• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 18,325 Views, 1,334 Comments

Lines and Webs - Airstream



In a world of peace, there must be Order. No matter what the cost.

  • ...
54
 1,334
 18,325

PreviousChapters Next
Of Captains and Contests

If the previous days' events had been about pomp and circumstance, today's were about fierce competition and showmanship. Twilight and Morning Star were again seated in Celestia's box, as she was overseeing the day's main event, a perennial crowd favorite. The lucantur, or struggle, was a contest of arms, ranging from single combat to large teams of ponies to giant melees. The rules were simple, to drive your opponents from the center ring by any means available. The games were always non-lethal, and it was considered bad form to maim or permanently injure an opponent. Anypony who did so could expect official censure from Canterlotian society, and official reprimand if they were in the military. The last death in the games had been well over one hundred years ago, and the pony who had performed the act had exiled himself in shame.

It was this contest that Twilight and Morning Star attended in an official capacity. The early matches had been wildly variable, seemingly paired at random. Two of Twilight's friends, Applejack and Rainbow Dash, had entered in the amateur division. Rainbow Dash had lasted all of two minutes before she was bucked squarely in the chest by a young earth pony, flying through the air to impact solidly against the side of the arena. AJ, possessing patience that Rainbow had not, had barely edged out her opponent, a unicorn mare who had almost eliminated her several times. Applejack's natural tenacity had won through, and it was her Twilight and Morning Star were now watching.

"Come on, Applejack!" Twilight called, as the orange earth pony spun in an attempt to make contact with her Pegasus opponent. "Wait for him to come to you!" Her voice was lost in the wild shouting of a thousand other ponies, most of whom were cheering for Applejack's opponent, a grayish-black Air Corpsman who was unbelievably fast, but had no staying power.

Applejack reared, meeting her opponent head on. They rolled across the arena in a bundle of hooves, tails, and flying feathers. The Pegasus quickly disengaged from his opponent, taking the opportunity to crack her over the head with a back hoof before taking to the air again. Applejack staggered to one side, dazed. Struggling to regain her footing, she rolled to one side as the Pegasus hit the ground where just a split second ago she had been standing. Getting her hooves under her, AJ shook her head to clear it and waited for her adversary to approach. He did not disappoint, coming at her head on. Applejack waited for him, and then in one smooth motion, hit the dirt and watched as he passed over her. Her tail, still in its tight braid, whipped forward in the same kind of motion Twilight had seen a million times when Applejack was practicing ropework. The Pegasus found his forward momentum arrested, coming to a halt with a strangled noise as she wrapped it around his middle. Applejack spun her tail wildly, winding up for the big release, and then hurled her opponent right at the nearest wall. He hit with a thud, sliding down to the ground in a dazed heap, well outside of the line.

Twilight wanted to leap into the air, cheering her name wildly. As she was in the royal box, however, she restrained herself to applause and a huge smile directed at her friend. Applejack approached the stand, bowing low before Celestia, who inclined her head in return. Applejack picked up her Stetson from the ground, dusting it off lovingly, before putting it back on her head and leaving the arena. Twilight spotted Rainbow Dash waiting for her under one of the archways, congratulating her on her victory. As the gate closed, Twilight saw them place an amiable hoof around each other's shoulders, and walk back towards the waiting rooms.

The medics surrounding the Pegasus retreated to a safe distance, as he drew himself up, gave the crowd a weary salute, and hobbled off the field towards another gate. Twilight waited for the line in the sand to be redrawn, wondering which pairing would be seen next. Names wouldn't be displayed on the scoreboard until the next round, so Applejack was still enjoying a certain amount of anonymity.

Before the next match could be announced, however, a low horn blew, and every eye in the arena turned to the royal box. A curtain drew to one side, revealing the form of Princess Luna, who took a seat next to her sister, gesturing for the match to proceed. Celestia smiled widely, murmuring something to her sister, who quirked the corners of her mouth up slightly. The next two ponies, both Pegasi, proceeded into the arena. Bowing to each of the sisters, they took up position in the center ring. Twilight picked a favorite, a black Pegasus with a curling vine cutie mark. The signal was given to begin, and both Pegasi shot towards each other with fury in their eyes. They met in the middle with a crash, and flew apart just as quickly. They swooped and dove at each other, kicking wildly and buffeting each other with their wings. The black Pegasus fought with economy and restraint, seeking to maintain control of the conflict instead of delivering decisive blows. The younger Pegasus, a sky blue color, seemed to rely on his aggressive tactics to keep his opponent off guard, but he was tiring quickly in doing so. He launched himself at his opponent, hooves outstretched.

