• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 894 Views, 44 Comments

The Number 22 - Blazing Shadows



Twilight gets a book for her birthday that seems to know her past....and predict a horrible future.

  • ...
7
 44
 894

Chapter 7

Author's Note: If I've scared anybody (like I did on another site), then I'm sorry. But, you'd better get used to it....for the horror is only just beginning....

Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or The Number 23, the cool movie this story is based on.

THE NUMBER 22

Chapter 7

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222


February 5

What Officer Bookworm told Hoofling about the psychic intrigued me throughout the night. If the psychic had a daughter, along with the book being right about all the important details, then.....that could mean that Zecora has a daughter who can help me!....But, Zecora never mentioned a child. I had to find out for sure. However, on the way out, I ran into Mrs. Cake, the person whom I least wanted to see at the moment.

"Mrs. Cake! Wha-What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to give you your schedule."

"Schedule?"

"Yes,...for your post office duty...Remember?"

"....Oh, yeah!! The post office duty!"

My post office duty was the last thing on my mind. My main priority was looking into the possible offspring of Zecora......Speaking of which, just like in the book, she will be recieving a cheap funeral today. And, also like the book, I will not be attending. The guilt would be too much.

"Thank you, Mrs. Cake. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere to be."

That thank-you was about as fake as the smile the old mare gave me as she left. I didn't care, though. I had work to do...Real work. When I arrived at the police station, I was greeted by Officer Lawforce. Unlike Officer Bookworm, he wasn't elderly and he wasn't much of a reader, nor did he ever own a bookstore. He was tall and muscular, sporting a brown mustache and blue eyes. He was a lot like the "perfect stallion" every filly always talked about, except he looked like he had passed that point by ten years.

"Hello there, Twilight. I'm sorry to hear about Zecora. I know she was a friend of yours."

"Yeah....She was something, wasn't she?"

"I wonder what happened to her? The doctors couldn't find a cause of death."

"I....I guess it was just her time."

"Well, anyways, what can I do ya for?"

"I was wondering if you could tell me if Zecora had any children."

"Oh, why yes, I believe she had one. Here's her file just in case I'm wrong."

He handed me her file, which turned out to be very small. It turns out that Officer Lawforce was right....and so was the book. She had a daughter named Lori who was indeed the town's local psychiatrist. After showing the officer, he was as amazed as I was.

"Well, bust my badge! The connection between the town psychiatrist and the town witch has-"

"I know.....Never been identified by anyone."

"Yeah....Wait, how'd you know that?..."

But, before he finished, I was out the door. I intended to visit Lori and get to the bottom of this. After a while of walking, I finally made it to her office. It was completely white inside, with only a few plants and pictures to keep anypony from going insane.

"Um, I don't have an appointment, but....."

"Are you Twilight Sparkle?"

".....Um, yes? How did you know my name?"

"The Doc's been telling us you would come by this morning."

So, she had powers just like her mom....She must make an excellent psychiatrist! The receptionist led me down a white hallway into a room at the end. Unlike everything else, this room was painted muddy brown. A couch was laid against the wall. In front of it stood a desk with a chair behind it....a chair that had its back turned. A voice came from behind the chair.

"Sit, please."

I did as told. I had a feeling the voice came from Lori. I mean, the name on the desk was "Dr. Lori Shriner." The chair turned around to reveal a brown colored mare, appearing to be in her 30's. Her mane was in the same fashion as Zecora's, but, other than that, nothing else resembled the late zebra. In fact, she was wearing a white coat, glasses, and, for some odd reason, white gloves.

"I have sensed you were coming, but, unlike Mom could, I have not been able to sense why you were coming."

"Did you go to your mother's funeral?"

"Why does my personal life suddenly matter to you?! I mean, you can't just walk in here and-"

"You didn't go."

"...How did you know that?"

"The book told me."

I spent the next few minutes explaining my situation to her....my entire problem. After we finished, she stared at the wall, her hooves together, for a long while. Finally, I broke the silence.

"You don't look like your mother."

At first, I thought I had gone too personal, but, surprisingly, she just smiled weakly at me. She then got up, went over to the water cooler, filled a cup, and came back. I expected her to drink it or offer it to me, but, instead, she poured it on herself. Her brown color washed down her body, leaving black and white stripes.

"So, you're a zebra, too!"

"Yes. Even though my father was a pony, I still inherited my mom's genes. As I grew out of childhood, I decided I didn't want to be a town outcast like Mom. So, I painted over my body, went off to college, and graduated as a psychiatrist. Now that I think about it, I don't think Mom was upset with me....just surprised."

I thought she was finished, but she started speaking again before I could start.

"But, I have done some things in my past I could have avoided."

