• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 18,224 Views, 1,334 Comments

Lines and Webs - Airstream



In a world of peace, there must be Order. No matter what the cost.

  • ...
54
 1,334
 18,224

PreviousChapters Next
Of Searches and Spymasters

The supply train to Fillydelphia was right on time, as per usual. Seventy eight cars, each containing supplies and fine goods for trade in the city's market as well as mail, tools, and all the other bits and sundries a city needed to survive. Normally, the train would proceed to the loading docks at the end of its track, where it would be unloaded, filled with raw materials and other goods, and sent back to Canterlot and points unknown. However, this train in particular was treated quite differently. As it coasted to a stop by the loading docks, werelights filled the air, Pegasi swooped in from concealed positions, and over two hundred Regular soldiers surrounded the train, with more covering them from behind. Carefully, each train car was opened, checking for the wanted and dangerous fugitive, Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville. Two teams swept the cars, working their way towards the center. Door after door was slid open, and unicorn soldiers poured in, horns flashing dangerously as they looked for a mare, a dragon, and a dangerous magical construct.

The Captain of the Garrison, an Earth pony by the name of Bronze Buckler, watched from a distance. Normally, he would have preferred that. He was getting old, and soon he would be retiring on a full pension after forty years of service. However, today he wished he was among his soldiers, searching for a supposedly mad spellcaster. The reasons for this were standing on either side of him. Not two hours earlier, they had thundered into town faster than he had seen anything move in his life, in a full gallop without any hint of exertion or exhaustion on their faces. Instinctively, he had bowed before the five mares standing before him, the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony. He had been warned of the incoming train, and told that he was being charged with the safe capture or exposure of Twilight Sparkle. They were, of course, at his disposal. Which meant that they would not be leaving his side until Celestia's pupil was brought to heel, captured and dragged back to Canterlot. Bronze Buckler felt a headache growing behind his eyes. It was going to be a long night, he could tell. There was a brief commotion from the middle of the train. His ears pricked forward, and he felt the Elements lean towards the train as if they could feel something was wrong. A single unicorn wearing Lieutenant's chits cantered forward, stopping and coming to attention to salute the Captain.

"Nothing in the train, sir!" he reported, as the ponies behind him started to search the cars once more. "Found some minor magical residue on the inside of boxcar number thirty eight, but that's all we got."

Bronze Buckler groaned internally. Steeling himself, he turned to address the Elements behind him. "My apologies, Ladies. It would appear Twilight Sparkle ditched the car somewhere along the line. That residue was probably from her construct. Should I be ordering a sweep of the countryside?"

The five mares stood unnaturally still. The white one, the unicorn, shook herself, the gemstone in her neck shining brightly for a moment. "Yes. I agree, of course. Yes, Your Highness. Right. I shall do so immediately. Thank you, Highness." She turned to the Captain, her attention focused intently on him. Without prompting, the two Pegasi behind her shot into the air, a contrail of dust in their wake. The earth ponies approached the unicorn, flanking her. "Captain, your soldiers are to man the gates. Check each entrant thoroughly for spells of illusion, especially those with something large such as a wagon or similar. My fellow Bearers and I will need to examine that car. Have any Air Corpsmen under your command out sweeping the nearby fields as well. These orders must be carried out quickly. Am I clear?"

Bronze Buckler stared at this marble statue come to life, sapphire eyes blazing with power. He composed himself, and snapped a salute. "It shall be done. A moment for me to clear my stallions from the tracks."

"Of course. We shall wait."

He wheeled about, facing the crowd of confused Regulars. "Clear the tracks! Report back to your command posts, prepare for extra patrols! Let the Bearers through!" His orders were quickly relayed, sergeants bawling at the ponies under their command to move with urgency, as the soldiers quickly retreated towards their command buildings, leaving the train behind. Bronze Buckler turned to the unicorn, awaiting further orders.

