• Published 22nd Dec 2016
  • 1,280 Views, 59 Comments

Blackhoof Mountain - DeskManiac



Twilight and her friends decide to spend the weekend on Blackhoof Mountain. If only they knew the horrors that await them. An Until Dawn x MLP crossover

  • ...
2
 59
 1,280

Epilogue

“Please sit down.”

I took a seat on the hard wooden chair, his gaze met mine as we sat across one another, in this tiny concrete cell.

“Please, tell us what happened.”

I stared blankly at him, trying to think of the correct way to word things.

But there wasn’t any. There was no way that I could have properly described the things that happened last night.

I tried to buy some time, shifting my gaze around the table and around the room. But his glare was growing colder by the minute, demanding answers from me.

Finally, I couldn't stand wasting any more time and I took a deep breath.

“I- I mean we- We were having our Hearths Warming party on top of Blackhoof Mountain. Everything was going fine until… the lights went out, all of a sudden, and Starlight and Spike had to go out and check, and I…I…” Tears began to well up in my eyes.

“It’s okay miss. Please take your time,” he said sympathetically.

I tried desperately to rub the tears away, but it only grew stronger.

“I- I don’t know what happened,” I cried, “There was this crazed maniac, and he took Rainbow Dash, and… and…”

“Hold on,” he stopped me, “A crazed maniac?”

“Yes,” I replied in tears, “He kidnapped me, and drugged me, and oh god…” I continued to weep.

“Miss, can you please describe this crazed maniac? What did he looked like?”

I stopped.

I knew who it was. But she was my friend. And no matter how horrible she treated me, does it merit me selling her out?

“Miss? Can you please tell me how the killer looked like?”

“Well, you see… it was…” I mumbled, “You see actually… It was…”

The cop waited patiently for my answer.

“It was…… Rainbow Dash.” I answered, finally giving in.

“Pardon?”

“I said it was Rainbow Dash!” I screamed.

The cop was taken aback. He sank back into his chair, speechless.

“Oh no. I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to break out like that…”

“It’s okay,” he sighed, “After a traumatic experience like that, we all have a few things to get off our chests…”

“…”

He leaned forward again.

“So was it this ‘maniac’ who hurt your friend?”

I shook my head. He probably wasn’t going to believe this, but it was…

“It was the wendigos…”

“What?”

“The wendigos!” I shouted, “These spider like thingies that are crawling all over this mountain!” I paused, my eyes growing wide.

“Oh no, oh no no no…”

“Miss are you ok-”

“My friends! You have to get my friends off of that mountain! Those things are going to kill them!!!”

“Miss, please remain calm.”

“HOW CAN I REMAIN CALM?? MY FRIENDS ARE STILL TRAPPED UP THERE!!”

“Miss, the Blackhoof Rangers have already sent a helicopter to the top of the mountain. They will pick up whatever survivors they can find. But in the meantime, all we can do is-”

“You don’t know what is up there…” I cut him off, “Those things, they’re… they’re inhumane…” I said, tears resurfacing.

“And if my friends don’t get off this instant they are going to be turned into wendigo food…”

The room was quiet. He took a deep breath.

“We understand. And we promise to do our best. But for now…” He dug into his pockets and handed over a key. “You should take a rest. You’ve had a rough night. This is your room key at the local inn, we rented it out for you until we’ve contacted Canterlot unit for further investigation.”

“But-”

“We’ll let you know if we find any of your friends,” he finished, holding open the door.

I stared at the key on the table, biting my lip.

“What about my friend?”

He paused for a second.

“No one knows for sure. But I’m certain they’re doing everything they can to make things work. No one knows what’s going to happen, but we’re all hoping for the best.”

“Any other questions?”

I looked up, and gave him one last friendly smile, "No. Thank you so much officer."

My mind was a haze. I dragged my feet through the corridor, wondering what might be of my friends.

Everything was over for me now, but for everyone else, this nightmare could get even worse. I didn't want to think about it.

*SLAM*

I fell backwards, wincing. I had been so focused on the floor that I hadn’t notice the front door opening suddenly.

I whined as I rolled on the floor. Cursed be whoever who did that!

But before I was able to get up, I heard a voice.

“Rarity?” it said, “Is that you?”

I looked up, and gasped.


