• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 2,063 Views, 56 Comments

Entities of Emotion 2: Dark is the Night - Michael_Ravencroft



The Light has had its time, now the Night shall fall again...

  • ...
3
 56
 2,063

Episode 15: The Great and the Powerful

“Everypony has somepony they cared about, and whether they know it or not, the dead have their regrets that are bound to the living,” said Sombra.


“What do you want…? What are you going to do to me?” Spoke a mare with a trembling voice.


“What do I want? I want to give freedom! Freedom from the struggles of life itself, no longer will there be rich and poor, powerful or powerless, the barriers between tribes will be broken down as all ponies – no – all creatures are brought under the same banner! Death is indifferent, even the powerful will die one day, some sooner, some later, tonight though we speed up the process!”


The mare pushed her glasses up her snout and tried to show a defiant scowl. “T-The P-Princesses will stop you!”


Sombra glanced to the mare and smiled wickedly. “Oh the Princesses? Oh they are the biggest offenders of all to Death, tell me, you look like a learned mare, how do you suppose an alicorn becomes an alicorn?”


The mare thought hard on that question, but though her knowledge was great, the answer did not come to her, or maybe it was because she was being held by a deranged, undead, unicorn king that her mind was not able to bring up the proper answer.


“Give up? They die. The ‘Rite of Ascension’ as they call it. It requires the body of the soon to be alicorn to be completely destroyed and brought back to life through preservation of the soul, and creating a new body for them.” Sombra explained.


The mare’s purple eyes widened with surprise, she never knew this was how alicorns came into being. “B-But if that’s true then…then…”


“Yes, that means all four of this worlds alicorns, Celestia, Luna, Mi Amore Cadenza, and Twilight Sparkle, have all defied Death! And their time will come, very, very soon, but for now, I must break the others,” said Sombra.


Black constructs began to form before him, one was of Queen Lilianna, the other Headwind Zephyr, Alexander Apple and Citrus Mist.


The mare, who wished so badly to retreat into her frumpy sweater, gulped as she looked upon the black light constructs and then to Sombra. “Then…w-w-what do you want me for?”


Sombra smiled as he approached the unicorn mare, making her back up against the wall as he brought a hoof to her cheek. “My dear, you are the most important lynch pin in my plan! You are what I need to bring them all down, Moondancer.”


“H-H-How…? I’m just some pony, I’m nothing special!” Moondancer argued.


“Is that why she never saw you as an equal?”


Moondaner’s eyes widened, she then averted her gaze. “I…I don’t know what you’re talking about.”


“Do you now? How long did you pine or that mare? Matching wits with her, showing your intellectual ability was just as good as hers, and when you opened your heart to her and others, and what did she do?” Sombra asked knowingly.


“It…It wasn’t a big deal, it was just a birthday party, my first…real party that I set up because…”


Sombra’s Spectrum Vision peered into the depths of this mare, different shades of the Emotional Spectrum warred within her, but one was steadily growing brighter among them, red.


“Because?” Sombra urged.


“Because I felt acknowledged, I felt as if I mattered to her, to others! Like I could actually have friends or even…even something more! I put myself out there, and was crushed by HER!” Moondancer admitted with tears in her eyes.


“You were betrayed, forgotten.”


“I was…She left for another place without even so much as a word, and became a Princess! A-And now she’s married! I…I was never even invited or thought about…she forgot all about me like a cheap object…!”


Although Moondancer was crying, it stemmed from anger, the anger of being neglected and forgotten, the fury of feeling like she was less than, and from it sprouted hate.


“Do you hate her? Do you wish to tell her how much she hurt you?” Sombra asked.


Moondancer looked up at the Equestrian Entity of Death, sniffled, and narrowed her eyes. “Yes!”


The red light shined within her, filling Moondancer’s being. With a toothy grin, Sombra’s right hoof was wrapped in a black construct claw. In one swift motion, Sombra thrust that very claw right into Moondancer’s chest.


Moondancer’s let a small whimper passed her lips as the light faded from her eyes.


Sombra retracted his claw and allowed Moondancers’s body to fall to the ground. The beating heart of his victim shined a crimson red before disappearing into particles of that same light. The King of the Undead looked down upon the corpse of the dead mare, opened his maw, and dispelled a stream of black tar that flowed down and into the open wound on her chest.


With a snap of his jaws, Sombra smiled.


“The Blackest Night falls from the skies,


Let us hear your deathly cries.


We’ll twist your souls as your light dies,


By my command the dead shall RISE!”

(Elsewhere)

“Surgarcube, ya really don’t hafta go back,” said Applejack.


“Yeah, Princess Twilight told us to help you, we can’t if you leave,” said Rainbow Dash.


The former Equestrian sighed. “Honestly, girls, thank you. I know you’re trying, and I’m trying. I’ve done a lot of crappy things here, and burned a lot of bridges at the same time. But if you stick around me, as well liked as you five are, they’ll eventually not want you around because of me.”


Rarity walked up to Sunset Shimmer and placed her hands on her shoulders. “But, Darling, is it really the best option? Returning to Equestria? If you give it time we might be able to –”


Sunset Shimmer placed her hands on Rarity’s and smiled sadly. She really did appreciate all the girls were doing for her, even though, yes, Princess Twilight did ask for them to look after her, she could tell that it was done not just out of a sense of duty, but because they genuinely cared about helping her become better.


Unfortunately, the rest of the student body wasn’t as forgiving. Not that she blamed them, they had every right to despise her, she divided them, ruled with fear and all out of some selfish need to be the best and show that there was no one else above her.


Of course that backfired spectacularly.


“Sunset, give us just a teensy bit more time! I know a good ‘I’m Not an Evil Jerk Anymore, Please Forgive Me’ party will work! It has to…” Pinkie stated.


“Sounds nice, Pinkie, but no. A party’s not going to fix this, I don’t think anything can.” Sunset looked behind her and saw the portal ripple like water on the marble surface of the statue. “I doubt it’ll be any easier back home, I’ll essentially be homeless, not a bit to my name, I’ll have to avoid Princess Celestia like the plague, and figure out what to do with the rest of my life as an ex-magical student…yay.”


The five girls didn’t seem all that happy about how Sunset described her life would be upon returning.


“Um…Sunset, it sounds like it would be bad if you went back, I mean…at least you have more support here,” said Fluttershy timidly.


Sunset shrugged. “True, I do, but bigger difference is I’ll have my magic back, and I can get by pretty well with that. If worse comes to worse I could always whore myself out and street walk.”


It was meant as a joke, but the girls seemed to have taken that literally as evidenced by their shocked expressions.


“I’m kidding, guys, seriously, I’d never fall so low as to even consider something like that!” Sunset quickly uttered. “I guess if it got really bad I could just ask Princess Twilight to let me stay with her for a little bit until I get a job or something.”


A collective sigh of relief was released from everyone in attendance. Rainbow Dash crossed her arms, sighing as she looked back on their school. “Still, don’t think you can just leave and forget, you can at least visit us once and awhile, right?”


Sunset gave a small smile. “I’ll try, when the portal opens up next I’ll visit. Promise.”


The girls each gave her a hug, Sunset found the departure hitting her in the heart harder than she thought. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy, she considered these girls her enemies at a time and would not shed a tear if she ever saw them again, now, she was shedding a tear because she wouldn’t see them again for a long while.


With a deep sigh, Sunset turned around to face the statue and walked off, passing through the portal and returning to her homeland…


“Sunset?”


The sun-yellow mare groggily opened her eyes, “Hmm, what’s up, Trix?”


“You were crying in your sleep, Trixie was a little worried is all,” said Trixie.


Sunset opened her eyes she lying across from Trixie, her marefriend of four years, looking deep into those amethyst eyes and admiring that silver starlight mane of hers. “It’s okay, I was just remembering something from my past, some friends I left behind in the other world.”


“Oh yes, the doppelgangers of Twilight Sparkle’s friends. I never quite understood that, can’t you make friends with them here?” Trixie asked.


Sunset chuckled and brought her hoof to rest against Trixie’s cheek. “I could, but it’s not the same, they’re not the same as the ones back in the Parallel World, heck, even you’re double was different.”


Trixie raised an eyebrow at that. “Oh, and pray tell how?”


“Well, she was a bit of boasting showboat.”


“Hmm.”


“She kinda spoke in the third person.”


“Hmmmm.”


“And she had a nice ass.”


“Hmmm – WHAT?!” Trixie asked with wide eyes.


Sunset shrugged and grinned. “Hey, just being honest.”


