• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 18,327 Views, 1,334 Comments

Lines and Webs - Airstream



In a world of peace, there must be Order. No matter what the cost.

  • ...
54
 1,334
 18,327

PreviousChapters Next
Of Reclamation and Rebellion

Though the season was the middle of fall, the sun shone brightly enough on this day that many could have mistaken it for summer. This was perfectly understandable, as today was the day a terrible nightmare had ended, the day Celestia's most faithful student returned to her service as the Element of Magic. The ceremony was to take place in the largest of Canterlot's public forums, able to hold over ten thousand without counting the accommodations made for Pegasi. And it was packed, full to the brim with those who wanted to get a glimpse of the legendary unicorn.

Public opinion on Twilight Sparkle was very much divided. Most looked at her with a healthy dose of sympathy. After all, she had been through quite a lot, nopony disagreed on that point. It really wasn't her fault, simply a case of opening the wrong book at the wrong time. Magic was a fickle thing, and though she was supposedly the most powerful unicorn in existence, it would really be all too easy for something unsavory to wriggle its way into her mind. Then there were those, ignorant or scared or angry, who believed that she should be brought to justice, made to answer in full for her crimes against Equestria. It hardly mattered if it was dark magic that did it, somepony had to answer for the tragedy at Fillydelphia, and there was really only one target left to lay blame on.

Regardless of whether you believed she was innocent, guilty, crazy, or sane, Celestia's favored pupil was the subject of every conversation. A movement was underway to preserve her treehouse in Ponyville against her arrival, and many had donated books and scrolls to restock its shelves. Another was gathered outside of the castle gates, demanding that Celestia release her pupil to face justice, and the Guard had been dispatched several times to restore order. Diplomatic ties with most every nation outside of Equestria were an absolute nightmare, and the Commander of the Guard was retired in disgrace, his replacement immediately recognizable, a curious young unicorn who appeared to be a melding of armor and pony.

Once again, Twilight's friends were celebrities, and all but Pinkie Pie had requested permission to bring their families and loved ones up to the castle until the furor died down. Their requests were, of course, granted. The pink pony in question had already decided to stay in Canterlot, but insisted Allspice run the bakery until their baby arrived in a few short weeks. The arduous activities of the past few weeks had truly drained her of energy, and Celestia was loath to let her travel any more than she needed to, citing her near miss with losing the foal as a reason for her to stay. The castle was the ideal place to give birth, well appointed, calm, with an excellent staff in case things went wrong. In the current climate, Canterlot Castle was a bastion of calm in the rumbling sea of Equestria's unsettled populace.

So it was that on this most unusual of days, the monarch of Equestria donned her raiment, thanking Silver Lily warmly, and beginning the short flight to the forum below. In the next tower, her sister did the same with her own crown and girdle, checking herself over in the mirror to ensure that she looked presentable, and glancing around her spartan quarters fondly before concealing a small cloth bag on her person and following her sister towards the city. The populace of Canterlot, while certainly more used to the sight than other parts of Equestria, still gasped in awe at the majesty soaring above them, two perfect rulers silhouetted against the bright clear blue of the sky.

Twilight Sparkle was being similarly prepared. The effects of the massive magical trauma she had recently undergone had taken its toll on her body. Her movements were still weak and feeble, and her coat and mane had lost some of their luster. Her eyes were sunken and dull, and it had taken Rarity the better part of an hour and three cups of tea to get her looking somewhat like her normal self. She had smiled at her gently before removing the inhibitor ring from around her horn, and Twilight had responded by lifting another band, an intricate weaving of ivory and gold, over her horn using her newly regained magic. Together, they had left her room, and as a group Twilight's friends escorted her to a chariot, assuring her that they would be in the front row during the ceremony, ready to cheer just as loudly as the rest of the crowd. At last, the gates to Canterlot Castle opened wide, and Twilight Sparkle rode alone to a ceremony in her honor. Once again, Celestia would claim her as her own.