He looked at me skeptically. He didn’t believe a word I said.

“And then what happened?” he asked, clearly annoyed.

I frowned. It’s been almost an hour since I’ve been here. My butt was sore, my throat was dry. All because I have to answer these stupid questions over and over again. It’d be so much easier if he’d just believe me.

“I. Blew. Them. Up.” I said, making sure he heard every syllable correctly this time.

He tapped his pencil impatiently, flipping through his notes again.

“It’s there,” I said, “I’m sure you can find it. The entire place…” I swung my arms in the air, “Boom. Collapsed. It’s all just rubble now.”

He continued to concentrate on his notes, frowning as he tried to believe what he just heard.

“Alright so let me get things straight,” he cupped both hooves together, in a very annoyed fashion, “You just… miraculously survived all that?”

“Yeah.”

“This is nuts.”

“But I’m telling you the truth!”

“Okay look,” he snapped at me furiously, “You expect me to believe that some spider like creature attacked you, and then you just what, killed it?”

“Yeah pretty much.”

He turned away and rubbed his temples before turning to face me again.

“Okay, let’s recap,” he said angrily, “You and your friend went to investigate the power cutout,” he scowled, flipping his papers aggressively, “-and both of you somehow ended up in the mines. You got separated, you blew up the spider thing, and then you miraculously survived?”

“Yes,” I answered.

“Without getting crushed by the rubble or anything? And then you just rode the train all the way back to Canterlot like nothing happened,” he ended, dropping his notebook. Clearly he still didn’t believe me.

I was very unamused. “Well I thought the first logical thing I should do was contact the authorities, but it seems like they’re not much help at all don’t you think?”

His frown grew worse. He was staring me straight in the eye.

“All I’m saying is that you guys need to go check out those mines, okay?" I continued, "There are some creatures living in there that could be a danger to other ponies who go up there.”

He groaned and covered his face with his hooves.

“Look kid, as much as I want to believe you, that story is absurd.”

I've had enough.

I climbed onto the table, and looked him dead in the eye.

"Just. Believe. Me."

The entire office was staring in our direction now. I looked at him again and he was looking way annoyed than before.

“I’ll take your story to my boss, see what he thinks about it?”

And he got up, and he walked away.

I sat back in my seat, quietly as I continued to receive weird glances from ponies in the office.

You know what? Who cares if he doesn't believe me? I survived, and that means something to me at least.

I laid back into the chair. The fact that I was still alive right now was a miracle to me.

I closed my eyes for a little, and immediately I was taken back into the mines.

I shouted for Starlight, again and again, but soon I was losing hope that she was ever going to make it.

I clenched my teeth. This can't be the end for me, can it? After all these years, I never even got to confess to Rarity even!

That's when it hit me. The dynamite!

Instinctively, I pulled it out and lighted it with my fire. I only had one shot at this so I knew I couldn’t miss. When the fuse was about to burn out, I threw it.

The detonation was deafening. The caves collapsed, a loud shrieking was heard, and suddenly I felt the hands let me go.

After what seemed like forever, all the rumbling finally stopped. I got up.

The tunnels were silent now.

I looked at the rubble. The creature was crushed.

If I hadn’t threw it far enough, I would’ve been crushed too.

I didn't stick around for long, in case the beast was somehow still alive. I ran down the other direction.

The rest of the night was hard to describe. I was lost in the dark for a very long time, with only my own fire as a source of guidance. I would hear shrieking and hissing occasionally, and I'd stop moving until I was sure I was alone.

Eventually I was out of the mines. I felt a great success, getting through such a disastrous night. My heart was fluttering to tell everyone I was back until...

The entire lodge was already gone.

I stared at the flaming lodge. No, this couldn't be happening-

“Rarity?! Twilight! Anybody?!” I screamed. The flames continued to lick what was left of the lodge.

I fell on my knees. There was nothing left for me. After having survive such a horrific night, all my friends were gone.

"No..."

Suddenly, something grabbed my shoulder from behind.

“AAAHHHH!!!!”

The stranger took off his mask, revealing an old griffin underneath.

“What are ya doing here?!” he shouted at me.

“Who wha?”

He sighed, “Look, your friends have gotten off this mountain, and you better go too.”

“But-”

“Just go!”