Trixie’s cheeks puffed up. “Humph, then maybe you prefer that double over me then, since she is obviously the more attractive, and has a ‘nice ass’!”


The fiery haired mare looked like she was deep in thought for a moment, but then scooted closer to her mare and snuck a hoof over Trixie’s cutie mark and gently rubbed at it, causing Trixie to release a cute moan.


“Yeah she did, but yours is way better, plus, I didn’t feel the same way for her as I do for you,” said Sunset in a sultry voice.


Trixie tried to compose herself, but it was proving to be a bit of a struggle. “Y-Your little cutie mark rubs won’t change the sub – Oh yes that feels – I mean – oh dammit all, how do you do that?”


“Do what?”


“Know how to make Trixie into putty in your hooves?”


Sunset leaned forward and planted a kiss on her lover’s lips. “‘Cause I love you, that’s why.”


Suddenly, thunder roared through the sky, causing both mares to sit straight up, lightning flashed following a heavy rainfall. Both mares looked to each other with confusion, it was supposed to be a white Hearths Warming, no rain whatsoever.


Sunset got out of bed and walked towards the window and watched as the heavy rain fell over the city of Fillydelphia. Trixie slowly got out of the bed and stood beside Sunset as she too gazed at the downpour.


“What in the name of Celestia did those pegasi do? It’s supposed to be snowing not storming!” Trixie stated in an irate tone.


“This is unlike the Weather Patrol, they’re usually more on the ball with this stuff,” said Sunset.


The azure unicorn huffed. “It’s going to be a wet and soggy Hearths Warming, and I had planned all kinds of tricks to make use of the snow! Now I have to work out a whole new routine!”


“Don’t worry, I’ll help you out –”


Another crack of lightning cut through sky, making every house shudder from the sheer force of the thunder that followed. In the next moment, all the lights in the city went out at once, and allowing total darkness to befall the city, save for the flashes of lightning.


“Um…Trixie doesn’t think this is just a normal storm,” said Trixie as she cast the illumination spell.


Sunset cast the spell as well, bathing the room in the dual magenta and turquoise aura lights. “This is definitely not a normal storm…”


Both unicorn mares started to see lights shining in other houses, other unicorn citizens were casting illumination spells and scrambling about from the looks of it. Sunset and Trixie spotted more down below in the streets as the Local Guard Militia and Police started to get to work, however, something alarming started to occur.


Sunset noticed it first, it was faint, but there were multiple shadows moving about the storm, and once one of those shadows approached a light, the light was snuffed out. One by one, more and more of those shadows attacked the lights, dwindling the numbers with each passing second.


A flash of lightning streaked through the sky and for a moment allowed them a brief glimpse at what was happening to the lights.


The horrifying truth was revealed as the shadows turned out to be ponies, donned in black uniforms, and attacking the Local Guard and Police ponies. Both mares had the unfortunate displeasure of witnessing one of those keepers of the peace having his heart ripped out as it glowed green.


When the flash ended, Trixie and Sunset backed away from the windows and dimmed their illumination spell considerably as to not be seen. Trixie began to hyperventilate, she just saw a pony get murdered, no, more than one pony was getting murdered on the streets and the culprits were hiding in the shadows in the middle of a blackout.


“We-We need to get out of here! We n-need to get somewhere safe!” Trixie stated in a panic state.


Sunset grabbed her marefriend’s shoulders and looked her in the eyes. “Trixie get a grip right now! We just need to keep our heads straight, there’s a time and place to be afraid but not right now, we need to think clearly, and figure out a plan, okay?”


Trixie looked into Sunset’s eyes, seeing the confidence that was within them eased her fear a bit, allowing her panic ridden mind to settle for a moment. “O-O-Okay, we…we need to block the doors and windows right, we need to secure the house.”


Sunset smiled and kissed Trixie on her brow. “Good girl, let’s get to it.”


Trixie and Sunset used their magic together to move the bed and place it against the window. As stealthily as they could go, both mares made their way through their two story house, closing the blinds, and locking what rooms they could. They didn’t have any planks or tools to keep the doors and windows secured, but Sunset did have a spell.


As they passed by each of the rooms, Sunset would cast a self-sustaining barrier spell, keeping the doors locked and magically protected against almost anything that tried to break it down.


Once they were sure the upstairs was secured, it was time to move onto the downstairs. However, as they were about to head downstairs, there was a sudden crash coming from one of the guest bedrooms. Sunset and Trixie froze, eyes wide with fear as they looked back down the hallway, hearing something moving around in the room.


“We should run!” Trixie whispered urgently.


“If we move too quickly we’ll make too much noise, move back slowly,” said Sunset in a low whisper.


Trixie backed up, looking behind herself to make sure her hind hooves were on the right step, progress was slow as they could only use the dim light of their horns, and one wrong move could cause Trixie to fall and break something.


While Trixie was making her way down to stairs, Sunset stayed at the stop, her eyes darting behind herself to check on Trixie’s progress. While Trixie’s magic was better for illusions and stage performances. Sunset had been teaching Trixie some more advanced spells, but nothing that would help in this situation.


Sunset still knew how to cast magic bolts, teleport, form defensive barriers, and create delayed trap spells. The former was part of her curriculum under Princess Celestia for self-defense purposes, the latter was something she learned on her own.


Speaking of which, Sunset went to work on the hallway. She had already placed several along the hallway, magical circles appearing and disappearing as the traps were laid. Sunset glanced over her shoulder yet again and noticed that Trixie had finally made it to the bottom of the stairs and was frantically awaiting her to follow.


With great care, Sunset took one step back. When her hoof landed on the first step, an incriminating “creeeeeeeeeeeeeak” sound went off in the otherwise quiet house, and somehow echoed in an unnatural, almost horror movie cliché way. Trixie and Sunset’s hearts nearly stopped at that moment.


The rustling inside the room ceased, and what next was a loud bang against the door. The banging continued again, and again, until an ax made of black light smashed through the door and at the same time, Sunset’s barrier.


With wide eyes Sunset beheld the intruder as it walked out of the doorway. It was an Earth pony stallion, with a green coat and a gray beard and mane, although both were dulled as if the life had been drained from them. His eyes were but pools of tar with white, glowing dots that acted as the eyes.


“Mr. Timber?!” Sunset shouted in shock.


“Mr. Timber? The logger? Is that who it is?!” Trixie asked.


{My dear, so glad I didn’t miss ya! Come here and let an old man spin ya a yarn!}


Sunset stamped her hoof and glared at the old pony. “Stop right there! I don’t know what’s going on, but whatever dark spell you’re under, you need to fight it!”


Mr. Timber thought about it for a moment but then shrugged. {Unfortunately, lassie, there ain’t no spell, I’m just deader than a doornail!}


Mr. Timber lunged forward, bringing his black construct ax to bear for an attack. But in doing so triggered Sunset’s trap. A magic circle appeared under Mr. Timber, mana in the form of lightning rose up from the circle and dragged the undead stallion to the floor.


“Binding Circle, it’s a mid-level spell that will keep you there until I say otherwise,” said Sunset.


{Ya think so lass? ‘Fraid I’ll have to disappoint you on that one!}


The black ax rose and struck the floor, slicing through the circle and disrupting the magical energies that comprised it. The binding energy released Mr. Timber and once again he lunged for Sunset. But another trap activated, this time creating a wall made of pure, hardened mana.


Mr. Timber was going full speed when he was flying towards her, so when Mr. Timber hit the wall, he did so at full speed, breaking his neck and making the sound audible.


Sunset cringed and shuddered at the sound, but she had to stay strong, he was already dead, he said so. Besides, he broke his neck, all those zombie movies back on Earth showed you had to either cut off the head or essentially sever the spinal cord, i.e. breaking the neck.


The sun yellow mare turned around and prepared to head downstairs, but then she heard something striking the mana wall. Sunset turned around and watched as the black construct ax chopped away at her spell, again.


“WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!” Sunset shouted.


Forgetting trying to reason with a walking corpse, Sunset dashed downstairs and let the rest of the trap spells slow him down.


“Sunset, what the Tartarus is going on?!” Trixie asked.


“Undead, zombie apocalypse, the end of the world, take your pick! All I know is we need to get out of here…uh…uh…TWILIGHT! We should head to Twilight’s Castle!” Sunset decided.


“I like that plan!”


An explosion went off upstairs, making Trixie cringe, not so much for the undead pony, Mr. Timber, but for the house. Four years of being together, and two of those spent in Trixie’s trailer, and the latter two having made enough money to buy a house and live like a proper couple. Now…they’re home was being torn apart.