"You may depart, Captain. Tend to your stallions, they are no longer needed here." the mare murmured, stepping forward and past the old soldier. The Earth ponies followed silently, and the Captain watched for only a brief moment before his nerves finally failed him and he fled the trainyard.


________________________________________


The Bearer of Generosity ran her horn over the inside of the car, noting certain parts of it seemed to gleam as if reflecting the light, while others remained dark. The unicorn nodded. "She was here. Powerful magic, likely from one of the books, but it feels like Twilight is definitely the one who performed the spell. Are you getting anything?"

The Bearer of Honesty ran a critical eye over the interior, and grunted. Something was there, all right. "Twilight did something to Spike. I got three sets of hooves, and one set of claw marks. She didn't just hide the drake, she transformed him. We're looking for a group of three ponies. What about you?" she asked, turning to the almost sanguine mare behind her.

"It's not much, but I think I can feel something. I'm getting the feeling that Twilight would have waited until she was in sight of the city before jumping out. Odds are good that if she's arriving, it's through a gate near the tracks inside. Probably about a mile back, I think I can see a bend in the tracks where the train would have slowed down."

High above the city, the two Pegasi, one the deep blue of bottomless water and one the gold of a dying sun's fury wheeled towards a nearby gate. Silently they spiraled down, looking for a set of three ponies, at least one of them a unicorn. Spotting one such group, they turned towards one another, coming to an agreement before tucking their wings, shooting down quickly to intercept them.

Landing at the same time, with a loud *thud*, the two Pegasi flared their wings. The Bearer of Kindness stepped forward, clearing her throat. A voice sweeter than honey spoke to the startled looking group, as each of them found themselves drawn to her strangely beautiful eyes. "Pardon me, but we're on the lookout for a group of three ponies. They are extremely dangerous, and were said to be headed this way. You wouldn't happen to know if anything suspicious has been occurring in the area, would you? Maybe by the railroad a little way back?"

The leader, a buttercup yellow Earth pony mare, stepped forward, seemingly a bit off balance. "No, ma'am." she said, her voice heavy. "We're just in town to pick up some medicine for Pa, back home at the farm. We've been walking all day, and we haven't seen a thing."

The hawk eyes of the cobalt Pegasus analyzed everything about this apparently normal farmpony. As far as she could tell, she was telling the truth. Honesty and Laughter concurred.

The Bearer of Kindness pushed a bit harder, not wanting to risk damaging innocent ponies. "Well, if you're absolutely sure, we'll let you go. Be sure to let one of the soldiers in town know if you see anything. There is a reward out for the safe capture of these ponies, so be vigilant! Have a good evening." And with that, she and the Bearer of Loyalty took to the skies once more.

Bewildered, the three ponies below continued, as the two Pegasi circled high above the gates, looking for every group of three that passed through. The Air Corps began to take off from their high perches, flights of Pegasi streaking out into the rapidly gathering twilight to search for the mad student.


________________________________________


A delicate pink unicorn bent and whispered to her friend, a dirt-covered yellow Earth mare. "That was too close! Thank goodness we were already inside the gates, or else they might have found us!"

The Earth mare replied, her voice halting and jerky, as if she was merely borrowing an ill-fitting one. "Did you see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash? What happened to them? They looked like...like..."

"Bearers." a voice whispered from a suspiciously empty space behind them. "They look less like ponies and more like the powerful beings that the Elements make them. We must avoid them at all costs, I am certain."

"No kidding." the pink mare replied. "I made these illusions to fool gate guards and maybe a few more powerful spellcasters. Not Applejack with enhanced vision. We've got to make it to the college."

"Easier said than done. We don't exactly look like scholars, and one of us is made of paper."

"I do not resemble paper! Well, maybe a little. But that is why I have the veil, to avoid that kind of thing. And Fillydelphia is a big city, surely we will not be running into the Elements while we are here."

The unicorn snorted. "You just had to say that, didn't you?"

