• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 895 Views, 44 Comments

The Number 22 - Blazing Shadows



Twilight gets a book for her birthday that seems to know her past....and predict a horrible future.

  • ...
7
 44
 895

Chapter 20

Author's Note: Thanks to all you who've read my story. Don't forget to read all the chapters and comment as much as needed, whether it be criticism or praise.

Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or The Number 23, the cool movie this story is based on.

THE NUMBER 22

Chapter 20

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222


February 9


Chapter 19
A Shocking Discovery....But No Connection

I couldn't believe what I had just found.....The dead, decaying body of one of the curse's possible victims.....Laura Toffee, who died on her 22nd birthday, was a victim of brutal murder, supposedly by her secret lover. I may have seen a lot of dead bodies as a researcher, but I never really got up close and personal with a decaying corpse. After traveling to the Royal Palace, I found a secret underground park (Celestia's Park) that contained the body. She had been forcefully buried, no marker anywhere around, next to the swings. Her lover had meant to leave her there....He wanted to bury her quickly and make a fast getaway.....But, there was still something I didn't get.....What did this finding have to do with me beating the curse?

"This makes absolutely no sense."

"Well, of course it makes absolutely no sense,....because you're not remembering well enough."

"You! Why would you be helping me? You're a demon that got me to kill Orlando! Why should I listen to you about anything?!!"

"Sometimes, you have to keep your friends close....and your enemies even closer...."

"What does that even mean?!"

"See? You're still not thinking well enough! Just ignore the past few things I've been saying and go back to what I originally said! YOU'RE NOT REMEMBERING WELL ENOUGH!!"

"Remembering?....Remembering what?"

"You'll find out very soon.....I gurantee it..."

With that, he fell silent and went away,....something he had never done before.

"He wants me to figure this one out on my own......He knows that I know something very important....It's somewhere in the back of my mind....All I have to do is remember what it is?!"

"Laura Toffee? Where have I heard her name before?"

I spent hours trying my best to think back, but it just didn't come to me. Finally, out of anger, I punched a glass picture frame hanging on the wall, causing it to fall on the floor and smash into about a hundred pieces.

"...Oh.....This was taken during our trip to the beach...."

It was a picture of me and Orlando....By the looks we had on our faces, we were having the time of our life.....Now, though,...that will never be again.

"Oh, Orlando....If only I could go back!"

Then it hit me.

"GO BACK! That's it! I need to go back to Laura's grave! She died by the hooves of her lover and nopony ever found her body. She was never given a proper burial.....Well, I am not gonna let her death be in vain! Oh no!"

In my mind, I felt that, if I gave her a proper burial, I could somehow erase the memories of the curse during her time. That, in general, could create a paradox where the curse never made it past her and that it died along with her.....It was a long shot, but I was willing to try anything.

"Amazing how these chapters can relate so much to what's actually going on in real life."

I got home late last night, too tired to do anything else. But I had woken up early this morning to get a head start. And, as usual, the book was mirroring what was going on in my life. My plan was the same as Hoofling's. Just like she said, it's a long shot....But, anything's worth a try.

"Rarity, this is Twilight. I'm gonna need you to come with me tonight when nopony can see us.....There's something I need you to see"

After making my phone call, I headed on to the Palace, determined to bring Laura Toffee's body out into the open....and into a proper tomb.

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222


"Twilight, where exactly are we going?"

"Just wait and see, Rarity....This is gonna be shocking..."

I led her around to the Gardens. I then showed her the door leading underground. Upon seeing, she tensed up. I wouldn't blame her. It was a scary and rather chilly night, shadows being reflected on the ground by the dimly-lit lamps strewn throughout the Palace grounds.

"Um,...uh,..Twilight? I don't think we should be going in there..."

"Why not?!"

"Well, it's just that.....Well,...I just don't think you thought your plan through that well!"

I was shocked at her sudden outburst. She tensed up even more, probably expecting me to yell at her. However, it was actually worse than that....She was expecting me to hit her.

"Rarity, what are you doing?! I'm not going to hurt you!"

She untensed herself a little, just enough for her to open her eyes and look at me directly.

"I'm sorry, Twilight. It's just that....."

She began leaning towards me. I interpreted this as her wanting to tell me a secret. So, I leaned closer to her, allowing her mouth to get near my ear.

"...I'm scared of going underground."

".....Oh....Is that all?"

"Um,....yes...."

"Oh, well, thank goodness! I thought you were trying to hide something!"

"Me?! Oh, no, no, no! I would never!..."

She began shifting her eyes back and forth, sweating while she did so. I figured she was getting a little scared standing out in the middle of a dark palace ground on a night like this. I know I would.....That is, if I was alone.

"Well, don't worry then, Rarity. I'll go get Laura's body myself and I'll bring her back out here. Then, you and me can bring her to the Ponyville Cemetary and give her the proper burial she deserves!"

I turned and started to open the door when Rarity stopped me.

"Twilight, no! Please don't go in there!"

"Why not?!"

"....Um,...because,...I don't wanna be left alone in the dark..."

The dark side of me created by the curse took over.

"WELL, SORRY, MS. COMPLAIN!! I mean, come on!! First, you don't wanna go underground, and now you don't wanna stay above ground!! MAKE UP YOUR FRICKIN' MIND!!"

I couldn't believe what I had just said. Rarity was standing back, shaking in fear.

"Oh my gosh, Rarity! I'm so sorry! I-I don't know what came over me!"

"Oh, th-that's all right, Twilight. It...wasn't really your fault....I mean,....I guess this kind of night can get to anypony..."

I could tell by the look on her face that she still didn't believe the whole "don't know what came over me." She knew that the curse had momentarily taken over my mind,.....just like Hoofling.

"Good job, Twilight. You've finally learned to speak what's on your mind."

"Shut up!"

"Twilight?!"

"Oh, not you, Rarity! I was talking to....myself...."

Saying that, I decided it was now time for me to shut up and get on with what I had come here to do.

"....Alrighty, then. I'm just gonna go get her body and I'll be back out in a bit."

I went down the stairs, all 22 of them, opened the door, (Good thing Celestia broke the lock.) and went over to the spot she had dug up Laura. It wasn't hard to find, since the fresh mound of moved dirt was still visible. I moved it with my magic, expecting to once again find Laura's decaying face staring back at me,....but she wasn't there.


End of Chapter 20!


Author's Note: First, Rarity has a secret she won't tell Twilight and now Laura's body disappears! What will happen next! Find out,...well, next chapter.


22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222