With a sad sigh, Trixie followed Sunset. They’re only hope at this time was that the train station was still operating, being coal powered, the train did not rely on electricity, so it could theoretically get a move on to Ponyville station.


With that plan in mind, Sunset and Trixie charged out of their home of two years and into the miserable night. All around them they could hear the chaos of ponies screaming, explosions, glass shattering, wood splintering, and bricks breaking. Mr. Timber was not the only undead pony it appeared, but merely one of many as the city was under siege.


“Why is this happening?!” Trixie asked.


“Don’t know, keep running!” Sunset yelled.


Unfortunately, due to the darkness, and the continuous rainfall, Trixie and Sunset were forced to cast their illumination spell at a brighter setting, making it easier for them to see in the dark, but also acted as a beacon for the undead to pick them off.


Sunset remained vigilant the whole way, when she saw a zombie getting closer to them, she’d quickly fire a magic bolt at their heads. Normally most ponies would go for a body shot, but Sunset was deadly accurate, hitting each one that dared to come at them.


These zombies don’t act like the normal movie kind, hitting them in the head just slows them down or at most pisses them off! It must be some sort of necromantic magic, forbidden magic!


“DUCK!” Trixie shouted.


Sunset looked ahead as a pegasus mare came swooping in with a claw construct to take Sunset’s head. Luckily, Trixie’s warning came at the right moment, prompting the fiery maned mare to drop to the ground. But then she remembered that Trixie was right behind her.


Before Sunset could shout back to her, a bolt of magenta light fired overhead and struck the pegasus mare in the chest, sending her flying in the opposite direction and into a shop window. Sunset turned and stared with pride at her marefriend, who was now panting, her face trying to make up its mind between joy and terror.


“You actually cast a magic bolt spell?!” Sunset remarked.


“T-Trixie said she was great and powerful,” said Trixie in trembling voice.


Sunset quickly enveloped her marefriend in a tight hug, both happy that she saved her life, and beaming with pride that she learned an advanced spell in just a short amount of time. “Yes you are, now come on!”

It took some time and luck, but eventually Sunset and Trixie made it to the station, and it appeared that they weren’t the only ones with the same idea. Many Local Guard and Police ponies had erected a barrier around the train station, trying to keep out as many of the undead as they could while allowing the refugees to get in.


Both mares galloped as fast as they could to the barrier, but were stopped when a blast of dark light hit the road behind them and exploded, sending the two unicorns flying into the air. They hit the ground hard, rolling on the asphalt until they finally came to a stop.


Trixie groaned and whimpered in pain, her vision was blurry for a moment but eventually came back. Her eyes darted around and eventually landed on the still body of her marefriend. Trixie crawled her way to Sunset, and quickly began to shake her.


“Sunset please wake up, we need to go we’re almost there!”


Just then, Trixie heard a hiss of some unearthly creature behind her. The azure mare turned and watched as five zombies stalked towards them, Trixie tried to concentrate, tried to form a barrier to protect them. But her fear idled mind was preventing this from happening. Trixie shut her eyes and covered Sunset with her body. No…This can’t be…Trixie just found somepony as great and powerful – even more so – than herself! We can’t die here…not like this!


One of the five zombies jumped up and was about to pounce, but then, the sound of thunder echoed in the air. Trixie opened her eyes and beheld a large, muscular stallion, clad in armor from head to hoof. His helm had a spike on it, and was glowing, a giveaway to this pony’s tribe.


Held within the magical aura, was a six foot sledge hammer, but modified with a magical glyph written on it. The glowing white eyes of the pony’s helm looked down upon both mares, a snort was released and in the cold air of the night appeared as a fog.


“Can she stand?” the armored pony asked.


“I…I don’t know, she’s not moving, or anything!” Trixie shouted.


“Try, we need to get into the barrier! I’ll hold them off!”


“Wait, who are you?!” Trixie asked.


The armored stallion glanced over his shoulder to the azure mare. “Call me…Steel.”


Steel looked back to the Black Lanterns that were cautiously, surrounding him. The pegasus he had bashed in the head with his hammer was taking some time to regenerate, making them aware that this pony had some kind magic that disrupted them.


An old mare charged for Steel, forming construct claws to tear at his armor. But the moment she made contact, the claws cracked. Steel whirled around smashed the hammer in her face, sending the old mare flying over the building. Two more tried to attack, firing black beams at him.


With amazing agility, Steel jumped back and sidestepped each blast. Steel twirled his hammer around and pointed it at the two zombie ponies. The business end of the weapon began to glow red hot with stored power, until, with a flash of the spike horn, a glyph formed at the end of the hammer and released a molten beam of red, yellow, and white.


The superheated beam blazed through the street, turning the asphalt into tar and instantly evaporating the rainwater that fell. The two Black Lanterns were enveloped by that molten beam and burned until only their black essence was left.


The beam of superheat incidentally created a dense fog due to the rapid rate the water was vaporized, providing cover for the armored hero.


The remaining Black Lanterns used its Spectrum Vision to find their enemy, it spotted Trixie, a glow of indigo was oddly growing inside her, but the mare next to her was glowing yellow, with a tinge of black. However, at the last second, the agent of darkness spotted a glimmer of green and that glimmer was above him.


Steel had jumped into the air, spun once, and fell to the ground, bringing down his hammer straight on top of the remaining Black Lantern, and striking with a resounding, thunderous BOOM.


The impact of the hammer sent a small shockwave that momentarily pushed the rain water away from them. Steel narrowed his gaze at the corpse and made his way back to the two mares he had helped.


“They won’t be down for long we need –”


“STEEL, BEHIND YOU!” Trixie shouted.


The armored stallion whirled around just in time to intercept a black construct ax, and behind that ax with a manically grinning Mr. Timber.


{Am back lassies!}


“You’ve got to be kidding me,” said Steel.


{Oh now, that voice sounds familiar, have we met before lad?!} Mr. Timber asked.


Steel and Mr. Timber broke off and went into a full on duel, ax and hammer clashing and generating powerful shockwaves with each strike.


Meanwhile Trixie was trying to awaken her love, but noticed something once turning her. A long piece of asphalt had pierced Sunset’s side, and it was bleeding.


“No…No this can’t be happening…”


*cough*


“Sunset?!”


The sun yellow mare woozily raised her head, coughing, and spitting up blood each time, leaving the aftertaste of iron in her mouth. “Ah crap…that’s not good, is it?”


“You…No…! Trixie refuses to let you go, we just need to make it to that barrier, there has to be a doctor in there!”


Sunset smiled at her marefriend and raised her hoof to her cheek. “Trixie, you can’t worry about me…you have to live, I’ve done some awful things and…this is karma I guess. I’m glad I had these four years with you. So glad…”


“No…No…No!” Trixie carefully took Sunset into her arms, and held her close. “You are not the only one who has done awful things! But you are the one who has helped Trixie to care, to want to be better and help others and bring them entertainment, to feel fulfilled in seeing the happy looks on their faces! Trixie would have never have become what she is now without you! You…You complete me!”


Trixie looked into the turquoise eyes of her lover, which were now shedding tears.


“And that is why you will not die, whatever powers that be, I’d rather tried my life for yours!”


Suddenly, an indigo light shot down from the sky gaining the attention of the Black Lanterns and escaping ponies. The light blazed a trail all the way until it reached Trixie.


[Trixie Lulamoon of Equus, you have the ability to feel great compassion. Once one who only cared for themselves, has now found joy in caring for others. For one who once held a grudge, now feels remorse. You who care for others, and for those you truly love, will you accept the power of Compassion’s light?]


Trixie looked to Sunset, and then back to the bracer, her choice was clear. “I do!”


The bracer latched onto Trixie’s left foreleg and immediately infused her with the indigo light of Compassion. Trixie’s magician’s cloak appeared around her, but instead of its normal star pattern it bared the tribal markings of the Indigo Tribe. Trixie’s chest was clothed in a simple indigo cloth, along with her left foreleg, and both hind legs.


Finally Trixie’s magician’s hat appeared, bearing the symbol of the indigo light of Compassion, and a staff formed, like a long wizard’s staff it was made of wood. At the tip of the staff was a hollowed out star with the glow of indigo light inside of it.


“T…Trixie?” Sunset asked.


Trixie could feel it, she could feel all kinds of emotional energies. Fear was the strongest, it presided in everypony here, Willpower practically flowed off of Steel as he battled Mr. Timber, and there was Love, Fear, and…Death coming from Sunset Shimmer.