________________________________________


The trip through the crowded streets of Canterlot had been eventful to say the least. Face with large crowds of ponies alternately cheering her and cursing her, the Guards pulling her chariot had down so that a contingent of bulky, armored Earth ponies could fall in around her, lockstepping all the way to the forum, where the Regulars had been replaced by Guard members that had tried their best to escort her inside without having to pick her up and physically carry her in. They had been successful, but only just, having to roughly push aside several ponies in their haste to get her inside. Twilight got a brief glimpse of a small filly, looking at her in wonder and wearing a vaguely familiar looking wreath of golden laurels, before she was rushed into a small tunnel, one that carried her underground to the area where the ceremony would be taking place.

Twilight noticed that several of the Guard members gave her a wide berth, and a few of them sported livid bruises in patches over their bodies. She supposed that the condition of these Guards was due to her. Slowing down, she leaned against the side of the tunnel, trying to catch her breath. The armored ponies halted, waiting patiently for her to recover. After she had taken a moment to compose herself, she spoke.

"If I hurt any of you over the past few days, then I would like to apologize. What I did was inexcusable, and I'm sorry I caused you any pain."

The leader of the group, a stocky coal-colored Pegasus with a scar over one eye, smiled at her, something she had never seen a Guardspony do on duty. "It's quite all right, Miss Sparkle. Nothing worse than a few bruises and a day of being confined to quarters while we recovered. And the Princess briefed us on what had happened, so every stallion here knows it's not your fault. Are you ready to continue?"

Twilight nodded, and once again the group trotted forward, reaching a solid double door of iron, set into the stone around it and guarded by two unicorns in full armor. The leader of her group ventured forward, speaking in low tones to the guards, who saluted and placed their hooves on the rings of the door, ready to pull on his mark. The leader ventured forward, the light glinting off of his Cutie Mark, a small bunch of golden vines.

"Very well then, Miss Sparkle, here's what you will do. That door opens no more than one hundred meters from the stage, where the Princesses Luna and Celestia are waiting. All you have to do is walk right down the aisle. Once there, a brief speech will be given, and you will place the Element on your head. Celestia will touch your horn with hers, giving you a small spark of magic, and Luna shall do the same. This is to signify that you have been approved by both rulers to wield the Element once more. After that, it should take care of the rest on its own. It doesn't even need the other Elements to be nearby, so they're locked up tight in the Vault. The ceremony will end with you taking one knee and bowing to Celestia and Luna. And that's really about it. Any questions?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, I think it sounds fairly straightforward. Thank you very much, and again, I'm truly very sorry for whatever I did to you and your soldiers."

The Pegasus smiled once more. "Think nothing of it, Miss Sparkle. And good luck."

With that, the Guard detail turned and proceeded back into the tunnel. Twilight Sparkle turned, nodding to the guards, who pulled the doors open in a single motion, allowing the bright sun to shine through. Taking a brief moment to compose herself, Twilight scraped at the ground nervously before holding her head high and walking into the light.


________________________________________


The noise was overwhelming. Twilight Sparkle had stepped into a massive stadium, the center of attention for ten thousand shrieking ponies, the only thing between her and the Princess being a set of stairs that jutted out of the stone towards the dais where they waited. Momentarily frozen, she forced herself to adjust to the noise and began to walk by simple virtue of putting one hoof in front of the other, proceeding slowly and with all the dignity she could muster. The Princesses of the Sun and Moon watched patiently as the unicorn, bowed and bruised but not broken or beaten, marched towards the podium in a way that would have made her brother proud had he been in the stadium instead of outside.

At last, she reached the steps, taking measured strides over each one, aware and uncaring of all the eyes currently on her as she focused solely on reaching her goal. A rock was thrown, followed by two more, and then a rose. Twilight avoided the first three, and then swept the stands behind the Princesses to see where the flower had come from. She couldn't see who had thrown it, but it wasn't for the lack of looking. She found her eye drawn to one section of the stands, where a Pegasus in strange leather armor waved cheerily at her, a cheeky grin on her face and her golden eyes sparkling with joy. Twilight turned her gaze away, noticing that even as she did so, the Pegasus never lost that expression of happiness. Finally, she reached the dais, inclining her head to the Princesses, who bowed in return. The arena fell silent as Celestia spread her wings and addressed the crowd, voice booming off of the walls.

