• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 29,081 Views, 3,102 Comments

Shackles and Friendship - Zaibatsu



A HiE fic filled with light comedy and a bit of adventure. Enjoy.

  • ...
136
 3,102
 29,081

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12 - Incoming D'awwwnuke!

Shackles and Friendship
Chapter 12 - Incoming D'awwwnuke!

AN: I found my cover art!


If I could describe the ride to Ponyville in a single word, it would have to be peaceful. The breeze was cold but the sunshine kept us comfortably warm while creating an brilliant shine from behind the clouds, it was all simply perfect. At first my mind kept wondering about thinking what the town would be like, what will I be doing, and whether or not I'll have to kill something to get meat back into the menu. But eventually those worries melted away by the scenery and I fell into a sense of calm and peace.

'This I can get used to.'

I was ready to just sleep through the entire trip and losing myself in the windy sensation, but just as I was about to close my eyes the chariot flew over a hill revealing our destination. My opened wide as I took in the new scenery, it was every bit a peaceful town would and should be. The first thing I noticed were the great expanse of green dominating the area, with exception to the road there were plants, trees and grass everywhere, some even growing on the buildings themselves. Closest to us was a large red barn located some distance away from the town surrounded by a great number of apple trees which expanded several hills around. A river swiveled around through the town like a snake, its light blue water gave the scene a beautiful contrast from the dominant green. Most of the buildings appear to be houses of sort which were mostly white with yellow-orange roofing, they all appear to share a similar design with only subtle differences like balconies and overhangs. One building, a large three story building with several wooden beams around it, stood out from the rest making it look like a government building or mayor's office.

And just when I thought it couldn't get any more perfect nature decided to add something extra, a bright colorful rainbow arced across the sky right on top of the peaceful town. Considering their level of technology as well as having magic, I had expected this world to retain most of it's natural environment. But this just made me realize how much humans have ravaged our home, I doubt there's any place left on earth that could even come halfway close to the beauty of this town or invoke the same feeling of peacefulness.

It wasn't an idea but more like a compulsion, before I even realize what I was doing I had begun to hum a familiar tune.

[On the other side of the chariot....]

Twilight's ears perked up in attention when she heard something in the wind, at first she thought it was the wind blowing past her ear but it kept changing tone here and there. She looked away from the book towards the source of the sound, the human remain still as he kept looking at the view in front of him. It only took a second longer for Twilight to realize that the human was humming a tune, probably playing along a music in his head. Twilight didn't mind, in fact the tune was a pleasant change from the constant blur of wind blowing past her ears. It was when Twilight turned around to continue reading did the humming abruptly stopped only to be replaced by words as Rodney began to sing.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

And the dreams that you dreamed of

Once in a lullaby

Oh somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

And the dreams that you dreamed of

Dreams really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star

Wake up where the clouds are far behind me

Where trouble melts like lemon drops

High above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me

Oh somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

And the dreams that you dare to

Oh why, oh why can't I?

Oh someday I'll wish upon a star

Wake up where the clouds are far behind me

Where trouble melts like lemon drops

High above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me

Oh somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

And the dreams that you dare to

Why, oh why can't I, I?

(AN: Thank you Isreal, and may you rest in peace.)

Somewhere during the music Twilight's gaze followed Rodney's towards the all too familiar view of her town. Sure Twilight stared at the view of Ponyville the first time she came here, but to her it was mostly out of curiosity of new places. But now while listening intently to every word of the song, she saw her second home in a new light. Despite her adventures since she moved there the town was a peaceful place to live and certainly a wonderful change from the constant white and gray stones of Canterlot. Most importantly it was where she met her friends and learned the true meaning of friendship, but there was more to it. It was the small things that she had taken for granted in her everyday life like the pleasant greetings from neighbors and receiving smiles from ponies she didn't even really know.

'Why did it take so long for me to see it? Why did it take somepony like HIM to show it to me!?' she turned her head and looked back at the human. Based on her experience, Rodney certainly had been a constant surprise with his skill and intellect but his method of speech and antics showed just how immature he can be. But there was nothing before that showed her anything about him being sensitive or anything of the like, it threw her impression of him completely of scale. 'Are all humans like that? Or was it just bad luck I got the odd one?'

