....but now...."
The other guard said, "But now, it's lost it's shine, it's lost a part of its former beauty, of course, the night sky and stars are still pretty, but its still just not like it used to be, especially, without that big star that used to be there..."
The other guard cut him off, and said, "It's none of our business when it comes to the stars, if we were required to know anything about that, we would've been told already, I'm sure the princess has her reasons, although, I'm sure its means something important, but enough talk, we better get back to our rounds." They only nodded, and continued their patrols, trying to think of a way of how things could've been different had not their princess's husband not died.

Meanwhile, back in Princess Luna's chambers, she closed the doors, and locked them, and went to her bookshelf nearby one of her windows, and pulled out, a rather large book. She then took the book to her desk, and placed it there, as she pulled up a chair and sat down. She then with her magic, got some ink, and a couple of quills, and began to write. When she had finished two hours later, she read softly to herself what she had read, and she said, in a quiet, soft tone, "Journal Entry number 32, to my children and to anypony else that reads this, I write this journal for the sake of not only history, but to understand any and all events that have happened in my lifetime, and whatever future events happen, they will be documented, and remembered, so that way, those generations, that I will not likely be able to see after my lifetime is over, will learn something out of all of this, and what just transpired a week ago. But before I go into detail on that, there are a matter of things I would like to discuss first: ever since my husband, Darkness died in the grassy fields, just outside of the capital of the ruins of the sorcerer pony city, things just haven't been the same. Our love for each other was undeniable, I can only wish things could've turned out differently, that somehow, my husband wouldn't have had to die."

Princess Luna took a breath, and continued, "I know that it might be silly to think such things, but I cannot help but wonder if there had to have been another way. Of course, I have pondered and looked at all the facts and events that lead up to that moment, and I see the truth: there was no other way, in order for Bolverk to have been permanently defeated, or even defeatable at all, and banished from the mortal realm, Darkness knew the only solution: it had to be one-on-one battle against Bolverk, just him, and Bolverk. As he had once told Twilight and the others, and was I later told about it, he once said, 'There is no other way, only a sorcerer pony can defeat a sorcerer pony'." Princess Luna then said, "From the very beginning, he knew what had to do, even though he knew what might happen, he faced his destiny head-on, but I don't think, he wanted to die, he wanted to be with me forever, as he once told me. I know now, and accept the fact that he did what he had to do, but I still miss him so, having his soul around my neck, just isn't the same, as having him by side. Anyways, it has been 40 years since the defeat and permanent banishment of Bolverk, and Equestria has enjoyed a peaceful time since then. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that we haven't had Queen Chrysalis try to attack, but she never got very far, eventually, she left us all alone after her failed third attempt, at trying to attack and take over the Crystal Empire, she let us all be after that. Of course, that doesn't mean to say we haven't had other villains try and threaten Equestria's hard-won peace, but together, we dealt with them, as each one arose."

Princess Luna looked up at the moon, and then back at the journal, and continued reading, "But even so, the Crystal Empire was able to be rebuilt to its former glory 20 years ago, and the rest of Equestria had made any and all repairs in-between those years. Which reminds me, as for the Darkness museum, that all races helped build together, it gets visitors all year round, with a few months set aside, every two years, for those that were there with Darkness or lived with him. As for those that got weapons from Darkness, Twilight, and the others felt, it was too much power for one pony to wield alone, so they donated the weapons, to the museum, where they now share a place among some of Darkness's finest achievements, and his life story. As they were being donated, the museum, Twilight and the others, decided to call them 'relic weapons', and now each one has an exhibit, on their origins, and history of their use and owners, which that knowledge, was donated to the museum by Twilight. As for those that were given practical things by Darkness, I was told by them, that they still use them to this day, for day-to-day chores, and duties, in and around their individual homes. A few things have changed because of my husband's brave sacrifice, I can only wonder though, would he smile seeing the future that we have all built? I wonder what he would say. For one, two new races of ponies have emerged: both from beyond anything that has been mapped, from an island to the far east, and the other race from a massive island to the far west. The ponies from the east call themselves, 'The Powder Smith Ponies'. They had been looking for Equestria for trade opportunities, and to see Equestria for themselves, and the land the legend of Darkness, had come from, and even a hopeful meeting with the fabled hero Of course, Celestia and I and many others were happy to show them around and teach them our customs and ways here in Equestria, but we had to regrettably tell them that Darkness saved the of Equestria and died forty years ago, doing so. They were deeply saddened by this news, and gave me, their deepest condolences, because even in their lands, word had reached them of me and Darkness's marriage. Plus, both races gave me some rather beautiful and rare things and gifts, in their own way, to show their sorrow, for my loss, and Equestria's loss, as both races said, 'He was a true hero, a living legend, something everypony should strive to be, not in power, but in the strong morals and values, Darkness had, and be willing to do whatever it takes, to keep this world safe from those that wish it harm. His name, and his deeds, will be known in our lands, songs will be sung, and everything he had written down in his books shall be taught in every school our lands have, for he gave so much, and even his own life, for our future, so we should do our part, that the future he envision, comes to light one day." Princess Luna sighed, and then continued to read, "For me, when I heard these foreigners say these things about him, it became clear to me, that even in their distant lands, they had heard of his books, and respected the pony my husband was, and not for his power, but for all the selfless and great things he did for everypony, so we could live to see another day. After both races said these things, 'The Powdersmith Ponies,' in return, taught us their specialty, and even how to make it, something that they called 'Black Powder'. But that's not all they taught us, they taught us all that had helped them, how to make something they called cannons, as well, and when they were done, they boarded their ships and left Equestria, to go back to their home. As for the ponies from the west, they called themselves, 'The Shipbuilder Ponies', had come not only because for the reasons earlier, but they also had heard that the citizens of Equestria had been very helpful and kind to the Powder Smith Ponies, and had come to teach us all their specialty as their way of thanks. As it turns out they were all distant cousins, and were allied with each other. Anyways, they taught us how to make all kinds of ships for all sorts of purposes and uses, and when they were done, they left. However, something tells me, those two ponies races will be back for more visits, perhaps even someday, Equestria can send some of our own kind to visit their nations? Maybe someday perhaps. As for Equestria itself, things were, for most part, back to the way it once was: nice and peaceful, but it came at a cost: the loss of losing the one thing I cared so much about, the loss of my husband, and many others lost their lives when the evacuation from the cities and villages from Bolverk's undead army, but they too, have been given the respect they deserve: they have a big headstone with all their names on it, in their honor, of their bravery, for they were the ones that fought back, and distracted Bolverk's undead army so many others could reach safety, they always will be remembered, for what they did for all of Equestria and its citizens, although, I sometimes feel, that our victory and being able to see another day, might've come at too high at cost, especially for me, but I know, that what had to done, had to be done, and that fate is not always going to work the way you want it to.

Princess Luna paused, and then said, "However, it seems evil never rests forever, and not for very long, I can only wish we had all responded to the signs of the rising darkness sooner, for what has transpired in the past week, may have turned out better and differently. And so to the reader, may you read this, learn from what I write here, so that our mistakes are not repeated. I shall start with what happened on the first day of last week..the first day of fall....."