"Fellow Equestrians! We gather here today to rejoice! My faithful student, once held in the grip of foul and black magic, has returned to us thanks to the magic of Harmony, and has agreed to take up her mantle once more. Her mind may have been warped by evil, her body possessed by forces she could not control, but through it all, her heart remained pure. In no other way could the Elements have retrieved her, and so today we honor her courage and dedication to her friends, her country, and herself!"

There was a roar from the crowd that could not be rightly called a cheer.

"There are those of you who say that she is to blame, that her actions must be accounted for, whether she intended to do what she did or not. To those of you who agree with that sentiment, I say to you that you must only look at my sister, who once suffered through much the same thing, and was also saved by the Elements of Harmony. I now know that among many of you, she is beloved and held in high regard, as she should be! I say to you, do not let my student's actions be reflected upon too harshly in your minds, for what happened to her could have happened to any magic user, even one who is master of the Moon and Stars herself.

Now my most faithful of students is with us once more, to accept her role as Bearer of the Element of Magic, and to restore balance to the Power of Harmony they contain. May I have the Element, please?"

A young Pegasus flapped forward, holding the familiar diadem on a cushion.

Celestia's voice lowered. "Thank you, Silver Lily. You may go."

The Pegasus bowed, flying back into the shadows. Celestia turned to Twilight, smiling beatifically as she set the Element upon her brow. Twilight knelt slightly, as the Princess bowed her head, a small spark of magic arcing between their horns, a spark that refreshed Twilight and left her feeling clean and new. She turned to Luna, who dropped a small cloth bag out of her girdle before touching Twilight's horn with her own, and with a sound like thunder, the two of them fell into black.


________________________________________


Where I am I?

Hush, child. Celestia has Bound thy memories tightly, and I have not much time.

What do you mean, bound?

Be silent! I've almost...got it!

Twilight gasped as the landscape of her mind suddenly rewrote itself, her hooves landing on green grass, a familiar mansion in the distance and all of her memories intact. She reeled as the memories of her revelation came back in full force, the betrayal of her mentor and her lover and her friends suddenly fresh in her mind. Spike, the Professor, Golden Radiance...wait. That Pegasus in the stands, the one who had thrown the rose...flowers bloomed around her hooves. Tarantella. And that stallion in the tunnel...his Cutie Mark. Grapevine was in the arena too. A voice suddenly echoed through the air, as the sun hovered right above the horizon, sending blood red streaks through the twilight.

Meet me in the house, Twilight Sparkle. We have much to discuss.

The unicorn picked up her hooves, trotting forward and heading for the house. What she didn't understand was Luna's role in this. She had...double crossed her? Or double crossed Celestia. Or maybe she had triple crossed everybody. Or maybe she was on her own side. Twilight nodded. That seemed far more likely at this point. She walked through the front door, through a twisting maze of passages that she did not remember constructing. At last, she stopped in front of a simple wooden door, pushing it to one side to reveal Princess Luna sitting at a table, a chessboard in front of her. She looked up from the game.

"Welcome, Twilight. I'm sure you have quite a few questions. Please, sit down."

Twilight crossed the room calmly, and without warning buried a hoof in Princess Luna's face. The Alicorn dropped like a sack of rocks. Twilight spoke quietly to her, voice laden with the sort of fury that ends worlds. "How dare you sacrifice me like that. I'm not a damn pawn, Luna. You had no right."

Luna picked herself up, regarding her with equal calm. She lifted a hoof to her nose, which came away bloody. "I suppose I deserve that in some small measure. But it was essential that Celestia believe that you had no idea of my betrayal. Otherwise, what I have planned would never work. And you were never in danger, Twilight. My followers are everywhere. But if you need an explanation, look to my chessboard."