[Back on the other side.....]

(AN: Requires use of imagination for rainbow.)

"Uh Twily, why are you staring at me like that?" after my impromptu concert returned back to my relaxing position where I notice Twilight had abandoned her book and was eyeing with a small squint.

*sigh* "Nothing, just thinking about my luck." I raised an brow at her in confusion. "Forget about it." I shrugged and leaned back with both hands behind my head. "Anyway I didn't peg you as the singing type, was that a song from your world? It's beautiful."

"Yea it was, it's a simple song and pretty straight forward. Basically about finding, wanting and hoping to find a better place. When I saw the town I realized I fit all three." Twilight beamed at me.

"I'm glad you like it, wait till we actually arrive. It's even better."

"By all means, do tell." Twilight started to describe the town and it's inhabitants, she started with her friends who I've met before the first time I arrived in this world but never really talked at all. I decided it was best to gather as much information about the town I'm going to be living in, plus it helped pass the time.

[Sometime later....]

"You're joking, a day spa? Really?"

"What's wrong with a day spa?" I looked down at her hooves and back up to her eye. "What?"

"Nothing, what ever works for you Twily. Though I'm starting to suspect you ponies like it rough."

"And what does that suppose to-uff!" the chariot jolted rocking us a bit as it made contact with the dirt road withing Ponyville. I stood up and weaved my head about taking in my new home for the foreseeable future. Everything looked simple and cozy, from the houses to the numerous stalls around the clearing the town was exactly what one would imagine in a medieval-fantasy video game. It would have been perfect if everyone in the vicinity wasn't staring at me and giving me odd looks.

'I guess that's to be expected, it's actually weird none of them are running away.'

'Look at it from their perspective, there's an unknown creature with chains wrapped around it's limbs riding in a royal chariot standing next to the Celestia's apprentice. We probably look more like a prisoner about to get interrogated.'

"Hey Twilight," she was already off the chariot and was trying to put on her saddlebag. "you have told everyone about me, right?"

"Of course I did." she said flatly, I swung my arm in a broad sweep to indicate all the stares I was getting. "Oh don't worry about them, it is your first time in Ponyville."

"Well if you say so." I looked back to the crowd and with a shrug picked up my bag and jumped of the chariot. "So were to now?"

"We're going to library where I live, and I guess where you'll be living as well." 'of course she lives in a library.' "I've also sent a letter yesterday to my friends to meet us there."

"Those other ponies I met in the forest?" honestly I don't remember much from that encounter considering I thought I was high.

"If we're lucky their already waiting in the library with Spike."

"Who's Spike? *cough*" the chariot flew off kicking up some dust.

"He's my number one assistant." and with that we started to make our way in silence as I take in the sights and try to familiarize myself with the town, and the stares.

[Several minutes later, in front of the library....]

"Twilight."

"Hmm?"

"Why is the library, which happen to be you-our home, a tree?"

"Why what's wrong with it?"

"Let's see, a large supply of dry paper inside a flammale structure? You're just asking to get burned, literally!" even I know not to mess with Murphy's Law.

"Please Rodney who do you take me for, I am Princess Celestia's protege. I've cast enchantments to prevent fires and it even has a magical lightning rod installed in case of storms." I keep staring at the structure suspiciously.

*sigh* "Course, magic." that's probably why its so large. Height wise it's not that much different from a normal tree but its width was gigantic, you can probably walk through some of thicker branches. Which was another thing, somehow despite having nearly having it entirely hollowed out the tree looked alive, in fact it looked perfectly healthy. 'Tree huggers back home is gonna shit themselves if they see this.'

While I was pondering the nature of the fucked up tree, Twilight had already opened the front door and walked in.

"Spike, I'm hooome! Spike?"

"In the kitchen Twilight!" from his voice Spike sounded like a boy several years behind puberty. As I walked in behind Twilight a purple-lizard-thing strolled in from a corner.

'Huh.... So this is where Barney came from.'

'Being your subconscious I can take a lot of disturbing shit, but I swear if he suddenly breaks into a song....'