The yellow pony shook her head sadly. "Unbelievable. Are you really going test our luck like that?"

There was silence from behind them. And then-"Oh, dear. That's not good." Twilight felt a tap on her flank, and she turned her head slightly in the direction of the feeling. Her eyes widened. Golden Radiance continued. "Is that the Captain of the Royal Guard? I do believe it is."

Spike fought to remain calm as he turned his head towards the entry of a nearby airship tower, looking at the ponies at its base. "Oh, come on. That's just not fair." he said, as a very familiar pink figure stepped out of the door, returning a bow from a Regular officer, and furling her wings so as to avoid catching them on the doorframe. Princess Mi Amore di Cadenza conversed with her husband, her normally cheerful visage stony and serious. A dozen Royal Guards took to the air with her, as she began to search the city streets for a certain now-pink unicorn.

Twilight turned and continued walking. "Come on. We're getting to an inn near the College, we're speaking to the Professor, and then tomorrow afternoon we are leaving. And for the love of all that is holy, don't do anything to draw attention to yourselves. Please."

The three companions wound through the crowded, poorly cobbled streets, gazing at the hastily constructed houses around them, a testament to the fast-growing city. As they made their way towards the center, hasty patchwork wood houses gave way to simple stone homes, and some more elaborate stone offices and shops. Despite the danger, Twilight was able to find time to appreciate the ramshackle beauty of the city, from the sunset glinting off of the water and tall bronze airship towers to the breathtakingly high mountains that rose to the north of the city itself. As they walked, following the helpful hoof-painted signs that indicated the direction of the College, the trio were engulfed in a swirling sea of life, noisy and chaotic, each individual with their own hopes and dreams and fears and ideas, all colliding and breaking apart in a heaving mass of beautiful anarchy.

Twilight was alternately cajoled and cursed, as foals scampered underhoof on some terribly important mission of youth and vendors hawked wares on the side of the street, competing for bits with musicians and performers all vying for attention. She spotted a hulking Minotaur moving through the crowd near the center of town, and further on she spotted a pair of scaly Quilin, chattering amiably in their soft, chime-like language, a day's worth of business done. A fight broke out in front of a nearby tavern while a pair of young Pegasi kissed passionately above the crowd, wings flapping furiously as they drifted above the heads of those below. Twilight had never seen anything like this city. Canterlot was big, yes, but it was also stately, a city of power and grace and gravity. Fillydelphia was alive in a way Canterlot had never been, rowdy and dirty and screaming for the sheer joy of life. Amazed, the unicorn nearly tumbled into the side of a black Pegasus with a wine decanter Cutie Mark, who focused on her, a smile spreading across his face.

"Welcome to Filly! You must be new here, I can tell. If you're not headed anywhere in particular, can I offer you a room and a meal? It's getting late, you know!"

Twilight backed up. "Oh, sorry. We're actually looking for lodging a bit closer to the College. But thank you for the offer!"

The Pegasus grimaced. "The College? It's not very safe over there right now, especially this late. I can offer you a much more secure room, for you and your friend, for practically nothing!"

The pink unicorn smiled. "Thank you, but no. We should be fine."

She recoiled a bit as he pressed in close. "I guarantee, Ms. Sparkle, you will find no safer place in Fillydelphia right now. Especially since three Elements and your brother are meeting near the gates of the College as we speak. I can offer you a place to hide, but we need to hurry. You did not heed my warnings back in Canterlot and were almost captured for Celestia as a result. I implore you, heed my words this time, and follow me. Your dragon and construct can come too, but we must go, now."

Twilight's heart sped up. Tensing, she spoke. "How did you find me? Who sent you?"

"I was told to look for certain signs, by the one who sent me. She is a friend, you can be assured of that. More I cannot say. Come." The Pegasus said, and Twilight followed close behind, as Spike and Golden Radiance struggled to keep up.


________________________________________


Highness, we have her. She is here.