Twilight turned to the partially played game in front of her. As she watched, a pawn moved from cover, directly in front of the White Queen, threatening it. The Queen, in order to protect itself, moved to take it. Luna spoke. "Your capture. Regrettable, but necessary. Observe what occurs next." Twilight watched as a previously unthreatening Black Queen rocketed across the board, seemingly engaged with several other pieces, to strike down her sister piece. "Black Queen takes White. White's line is shattered. Discover check."

The Alicorn smiled, and gave a low laugh. "My sister thinks herself subtle. But she has always been a bit of a brute when it comes to this sort of thing. I once beat her thirty eight games of chess in a row, Twilight. True subtlety escapes her. That is the Night's domain. And you were essential to remaining one step ahead of her the whole way."

Twilight was confused. "Well, what now?"

The Alicorn's expression grew serious. "I have done several things, Twilight. You need to pay attention and do exactly as I say, because once we are done here all shall be thrown into Chaos for a short while.

Firstly, I have restored your memories, and retrieved your crystal from storage, dropping it at your feet. The Pegasus Tarantella is currently carrying a small pack with Golden Radiance inside. And I have managed to place one of my guards on duty watching Spike. His opiate spell should be wearing off as we speak. All your assets, therefore, are completely intact. You will need to flee the city, and head for the Everfree Forest. Go to the Old Capital. My Lunar Guard waits for you there, along with many others. They shall assist you in whatever way you see fit.

Secondly, I have given you all of the magic I can spare. All the ability to access Binding magic I have, and as much of the Breaking as I could spare. This will enable you to do what many think impossible. Before you are able to use much of my Breaking magic, though, you must learn control. Do so, and the rewards will be great. You shall be among the greatest of magic users, greater than the Dragon King himself, able to command the Lords of Tartarus should you desire. You will be able to defend yourself against Celestia. Indeed, once you are awake, you will need to render her unconscious. It should not be difficult to do so, she will be taken by surprise.

Thirdly, and this is the most important, I have Broken your Element's ties to the others. This means that Celestia will not be able to control it again until it can be brought back under her control. Once you knock her unconscious, you must prepare to run. Do not let it fall into her hooves. If you use enough of your magic, you might be able to take some of Celestia's power as well. Use my magic to disrupt the broadcast of the Elements, and render their signal to be noticed consciously. Then, use her power to boost it. Let that audible signal ring across Equestria. Let her treachery be revealed."

Twilight cut in. "Wait, Princess Luna. What are you going to do?"

The Princess smiled sadly, indicating the chessboard. "White Bishop takes Black Queen. Black Pawn four move to check. Discover mate."

"I don't understand."

"Twilight Sparkle, the only way you will be allowed to escape is if my sister takes me in your stead. I will never be able to lead a rebellion, because of my failed attempt all those years ago. Ponies will not follow me. But you are young, and charismatic, and infinitely more capable of getting ponies to follow you than I ever was. I have given you most of my power, and the rest has gone to Breaking the Elemental ties that bind my sister's work together. As of now, I am little more than an immortal Pegasus with a horn. When you wake, I shall be unconscious, completely powerless. You must leave me and run."

"I won't do that."

"Then you shall most assuredly perish, and all my work will have been for naught. My sister cannot break my will again without the Elements, and if you allow her to take that one away from you, I shall be little more than a slave, relegated for eternity to the shadows. She will know exactly what I have done. My magic is familiar to her. I have chosen my side and made my sacrifice, Twilight Sparkle. Don't waste it. Refuse to leave me, and my sister will capture you, and then it is the caves and the rack for you."

Twilight sighed, staring at the chessboard. "I will come back for you, you realize that."

"Then do so, but not until you are assured that you can move your pawns in exchange for my piece back, without putting yourself in danger. Now, we do not have much time. Are you ready? Don't forget your crystal after Celestia is defeated."

"I'm ready."

