• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 1,263 Views, 23 Comments

The Three Guards - BarbarianBrony



A look at things from a Royal Guard's Point of View.

  • ...
1
 23
 1,263

Arrival and Trial

‘With the founding of the Royal Guard of Equestria it was decided by the Sisters of Day and Night that there would be three guards. One would be the elite chosen by the Sun, the next was chosen by the Moon, and those not chosen would make up the Royal Guard. Each sister selected her guards based on different values. Princess Celestia valued intelligence and bravery over all else; however, Princess Luna valued determination and cunning more than any other traits.

All three guards slowly grew in strength and skill through the years. The history of the Guards are well established and filled with various heroes and champions, but even the greatest of these ponies could not stop the darkest part of their history from happening. Before any could understand where she came from, there arose a Nightmare who sought to cover the land in eternal night.

The Lunar Guards knew what had happened and upheld their allegiance to the Princess even though it meant going against the rest of Equestria. A long battled ensued causing chaos to be ever present while the war raged. After princess Celestia wielded a mighty power against her sister, and banished her to the moon, the Lunar Guard was disbanded. The remaining members were pardoned, but they were treated as outcasts by everypony who knew them...’

Slowly the sun shined through the windows at the Canterlot Library. Many books lined countless shelves and on multiple floors. Ponies could be seen reading various books anywhere from cookbooks to the latest Daring Do novel.

As ponies bustled to and fro, a bright sapphire blue pegasus was quickly searching the library. It was clear he was not looking for a good novel to curl up and read. Eventually Ace found what he was searching for when he heard the soft snoring coming from a table covered with stacks of thick books in the history section.

Behind this wall of literature was Buckler with his head resting on a book. Ace chuckled softly while quietly moving closer to his sleeping comrade. Ace slammed his hoof onto the table. Buckler jumped up and fell out of his seat, but quickly rolled and assumed a defensive position to ward off any oncoming attacks. Buckler groaned as he figured out who had awoken him.

“And good morning to you too sunshine.” Ace said while laughing. He watched as Buckler picked up his knocked over chair and set it up under the table.

“I just want you to know how much I hate you right now.” Buckler glared daggers at him. “Why did you wake me up like an asshole?”

“Well aside from your pretending you were back in school, the Night has returned to us.” Ace grinned as he watched Buckler catch his meaning. “And as faithful knights we must answer our summons else we must learn to fear shadows.”

“When?”

“Now.”

“But I am not ready. I need to clean up some and prepare to...” suddenly Buckler felt as though he was being pressed and squeezed through a very long tube. He landed with a soft thud onto stone flooring. What the buck just happened to me!? Dizzily he scanned his surroundings, until his eyes fell upon an alicorn. She was smaller than Celestia and her coat was a soft blue-lavender color. He quickly realized this was Princess Luna and rose to his hooves then kneeled.

“Graced by moonlight, blessed by her might. Hail Princess of Moon and Night”

“Rise Buckler. I am most pleased you know the proper way to greet me by my guard. How did you know it? I assumed it had been lost and then forgotten over the last thousand years.” her voice was soft like a gentle breeze. Buckler felt comforted and rose from his kneeling position.

“I have spent some time researching you and your Lunar Guard protocols.” he answered.

“Well that is surprising, since most of the history of my Lunars was destroyed or lost. I understand it that you have been studying intensely awaiting my return.” she said thoughtfully.

“How did you know that I have been studying since you only just returned to us?” Buckler inquired.

“Sister told me of you and Ace, and mentioned how you both were working so hard to be prepared to help in my return. At first I was upset that she only gave me two guards, it felt as though she didn’t trust me. She told me that was never her intention, she merely did not wish to overwhelm me. Still I felt slighted that she gave me a new recruit..” at this Buckler looked down till she lifted his face and gave a gentle smile.

“She told me of how you were not just any recruit, but one that matched my preferences in guards. One who had learned several of my Lunar Cycle Style techniques without my teaching it to them. The first to do that in over 900 years. She told me of your fight with the cockatrice and how you killed it to save another knowing that if you failed, he would be turned to stone and you soon after. I have already tested Ace and have agreed to let him be my commander, but you have yet to prove yourself.” Luna looked over at him smiling and threw a small parcel.