Twilight wasn't exactly sure of what happened next. The black Pegasus met his opponent in midair, twisting his body in a graceful arch. Using his opponent's momentum against him, the black Pegasus drove him into the ground, forcing his wings behind his back. The younger one screamed in pain, struggling to free himself. The black Pegasus leaned over, muttering something in his ear. The sky blue Pegasus went limp, realizing that he was defeated. The match was signaled ended. The older of the two offered a hoof up, which the younger one accepted. Pulling him up and dusting him off, the black combatant joined hooves with his opponent, raising them both into the air. He bowed to Celestia, and then Luna. Turning, he made eye contact with Twilight as well, before turning and proceeding back into the tunnel.

Celestia and Luna exchanged glances, and as Twilight watched, Luna beckoned her over. Twilight proceeded to the throne, kneeling briefly in respect. Luna spoke. "Twilight, knowest thou that champion?"

"No, Princess." Twilight replied, confusion in her voice. "I've never seen him before."

Celestia spoke next. "Well, you are currently the talk of the town, my faithful student. I expect that several ponies will be dedicating their fights to you today. It's the fashionable thing to do, or so I am told. If somepony gives you a token of favor or something similar, simply smile, accept it, and think nothing of it."

Luna nodded. "Some things never change, Twilight Sparkle. It is a way of...showing up?"

"Showing off, dear sister." Celestia corrected.

Luna waved a hoof dismissively. "Up, off, bah. Regardless, it is simply part of the pageantry. As the more experienced and well known fighters step forward, they will undoubtedly try to do something along those lines."

"Thank you, Princess." Twilight said, inclining her head. "I will be sure to remember that."

Celestia held up a hoof. "One more thing, Twilight. As you are the center of attention, you will have many of the performances, inventions, and such dedicated to you or Morning Star. You do not have to attend all of them, in fact I highly recommend you only choose ones you particularly like. When you do go places, however, it would be best if Morning Star was there as well. Simply put, you are both in the limelight, as a couple. Ponies will be demanding to see you together, or they will begin to make up excuses as to why you are not. I know it is a bit silly," she said, noticing the look on Twilight's face. "But such is the price of fame. It would be like me going out without my raiment on, it simply isn't done. Do you understand, Twilight?" she asked, a sympathetic look upon her face.

Twilight nodded her assent. "I do, Princess. Morning Star and I were planning on doing most things together anyway."

Princess Celestia smiled. "There you are, then. Now, return to your seat, I think you will like this one." she said, as her gaze returned to the arena.

Twilight bowed again and returned to her spot near Morning Star. "What was that about?" he asked, a curious expression on his face.

"Princess Celestia warned me that we're in the public eye now, so we should be expecting some strange behavior from other ponies." Twilight responded, shifting to a more comfortable position.

"I know what you mean." Morning Star said. "This morning, one of the female Archivists asked me for my hoofprint out of nowhere. Strangest thing to happen to me in Canterlot so far."

"Well, that's probably only the beginning." Twilight said. She watched as two teams of three ponies stepped into the ring, wearing either gold or black sashes around their middles. "Princess Celestia said something about tokens as well."

The six ponies approached, bowing in unison. Twilight recognized this setup. Each team had an Earth pony, a unicorn, and a Pegasus. They would be competing to see who could knock out the other side first. It was the first team match of the day, and was typically referred to as a tertius primus, or First Three. Soon after this match, the armed combat would begin, using dulled or magically blunted weapons. Twilight could sense the excitement building in the crowd, and she realized that the population in the stands had more than doubled. The signal was given to begin.