"GAH! Twilight look out there's a monster behind you!"

*giggle* "Don't worry Spike he's harmless," Twilight turned and gave me an eye, "most of the time." I just smiled. "Anyways, Rodney this is Spike my number one assistant, Spike this is Rodney the human." just as Spike heard that last bit of information his eyes widened in recognition.

"Wait, he's the guy you've been writing about in your letter? The one that was sucking up all that magic?"

"The one and only." I replied. "And what exactly are you supposed to be? A mutated iguana?"

"I'm a dragon." it took me a while for his words to sink in.

".......What?"

"A dragon, you know. Fire breathing, eats gems and all that. Why you never heard of us?"

"We have actually, we've got legends about dragons from my world, and yea they do breath fire though I'm not sure about the gems part." Twilight's ears perked up when she heard this and was about to question me further, so I continued on talking as to not give her a chance, something I've starting to get used to. "Thing is they describe dragons to be, well.....bigger."

"Well that's because I'm just a baby dragon." from the tone of his voice I might have hurt a bit of his feelings with my comment. "Eventually I'll grow up bigger than the library, I'll get my wings as well as my-"

Knock Knock!

"Oh that must be the girls. Spike could you-".

BAAAAMM!!

The door burst open nearly flying off its hinges by a bright pink pony, I was too confused and surprised to dodge the pink missile as it barreled down to my midriff.

"Hi my name's Pinkie Pie and I'm so happy to finally meet you again I was suppose to see you tomorrow but somepony change their mind and I had a whole bunch of party pastries ready for your 'Welcome-to-Ponyville-and-thanks-for-not-destroying-Equestria' party but don't worry there was somepony who was more than happy to eat them all so no problemo but that mean's I have to make a new batch for the party *GAAASSSSP* that means I can plan an entirely new party for you and-" between the confusion and being thrown on my ass I could only gather bits and peaces of what the pink pony was blabbering about, the fact that she's talking at break neck speed didn't help. What stood out the most was her mane and tail, they were a deeper shade of pink but was a jumbled mess of puff.

"Pinkie Pie please get off him, I don't think he's even listening to you." from the tone of Twilight's voice it seems this was an everyday thing for her. "And could you please prepare something for the girls? Thank you." I hear the clip-clop of numerous hooves, I looked up from the floor to see an orange earth pony with a mane and tail of bright blonde and what looked like freckles right under her eyes. Most notable was the cowboy hat she was wearing which managed to stay still as she galloped inside followed by three others.

"Sorry 'bout that Twi. Ah tried tah stop her but once she read your message-"

"Its ok AJ, I should have expected Pinkie Pie reacting like she did."

*pant-pant* "Applejack must we *pant* gallop all the way. I do not wish to smell of sweat just before meeting.......somepony." eventually her eyes drifted to the floor where I was still laying on my back rubbing the back of my head. She was a unicorn with a coat of ivory white which made her mane and tail of deep purple stood out more, they were curled and looked like it was made out of silk, probably feels like it too. I was just about to get back up but before I even got to my knees I was pushed back by a cyan blue pegasus with one hell of a dye job.

"What are you doing in Ponyville huh? Are you a spy?" she kept both her front hooves on my chest pinning me to the floor. I'm not the type to judge based on appearances or first impressions, but I could tell that this mare was not the brightest of the bunch. Actually she wasn't that bright period.

"Are you?" I replied with just as much accusation in my voice.

"Course not! I'm the element of loyalty, I'll never betray my friends." she raised one of her front hooves off me to tap her chest, clearly she takes pride in that last bit.

"Are you?" she looked at me like I'm stupid or something for asking again. "You think your their friend, you think your the element of loyalty. But what if your a sleeper hmm? A spy who doesn't know she's a spy." I wasn't sure if these ponies know what sleepers are, but by the way her pupils shrunk and how she started to murmur and sputter incoherent sentences, I think she does at least.

'I gotta hand it to you, breaking someone right after meeting them. Kudos man.'