Buckler caught the parcel and opened it and saw a shortsword. As he tested it he noticed that Luna had also pulled out a sword and was watching him expectantly. Why does she have a sword? Oh buck me, she wants to test my combat skills.

He quickly shifted into a combat stance and watched her intently. Slowly they began to circle, judging and waiting to see who would make the first move. Luna swung first aiming for Buckler’s chest; however, he countered then immediately went for a disarm. Luna saw this and moved her hoof out of the way and used her wing to push Buckler off to the side causing him to miss. She immediately took advantage of him being overextended by throwing a strong hoof catching him in the shoulder. Buckler grunted and used his momentum to roll away and return to his defensive stance. Buckler took to the air and quickly flew at her using the Striking Crescent Slash. Luna easily countered it and kneed him hard in the chin.

“Do you think I do not know how to stop my own techniques!? I created that style, I know its strengths and its flaws. You learned them from a book and cannot possibly know their potential!” Luna yelled as she flipped him over her back.

Buckler landed hard. She is good. Definitely too good to defeat openly. I am bucked if she counters all my attacks. He shifted into the Full Moon’s Defense, but before he was ready Luna was already in his defenses. He swung anyways knowing it was going to be countered. As he predicted Luna blocked with her sword. Buckler braced himself before receiving a strong hoof to the face. Buckler slammed into the wall, and dropped hard to the ground and didn't move.

“Buckler!” Horrified Luna ran over to his fallen form.

Gotcha! As Luna bent over to exam him, Buckler slammed his head into her unprotected chest catching her off guard . Luna fell backwards and hit the floor the breath knocked out of her. Buckler rolled over and pinned her to the ground with his sword by her neck, “I believe I win Princess Luna” she simply smiled and the next thing Buckler knew his body was floating. This is going to end badly... He watched as her horn glowed and the next thing he knew he was slammed into the ceiling with both swords crossing over his neck.

“Actually Buckler, you lose,” she wheezed as she clutched her chest.

“I yield,” he agreed, knowing he stood no chance. The swords pulled away and he was lowered to the ground.

“Sister was correct: you meet my standards for a guard. Though I would not recommend pretending to be knocked out. Most ponies would simply put a sword through you to make sure you did not get back up. Now kneel and swear the oath before me and rise knowing you are my Lunar Guard till I release you or until Death has claimed you as his,” Luna declared.

He knelt, “As breath flows through my lungs, I will continue to fight. Under the darkest of days, and beneath moonless nights. I will protect the Sun and Moon, with all of my might. My duty is to Equestria, and every one of its plights.”

She motioned for him to rise, “Good. Now as for your armor, I have not finished designing and enchanting it so it will be a little while longer before you get the armor you so crave.”

“I’m going to be sore in tomorrow…” Buckler looked up in confusion as he rose, “What do you mean crave?”

“Sister told me of how disappointed you were at your graduation when you did not receive your armor.”

“That was merely shock that I was not put into either guard! It had nothing to do with getting any armor.” Buckler protested.

Luna laughed lightly, “Well then let us get Lt. Ace down here and Celestia as well so we can finish.” Luna’s horn lit up and suddenly Ace appeared on the floor with a half eaten daisy sandwich.

“Your Highness, I asked you not to do that again.” Ace said looking sadly at what was left of his sandwich now on the ground.

“Once you are finished mourning your loss and Sister shows up you can get lunch from the chefs in the castle kitchen.” Luna said looking at her new commander in amusement.

“Where is the Princess? And why didn’t you teleport her here against her will?” Ace asked looked over with a grin.

“Simply put I am not at my full power, and she has barriers up that I cannot penetrate until I restore my powers more. Also I will have to catch up on the latest spells and incantations, as I am sure more have been developed since my banishment.” she stated matter of factly.

“Well you had enough to beat me in combat.” Ace muttered as he picked himself up off the stone floor, and flexing his wings.