The bracer on Trixie’s foreleg pulsed, as if instructing her what to do. “Hold still, Sunset.”


Sunset nodded.


Trixie placed her right hoof on Sunset’s side, immediately a wave of indigo light washed over her. The shrapnel was dislodged and the wound began to close rapidly. All the pain in Sunset’s body vanished and her reserves of strength were fully restored. When Trixie removed her hoof, she struck the butt of her staff against the ground and spoke one word, “Nok.”


Sunset sprang to her hooves feeling rejuvenated, better than when they started out. “Trixie…babe, how did you do that?!”


“I…I don’t know, I just listened to the power and it told me how to heal you,” said Trixie, feeling overjoyed that her marefriend was alright.


Another resounding strike echoed behind them, drawing the attention of both mares as Steel continued to do battle with Mr. Timber.


The bracer pulsated once again. “Sunset, get to the barrier, I need to help Steel!”


“But Trixie!”


The azure mare gave Sunset a serious look. “I won’t lose you again!”


Trixie struck the ground with her staff and both were gone in a puff of purple smoke. In the next moment, Sunset found herself alone, on the other side of the magical barrier and with a lot of ponies looking at her. Sunset looked around and watched as Trixie flew towards Steel.


The symbol of Willpower appeared at the center of her staff, tuning into the emotional energy Steel was putting out. From Trixie’s bracer, she fired a beam of emerald light that struck the ground and parted both Steel and Mr. Timber.


Trixie floated next to Steel, who eyed his new partner. “Hmm, seems you got some tricks up your sleeve there, Miss.”


“The Great and Compassionate Trixie thanks you for the compliment, but now we must attend to him,” said Trixie.


Mr. Timber grinned again, but soon the other Black Lanterns began to rise up again, making the odds not so much in their favor.


Several of the reformed Black Lanterns cried out as they began their assault. Trixie concentrated, channeling the emerald light and fired multiple beams of green light straight into the incoming undead. Many were immobilized or just grazed, but for those that got too close, Steel stepped in, swinging his mighty hammer and sending them flying away.

Meanwhile, Sunset was watching this with a growing anxiety, she hated feeling powerless to help her lover, but right now she needed to know what was going on.


Sunset ran into the station, there were many ponies clamoring and yelling for the train to get ready, several of the workers were trying to get the train ready, but the constant yelling of the crowd and their collective fear was not helping matters.


The fiery maned mare searched around for the any Local Guard or Police pony. “Who’s in charge here!?” she cried.


“In charge?” A Guard stated. “We’re just trying to keep this barrier up so we can all get out of here!”


“You’ve got to be kidding me,” said Sunset.


The entire thing was chaos, and nopony was directing it. Sunset looked about, finally settling on the train itself, she used her magic to jump all the way up until she was standing atop one of the cars. Sunset channeled her magic to amplify her voice, as well as to make her aura flare up. With a booming voice, Sunset shouted, “WILL YOU PONIES GET A GRIP!!!”


Everypony stopped and looked up at the yellow mare, who was now flaring with magical power.


“WE NEED ORDER OR WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ESCAPE THIS PLACE ALIVE! LET THE PONIES WORKING ON THE TRAIN DO THEIR JOB, EVERPONY ELSE SHOULD HELP WHERE THEY CAN, AND START FILING INTO THE TRAIN CARS IN AN ORDERLY FASHION!”


A unicorn mare gave an indignant look to Sunset. “And why the hay should we do what you say?! You’re not a Guard or Cop!”


The crowd followed behind what she said, now questioning who Sunset was to order them around.


A flash of turquoise mana erupted from Sunset, and in a flash she disappeared and reappeared right in front of her. “We’re in the middle of siege by the living dead, and all you ponies are doing is yelling and panicking! If anypony else would like to take charge, if there is somepony more qualified then please, by all means, SPEAK UP!”


Not a single pony dared to speak up. Sunset Shimmer did not like inspiring fear, but at this point there was too much of it overtaking their minds, so she replaced that fear by taking charge, channeling her former bad girl self. These ponies needed someone to lead them, and right now Sunset deemed herself that pony, she didn’t them to like her, but at this point, so long as they respected and feared her, it was enough to ensure their survival.


A yellow star descended down from the sky, piercing the barrier and stopping before Sunset Shimmer.


[Sunset Shimmer of Equus, you have the ability to instill great fear. Once you wielded its power to inspire terror, to rule. But now you recognize the duality of Fear, how it can be used to bring order to the unorderly. Will you accept this power?]


Sunset looked back to her marefriend and Steel, who were valiantly combatting the Black Lanterns, and surprisingly, Mr. Timber was still kicking around.


“If it’ll help them, yes!”


The bracer quickly latched itself onto Sunset’s left foreleg, immediately she felt a rush of power as black chainmail mesh covered her body, followed yellow armor plates, and the symbol of Fear burning on her chest plate. It was all flowing into her, the fear of the ponies around her, it fed into her, making her stronger.


“Do as I said, help those workers and get on the train!” Sunset ordered.


The fiery maned mare wasted little time, using the power of the bracer to levitate herself up and fly towards the battle. A zombie unicorn stallion was about to attack Steel from behind, but Sunset fired a beam of yellow light from her bracer that struck the undead pony and blasted it apart. Steel looked behind himself to bash whatever it was but paused upon seeing Sunset Shimmer.


“Huh, seems like everypony’s gettin’ one of those fancy bracers,” said Steel.


“Sunset, you too?!” Trixie asked astonished.


Sunset held up her left foreleg and smirked. “Couldn’t let you guys have all the fun.”


A Black Lantern Earth pony mare came barreling towards them, wielding a lance made of black light. Sunset and Trixie turned just in time to face the attacker, pointed their bracers, and fired. Trixie’s power still channeled the green light of Willpower, which then intertwined with the yellow light to form a double helix beam. The two beams struck the mare and completely, and utterly destroyed it, not even the black ichor was left.


Trixie and Sunset glanced to each other as a thought passed through their minds.


“You thinking what I’m thinking, babe?” Sunset asked.


“Let’s do it,” said Trixie. “Steel watch our backs!”


“No prob,” said Steel.


Trixie and Sunset began wielding their lights in unison, firing beams of yellow and green at the Black Lanterns that were swarming the barrier, each shot destroying them on the spot. Some tried to get close to the two mares, but Steel made sure they were punished by swiftly striking them with his sledge hammer, or firing a molten beam to clear some room.


Multiple beams were fired in all directions of the joint Fear and Willpower lights, dwindling the numbers of the Black Lanterns considerably.


{Ya damned little witches! I’ll cleave ya in half!} Mr. Timber shouted.


Sunset and Trixie turned around to see Mr. Timber brandishing his ax and about to strike, however, a molten beam fired from down below, making the stallion stop and look down at the armored stallion with venom in his gaze.


{I’ll be lookin’ forward to peelin’ that fancy tin off yer body!} Mr. Timber threatened.


“NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!” Trixie shouted.


Without realizing it, Sunset and Trixie had closed the distance between Mr. Timber and themselves with a quick teleportation. The two unicorns cocked back their hooves and struck Mr. Timber right in his chest, the dual lights of Fear and Willpower burned at his being, making him cry out in agony. This lasted for a good five seconds before Mr. Timber was completely destroyed.


Trixie and Sunset panted from the effort, and after, a tear fell from Trixie’s eyes. Mr. Timber was a kind pony, an old logger who would cut firewood in the winter and help out in the field during the spring. “He was such a kind old stallion…” Trixie whispered.


Sunset floated over to Trixie and held her shoulders. “I know…we’ll make the ones responsible for this pay.”


Steel walked over to the two mares who were slowly floating down to him. Taking a moment to mourn the loss of the old stallion. “I’d say we need a moment of silence for old Mr. Timber, but that’s best done in a safe environment.”


Sunset and Trixie nodded to Steel, and the three of them headed towards the train. Once inside the barrier, Trixie and Sunset ordered the Local Guard to release the shield as they created their own, a spiral barrier made of both the emerald light of Willpower and the golden light of Fear. The dual light barrier worked perfectly, any Black Lantern that dared approach it was instantly vaporized.


Both mares took position atop the train, along with Steel keeping watch at the back. When the conductor got everypony aboard he then asked, “Where are we going?!”


“To Ponyville, we need to meet up with Princess Twilight,” said Sunset.


The stallion didn’t argue with that, seeking refuge with one of the Princesses was a safe bet, and the town was not that far.


