• Published 15th Feb 2017
  • 1,027 Views, 12 Comments

From The Ashes - Horizon Sunrise



Twilight is trapped in an alternate universe because of Starlight Glimmer. She has to find a way to fix this timeline to get back to her own, and learn that sometimes heroes have no choice but to do horrible things, a test on her morals.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,027

Chapter 6: Armouring up

Get her to the emergency ward now!...

Sir, we are losing her!...

Come on Commander, be strong!...

“Beep… Beep…” The monotone beeps continue as I opened my eyes. Instead of seeing the nasty frontlines, I was lying on a hospital bed. My body was covered in bandages. All my friends were around me. There was Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Twi-

“Wait a darn minute!” I reacted with confusion. “Why are you here Twilight, I thought you were dead! Am I dead too and is this the celestial space?”

“No Applejack, you are very much alive.” Rarity patted my back.

“Then why in tarnation is she doing here!” I shouted unexpectedly. The twilight imposter was startled and looked away from me.

“Honestly AJ, we don’t know, but she is here to fight.” Rainbow responded. “She has volunteered herself to fight in the Equestrian Army. She was supposed to-”

“NO! I'm not letting her die in the frontlines!” I screamed to Rainbow. “We have already lost Celestia in this war. Luna and Cadence are struggling to maintain control of the ponies at home. And now Twilight is back… she needs to be protected at all costs!”

“Applejack…” Twilight walked up to me. “I came from another universe to this universe for a reason. I believe that helping you all fight in this war is the reason. Please… let me help you.”

“Twilight, I don't think you understand the gruesome tactics and war crimes we commit each day. If you're like our Twilight, you'll not survive the first day in the trenches, least be mentally scarred by the war.” I sighed. I looked at Twilight's determined face. I couldn't say no to a determined soldier.

“Oh Darnit! Fine. You can fight, but you will be receiving specialized training from me when I'm discharged. Now don't do anything stupid!” I said.

“OK everypony.” The doctor, scalpel heart, entered the room with a checklist. “The commander needs some rest. You can come visit her tomorrow.” Reluctantly, all of my friends left the room.

“So commander..." He looked at the report on her injuries. "You're very lucky. The blast didn't damage any internal organs. No loose metal in your body. Just a lot of scratches. We'll keep you here for one night and let the cuts heal, then you can leave.”

“Thanks doc…”

“Oh by the way… you received a new nickname for your bravery in the field.”

“What is it scalpel?” I asked, intrigued.

“Apple of the Crystal Empire.”

~

Two days later

I waited for Applejack in front of her office (which was surprisingly one big house), standing in ‘attention’. (I don't know why Rainbow calls standing still with no movement or facial expression is called that but… meh). The uniform I was supposed to wear was hot and uncomfortable. The helmet was cool and made my head itchy. The door opened, and the bright light that shined caught me off guard.

Applejack was wearing a black coat with a lot of medals attached on her chest. She was carrying two different rifles and a sword dangling from her torso. One of the rifles had an apple engraved on its side. I must say… Applejack looked more dressed then ever.

“OK Twilight, we need to start with your basic training. We are short of our new SMLE Mark III rifles so we have to make use with our older models.” She tossed me one of the rifles, which I caught with my magic. “This is the Martini-Henry Mark IV. Made during the first bloods of this war. A very reliable rifle in my books. Packs a huge buck. But sadly only can fire one bullet before reloading…”

“Wow…” I could only admire the sheer beauty of this weapon. At the side of this weapon, there was an engraving on it, which says “Twilight Sparkle. Onwards Equus.”

“That is our motto. The engravings are there to differentiate the rifles. And remind the soldiers why they fight.” Applejack motioned me to follow her.

“Come on Twi, we need to start training!” I followed her, looking forward to the day ahead.

~

OK… never count your bullets till they're made.

“GET YOUR FILTHY FLANK HERE SOLDIER!” Immediately at the training grounds, Applejack changed to a very menacing state. She ordered me to run around the field, occasionally commenting on how slow I am on running, harshly. (it's not my fault I’m a bit bigged-sized)

“EVEN GRANNY SMITH CAN RUN FASTER THAN YOU” I was shocked by her insults and shoutings. Applejack really changed during the war.

After 10 rounds (or was it 15? I can’t remember after that intense ‘workout’), she taught me on how to load and fire the Martini-Henry. She wasn’t kidding when she said that the Martini-Henry packs a huge buck. When I fired the weapon, I was almost thrown off-balance and the target I was aiming at was obliterated.

Some more lessons on infantry equipment (A shovel, seriously?) and directions to attack and fall back (don't want to be caught in the ‘shelling’ as they called it), I was thrown back into more wing-ups, rounds ‘round the field and obstacle courses. I finally understand why BBBFF said that it was hard in the military.

“Ah…” I collapsed onto a bench, panting. Applejack stared at me from above.

“You ok sugarcube?” That caring tone of her voice made me smile.

“Yes Applejack… I’m fine. Can’t believe you’ll shout and order ponies like that.”

“I need ta get ya’ll moving somehow.”

I sat upright and looked at Applejack. Looking at her medals, I thought of something I hadd to ask her.

“Hey Applejack.”

“Yes Sugarcube?”

“How was your life in the war?”