The Alicorn bowed to her. "It's been an honor, Twilight Sparkle. Good luck."


________________________________________


Twilight opened her eyes on the podium, everything moving in slow motion. Swiftly, she reached for Luna's Breaking Magic, dark lightning crackling from her horn and catching Celestia by surprise. The crowd screamed as the Solar and Lunar sisters slumped to the ground near simultaneously. Twilight caught sight of her friends looking on in horror as she focused on her Element, as well as the ones locked inside the castle. Twilight dampened their flames with her magic, feeling them rebel against the suffocating black. Reaching deep inside, she felt for the Power, and offset it inside the gems ever so slightly. They would be broadcasting a clear message for the next fifteen minutes. Twilight hoped that would be enough. Seizing hold of them all roughly, Twilight channeled as much Breaking and Binding magic as she could through the Catalysts, and she smiled as she heard the instructions they constantly whispered, thoughts of conformity and peace becoming suddenly a lot more audible. Twilight noticed several Pegasi speeding towards her, Rainbow Dash at their head. Twilight released the dampening signal, and smiled in satisfaction as every pony in the arena, including the flyers, rocked back as the voices in their heads became noticeable. She stepped forward.

"Ponies of Equestria! Listen well, for that is the sound you were born listening to. Most of you probably forgot it was there. I know I did. This voice is that of Harmony, and until recently, it was a part of your lives, directing your actions and coercing your conformity. Many of you would find this comforting, even welcome. I am here to say that I refuse to agree with it anymore! There are those who do not wish you to listen, they do not wish you to hear it. Mere obedience is all Princess Celestia desires. I suspect even now, there are Guards on their way to take me prisoner, to hold me until the Elements you are currently listening to can whisper much more forcefully into my ear, as they did mere days ago.

That signal you hear stretches across Equestria. Everypony, stallion, mare, and foal, hears it. It's there when you work, when you eat, when you bathe, when you play, even when you are asleep you are listening to that voice. All your lives, you have been given the illusion of free will. But now you know the truth. Until recently, I sought to spread that truth. Until recently, I was the only pony in Equestria who understood the extent of Celestia's plans. Until recently, I was the only one who knew of her plans, her plans for a fourth Alicorn, my supposed child, who would kill me and go on to dominate your minds even more thoroughly than they are dominated now. No grief, no pain, no anger would ever be felt again. No disobedience, no questioning of the social order, no desire for change would ever be heard again, either.

If that is desirable to you, if you wish to be only another blissfully ignorant part of the machine, then I suggest you remain under Celestia's rule. It is certainly safer there, and nopony is more desirous of safety than I. But if this sits wrongly with you, if you no longer wish to live a lie, if you truly wish to take part in the glorious struggle that is the possession of free will, truly free will, then I tell you this. Throw off your shackles! Refuse Harmony! And when you think that you are ready, come find me. I'll be waiting for you. Together, we will forge a new Equestria, one that we build on our own, as ponies, not as puppets. Join me, and have your lives back. Don't live the lie."

Twilight grabbed her crystal and ran down the steps, noticing her brother at the head of a column of Guards, adamantium plates gleaming in the sun as his magical eye focused on her. The ponies behind him fanned out, and he lowered his head to intercept her. Upon reaching the bottom of the steps, she halted, scraping her hoof in preparation for a charge. She settled the pendant around her neck once more, tapping into its energy. Shining Armor planted his hooves, and she lowered her head.

"You're kidding. You're kidding, right?" Shining Armor asked incredulously. Twilight's horn sparked with magic as she sprang forward, her brother thundering to meet her. And just like she had done ten years ago, Twilight Sparkle blinked out of existence, leaving all of the Guards in Canterlot streaming to the arena, and the Castle that was her target undefended.

Hold on, Spike. I'm coming.


________________________________________


Spike struggled against the chains weakly, feeling them contract as he shifted. He growled. Twilight needed him, and he had been down here and drugged for...who knew how long? The opiate spell made time behave differently, that was for sure. For some reason, though, it appeared to be wearing off. Hearing hooves echoing off of the walls, Spike quickly closed his eyes, faking sleep. A familiar voice came to him.