Excellent. Give her as much aid as you can, and send her to the Cradle. I will meet her there three nights hence, and explain all.

Ego Servire Noctis, Highness.


________________________________________


The black Pegasus led the trio to a rundown looking inn, whose sign proclaimed it to be "The Golden Gamma", an old sign swaying in the breeze displaying a faded golden character that Twilight presumed was the "Gamma". The common room was largely deserted save for a pair of unicorns playing cards by the light of a cheery fire, both of whom looked up as she entered the room. Turning their backs warily, they returned to their game after the Pegasus gave them a brief nod.

They proceeded to the back of the bar, where the Pegasus pulled aside a rug revealing a trapdoor large enough for Spike to fit through if necessary. Twilight wondered who it would have been built for. Nopony she could think of would need a door that large, even Big Macintosh. She watched as the coal black Pegasus knocked twice on the floor, then once, then three times. Stepping smartly aside as the floor began to retract, he looked at the trio, the now-visible Golden Radiance staring at the door and ready for trouble. The floor had disappeared, leaving only a staircase ahead of them. He gestured. "Ladies first, Ms. Sparkle."

Twilight shook her head. "No. You go first."

He chuckled. "Well, I see you've finally started to learn that you can't trust everypony. Good to know at least some of my work wasn't wasted." He grabbed a magelight from behind the bar, lighting it and proceeding down the stairs. "Come along, then!" he called, and the three ponies proceeded downstairs, not looking back as the floor once more slid into place, hiding the tunnel once more.

The stairs were short, taking them down perhaps two stories or less. As they reached the bottom, the Pegasus tipped an imaginary hat to a unicorn manning what appeared to be a set of controls. "Evening, Smoky."

The unicorn replied in a thick Trottingham accent. "'Ello, Sooty. Finally got some luck, eh? Mirror's in tip top shape, we're live in three."

"Excellent. Keep a sharp eye, I don't think we were followed, but you can't tell in this town."

"Right-o, mate. I'll watch like a hawk, I will." the grey unicorn replied, bending to his controls once more, focusing on a glass sphere.

The group turned down a side tunnel, proceeding down a dimly lit hallway towards a door marked with a crescent moon. Pausing before the door, the Pegasus turned to the trio. "I'd appreciate it if you'd dismiss the transformation spell before you went inside, as well as the illusions. It will help her verify that you are indeed who you say you are. And keep in mind that we all have your best interests and continued freedom at heart. Please don't overreact, alright? Now, go ahead in. Your meeting will likely be short, so I'll see you in a few minutes." And with that, he opened the door.

Twilight, Spike, and Golden Radiance stepped inside as the Pegasus closed the door behind them. One wall was dominated by a large mirror, but other than that there was nothing of real importance in the small space. Twilight heard the sound of rapidly moving air as Spike dispelled his transformation, returning to his true draconic self. Twilight allowed the pink in her coat to fade, as well as changing the light blue mane she had been sporting back into her normal shade of streaked black. Thus prepared, she turned to face the mirror.

Twilight was unfamiliar with this magic, and so she approached the polished surface cautiously. The light in the room was provided only by a single torch, and so the wall behind her danced and leapt with the feverish shadows that accompany firelight. Twilight peered closely into the background. There was Spike, and Golden Radiance, and her...and somepony else. Twilight's heart flew into her mouth at the sight of an Alicorn's shadow, and she only barely managed to stifle a scream. Princess Luna stood before her, her expression unreadable. Blinking, she caught sight of the mare's pale face, and held up a hoof in supplication.