I stumbled backwards into the snow, confused. But I got going. Once I reached the cable car station it was a mess. Just what in Celestia's name happened here?

I only hoped that Rarity and Twilight were alright.

I snapped back to reality. The cop had returned, looking rather unpleased. He slammed a stack of files onto the desk.

“Looks like your story actually checks out. We’ve just received several reports from the Blackhoof County of several eye witnesses who saw a similar spider like creature on those mountains. They’re now on their way here for further investigation.”

“Wait, you mean, my friends are, still alive?”

“Well I don’t know who these people are so maybe you’d recognize them,” he insisted, pushing the files towards me. “Have a look.”

I gulped, and grabbed the first one.


The past hour has been hell. Being dragged into the police station was not the first thing I wanted to do today.

“And what were you doing with this weapon?” the cop pointed.

I looked up.

“Protecting myself from the wendigos.”

“The what?”

“The wendigos. Long legged creatures, big beady eyes, might look like they came out of your mother’s grave,” my answer was half snarky, and he wasn’t amused.

“Listen here, punk. I say you better spill the beans or things might have to get very rough from here.”

“Well, there’s nothing much to spill really. I’m innocent. I’ve done nothing wrong. I carry a weapon around for self-defense, so what?”

He continued to stare me down like a hawk.

“And why on earth would you need this to ‘defend’ yourself?”

I smiled, “The wendigo ain’t like nothing you’ve seen in Equestria. It’s got thick hard skin, like an armor, which can only be get rid of by fire,”

“Now I wouldn’t expect ya to believe me, but as far as I know I didn’t hurt anyone so that means you can’t charge me for anything.”

One look at him and I knew he still wasn’t satisfied with that answer.

“And what about those kids? They reported a suspicious looking person out kidnapping their friends.”

“I’ve never kidnapped anyone,” I replied blandly, “It was probably the wendigo.”

“And who are these wendigos?!” he slammed his hooves on the table, finally losing his patience.

I smirked, “Only the vilest creatures ever lived,”

“They feed on pony flesh, tearing them up bit by bit until they’re all just bones,” I said, “It’s not pretty.”

He bit his lip and clutched his pen tightly.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but I’m not lying.”

Just then the door opened.

The guard almost immediately fell onto his face.

“Princess Celestia!” he shouted.

“At ease, Bowhoof. I’ve talked to the girls, this man is free to go.”

“But… but…”

“That is an order. This man saved their life.”

The cop continued to stutter while I strutted past him confidently to greet the Princess.

“Fancy meeting you here, princess.”

She greeted me with a warm smile, her ambience cool and welcoming.

“I’m sorry about what you had to put through," she apologized, "I owe you the world for saving the girls’ lives.”

I grinned a toothy grin, “Just doing my job ma’am.”

I was about to reach for my flamethrower and leave, but the Princess stopped me.

“I’m afraid that this still does not warrant you the liberty to carry your weapon around here. You’ll have to leave it.”

This has to be a joke.

“Then how am I supposed to fight wendigos from now on, your Highness?” I asked, half mockingly.

“You won’t be,” she replied sternly, never breaking eye contact with me, “My sister and I will take it from here.”

I couldn't believe it. “You sure you can handle them Princess?” I scoffed, "From my years of experience, wendigos are the darnest things you don't want to deal with."

She smiled gently at me.

“Trust me,” and she left.

I sighed. There was nothing much left I could do. I said my final goodbyes to ol’ Milliard, and left him behind.

As I turned the corridor, I saw the familiar Stetson doning gal. She saw me too, as she started walking towards me.

“Hiya lil’ lady,” I smiled. “How ya holdin' up?”

“I'm holdin' up just fine, thanks for asking,” she greeted bashfully, “Look sir, me an’ Fluttershy can’t thank ya enough for saving our behinds on top of that mountain. Celestia knows what would’ve happened if you weren't there. ”

I smiled, “It's what I do best.”

“I mean, we couldn’t believe you were still alive! After Rainbow returned without you, we all thought… We all thought you were gone…”

I chuckled, “Those wendigos couldn’t lay a damn finger on me even if they tried.”

“Yeah,” she nodded quietly.

“So uhh... Are you going back to Blackhoof Mountain? To finish of them wendigos?” she asked.