“That’s because you thought I would be weak and intimidated by your flashy moves. At least Buckler tried to fight me straight forward and somewhat honestly.” Luna stated evenly.

Finally someone knocked Ace down a little. Buckler thought amused. The Princess gave him with a sharp look. Buckler swallowed hard.

“Remember one thing my Lunars. In my service you will learn of the night and all it has to offer. You will learn of what it keeps hidden, you will learn to respect it, and how to harness its power. Abuse this power and you will learn why it is wise to fear that which you cannot see.”

“Straight to business as always.” Celestia chuckled as she walked into the room. Ace and Buckler quickly bowed. “Rise Lunars, you now serve Luna and in private you are not required to bow to me. But tell me sister how did they fare?”

“Ace tried to overwhelm me with fast and flashy moves in an attempt to cause me to panic. He hopefully learned that not all are afraid to be injured in order to defeat their opponent. Buckler fought me head on, but noticed he could not defeat me within normal conditions. He acted like I knocked him unconscious and as I drew in he headbutted me in the chest and winded me. Since rules were cast aside I used magic to pin him to the ceiling.” Luna recounted. “They both passed; however, I will need to teach them my personal techniques so they can know of their strengths and weaknesses.”

“I’m glad you approve of them, but it looks as if you took a lot out of them.” Celestia said looking over Ace and Buckler.

“I did not intend to do so. I thought myself out of practice and needed a chance to exam how far my skills had fallen.”

You gotta be kidding me! She is out of practice and she easily kicked my flank from here to Trottingham and back... Buckler felt crushed and frustrated that his skills were sub-par.

“Perhaps you should give them the rest of the day off to rest and be fresh tomorrow?” Celestia mused.

“Yes,” Luna said looking at both her Lunars, be at my chambers at an hour before dusk. Other than that you are both dismissed.” Buckler and Ace saluted then left the chamber.

“Good job kid, you passed your first hurdle as an official guard.” Ace said patting him on the pack causing Buckler to wince at the tender spots on his back and wings flared up in pain.

“That bucking hurts!”

“Then grow a pair and get used to it. We have a tough job and we have to get through these things stoically.” Ace stated.

“You know sometimes I cannot tell if you are a fool who lucked his way into your position or if you put on a farce to lull ponies into a false sense of security.” Buckler muttered through clenched teeth.

“Who is the bigger fool, the fool or the one who follows him?” Ace asked grinning.

Buckler rolled his eyes. “See you tomorrow I am going to take a shower to relax my muscles.”

“Say hi to your sister for me.”

“Who said I was…” he turned to glare but found the hallway empty. How the buck does he do that? Buckler shook his head. “Down that path leads to madness.”

Buckler walked to the Lunar tower and as he climbed the flights of stairs to get to the showers he paused thinking he heard something. He listened carefully trying to figure out what it was, but all he heard was the flickering of flames and the leaves dancing in the wind. Figuring his tired mind was playing tricks on him, he went and took a long hot shower to relax his aching body.

Once Buckler finished refreshing himself he decided it was time to go and sample the nightlife that Canterlot had to offer. After all he realized it was his last night before serving under the Princess of the Night. As Buckler thought of what music and booze he was going to sample as he left the tower, hushed whispers once again resumed under Celestia’s final new moon.

May the moon’s light never fail to shine else the nightmare return to haunt us again.

-Unknown

Author's Note:

At long last the newest Chapter in The Three Guards!!

Comments ( 5 )

Its aliiiiiiiiiive!

4004104 Lots of rl drama taking me away. But I decided that I was tired of putting it off and sat down and got the job done. lol
4004127 Thank you so much it's great to see that people are enjoying my story.

..You know, i just had the weirdest idea..

A guard whom perfers to use his hooves (Or fists..for some reason, i imagine a griffon) rather than a weapon..

He/she would be a former professional fighter..and would know how to fight smart..with distraction...Very strong..and fast..

..Just tossing it at ya.

4004791 I know it's strange but the only rank in Equestria mentioned is Captain so I made my own ranks and positions. I have considered redoing that aspect.

Need update SOON!:coolphoto:

Login or register to comment