I just hope she’s having better luck, thought Sunset.

(In another village)

In a small village, practically out in the middle of nowhere, lived a community of ponies who, strangely enough, bared the same cutie mark, and it was an equal sign. This village was led by a unicorn mare, wielding a magical staff that could remove a pony’s cutie mark, and grant them equality in her village. Her name was Starlight Glimmer, and she was here to bring harmony.


Cutie marks were evil, they only served to show who was above another, a special talent more special than the other and making those ponies feel inadequate and inferior to others. But not in her town, no, in her town everypony was the same, they worked as one, they lived as one. Equality for all, only one led, but even so, she bared the cutie mark of the equal sign. Showing her own commitment to her cause.


But none of them knew the truth, and why would they? They were devoted to her, they believed in her.


However, tonight, all that she created, was falling apart around Starlight.


It was a typical Hearths Warming Eve, same as always. The foals and adults sang in perfect harmony, singing the carols that been passed down from one generation to the next. However, Starlight loathed Hearths Warming.


“So in impractical…singing and love beating back spirits of hate,” Starlight snorted in at the notion, “pure nonsense.”


Starlight looked out her window and saw those happy faces on her followers, normally they were always smiling, but she could tell that this was less forced than usual.


“Well, if it can make them more complacent later on then why not let them.”


Starlight knew this, she was playing the long game, she needed her village to grow, for her followers to spread the word of Equality, and bring others to her ranks. The lilac mare sighed and decided to take a warm shower, so that she may think.


Using her magic, Starlight turned the knobs and waited for the warm water to flow out, creating a welcoming steam that chased the cold away. Once she stepped in, Starlight sat down on her haunches and let the water cascade over her body, which amazingly enough, erased the equal sign cutie mark, revealing something else. A pink spark with a wispy azure trail coming from the top.


Starlight glanced down at her flanks, noticing the paint job she did to mask her real cutie mark was washing away. It didn’t matter though, she was in her home, in her shower, nopony would see her. Still that didn’t stop the cold chill of fear from running up her spine, should they find out her secret, that it was not her driftwood staff, but her own power that allowed her to steal cutie marks, and that she still had her own, it would destroy her plans, her happiness.


Right now they had been able to avoid the gaze of the Princesses, but Starlight knew that would not last forever. Soon they would be found out, but until then they needed more, more followers, more believers in the cause of Equality. Cutie marks were evil, she needed other ponies to see that, they divided ponies.


“Sunburst…” Starlight sniffled. “Why should I care about him…he left me alone, and all because of that damned cutie mark…we were perfectly happy, we were best friends and then…!”


Starlight’s horn flashed, and a crack formed on the tile in the shower. The unicorn mare took a few calming breaths. Her magic was tied to her emotions, this she figured out long ago. It gave her great power, but it she was not careful, she could accidentally cast a spell and hurt somepony.


“It’ll be fine, Starlight, you’ll be fine.”


The lilac mare finished up her shower and wrapped a towel around her midsection, hiding her flanks to ensure that nopony would see her secret.


*knock*


*knock*


Starlight’s heart jumped and gave a light shrill. “W-Who is it?!”


“Um…It’s Double Diamond, Night Glider wanted to speak to you Starlight.”


Starlight panicked, her fur was still wet, and the paint she used wouldn’t stick if she did it now. Thinking quickly, Starlight threw off the towel and picked out a plain gray bathrobe, making sure first that the length was long enough to cover both her flanks. Once she done that, Starlight slowly made her way downstairs and said, “Send her in please.”


Double Diamond opened the door to Starlight’s home, and Night Glider, the navy blue, white maned pegasus mare, entered the home. “H-Hello Starlight, oh ponyfeathers did I come at bad time…?”


Starlight gave a light chuckle. “Heavens no, I just got out of the shower is all.”


“Well…I could come back later, give you time to dry up.”


I would love for you to do that, but I’d rather get whatever business you have out of the way so I don’t worry about you coming back!


“No, no, it’s fine. Unless of course,” Starlight shot Night Glider a sultry gaze, “seeing me in a bathrobe makes you feel uncomfortable?”


Night Glider gulped and shook her head, her darker toned coat revealing the red tint of her cheeks. “No, no way, I’m totally not!”


Poor thing, she’s a bad liar.


Starlight knew that Night Glider had a thing for mares, Starlight herself didn’t care much about the gender as she was into both. However, knowing the preference of Night Glider helped with making her complacent.


“So, then, what can I do for you on this lovely day?” Starlight asked.


Night Glider walked further into the house and sat on her haunches in the living room. “Well…Starlight…I-I’ve been having those urges again…”


Starlight raised an eyebrow at that. “‘Urges’? Please be specific, I can think of several things that could mean without context.”


Night Glider’s face heated up again, apparently her mind went to the gutter. “NO, NO, NO, not those kind of urges! I-I meant…I…oh jeez…”


Starlight sighed, deciding to take pity on the pegasus mare and walked to her. She sat before Night Glider and brought her gaze to meet her own. “Night Glider, when have I ever made it hard for you, or anypony, to come and talk to me? I’m here to help, and I can’t if I don’t know what’s wrong. So don’t hold back, tell me.”


The navy blue pegasus took a deep breath. “I…I’ve been feeling like going to see my cutie mark – I’m sorry!”


Night Glider shut her eyes tight, preparing for whatever tirade Starlight was going to give her.


You ungrateful little bitch! You were committed to the cause of spreading Equality, and willingly gave your cutie mark up, and now you have the nerve to ask me if you can see it?!


“Why are you scrunching your eyes shut? You look like you’re about to get hit or something,” said Starlight.


“I-I’m sorry, Starlight, I just…I know we chose to give up our cutie marks, but…” Night Glider hung her head low, her ears drooping against her head. “I’m sorry for being so weak.”


Starlight quelled the anger inside herself, she had to be lenient, but firm. “Night Glider, I know it’s hard, it was hard for me to give up my cutie mark as well. Do you know what my special talent was?”


Night Glider looked up to Starlight and shook her head.


“Magic, I was good at magic, very good. I was weaving spells like nopony’s business, I learned so fast that I was pushed ahead of the rest! Until…I realized, when I took a moment to look back on those ponies behind me, their looks of jealousy, of anger and hate, of despise.”


“I mean…why did they hate me? It was my special talent, I was only doing what my mark says I was good at, just like everypony else. My so called ‘friends’ abandoned me, they couldn’t stand how good I was, and even shunned my help to get them higher.”


Night Glider looked back up at Starlight with intrigue. “I…I never knew that. What happened?”


“I tried to be the same as them, I tried to keep my grades low, on purpose, so that I was even with my friends, I thought I could be with them again if I was more like them, but that was a false dream. They used that time to pass me, toting themselves as better than me, and I let them, because I honestly thought I would be their friend. And in the end they still shunned me…”


A small tear left Starlight’s eye. Some truth was sprinkled into that lie, except it was one pony who shunned and left her alone. Night Glider raised her right wing and used her feathers to gently brush away the tear, smiling up at Starlight. Strangely enough, Starlight felt a bit of comfort from this.


“Anyway, I made the realization, that nopony is truly equal. And to be truly equal all parties must be the same, no special talents to get in the way of true friendship, and no barriers from status. So when I found the Staff of Sameness, I did the only thing I could do. I removed my cutie mark, and hid it away someplace not even I can remember anymore. But that’s when I knew I had to spread this message, surely there were other ponies who felt the same, have lost friends because they thought they were above the rest, when really, but they didn’t think that all.”


Night Glider nodded, she knew exactly how that felt. She was unmatched in night flying, her keen eyes could spot objects in the dark practically as good as a griffon, not only that, but she was an excellent flyer, with sharp reflexes and senses. However, her friends in Cloudsdale didn’t see her in the same light as she saw them. While she was getting praised left and right from the flying instructors, she was getting called names and shunned by other ponies. She had finally had enough, and found her way to Starlight’s village, and joined her flock.


“I’ll never betray you like that, Starlight, forgive me for asking such a stupid question,” said Night Glider.


“Sometimes we just need a little reassurance once and awhile. I’m glad to have this talk with you Ni –”


Without warning, Night Glider leaned forward and kissed Starlight on the lips. Part of Starlight’s mind was screaming out as to how Night Glider had the audacity to kiss her like this, and the other part of her mind began to enjoy this. Possibly, more than enjoy. It had been a long time since Starlight had known the company of a mare or stallion in her bed, and truthfully, Night Glider was a mare she had her eye on for some time.