She pulled off her gloves to reveal two normal-looking hooves,....but two badly-cut wrists.

"My past thoughts about Mom began to haunt me....So, I began cutting myself. I've learned to move on with my life and accept it....But, these are permanent scars....permanent reminders of the past."

".....I'm so sorry. I never knew about how hard life could be until recentley.....when the curse began."

"Speaking of which, I think we need to get back to that subject. The number 22 is actually quite common."

"It is?"

"Yes. Princess Celestia is 22,223 years old, becoming Princess along with Luna, who is 22,222, on February 2, 19,988 B.C."

"But what about the year?"

"If you add 9 and two 8's to 19, you get 44. That divided by 2 is..."

"22..."

" Also, Ponyville is approximately 22.22 square miles. Canterlot is 66.66, a dividend of 22. Shall I go on?"

"No, I'm starting to get the message."

"And as for this book, I think you should do what your instincts,....and apparently the book as well, have been telling you to do all along: Finish the book and go from there."

"But, what about the curse?"

"If the curse wanted you to read on, it wouldn't put you in a deadly situation."

"But, what about my friends? I put their lives in danger being around them!"

"Which is why you should limit your visits with them. If this curse thinks they've gotten too close to you, it will try to eliminate them."

"Believe me, it's already tried that before."

"If you do not need to actually visit with them, though, just give them a call or write them a letter. But, make sure you explain your situation to them or they'll think you're crazy!"

I decided that, since my friends didn't believe me the first time I tried to tell them, I would have to simply get out of town. I left a note for everypony to find.

Dear Residents of Ponyville,

I have been going through some bad stress lately. The local psychiatrist has recommended I take a break from the stress by taking a vacation. If you have any questions, please call Dr. Lori Shriner.

Love,

Twilight Sparke

I knew Lori would back me up since I was going through so much. Later that day, after packing my things, I left for Canterlot. I found a hotel called The Fancy Place.....How creative.

"Here you go, missy. Room number 23."

"....How about 22?"

"......Well, we've actually been having plumbing problems with that room."

"I'll take it."

I didn't bother to explore my room. As soon as I got in, I plopped down on the bed and began to read.

Chapter 7
The Appointment Met

I finally made it to Dr. Lori's office. Inside, the building was all white, except for a few plants and paintings. I almost went crazy looking at the color-devoid walls......As if I wasn't already crazy enough. I was surprised by what the receptionist told me.

"Lori's been expecting you. Please go in."

As soon as I got to her office, she, with her back turned to me, told me to take a seat on the nearby leather couch.

"I have felt your coming prescence, but I want to know why."

"Well,....it's actually about your mom."

Hearing this, she turned around immediately. She wasn't a zebra like her mom. She was a brown mare with glasses, a white coat, and white gloves.

"What about my mom?"

"I hate to tell you this, but.....I'm cursed with what I've heard you doctors would call The 22 Enigma......And that's also what killed your mom."

I had read about The 22 Enigma. It was actually more common than I thought. I won't waste time explaining it......I don't have to write everything.

She didn't respond for a long time. But, finally, when it seemed as though she had died sitting forward, she spoke.

"Get out of my office!! Your cruel, sick jokes do not amuse me!"

"I'm not making jokes! This is serious!"

"I said get..."

"You didn't go to your mom's funeral, did you?"

".....I.....How did you know that?"

After finally settling her down, we spoke for a while, me explaining everything the whole while. When I finally got done, she seemed to have a whole different attitude.

"I'm terribly sorry for your bad luck..."

"Oh, it's not luck.....It's my relationship with suicidal blondes."

"What?"

"Nothing."

Kind of a little sick humor. I needed a laugh from even a cruel joke,....since I hadn't laughed in days.

"Well, I don't know much about curses,....at least, not like Mom,....but I will tell you to finish this book.-"

"That's all you have to offer me?!"

"Look,...it'll help ease your mind and, hopefully, stop your anxiety. For all we know, this could all be a form of angst.-"

"I know for a fact that it's not angst!!"

"Listen, you're not the only pony to tell me about something like this. As you said, there's a whole enigma based on it. So, please, just take my advice."

".....Okay, Doc."

"And, if it's all for the best, maybe you need to get away for a while. Leave town, find a hotel."

I knew Orlando wouldn't mind, so I thanked her for her time and left, ready to leave for a while.....I just hoped I could make this work.

"So do I."

I heard a knock at my hotel door. I expected to find the manager or one of the housekeepers. But, instead,...it was the pony I least expected to see....ever.


End of Chapter 7!


Author's Note: I will soon be writing a story on this site that I think you and everyone on FIMFiction will enjoy. It will be based off the Avengers franchise. So, stay tuned.


22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222