It was apparent from the start the the golden sashes were the more skilled team. The match was short, as the black team's unicorn was eliminated early, making the other two easy targets from afar. The match was over in minutes, and the golden team stood triumphant, having not lost a single member. They bowed to Celestia and Luna, exiting the arena. The scoreboard was illuminated, and the scorekeeper projected the next two names onto the board. There was a murmur of interest from the crowd. Two favorites, Thunderhead and Iron Oak, were slated for the next match. Their rivalry was legendary, and they had met numerous times before, almost always fighting to a draw. The only time they had not was during the Royal Wedding a few years back, when festive contests had been set up. Naturally, they had not completed the match, though each had accounted for quite a few changelings on their own.

The gates rumbled open, and each of the champions stepped into the arena. Iron Oak stepped forward, his signature shield slung over his back. It was large and rectangular, made to slowly advance on a foe and not retreat. The Earth pony was built like a house, cords of muscle that would have put Big Mac to shame rippling under his greying brown coat. He waved magnanimously at the crowd, taking in the roars of the males and the frenzied shrieking of the mares around him. He flexed good-naturedly, and proceeded to the stand, where he unslung his shield and waited.

He did not have to wait long. From the tunnel opposite his erupted a bright red Pegasus with a close-cropped mane, also fading to grey. He wore very light leather armor, and his features were chiseled and well defined. He flew around the arena, as another roar came from the crowd. Smiling, he landed next to his old foe, unslinging the hammer from his back. The two bowed to the Princesses. Both nodded their heads, acknowledging the respects they were paid. Iron Oak proceeded to the center ring, waiting for his opponent. Thunderhead left his hammer behind, flying up to the Royal Box. Hovering in front of Twilight, he produced a white lily, seemingly from thin air. He offered it to her, and she reached out to take it. Taking her hoof in his, he bowed low, brushing his lips ever so slightly against the back of her hoof. He released it, turning and bowing to Morning Star as well. Morning Star returned the bow, and Thunderhead proceeded back to his weapon, taking position in the center of the field.

Morning Star raised an eyebrow at her. "Oh, hush." Twilight said, blushing a bit.

The signal was given, and the match began.


________________________________________


The match that followed was regarded as one of the best showings that had been seen from those two in recent memory. Thunderhead was the unstoppable force to Iron Oak's immovable object. Neither could claim any sort of lasting advantage, and so the duel raged on unabated in ferocity or cunning. The sound of hammer on shield rang out time and again throughout the arena, rising over the cheers of the crowd. One blow from that hammer briefly brought Iron Oak to his knees, huddled under his shield. But he soon recovered, and planted a hoof squarely under the jaw of Thunderhead for the insult. At last, after a good half hour of fighting, Celestia rose from her seat, and signaled an end to the contest. She declared it a tie, stating that "These two warriors are truly masters of their art, and are still evenly matched, after many years of contest. Let it be known that there is no defeat here today!" The crowd cheered again, and the two rivals met in the center sans armament, shaking hooves. Iron Oak said something, and Thunderhead laughed. Both proceeded out of the same gate, hooves on shoulders.

The matches continued on into the afternoon, and the contestants became fewer and fewer. Applejack and her rope had lost against a unicorn who brought her down with a lucky shot. After he had claimed his victory, he shook her hoof, and departed from the arena. Applejack joined Rainbow Dash in the stands right below Twilight, cheering on her favorites, and nursing a sore rib.

Finally, the competition was complete. Twilight had received several flowers, an ornamental dagger, and a bundle of feathers over the course of the day. Morning Star had fared similarly, receiving antique coins in several denominations, a feather from a female Pegasus's wing, and a kiss on the cheek from that same Pegasus. The crowd rose from their seats, but settled back down when Princess Luna stepped forward to speak. Her voice rang out over the stadium, one of the few times her "Royal Canterlot Voice" could be considered appropriate.