I sighed, “Nah, I can’t go back anymore. Princess’ orders.”

“Oh,” she faced down, “I guess the Princess just wants you to be safe, that’s all.”

“And I hope she’s safe as well. Wendigos ain’t easy to deal with y’know?”

“Yeah. I know," she said, "And I wouldn't want to see another one of those darn things ever again,”

“Anyways what are you going to do from now on?” she asked me suddenly.

I hummed. I never gave it much thought. I've always assumed I would live and die on that mountain, slaying wendigos until I my I reached my deathbed.

“I don't know. Maybe I’ll fly back to in Griffinstone, maybe I’ll stick around, see how the world’s changed,” I told her.

“Well good luck with that,” she smiled, about to leave. “Oh and if ya ever need a place to stay, we here at Sweet Apple Acres invite you with open arms. It’s the least we can do.”

“Thanks for the offer. I’ll think about it.”

We parted ways and bid farewell. When I exited the castle, the sun was already soaring high in the sky. It’s good to finally feel some warmth after all that time spent on Blackhoof Mountain.

I took my time to really drink in the surroundings. The city of Canterlot sure has changed a lot since the last time I was here.

I looked up at the clock tower. Maybe, just maybe, it was time to leave this wendigo business behind...


“Twilight, my sister and I will handle this matter, you should head home and get some rest.”

“But princess-”

“I understand your concerns Twilight, but there’s nothing left that you can do.”

I lowered my head, things could have gone a lot differently.

“Thank you Princess Celestia, for everything.” I withdrew respectfully. She was the Princess after all, and I trusted that she had the wisdom to know what she was doing.

The doors to the throne room shut behind me. I stood at the mighty steps of Canterlot castle, gazing at what's left of the day. It was already growing late, and Celestia had already painted the evening skies with dashes of red and orange, and all that awaited Canterlot was Luna's night sky. I trotted down the castle steps, and hurried down the streets.

It’s been two days since the incident, and although a handful of us has been found, there was still a few that remained missing, and it was starting to worry me. It was tough enough to survive one night alone, try imagining being up there for two.

I arrived at the train station. After paying for the ticket, I sat down and glanced at the clock.

6:17 p.m.

The last train to Ponyville should be arriving soon.

Speaking of Ponyville, most of us had already returned home this afternoon. The only ones who were still in Canterlot were me, Rainbow and Discord. Rainbow's wanted for further investigation, and Discord is still in the hospital. Things are looking up for him though, I just hope he’s gonna be alright.

As for Rainbow, no one knows how many more days they’ll keep her there. At least she's alive. I couldn't imagine anyone surviving such a close blast. Still, her right ear was burnt from the explosion, but otherwise she was considered fully recovered.

The train finally arrived at the station and as soon as the doors opened I plopped myself down on the closest seat. I sank back into the cushions, but still I couldn't feel relaxed.

Everything up till today just felt so surreal. Everything that happened that night just seemed like a fading nightmare now. But I know it wasn’t, no matter how much we all wanted it to be.

I dozed off on the train soon enough. But managed to wake up as the train arrived in Ponyville. I got off, and was greeted by the barren platform.

Who am I kidding? Not many ponies get off this late at Ponyville anyways.

I made my way down town. Most of the street lights had begun to illuminate the streets, but there weren’t many ponies wondering about except me.

The entire town’s already heard about the incident by now, and despite their good-willed condolences, there wasn’t really anything much they could do to help anyone feel better. At least now that the case is closed, maybe we’ll have some closure ourselves.

I reached the doorstep to my own castle. Spike’s probably asleep by now. Can't blame him. These couple days have been taxing on everyone, especially me.

But I was finally home and I didn't want to waste another second thinking about it. I opened the large two doors, and went inside. I considered making myself something to eat before going to bed, but my body was already aching from all the work we had to do these couple days. I decided that one night without dinner probably wasn't going to kill me, so I headed towards bed.

While making my way to my room, I noticed a distant light shining from one of the rooms. I neared it slowly, to realise that the light was coming out from the throne room. That was odd. What was Spike doing in the throne room at this hour?

Intrigued, I slowly pushed open the door to the throne room.

“Spike, I thought you were in bed. What are you-”

I gasped.