Night Glider parted from Starlight’s lips, her face burning red from her action. “I’ll go and make my way to the Reeducation House now…”


As Night Glider turned around, she felt a tug at her tail and noticed that Starlight’s azure aura had taken hold of it. “Uh-uh, Miss Glider, you don’t just kiss me and think you can leave, that easily.”


Night Glider gulped.


With another tug, Starlight brought the pegasus mare with her upstairs. She opened the door to her bedroom and directed Night Glider to sit on the bed. Starlight used her telekinetic spell to take out a black piece of cloth and wrap it around Night Glider’s eyes, and then closed the curtains to her room.


“S-Starlight…?”


“Shh, you don’t mind do you, I’m a bit shy in the bedroom, I’m afraid,” said Starlight.


Night Glider gulped, again. “N-No, Starlight, it’s fine.”


“Good,” Starlight undid her robe and let it fall to the floor, “I assume you know your way around a mare’s body.”

(Hours Later)

Starlight laid awake in the darkness of her room, Night Glider was sleeping next to her, curled up against next to her and still wearing the blindfold. She thought about her actions, every mare had needs and she did satisfy them, but then again, Night Glider was a bit of a different sort. In all honesty, she was the first of her followers that she even opened up to. At least partially.


Maybe I should take on a partner…I never made any such rules preventing mares getting married, if we are all equal, then we are equally able to choose who we have as a wife or husband.


Starlight sighed. It was a nice dream, but one that she probably could not entertain beyond a night of passion. And the reason was imprinted on her flanks. Every day would have her on constant edge, fearing that she may be discovered one day. Alone, in her house, she could walk around as she pleased without hiding her mark. With Night Glider living with her, she’d have to be on guard to not let her mark be seen.


Then again, maybe it’s time I tell somepony. If I work it in such way as to make her understand why the Staff of Sameness wouldn’t work on me, then I could keep her close and not have to worry. Then again there’s also that Geass spell…but best to save it for a rainy day.


Just then, a roar of thunder snapped Starlight out of her thoughts and back to reality. Apparently the thunder didn’t bother Night Glider so much as she was still asleep. The lilac mare got out of her bed and walked towards the window, parting the curtains just enough to look outside. It was there she saw a torrential downpour of black rain, staining the very snow. Such a thing was perplexing, as Hearths Warming Eve never saw rain showers, always snow and cold.


Starlight squinted her eyes as she saw something walking down the street of her town, a pony, she couldn’t make out if it was a mare or stallion, or what tribe it was. It was clad in black that much she could tell, making it hard for Starlight to keep an eye on it. It wasn’t odd to have the occasional traveler, but on Hearths Warming it was really unusual. As most ponies stuck to their hometowns where their families were.


A flash of lightning went off and the dark clothed pony dashed into a nearby house. Starlight’s eyes went wide with worry, somepony was breaking into one of her follower’s homes, there were ponies with foals, families, and she couldn’t let them be hurt. Starlight was about to run out and alert the town, but then remembered when she glanced to her dresser mirror, she hadn’t masked her cutie mark.


No time, I’ll just use some spell to erase their memories.


Starlight stepped into her hallway and cast her teleportation spell. She knew the exact position of each house in the town, which made teleporting into their houses easy enough.


In a flash of azure light, Starlight reappeared in the house. It was pitch black, with only the pitter pattering of the heavy rainfall, coupled with the howling wind and thunder as the only sounds to be heard. Brief flashes of lightning granted her momentary views of the room, she couldn’t see a thing, nor hear anypony. Starlight cast a spell over her eyes, granting her temporary night vision. The darkness of the room faded away, allowing Starlight’s eyes to pierce the darkness and see what was hidden, and she wished she hadn’t.


A young colt was cowering in the corner of the room, while his mother was on the bed, with the intruder standing over her. Starlight looked closer, and noticed that the pony had a strange black claw that tore something out, it looked like a beating heart, but it was colored blue.


The intruder seemed too preoccupied with his victim to have noticed Starlight, but that would not last for long. Starlight could tell that the colt saw her. She quickly waved her hoof to usher the boy to her while the monster did not notice. Despite the fact that his mother was just killed, she made sure that the foals were taught to look to Starlight in times of need, so it did not take the colt long to make up his mind as he crawled to Starlight, as quietly as he could.


{The Blackest Night falls from the skies,


Let us hear your deathly cries!}


Both Starlight and the colt looked to the intruder.


{We’ll twist your souls as your light dies,


By Sombra’s command the dead shall RISE!}


The intruder opened its mouth and released black tar from its mouth, the sight of it almost made Starlight throw up herself, thankfully the colt couldn’t see as clearly as she could, otherwise he’d have froze right then and there.


The young unicorn colt finally made it to Starlight, who quickly took the foal into her foreleg and held him close. She then turned to the monster and glared angrily at it.


How dare you kill one of my followers and leave this poor boy motherless! Vile creature, I’ll make you pay.


“Sweetie,” Starlight whispered, “keep your eyes shut, Ms. Starlight’s going to take care of that monster, okay?”


The boy nodded and screwed his eyes shut.


Starlight’s horn began to glow bright, a spiral of mana swirled around her horn until, the light wrapped around her horn and Starlight fired a beam of pure magical energy at the monster striking it in the side and piercing all the way through. The sheer force of the blast sent the monster flying off the bed and hit the wall with a strong THUD.


“Nopony hurts my friends,” said Starlight.


Just then the Earth pony mare who was assaulted began to convulse and shudder, a black uniform began to form over her body, as the color of her coat and mane dulled, well more than usual. The colt’s mother opened her eyes, and to Starlight’s shock her eyes were like darkness, with a dim light shining from it.


{Oh baby, Momma’s alright, Miss Starlight took care of the mean pony,} said the mare.


The colt heard his mother’s voice and immediately broke away from Starlight’s grasp to rush to her, shouting, “MOMMY!”


Through the mare’s Spectrum Vision, she could see it, the violet light of Love shined in his body, love for her. She spared Starlight a quick glance, and saw a dual glow of Compassion and Rage.


“NO DON’T!” Starlight cried.


But it was too late, a black construct tentacle formed from the mare’s back and lashed out like a cobra. The tendril pierced the colt’s chest all the way through, taking with it his heart which was glowing a violet-pink color. The heart disappeared into particles of that light as the tendril brought the colt’s body back to his mother.


{Don’t worry dear, we’ll be together in a moment…The Blackest Night falls from the skies…}


“No…No….NO!” Starlight yelled as she ran out of the house and stumbled into the streets. She tripped on the soggy ground and slid to a stop, her coat becoming muddied all over. “EVERYPONY WAKE UP, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!”


Candle lights flickered on in the houses, followed by the villagers coming out of their homes. Starlight, not really caring about how to explain, she quickly erected a barrier around the house, capturing the undead inside.


Double Diamond was the first to get to Starlight, his worry evident after seeing her disheveled state. “Starlight, what happened?!”


“Something…Something attacked them…I went to investigate, but she was already dead! I got the pony who did it, but then…she…she got back up, and she killed her own child!” Starlight yelled.


The ponies in the town began to murmur with panic, Double Diamond saw this and yelled back at them, “Calm down everypony, don’t start to panic! Starlight, what do you want us to do?”


“We…We need to leave, now! I’m not sure if that intruder was by himself, if he’s not then we’re in danger! Everypony gather at my house I know a way to –!”


{Miss Starlight.}


Everypony turned around and saw the mother and son standing outside of their home, right at the edge of Starlight’s barrier.


{I want to play with my friends, can we come out,} the colt asked.


It was clear for ponies to see that something was wrong with them, they were not themselves. Starlight stood up and faced the monsters that were once alive. “You’re not coming out of there, whatever you are, you’re not the ponies you once were!”


{Oh given it rest your self-righteous bitch.}


The villagers and Starlight gazed to the rooftop, to the pony who was cloaked that Starlight thought she had killed. The pony removed her cloak, which turned out to be nothing more than a construct of black light, and revealed Indigo Zap.


{This town now belongs to King Sombra, Lord of the Undead, the Entity of Death!}


Indigo Zap jumped up and formed two black construct swords to her hooves. With one swift strike, Indigo sliced through the barrier as if it were wet tissue paper, bringing the whole thing down around them. The mother and son zombies charged into the crowd, immediately honing in on those with lights strong enough to rip out the hearts from.


Indigo wasted little time as well, finding those who shined bright with a single light and then diving down like a bird of prey to attack them.