"Yes, he's still here. Look out for her, we can still pull this off. Yes, I'm authorizing you to use whatever means necessary to capture her, short of killing her. She did what? Celestia preserve us, what a nightmare. Yes, I'm looking at him right now. Right. Keep me posted."

Cadance let the communications crystal around her neck go dark. She surveyed the dragon, who was apparently still asleep. She sighed. Twilight may have sucker punched Princess Celestia and gotten away from Shining Armor, but she wouldn't be leaving without Spike. And Spike was right here. Whatever magic Twilight had used to teleport herself into the castle must have been her last reserves, and she wouldn't be able to get the chains off of Spike, let alone dispel the opiate magic. And she was here now, to protect him against his rescuer. The clopping noise of light hooves echoed off of the walls around her, and Cadance smiled.

Sure enough, Twilight Sparkle rounded a nearby corner, pausing when she saw the Alicorn. Her horn spat sparks, ready for trouble. She spoke, her voice low and dangerous. "One chance, Cadance. Step away from him and let us go. You don't want to test me right now."

Cadance let her innate magic flow through her, her horn sparking in kind. "Sorry, Twilight. Guards are on the way, and I'm not about to let either of you escape. It's better for all of us if you surrender and-"

She never got to finish the sentence, as dual bolts of magic sprang from Twilight's horn, one brilliant black and one searing purple-white. Cadance was slammed against the nearest wall, leaving an impression in inch thick. Twilight's magic shifted, and the crystal of the wall suddenly began to grow, first over her horn, and then her wings and torso. When she was done, Cadance was bound to the wall by several inches of incredibly hard crystal, completely covering her body save for her face, turned up towards the ceiling to avoid snapping off her horn. Desperately she tried to summon magic.

"I wouldn't." Twilight said, examining the chains around Spike. "If you try and channel through that, you're likely to refract it back in and blow a hole in your own head. It would be best to wait for Celestia to get down here and chip that off of you." She returned to the links, discovering a weak point in the metal, and setting a spell to eat away at them. While that was working, Twilight trotted over to the Princess. Realizing the value of building a reputation now, she steeled herself. Placing the tip of horn at Cadance's throat, she spoke.

"You know, Spike once told me that he would go through anything to protect me. I believe him. What I give him in return, though, is actually very little. Seeing as you appear to be responsible for hurting him, you get to be punished. Guess what, Cadance? Your life depends on the goodwill of a dragon. If he gives the word, I will gladly put my horn through the bottom of your chin and leave you down here to choke on your own blood in the dark."

There was a noise of Guards coming from one of the tunnels. Almost contemptuously, Twilight collapsed the mouth of the tunnel, sealing them off. She turned to Spike, who was now waking up.

"What's the verdict, Spike? Does she live or die?"

Cadance's heart raced as the tip of the horn traced a pattern across her jugular, in a gentle, almost loving fashion. She watched as he rose from the ground, his rage lending him bulk he had not had previously. Fire dripped from his jaw. One brilliant green eye caught her own as he grabbed hold of his wing.

"I'll have no more blood on my claws because of this, much as I would like to see her dead. Let her live."

Cadance felt a rush of relief. "Oh, thank you so much. Thank you, thank you, thank-"

Twilight cut her off. "Shut up. You get to live, but you don't escape punishment. And I know just the thing. You killed another friend of mine. So this is for her."

Cadance screamed as a searing pain spread across one cheek, the smell of burning hair and flesh filling the air. The unbearable heat stopped as quickly as it had started. She slumped, sobbing in pain as Twilight and Spike looked at her curiously.

"What do you think?" Twilight asked.

Spike nodded. "Nicely done. And very fitting." He walked over to a recently repaired hole in the roof of the caves, while Twilight sealed off the other exits. Punching through the rock, he dug himself out into the open air. Twilight walked over to the hole, and before she left, she called out to the Alicorn.