Seated across the table was a smug grin, a bowl of cereal in one hoof and a spoon in the other.

Words could not describe how far my smile grew at that moment.

“C’mon Twilight, you didn’t think I was dead, did you?”


I sat quietly, facing the unforgiving glare.

“You have to understand why we’re doing this. We can’t let the actions of one pony bring the whole team down.”

I shut my eyes and nodded.

“You’re just lucky no one is pressing any charges. Everyone forgives you. Sort of. And they’re ready to move on. But we can’t just let this slide willy nilly. I mean look at what you did to yourself.” She pointed furiously, “This is not how we want the team to be represented.”

I continued to nod silently.

“Look, you’re one of our best fliers, and we can never replace you,” she sighed, “But we can’t have you around if you’re meant to represent the best of the best of Equestria.”

I shut my eyes tight. I knew what she was gonna say, and no amount of mental preparation was enough for this.

“You’re fired. Now get out of here.”

This was a complete disaster. I knew it was gonna happen, but that didn't take away the blow it had on me.

I only had myself to blame. Seriously, what had I gotten myself into?

Getting detained for days was already bad enough. Having to serve community service for 3 whole months was even worse. And now, I’m fired from the job I love the most.

I obediently dragged my belongings off the table, and went out the door.

As I stepped into the hall, I can feel everyone stopping and glaring at me. I knew what I looked like, and I knew I was a walking disaster. I tried to cover myself with my wings, but that only drew more attention.

The entire walk from Spitfire’s office to the exit seemed to go on forever. It was as if the world wanted everyone to look at how bad I was right now.

Finally I saw the doors. I pushed them out and stepped onto the field.

Wonderbolts were still having their training at this hour. They graced the skies with their wonderful coloured trails. It's a shame that I’ll never get to join them again.

I took a good hard look at everyone on the field. Something about them made me feel worse about myself. They all have a bright future ahead of them. I could have still been one of them. But then I just had to go and screw everything up.

I pressed my tears back in. I didn’t know what to do, where to go. Everything just felt like a dead end.

I continued to stare miserably at them, as they soared the skies, as they welcomed the incoming dusk with their beautiful flying colours. I envied them.

I don’t know how long I was staring at them for. But day soon turned into night and before I knew it I was staring at nothing at all. That’s when the tears came back again. Just like the moon in the sky, I was alone.

I dried my tears. I flew down to Ponyville.

The entire town was peaceful and quiet. I didn't even know if I wanted to go home. I just wanted to roam the streets until I fell down dead.

I dragged my feet around town until I saw something. Under a street light, I saw a familiar face.

She saw me too, from far away. And she walked slowly closer. I froze.

“Dash?” She greeted quietly.

I couldn’t believe it.

“You’re alive!” she shouted.

She threw herself around me, holding me tightly.

"You're... you're alive..." my mouth trembled, my throat felt itself constrict.

“Of course silly. I couldn’t just leave you all behind…”

“But, we-” my cheeks burnt, “we-"

"I left you behind,” I choked. Everything felt so wrong, just seeing her again, after all this time, after what I did.

She rubbed my cut up stubby mane with a warm gentle smile, “That doesn’t matter right now, silly. What matters is my favorite partner in crime is still in town.”

Tears seemed to flow out of me uncontrollably.

“I’m so sorry Pinkie… It was all my fault… I should have listened to you when you told me to stop… I put everyone... I put you in danger." I cried, "I’m a terrible friend…”

Pinkie sighed as she combed my mane, “Yeah, you are. But I forgive you.”

We hugged silently under the street light for what seemed like forever. Finally, she broke the hug.

“Hey, come to Sugarcube Corner!” her tone changed dramatically. “All our friends are there!”

“Wait, everyone? Even Spike and Starlight?”

“Yeah! It was going to be a 'Congratulations We're All Alive Party' but then you weren't there, but now you are!”

I hesitated. But before I knew it, she was dragging me all the way across town to her place.

Everything was happening so quickly, I wasn’t even sure if I was ready to meet everyone just ye-

“Hey everyone! Rainbow Dash is back!” she burst open the door. Everyone immediately turned to us.

I stared at everyone nervously.

“Hi."

That’s the only thing I could squeeze out of me. Everyone was still mad at me, probably, and this was probably the last place I wanted to be tonight.