Starlight didn’t know what to do to stop them, she shot the pegasus mare earlier right in her side all the way through, a shot that would’ve killed any other pony.


“RALLY TO MY HOUSE, HURRY!”


Indigo Zap heard her and smiled wickedly. {Oh don’t think you’re going anywhere!}


The Black Lantern Lieutenant struck the muddy ground and channeled her black light through it. The earth rumbled violently and within a matter of seconds a giant black construct cage formed around them, encompassing half the town and capturing all of them. The ponies who Indigo killed, along with the ones the mother and son killed, began to rise up, donned in the same uniform as Indigo Zap.


Starlight looked about, trying to find the ponies that were closest to her. One was a pink unicorn mare, she knew this pony by the name of Sugar Belle. The other was a gray-blue stallion, who went by the name of Party Favor. Lastly, her right hoof pony, the white Earth pony stallion, Double Diamond. Starlight quickly used her telekinetic spell and wrapped all three them in it, and drew them close to her. In a matter of seconds, all four of them were teleported out of the cage.

Starlight reappeared inside the living room of her house, with Double Diamond, Party Favor, and Sugar Belle stumbling about, woozy from the teleportation. Without saying a word, Starlight rushed to her closet and pulled out her “bug out” bag for when her plans went south, in this case it was now going to turn into a zombie survival kit.


All the commotion finally awakened Night Glider, who rushed downstairs to find her friends and Starlight looking all kinds of scared. “Hey, what the hay happened?!”


Sugar Belle rushed to her friend and buried her face in her chest, crying. Night Glider patted her friend on the back, but still looked to anypony to tell her what was happening.


“Some pegasus mare came into town and attacked one of the villagers, she…infected her with something and now they’re killing everypony!” Double Diamond answered.


“Except they’re not staying dead, they’re coming back to life as if like straight out of some horror story,” said Party Favor.


“What do we do, shouldn’t we help them?” Night Glider asked.


“No,” said Starlight sternly. “Whatever this is it is not like a virus. A virus does not grant ponies the power to create constructs out of light, black light at that! And does not grant them powers to cut through magic that easily! This is something else, something very wrong!”


Starlight kicked open the door to her spare bedroom, and motioned for all four of them to hurry in. Once inside, Starlight closed the door and used her telekinetic spell to raise the bed up and reveal an underground tunnel.


“You have an underground tunnel?” Party Favor asked.


“Are you going to question why I have a tunnel that leads out of the village to a safe place when we’re under attack?!” Starlight asked.


Party Favor shut up then and there.


“Get in, hurry!”


All four filed in and Starlight followed after, bringing the bed back down to cover the tunnel. Starlight lit up her horn, and Sugar Belle concentrated enough to produce an illumination spell. Starlight quickly led her survivors through the tunnel that would take them into the mountains.


“If we follow this path, we’ll end up at that cavern up ahead. From there we can escape anywhere, the cave is like a maze, and they won’t find us!” Starlight explained.


“B-But the others, what about them?!” Party Favor asked.


“Hey, just listen to Starlight, besides, you saw all that mess going on out there! She was lucky just to get us out!” Double Diamond stated.


Starlight was happy, if only a little, that Double Diamond was one of the ones she saved, he was always a loyal right hoof stallion, and kept most of the others in line. But even more so, she was glad that Night Glider was with them, strangely enough she was starting to feel…something for her.


“We’ll make it out, alive!” Starlight swore.


After a couple of minutes of galloping through the tunnel, Starlight and her group made it out of the tunnel and began heading down the trail to the cave across the chasm. Thunder roared and lightning crackled across the sky as the heavy rain pelted their bodies. Running on the side of the cliff was dangerous enough, but with the darkness and the rain limiting their visibility and making the path slippery, it might as well be suicide.


Starlight, however, was no fool. The mud on her coat was washing away, little by little, and soon it would reveal her cutie mark. At this point, she was betting on their loyalty and need to survive to make them overlook this for now, she was the only one strong enough and powerful enough to protect them, and without their special talents they weren’t as effective in a fight.


It’s fine, it’ll be fine! I’m strong enough, I can fight them back, my way is the right way, Starlight thought.


Starlight glanced to her right, having caught something moving in the sky during one of the flashes of lightning. Starlight still had the night vision spell activated, but even with it working, the rain was still obscuring her vision. However, she did spot something parting the rainwater, and it was heading right for them.


“DUCK!” Starlight warned.


All five ponies hit the deck as quickly as they could. The object coming through the water was a beam of black light that struck the side of the mountain, exploding out and showering the area in rock debris. Starlight quickly summoned a barrier above their heads, allowing the larger pieces to smash or roll off the shield and down the side of the mountain.


Starlight glanced back to where she last saw the beam fire, and fired a magic bolt of her own in that direction. Sadly the bolt sailed onward and exploded in the distance, not hitting anything. The unicorn mare growled in frustration, and in her frustration, summoned her magical power into her horn and fired a beam straight in the air and strafed it across the sky.


Miraculously her tactic worked as her beam hit not one, but three Black Lanterns, setting them ablaze and making them fall from the sky. Starlight obtained a small bit of satisfaction from that, but she knew well that that would not end them, if one could get up from a fatal wound like the one she dealt the pegasus mare earlier, then there was no reason to doubt that the three she felled would rise back up.


“Starlight!” Night Glider called out.


“We’re fine, just keep moving!” Starlight ordered.


The group did as she said, with Starlight continuing to keep the barrier up to ensure their protection. They eventually reached the rope bridge and quickly, but carefully, made their way across it. But at the last second, two black beams struck the bridge, ripping it apart and sending Sugar Belle and Party Favor down.


Night Glider quickly went after them, with Starlight looking down with panic in her eyes. She had already displayed a lot of powerful magic, and there was not any doubt in her mind that they were putting two and two together at this point, using anymore high level magic and not even her authoritarian hold on them would last.


“HELLLLLP!” Party Favor and Sugar Belle screamed.


Starlight grunted in anger and jumped off the edge, with Double Diamond yelling out to her. The unicorn mare dove past Night Glider, who had managed to save Party Favor, she could hear the cries of both ponies fade into the background as she dove further and further done.


Soon Starlight was able to catch up with the panicking baker, and reached out with her hoof to her. Sugar Belle managed to grab hold and Starlight went to work, coating her body in her magical aura and inducing a self-levitation spell. She poured as much of her power as she could into slowing them down, Starlight furrowed her brow as she drew upon her anger to fuel her magical energy, making her aura flare up stronger than before.


Their rate of descent began to slow to a snail’s pace, until both mares were just floating in the midair. Sugar Belle looked up to Starlight, relief and happiness beamed from her face. Starlight gave a small smile and then brought Sugar Belle into a hug to bring her close as they ascended back up the chasm. After a minute at full speed, Starlight was able to deposit Sugar Belle on terra firma and afterwards herself.


The unicorn mare began to pant, her limbs shaking a bit from the overuse of her magical power. Something that Night Glider had taken notice of. “Hey, Starlight, how are you doing?”


“I’m…fine, Night, just a little tired,” said Starlight.


“You’re legs are shaking, and don’t think I haven’t noticed that you’ve been casting spells like crazy left and right. I don’t know how much magic power you have, but you’re still a pony, you have a limit,” said Night Glider.


“If…If I stop now, we won’t make it! I’m the only one who has enough power to fight back against those monsters! I have to protect you, all of you!” Starlight argued.


Night Glider could see that Starlight would not stop, she then sighed and scooped up some mud from the ground slathered it on Starlight’s flank, sending a cold chill up her spine.


“You don’t want them seeing that, not yet anyway,” said Night Glider.


Starlight’s heart nearly stopped, Night Glider knew, she saw her cutie mark, but instead of saying anything, she was helping to conceal it. Starlight watched as the pegasus mare casually strolled to her left side and put some more mud on her left flank. “…How long have you known?”


Night Glider glanced to the unicorn mare and sighed. “When we were in bed, during, the blindfold slipped just a little, and I saw it. At first I was shocked, but then I decided I would talk to you afterwards. I felt something when we were like that, I’m not sure if you feel the same, but I’m willing to hear you out.”


Starlight felt as if her heart was being stabbed, Night Glider knew earlier before the madness started and didn’t bring it up once. “Why are you helping me then…you know when the others find out they’ll…and soon you…”


“It doesn’t matter right now. I don’t want to believe you’re some vindictive mare, we all have our reasons for doing what we do,” said Night Glider.


“And what’s your reason for covering for me?”