"Fear not, Twilight Sparkle. I am not here on behalf of my sister. Indeed, it is thanks to me that you remain free as of yet. I cannot speak long, else I risk discovery. Know that I am constrained in my knowledge, that is, I know what is planned for you, but I am forbidden to reveal the knowledge to anypony. Should I attempt it, Celestia will know, and it will go badly for us all. What I can do, however, is work through others." The Alicorn held up a letter. "This was your informant's response to you. Luckily, it was intercepted by one of my able servants, as opposed to ending up in the hooves of Celestia herself. I can tell you this, that the Professor will indeed know of the family you wish to track, about their history and their fate. I have faith in you, Twilight Sparkle. Leave the city tomorrow evening, and proceed to the place he shall indicate to you. You have so many of the puzzle's pieces, you are only a few steps away from the truth. Once you are there, all will be made clear to you, and then we shall speak freely. I expect you there three nights hence, in the old courtyard."

The Alicorn began to turn, preparing to leave, but faced her once more. "I had almost forgotten, Twilight Sparkle. In case you feel that you are without allies, know this. You have more and in far more unlikely places than you could imagine." Her horn shimmered with indigo light. "Remember, Twilight? That night in the garden?"

Twilight's eyes rolled up as she collapsed, her memories of the night in the Royal Garden, the masks and unicorns and amulets all violently re-asserting themselves inside her mind. Spike and Golden Radiance rushed forward, seeing her slump forward.

"Good luck, Twilight. Your race is almost run, and you shall know the truth soon enough. Farewell." And with that, the dark Alicorn vanished.


________________________________________


"We've had you under surveillance since you returned from the Everfree." the black Pegasus said, as he set down a loaf of bread and some cheese on one of the unoccupied tables in the common room, pouring them each a glass of cheap wine. "Trust me, you haven't made it easy for us. We lost track of you after you entered the Whitetail, and again right after you ditched the train. We thought you might have been caught, but damn me if you haven't proven to be a slippery target."

Twilight nursed the drink, wincing at her headache. "I'm sorry, but I've never caught your name. Spike and I have both seen you several times, and each time you seem a bit different."

The Pegasus smacked himself on the forehead. "Of course! My apologies. You can call me Grapevine. I'm one of the Order's premier intelligence officers."

"A spy." Spike said bluntly, stretching his wings.

Grapevine grimaced. "Yes. A spy. My special talent turned out to be changing my Cutie Mark, so long as it was wine-related. Of course, that's not why I got the name Grapevine, though my family does make wine up north of Canterlot. I acquired the nickname in school, as I seemed to have a knack for hearing things I shouldn't and disappearing when I was being looked for. Made me dead useful, and I ended up in the employ of a minor House after school, though when the Princess returned I offered my services. And a better employer I could not ask for."

Golden Radiance examined the wine in her glass. "So, what is the next course of action for us?"

"I'm to take you to the Professor tomorrow, and then see you out of the city safely. After that, we plan on causing a little mayhem to keep all the nasties after you tied up for a while, give you a head start. Nothing lethal, just messy." the Pegasus said, popping a slice of cheese into his mouth.

"Who is 'us'?" Twilight asked, as she placed a wedge of cheese in between two pieces of bread.

"Good question. We are called The Order of the Crescent Moon. From what I know, it's been around for a while, has lots of important ponies in important places as members, and is completely devoted to Princess Luna. We're in every city, even Canterlot, all across Equestria, and a few places not in Equestria. Ashtar Sharestan comes to mind. You have a very powerful benefactor, Twilight Sparkle. Not many enjoy the personal protection of the Princess of the Night herself. And if she placed you under geasa, that means all of her resources and servants are at your disposal. She has effectively made you part of her family, Twilight Sparkle. It's an honor and obligation few have the opportunity to grasp." Grapevine checked the clock on the wall. "It's getting late. I'll take you back downstairs, we have rooms down there you can use, safe from discovery. We'll let the Guard and Regulars wear themselves out looking for you, and then back on with the disguises and out of the city you go. We might even find you transportation."

The trio followed their host back down the corridor, into their own rooms. Twilight Sparkle fell asleep that night far from home, in a strange city, with half of the might of Equestria searching for her in the streets above. Yet, as she slipped into quiescence, the unicorn couldn't help but feel as if she was protected.

PreviousChapters Next