I took my chance and dragged my self away from the rainbow mare and finally got back on my feet. Soon as I did though I heard a small "eep" from a yellow pegasus who was trying her best to hide behind the white unicorn, but was failing horribly. She had a sakura colored mane and tail which looked much longer than the rest and despite any hairstyle it looked beautiful. But it was a different kind of beauty, it wasn't the kind that shows after using accessories or wearing fancy dresses, her's was a natural kind. She looked out from behind the unicorn but once our eyes met she let out another adorable squeal and disappeared behind her mane.

*sigh* "Alright everypony calm down, everything's fine. He's not going to hurt anypony." Twilight bade each of her friends to gather before she starts, although she had to smack the rainbow pegasus with a book to snap her back to reality. "Rainbow your not a spy! Now please just sit down with everypony." I was still standing in the same spot keeping my eye on the yellow pegasus as she continue to stand behind the white unicorn as they both made their way. When they were all finally sitting or laying down in a small semi circle around Twilight and myself she began to make the introductions.

"Ahem, everypony this is Rodney," she raised a hoof to point at me, "Rodney these are my friends; Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy." she pointed to each pony as she called their names. "Now, I know I've given very little detail in the letter so I'll explain further. First of as you and the rest of the town already know he's not here to hurt or steal away anypony's magic, that was all a big misunderstanding and he wasn't doing it intentionally." Twilight went on to explain a brief review of my time in Canterlot, my unique ability and training under Twilight's supervision. Eventually she got to the point where both princesses agreed to let me live in Ponyville in order to learn more about this world and pony lives so that I can make something of myself as a teacher. However I wasn't paying any attention though it all, my mind was busy with something more problematic. "And that's pretty much the gist of it, anypony got a question?"

"Oh mememememememememe!"

"You don't have to yell Pinkie I can hear you just fine, what is it?"

"Why is his eye twitching like that? Is that normal? Looks fun!" Twilight turned and looked at me for the first time since she began talking to the group, sure enough my right eye was twitching erratically.

"Uh Rodney? Everything ok?" there was genuine concern in her voice as well as a bit of fear. Probably though I was about to explode or something.

"........"

"Rodney?"

"Please.....end me."

"Huh?"

[Several minutes ago.....]

'I DON'T CARE!! I demand you glomp that pony right now!!'

'I'm not glomping anything!'

'Look at that thing! Imagine if someone decided to make a nuclear warhead of cuteness, they'll use her instead of plutonium. Incoming D'awwwnuke!'

'Not doing it!'

'Look how soft her coat is, her silky mane! And did you hear that squeal? I bet she works just like a chew toy, just add a bit of pressure and TADA! Instant cute drug, could probably replace weed.'

NO!

'Don't make me force you!'

'And how exactly are you-'

[Back to the present.....]

"Huh?"

'Oh god....please.'

'IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL! IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL!'

'Please, I don' care what it is, something ANYTHING to make him stop.'

"AAAAAHHH! TWILIGHT!" it came from the kitchen.

'THANK YOU!' all the ponies and myself made a mad dash to the kitchen entrance, seeing as I was the only one standing I made it first. I ran into the kitchen only to have black smoke cover my vision and sting my eyes and I began coughing as I accidently breathed in some of the smoke, once I cleared out my lungs and waved the smoke away I see Spike huddle in a corner and covering his snout. He was trapped behind a blazing fire.



















AN: First of, I'M BACK! Sorry for the long wait, trip had to be extended due to unforeseen events, and thanks to Pinkie Pie that includes a trip to the doctor to see if I got diabetes. If you all followed me I just posted a blog some time ago, right as I got home I immediately started writing cause I know you guys have been waiting too long for the next chapter. Now I already did some proof reading but that was also in haste so I might miss something here and there, yea I know two bad grammar chapters in a row but I really didn't want to make you guys wait any longer than you have to.

Second, I know Spike can't get hurt by the fire, I mean he jumped into lava once, or belly flopped. It's all in my grand, retarded design.

So please post up any mistakes and such in the comments and don't forget to give me thumbs up or down, I really want to know how this story stands. Hope you can see pass the crappy quality and enjoy the chapter.

God its good to finally be back home, and with Pinkie gone I get to play my 360 aga-WHAT THE HELL!

Why is my 360 PINK!!

PreviousChapters Next