• Published 15th Feb 2017
  • 1,026 Views, 12 Comments

From The Ashes - Horizon Sunrise



Twilight is trapped in an alternate universe because of Starlight Glimmer. She has to find a way to fix this timeline to get back to her own, and learn that sometimes heroes have no choice but to do horrible things, a test on her morals.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,026

Chapter 5: Frontlines

Meanwhile, on the Northern Front.

‘Dear Granny Smith and Apple Bloom,

Sorry I’m not be able to come to this year’s Apple family reunion. I can’t just let my ponies die out there without a leader. I hope you two can understand and forgive me.

Both me and Big Mac here are holding well against the Equalists. We might have a chance to push them all the way out of the Crystal Empire and eliminate them! Then we will only need to focus on the Ponyville front. If they are careless enough.

Big Mac looked might dandy in his huge body armor of his, mowing down the troops as he marched forward. I am still leading and commanding down in the trenches. Soon enough we will be back home.

Now this part is for my beloved Apple Bloom. Pass the letter to her please.

Apple Bloom. You must understand, even though I’ve wrote this like more than I need to, that Big Mac and I might not come back from this fight. Everyday we risk our lives to save Equestria from certain doom. I know you are strong Apple Bloom. You will live on with us gone.

My only wish is for you to tell our stories to everypony and share our sufferings to your grandchildren.

Never forget us, my little Apple Bloom.

Your best sister forever,

Applejack.’

I placed down my quill. My SMLE rifle rested on the other side of the table. I looked outside of the command centre, out to the nightmarish world we have created. Ponies in trenches, waiting to die. Behind the trenches, Rarity and her artillery division shelled all the barbed wire lain in ‘No Mare’s Land’. The other side was barely visible, but I knew it would have looked the same. I attached it onto a pigeon and let it fly to Canterlot. Thank you Fluttershy for the pigeons.

“You ready AJ?” Big Mac walked in with his body armor and heavy machine gun on his back. “One last push, and we win in the Northern Front.”

“Ah know Big Mac,” I picked up my rifle and loaded it. “This one last push, and we can see Granny Smith and Apple Bloom again.” Both of us rushed out of the command post.

-

“Ok Ponies, here’s the strategy.” All the Squad leader gathered around me as I finalize the battle plan. “Right after Sunset,Big Mac will lead the charge with Squad beta. Smash through the frontlines and, most important of all, take out the Heavy Machine Guns. After ‘All Clear’ signal is given, you continue to advance while all of us finish off the remaining Equalists.” I turned to Rarity.

“Rare, I need artillery cover as Big Mac advances.”

“Yes Ma’am!”

“Ok everypony, battle stations!” Everypony rushed back to their squad. I got ready with Squad Beta and Big Mac. We counted the timer as the sun sets down the horizon.

5.

4.

3.

2.

1.

“CHARGE!” No Mare’s Land was now filled with Equestrian forces with Big Mac leading the charge. Bullets bounced off his armor like it was nothing. As we jumped down to the enemy trenches, we were met with heavy resistance and even heavier machine gun fire. Our squad was being gunned down. All around me splattering of skulls were heard. I aimed down my SMLE, pulled a trigger, and now one machine gun post is un-mared.

“There are one more surviving!” Big Mac shouted. His heavy machine gun mowed down any infantry backup and elite forces, but he can’t reach those machine gun posts. The many dents in his armor may let the armor give way at any moment. I looked at the mare in the machine gun, or… filly?! Her face was filled with fear and her frantic motion tells me that she was not prepared for this. I was dazed by that filly.

Just then, her head exploded. The machine gun stopped firing, the blood leaking from the body stained the ground around it. Whether by Sniper or by the reinforcements, I didn’t care. All I knew is that she died too young.

“Starlight is now using fillies to fight this dang war!” I shot another soldier. She has gone too far!

Maybe at that time I couldn’t think straight after that, or I just lost my sanity. I place my SMLE rifle on my back and grabbed one of Starlight’s MP 18 sub-machine guns carried by the elite soldiers from the muddy earth. I ran in front of the safety of Big Mac’s armor and charged straight to their last commanding post.

“Applejack! Where are you…” that was the last words I heard before I was too far from Big Mac. My blind rage unleashed, I bucked down the door of the command post, bayonet charged one officer and mowed down another two.

The lead commander aimed his pistol and shot my stomach. Although hurt, I bucked the pistol off his hoof and pinned him down.

“WHY! WHY’D YOU DO THIS TO THE YOUNG? YOU MONSTER!” I shouted. The blood from my stomach drip on the commander as he laughed maniacally.

“Everypony has to be equal! Regardless of age, talent or species, we will serve Starlight without end! For the glory of the Equalists!” I snapped his neck, his body rested as a hand grenade appeared out of his hoof.

“GRENAD-” Then the world became black.