Night Glider leaned next to Starlight and nuzzled her cheek. “Thought that was obvious, I like you, Starlight, a lot.”


Starlight’s cheeks tinted red. Nopony had ever said that to her. “N-Night Glider…”


The navy blue pegasus mare winked at Starlight and started to walk back to Double Diamond, Party Favor, and Sugar Belle. But when she did, a beam of black light shot through the sky and struck the ground beside Night Glider, exploding and sending the pegasus mare flying until she struck the side of the mountain and fell to the ground. The others rushed to Night Glider’s side, leaving only a stunned Starlight to stare in shock at what happened.


Lightning flashed through the sky and allowed Starlight a glimpse at the one responsible. It was the mare from before, Indigo Zap, and she was approaching fast.


“How dare you……How dare you……HOW DARE YOU DISRUPT OUR HARMONY!!!” Starlight shouted.


Indigo Zap stopped and looked at the shouting unicorn, seeing a red light begin to shine from within her. {Awe, did I hurt your little marefrined?}


Starlight growled as she stared down Indigo. “You come into my town, you kill one of my own, and turn them into undead monsters! You forced us out of our home, destroyed my plans, and worst of all…you hurt NIGHT!!!”


Just then, a flash of crimson appeared in the night sky, gaining Indigo Zap’s attention, she knew full well what it was that was coming, and tried to attack it by lobbing one black light bolt after another at it. Several explosions went off around the crimson light, but it did nothing to impede its mission. The crimson light flew past Indigo and appeared before Starlight.


[Starlight Glimmer of Equus, you have great rage in your heart. Wrongs have been dealt to you in life, and you wished to bring order to it. But fate continues to thwart you even from achieving that whom you care for. Take that rage and wield it, will you defy that fate?]


Starlight Glimmer thrust forth her right foreleg, and with a narrowed gaze she shouted, “I will!”


The bracer attached to her, and immediately, Starlight was empowered by the red light of Rage. Crimson light shined from the unicorn’s body, the rainwater evaporating around her from the intense heat of her fury. Black mesh chainmail wrapped around her body, red armor formed over her hind legs and forelegs, and chest, emblazoned with the symbol of Rage. A red mask appeared over her eyes, and Starlight’s mane became pure crimson flame, sparkling with a primal brilliance.


Indigo Zap glared at this latest development, she knew of Princess Twilight’s bracers, but was not anticipating one would find them all the way out there. {Whatever, with no green light of Willpower, you can’t keep us down for good.}


Without warning, Starlight shot up from where she stood and flew into the air straight for Indigo Zap. The enraged mare slammed into Indigo with a thunderous BOOM, sending the pegasus mare flying in the opposite direction.


Indigo stumbled about in the air for a few seconds before using her power to force herself to stop. When she righted herself, Indigo Zap glared daggers at Starlight, but the unicorn mare was not done. Her rage idled mind was in overdrive as the bracer glowed and formed a construct sword staff. Indigo saw this and created her own construct dual swords and flew out to meet her.


Lightning crashed as the two mares met each other at the center, blade to blade. Crimson and ebony energy dueled in the skies above as both mares refused to give an inch.


{Persistent little manipulator aren’t you?!}


“Shut up you whorse! I’ll tear you apart for what you’ve done!”


{Pfft, I did those ponies a favor! ‘Equality by giving up your cutie mark’, what a bunch of bull! I know deep down inside you, you’re just an angry little filly, taking away everypony else’s toys because you lost yours! That’s all this is,} said Indigo Zap.


“Maybe your right, and maybe I’m wrong! But these ponies depend on me, and they want me to help them! I’ll protect them, and kill anypony who tries to hurt them!”


Starlight reared back her head, and at the same time, her crimson aura shined brighter. The unicorn mare lurched forward and unleashed a torrent of burning napalm blood breath into Indigo’s face. The hellfire torrent roared onto her, bathing Indigo in the flaming, acidic energies of the attack and making her cry out in pain.


While she was distracted and melting, Starlight took the sword staff and sliced Indigo Zap down the middle, the movement was so fast it appeared as a red blur. The reaction to the cut was delayed as Indigo’s vision became split. Starlight didn’t stop, she then proceeded to slice Indigo Zap again and again into smaller pieces. Finally, Starlight reared back once more and bellowed another napalm blood breath blast, strong enough that it became burning plasma energy that engulfed the pieces and burned away Indigo’s body.


The unicorn mare watched as the black sludge that was her essence still remained on fire and fell far down below and out of sight. Starlight figured that that would not last forever, but at the very least she knew she could delay their regeneration. She flew over to where Sugar Belle, Double Diamond, and Party Favor were gathered, with the pink unicorn baker keeping close to Night Glider.


All three gasped when they finally took in Starlight’s appearance, and seeing that the corner of her mouth still had trace amounts of blood coming from it.


“S-Starlight, a-are you okay?” Double Diamond asked.


“I’m fine, how’s Night Glider?!” Starlight asked.


“S-She’s breathing a little hard, I think that explosion may have broken something inside her,” said Sugar Belle.


Starlight slowly approached the navy blue pegasus, who groggily opened her eyes and looked up, seeing Starlight glowing crimson against the dark sky above. “Hey Starlight…I feel like crap.”


“Stay still, I need to see how bad you are,” said Starlight.


Her horn ignited and shined on Night Glider, allowing her to see passed the fur and flesh and to what was inside. There were some broken ribs and one seemed to have punctured her lung.


“You have two broken ribs, and a punctured lung, I know a spell to heal it but it’s going to hurt, a lot…”


Night Glider looked into Starlight’s white, glowing eyes and nodded with determination. The Red Lantern smirked, admiring the toughness of her new marefriend. “Hold her down you three, I need to concentrate.”


Double Diamond and Party Favor got on either side of the downed mare, carefully placing their hooves on her. Sugar Belle held Night Glider’s hoof, giving her something to squeeze in preparation for the pain.


Starlight was having second thoughts about this, she needed to do this to save her, but it would cause Night pain. Why the hay did I not learn those sensory transference spells to make me feel the pain instead, or better yet, those anesthesia spells when I had the chance?!


“Starlight.” The unicorn mare was brought back to the now, seeing Night Glider give her a determined and reassuring look. “You can do this, I can take it.”


Taking a deep breath, Starlight focused the magic into her horn and right over the affected area. What followed next was a symphony of painful screams, booming thunder, and crackling lightning. This war between the living and the dead, between life and death, was only just beginning.

Author's Note:

Next Time:

The battles are waged across Equestria, as the Equestrian Lanterns continue to do battle against the Blackest Night. Hardships will be faced, as loved ones face off against loved ones.

But, even in the darkest times, there's always a glimmer of Hope.

Comments ( 10 )

..... I am..... not sure how I feel about Starlight TAINTING my Red Lanterns.

To be clear? I don't mind Starlight post-reform.... it's pre-reform I have issues with. Also.... really? Night Glider romance from out of nowhere purely so you can have her get mad?

Wow, Starlight's kind of a bitch.

"You are nothing but flesh driven by a slab of meat between your skulls. I'm not surprised how easy it is for my Black Lanterns to manipulate and turn you. For you are, after all, the closest to Life. But being close to Life has a fatal drawback, you see, you all are very... Susceptible to your emotions. This makes you a target for my Lanterns. They want you to feel something, Will, Fear, Hope, Avarice, Compassion, Rage, Love, all seven emotions are fragments of the white light that were splintered by me as I drove my blade into the trespasser. These seven emotions are neither Life nor Death but are the colors in between. It is the purity that resides inside of them that allows me to convert you to your natural state. For you belong to Death.

And Death belongs to all."
-Nekron

Can't wait for more. I love this story and since this is part of the MLDCverse I kinda want to know if someone from this equestria is part of the Legends team or if they will come to this equestria. :pinkiehappy:

“What do I want? I want to give freedom! Freedom from the struggles of life itself, no longer will there be rich and poor, powerful or powerless, the barriers between tribes will be broken down as all ponies – no – all creatures are brought under the same banner! Death is indifferent, even the powerful will die one day, some sooner, some later, tonight though we speed up the process!”

So death is communism?

Held within the magical aura, was a six foot sledge hammer, but modified with a magical glyph written on it. The glowing white eyes of the pony’s helm looked down upon both mares, a snort was released and in the cold air of the night appeared as a fog.

Cooooooool

Well, I'm all caught up, and now waiting for more to read.

I really love this story, Please continue it, it's got great story telling and the characters are great in this!

Please continue this is amazing!!!

Login or register to comment