"Fellow Equestrians!" she shouted, her mane flowing in the late afternoon breeze. "We have selected the people's champion, earned through valor of arms and strength of will. Indeed, there have been many fine contests today, but there is still one to come. My sister and I have chosen our own champions, here to show their skill in arms and their true mettle as soldiers." The doors for both sides rattled open. "I present to you my sister's champion! Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor!" Twilight watched in awe as her brother stepped through the door, in full combat armor, gleaming bronze in the light of the setting sun. Luna gestured to the door. "And may I present to you my champion, Captain of the Lunar Guard, Silent Shield!" From the other door stepped the one-eyed Lunar Captain with the unusually intense gaze. He met Shining Armor in the middle of the field. They shook hooves, although it looked like they were attempting to crush each other in their grip. Breaking contact, they strode in perfect step up to the stand, kneeling before their monarchs.

Celestia and Luna both nodded. The two marched into the center ring, locking eyes and not looking away. Celestia spoke. "Both of these unicorns are powerful magic users. For the safety of our subjects, we are sealing this arena with magic. No spell shall pass beyond its boundaries, and the contestants are limited to nonlethal spells. Once the arena is sealed, you may begin. Champions! Good luck!" she called, and sealed the two inside a translucent barrier of magic.

A bolt of force leapt from the Lunar captain's horn, Shining Armor barely catching it on his shield. It ricocheted off of the bubble, blowing a blackened, smoking hole in the ground. Shining Armor retaliated, sending a beam of purple light at his foe that impacted squarely in the chest. The Lunar captain swayed on his feet, taking the brunt of the blast, before closing the distance between them. Shining Armor's eyes widened as the stallion pivoted smartly, bucking him full force in the chest. Shining Armor slid to a halt just before crossing the line.

Staggering to his hooves, he ripped up a piece of the floor with his magic, hurling it at the Lunar captain, who rolled out of the way and loosed another bolt at Twilight's brother. This bolt was barely deflected, and would have gone into the crowd if not for Celestia's shield. Shining Armor fired his horn rapidly, sending a steady stream of magic at his foe from all different directions. The Lunar captain moved with astonishing grace, weaving through the barrage, using a shield only when he had to. Finally, Shining Armor landed a hit. Silent Shield's hooves flew out from under him, and Shining Armor bathed the area he had fallen in with magic, obscuring his form beneath beams of light.

The arena filled with smoke and dust as the crowd craned forward to see who was triumphant. Shining Armor cautiously approached the huddled Lunar captain, who appeared to be unconscious. He bent his head over, poking the fallen unicorn with his horn to see if he responded. Much to his surprise, his horn phased right through the captain, burying itself in the ground. Shining Armor wheeled around just as the illusion faded from the ground, and Silent Shield dropped his invisibility spell. He found himself face to face with the captain of the Lunar Guard, who smiled as a spark jumped from his horn to Shining Armor's, causing his eyes to roll back in his head. Twilight's brother collapsed onto the ground, clearly knocked out. The match was over.

The crowd erupted in cheers, groans, and jeers. Luna smiled to herself, stepping forward to address the crowd. "I present to you your Royal Champion, Silent Shield! Bravely fought, and cleverly won!" The Lunar captain stepped forward, kneeling before his Princess, as Shining Armor was removed from the field. "As reward for your valor, you may ask anything of my sister and I. Name your desire, and it shall be granted." Luna intoned. The stallion thought for a moment, his eye sweeping the stands. Twilight was suddenly filled with a feeling of dread. His gaze locked onto her, and he narrowed his eye. Baring his teeth, he made his request, his voice low and gravelly.

He pointed a hoof at Twilight. "I wish to fight her." he said.


________________________________________


Rainbow Dash would later describe the crowd as having "gone ballistic". Luna's face was impassive, turning to look at Twilight, and then her sister, who wore a look of horror on her countenance. She gestured helplessly. It was within their power, and he was quite within his rights to ask. Celestia spoke. "We cannot in good conscience provide this boon to you without the consent of Twilight Sparkle herself."

Princess Luna raised an eyebrow, silently asking Twilight what she thought. Twilight thought about it. There was no way she would be able to fight at full power, though she was extremely well rested. If she was smart, she might be able to come away with a victory, but she was not sure of her chances. Luna spoke. "Twilight Sparkle. Do you accept this stallion's challenge?"