"Try all you like to make it go away! That's woven with Breaking magic. You'll not be getting rid of it until I say so. Anything you do, any way to hide that will only cause you the same pain. Remember that." And with that, she grabbed hold of Spike's claw, leaving Cadance alone and powerless in the caves beneath Canterlot.


________________________________________


Spike offered a claw to Twilight, lifting her off of the ground and onto his back. He began to run, aiming for a steep slope, ended by a wall and then a drop to the valley floor. As he ran, he felt Twilight fuse his bone back together, and he flared his wings, breathing fire at a pair of Guards, both Pegasi, who threw themselves off of the wall to avoid it. He ran straight at the wall.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Twilight asked. "Are you angry enough to grow that big?"

Spike smiled. "It's not anger that'll do it this time!"

They had almost reached the wall. "What is it, then?" Twilight called.

Spike vaulted the wall, and spread his wings. He spoke quietly. "Love."

His wings snapped wide, he pumped furiously, and Spike rose on a thermal, roaring his triumph to the city below.


________________________________________


The pair turned themselves to the forest, flying through the valley. Spike felt the mare on his back holding on tightly as he dove a bit. She laughed exuberantly as he pulled out of the drop, soaring through the mountains and following the river towards Ponyville and the forest. As he flew, Spike heard the flapping of feathered wings from behind, and the roar of wind. He craned his neck, ready to take on the Guards behind him, only to find a leather-clad Pegasus pulling a short knife out of the back of an armored pony. The Gale Dancers had caught up to them.

Twilight cheered as they sped through the sky, eight Gale Dancers and Tarantella fighting off both Guards and Air Corps members as they flew furiously to their destination, outclassing them at nearly every turn. Twilight watched as one got by Tarantella, who drew a weighted rope from her side and whipped it at his back hoof, watching as it coiled around his leg. The mercenary gave it a healthy yank, and the Pegasus' own momentum dislocated his wings, causing him to drop and forcing two of his comrades to dive for him. They rocketed towards the forest, Spike using the rough wind the Gale Dancers had provided to speed himself, while nine took on ninety and whipped them soundly.

They soared over Ponyville, and Twilight watched as the awestruck villagers gazed up at them. Spike's excellent vision picked out Barley Scotch and Honey Crisp in the market place below, and he smiled as the little filly waved at him. At last, they were over the forest, and Twilight watched as the pursuing Pegasi abandoned the chase, pulling up short at the edge as a bank of thunderheads moved towards them ominously. They flew on in joyful silence as the fields below were replaced by thick forest in every direction, the massive and wild woods creating a barrier miles thick. The wind died down as Spike glided over the river below, following it towards the castle.

Twilight saw ponies in dark armor below scramble for cover as they glided in, Spike settling heavily in the open courtyard as the Gale Dancers landed in ones and twos around them. Twilight searched for Tarantella. She spotted her, walking over to the windswept Pegasus as she pulled off her helmet. Spinning her around, Twilight grabbed her in both hooves, and drew her into a deep kiss, right there in the courtyard. The Pegasus stiffened slightly, but soon enough she relaxed, returning her kiss with passion as the mercenaries cheered and Spike grinned. After an eternity, Twilight pulled away. She spoke four words only. "I love you, Tarantella."

They turned to the keep before them. As a whole, it was mostly intact, and Twilight could see scaffolding and repair crews working on the top. A group of ponies waited for her eagerly near the doors, and Twilight looked at those around her. She was truly surrounded by friends. Maybe she stood a chance after all. They waited on her for instruction. Realizing that she was about to start a rebellion, she hesitated for a brief moment. Then she felt Tarantella at her side, and saw Spike waiting for her patiently, and the book Tarantella carried hung loosely over one of her shoulders, Golden Radiance still inside and waiting to be free. Any doubts she had vanished. She turned to the ponies around her.

"Come on. Let's go inside, we have a lot to do."

PreviousChapters Next