• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 1,268 Views, 139 Comments

Pinkie Explores the Dark - David Silver



You are Pinkie Pie. You are about seven to twelve summers old, you never really kept super strict count of that. You spot a creepy house just outside your farmland and decide to have a little peek. -- Readers make the shots, this is a CYOA type story

  • ...
5
 139
 1,268

3 - What's That Noise?

What a meany mc-meany pants! You give a near-inaudible little growl before you look around in the darkness. You're covered in soot, in a furnace, with a terrible mother on the loose in a haunted house.

Perfect.

You move to the side of the furnace and rap a hoof on it loudly, letting out a loud squeaky moan just like you imagine a ghost should sound like.

"What's that?" The mother steps closer, but you don't deviate from the script only you know in your head.

You rap the wall harder as if trying to break through it. "Let me out!" you howl in your squeaky tone of voice. "Why did you put me in here!"

The mother stops. "I... I... You deserved it, wretched child." She drives a hoof down just outside the grate. The dim light she carries lets you see her withered old hoof. "You were even worse than him! Rot in hades and stop bothering me!" She suddenly flees. It isn't a gallop, just a purposeful trotting towards the steps. "You're dead and gone, and you best stay that way, or I'll burn you all over again, you hear me?! All over again!"

You're left stunned, sinking back to your haunches. She actually burned another pony to death in here?! That is a bit more than you want to comprehend. A little tear tries to run down your face, but gets all gunked in the soot on the way and just makes a mess.

You don't much like this place, but there's a little scared ghost colt that needs your help.

You wait until you can't hear her steps anymore before you set out a dirty hoof of your own and emerge into the gloom of the basement. You turn around and reach for your lantern, only to discover its glass broke and you're not sure if you should carry it like that. So you leave it there.

"Wait," comes a soft voice. Another face emerges from the furnace much like the colt had. "You're not me. Why did you lie?"

This one is a filly, not a colt. She is burned everywhere except her eyes, which look at you with piercing pink.

You point at her and think quick. "Would you tell her the truth?"

"No," agrees the burnt ghost filly as she emerges fully and hops down to stand beside you. "You heard what she did."

"Why?" You almost fear knowing, and yet, curiosity is a powerful drive. "I mean, if you wanna say."

The filly frowns faintly. "I don't. She burned me. I can still... feel it." She raises a desiccated hoof that looks like it just finished burning out completely. "Stay out of that furnace. It's mine. It's all that I have..."

You shrink back a little. "I didn't mean to--"

"Brother sent you, I know. That's why I didn't give you away." The filly gives a smirk. "He's such a softy."

They were siblings? That sorta makes sense. "How did..." You lick your lips and find out soot doesn't taste very good. You suddenly realize you might have just tasted the remains of the filly in front of you and turn green around the gills.

"How did what?" asks the filly, unaware of your discomfort. "Look, just stay out of my furnace. If I were you, which I am not, I'd leave everything. Why are you even here?"

"It was a mistake, sorta. This house wasn't here before, honest!" you try to explain, gesturing up at where you think the gate is from there. "How do I get out?"

She lets out a long suffering sigh. "If I knew, why would I be here?" She reaches to the right and taps at the furnace. "This is my home. I can't leave it. You're a nice enough filly. If I were still breathing, I bet we could even be, you know, friends." She gives the barest hint of a smile. "It's too late for me."

You can't just accept that. You hop up to your hoofsies, pronk forward and grab the ghos-- Oh, ghosts aren't solid. You fall right through her and flop on the ground.

The filly lets out an eerily silent laugh. "That was real sweet of you. You're a good filly." She reaches out and taps her nose to yours. You feel that for just an instant. "Good luck." She fades away, simply not there anymore.

You gather yourself back up and rub at where she touched you just a moment ago. You want to help her too, but you have no idea how to go about that.

Author's Note:

https://www.poll-maker.com/results943166x6faB4945-39#tab-2

Pinkie, I mean you, must be very confused. You definitely want to get to that colt, and you're tempted to just bolt right past that mean mother, but caution wins out, barely. Maybe you can be more clever...


Chilling revelations in this chapter methinks. What will you do now?

1) Explore this basement.
2) Back into the furnace
3) Look for the colt
4) Look for a tap to clean off
5) Hey, wasn't there a door out of the house from here?
6) Maybe you have something tucked in that wonderful mane of yours?