Twilight nodded her head slowly. "Yes, Princess. I do." She focused her magic, teleporting to the arena floor, where she bent her legs in a bow as she had seen the previous contestants do. Luna and Celestia looked on as she turned to size up her opponent. She realized that she was in trouble. He was in armor, well trained, and undoubtedly more experienced at combat magic than she. As they proceeded to the center of the arena, Twilight's mental processes kicked into high gear.

She would be quicker than him, and more maneuverable. He was effectively blind on one side, which she could possibly exploit. The armor would provide him with protection, but he would be slower as a result. Her knowledge of spells probably outclassed his, so as long as she could stop him from closing and keep him too busy to set up his illusion, she should be able to hit him with something. Twilight set her hooves, ready to go. Princess Luna's lesson flashed through her head. She had to be fast, keep him on his toes, and hit him where he least expected it.

"Contestants!" Luna called, a quaver in her voice. "Prepare yourselves!" The crowd began to cheer, as Princess Celestia rose from her seat. Her horn glowed, and the shield began to form. Twilight saw the world in slow motion. As the shield sealed itself, she began to move, casting two separate bolts of magic from her horn, one to each side. The shield sealed, and suddenly all crowd noise was cut off. Twilight watched as he tried to follow her dash towards his blind side, but was brought up short by one of the bolts she had cast. He fired one in return, and Twilight watched as it curved, actively seeking her out. She brought up a wall of dirt, the bolt impacting on the side. Twilight was along his blind flank now, and she lit up her horn as he pivoted to follow her, obviously well used to ponies trying that maneuver on him.

Which is why he was surprised when Twilight blinked into existence right behind him, having teleported while he was distracted. She called forth more earth, catching one of his hooves in a viselike grip. The bolt he sent to meet her went wide, and Twilight teleported in front of him once more. He was in the act of turning, leading with his good eye. She was, therefore, on his blind side again.

She let loose with a large, crackling bolt of energy that hit him squarely in the ribs. He was blown off of his feet, skidding for some distance. Twilight took the opportunity to cloak herself and cast his illusion spell. She watched as the simulacra of herself walked forward cautiously. The captain staggered to his feet, and Twilight noticed a slight shimmer as he brought up his illusion. His cloak was extremely good, eliminating hoofprints and muffling sound.

Twilight stood absolutely still. Focusing, she heard a slight clatter from behind her. With an effort of will, she levitated herself off of the ground, sacrificing speed for stealth. She had her double fall back, fending off a sudden outpouring of magic from his illusion. She watched her doppelgänger collapse, and the illusion of the Captain vanished. Twilight exerted a bit more magic, channeling it into one corner of the arena. The captain appeared from behind his veil, attempting to deliver his finishing blow.

Twilight dispelled her own just as his horn passed through her head. The purple unicorn appeared from behind a veil of her own, sending a bolt of magic into the captain, who collapsed in a heap. The young mare trotted towards him triumphantly, stopping only to look at the crowd. She raised one hoof above her head in a gesture simultaneously exultant and tired. The cheers and smiles on ponies faces, though, died, as the captain of the Lunar Guard dispelled his illusionary form, coming in from behind a second veil and knocking her unconscious with a well-placed blow to the back of the head. Twilight crumpled in a heap. "It is not wise to assume there is only one trick." he said, setting his hoof firmly on top of her. The coat of the purple mare crumbled slightly, and the Captain looked down, puzzled. Twilight appeared from behind, dispelling the glamour on her clay doll replica and knocking him unconscious with a bolt of magic from her horn. She poked him, making sure he was real. He was. "It is not wise to assume that you are the only one playing tricks." she said, and bowed before the crowd.

The bubble disappeared, and the crowd noise came rushing back. The stadium shook, as ponies stamped their hooves, cheering and whistling and jumping in approval. Twilight caught sight of her friends in the stands. Rarity and Fluttershy had been present as well, and they were cheering just as loud, if not louder than the ponies in the stands. Morning Star caught her eye, giving an ear-piercing wolf whistle with both hooves. Celestia was beaming, and even Luna looked rather pleased. Twilight trotted forward, and knelt before the stand in respect. Somepony began summoning roses. More and more unicorns joined in, and soon the blossoms littered the floor of the arena. Twilight took one up, waving at the crowd, one last time, with feeling.

PreviousChapters Next