“Rainbow you’re back!” Twilight shouted of joy, finally breaking the silence. She pulled me in for a hug.

“So how’d it go with Spitfire?” she whispered.

“As well as you’d think. I’m not a Wonderbolt anymore.”

“Dash-”

“It’s fine, it’s what I deserve anyway.” And I moved her away.

“Ugh so how’s everyone?” I smiled. Although everyone looked neutral, I could feel that they were still mad at me. I can’t blame them, I’m pretty mad at myself too.

“Well I’ve spent almost a week in the hospital,” Discord was the next to speak to me, though through his tone, I knew he would rather not look at me right now.

"So how was it?" I asked nervously.

“Oh just wonderful! Definitely had the time of my life being on the brink of death.” He deadpanned.

“Really?” I asked bashfully.

“NO.” He glared.

Well that was that.

Rarity spoke to me next. She walked up to me, hitting her hoof on my chest.

“Rainbow, understand this. I am still very mad at you. What you did to me was horrible and unforgivable. But since you are my friend, I will forgive you, on one condition.”

“You must be my fashion model for the next 4 weeks. And you must help me at my boutique whenever possible.”

I shouted, “Aw come on Rarity! Anything but that!”

“No. No. That’s the only fair punishment I can give. Unless you want to get something from Discord, I wouldn't mind…”

I glanced over her shoulder. Discord was giving me a crazed smile.

“On second thought, I’m good.”

“While you’re at it,” AJ added, “The farm could use some extra hooves too! I’m sure a couple weeks of hard labor will fix up everything that ya done.”

I grumbled, “Fine. Anyone else wants me as their slave?”

No one else responded. Good. Trying to juggle out serving in the community and working for Applejack and Rarity was gonna be a chore, especially Rarity. Her work takes forever, cause' she’s always looking for the perfect ribbon or the perfect gem. And don't get me started on being her model.

“Either way we’re just glad you came out okay,” Fluttershy interrupted, “How’s your ear by the way?”

“Uhhh,” I lightly touched it. Yep, it still stung. “It still hurts a little… Ow. It’s best not to touch it.”

“Well just be glad you’re still alive Rainbow Dash. I almost got crushed by a cave in!” Spike exclaimed.

“What? Really?”

“You should have seen me take on that wendigo. I was like boom, crash, pow! Bye-bye wendigo.” He smirked.

“It’s crazy how long all this seems like it happened ago. Like everything we went through was all just a crazy nightmare,” Starlight said, “I’m just glad we all made it.”

“Yeah! The important thing is, Dash is here, and everyone is here. We’re all here!” Pinkie screamed.

Everyone nodded in agreement.

“Hold on!” Pinkie reached for two cups of cocoa by the counter, passing me one of them.

“I would like to dedicate this toast to all of us!” she cheered, “To surviving the most horrific night of our lives!”

“To surviving!” everyone followed.

I felt a smile stretch across my face as well. The next couple weeks are probably going to be the worst of my life, not to mention Discord probably has intentions of murdering me in my sleep. But right here, right now, this was everything I wanted. Everyone together, alive, and happy.

Author's Note:

This is the end, finally. Sorry I haven't updated in forever. I know everyone has been expecting an ending since forever and I haven't done anyone any justice by procrastinating for so long.

I was in a rush to finish this. After like 3 months, I think it's finally time to finish this. I apologize in advance if this wasn't the ending you expected or wanted. In all honesty I tried really hard to make sure everything would tie together just right in the end.

Writing this fic has been fun, adventurous, and taxing at the same time. I had fun writing certain chapters, while it was stressful to write others (like this one). There were a lot of changes in ideas from what I started with, and each chapter allowed me to explore new ideas as I moved along, but I'm just glad with what I ended up with in the end.

Finally, I'm glad that this fic is finally over and I can put my soul to rest. After 1 year and 2 months, I can finally say that my first story is complete. I hope everyone had a fun ride throughout this story, and I hope to write more awesome fics in the future.

Stay awesome. :yay:

Comments ( 4 )

Thank you for the update! It has been a fun read for me.

8734242
Thanks a lot! Glad I was able to entertain you!

Interesting, I’m glad it ended like this. Thank you for this amusing read! :ajsmug:

8738658
You're welcome! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment