• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 13,847 Views, 4,898 Comments

Grief is the Price We Pay - Scyphi



Spike thought he could get them to trust and befriend Thorax. But they didn't.

  • ...
87
 4,898
 13,847

PreviousChapters Next
Guizhou Fa

As the next couple of days passed by, Thorax continued to remain on guard for any new attempts of someone attempting to forcibly gain entrance to his mental scape. Despite his lingering fears it would happen again, there were no signs of any renewed attempts of such a feat during that time. This meant either one of two possibilities. One was that Spike was correct, and that whoever it was that had tried to force a mental link with Thorax learned from the experience and chose not to repeat the stunt, probably in fear of getting caught themselves if they did. The other was that the intruder had learned from the experience in other ways, and was still plotting and preparing to try it again…or had already tried it again and this time Thorax had failed to notice. In which case, Thorax couldn’t be sure if even his thoughts were still secure and safe, and if this mental intruder had already gotten vital information that could endanger either him or Spike in any way, and had no idea if he should act accordingly or not, or if doing so would even help at this point.

Waiting and seeing was really the only option he could think of left to him, and he hated it. Nor did it help his growing paranoia on the subject. This then largely brought about him trying to be alert enough to catch any future intrusions to his mental scape at bedtime, but in reality he only seemed to be preventing himself from sleeping as deeply as normal. This wasn’t helped by the fact that Thorax, in these attempts, was continually waking himself up over false alarms in which he thought he sensed the start of an intrusion, but upon closer examination realized it was quite obviously not. Spike, who Thorax woke for the first few of these false alarms, was usually pretty quick to prove as such and soothe Thorax’s fears. That is until after about the fourth or fifth false alarm in which Thorax’s attempts to wake Spike were returned with a death glare to end all death glares from the exhausted dragon. Thorax decided after that point to keep it to himself unless he was absolutely certain there was real cause for alarm.

And no such instance seemed to be coming, to the point that even Thorax started to wonder if his nervousness over the matter was starting to become a little ridiculous too. Regardless, he found he couldn’t calm his nerves about the matter, and remained on edge…especially at night. It got to the point that it was getting hard for him to go to sleep in the first place, nervous as he was. Inevitably he’d succeed, only to be wakened again by a false alarm and struggle getting back to sleep again. After one such false alarm about an hour before sunrise, Thorax found he couldn’t get back to sleep, and instead laid in his sleeping nest, staring at the opposite wall and letting his mind wander. As the sun rose, he watched the first rays of sunlight peek through a crack in the drapes behind Spike’s sleeping form and then slowly inch across the floor, before finally deciding there was no point in denying it; he wasn’t going to get back to sleep now so he might as well get up and get on with the day.

As he was arising earlier in the morning than was normal for either him or Spike, Thorax proceeded to stand up, put on his usual disguise as Thornton, and slip out of the room while being careful not to disturb Spike. Once out of the room, he wasn’t sure what he was going to do next. He was thinking of heading on down into the shop and wandering about, possibly getting a head start on the day’s work that would be following in another hour or so. But as he crossed the hallway towards the stairs, he paused when he heard movement nearby, and glanced further down the hall where Fly Leaf’s room was and saw the door was open and ajar, wide enough that he could see the early morning light from the window within spilling into the hallway. Hearing the faint shuffle of movement again, he realized Fly was already up.

This wasn’t especially unusual; both Spike and Thorax were well aware that Fly was an early riser and was usually up and about well before either of them were, something which had never been a problem for either of them. In fact, Thorax never really thought much about it, but now he wondered just what it was that Fly Leaf got up so early in the morning to do. He assumed preparing breakfast was among them, as usually Fly had a hot meal prepared not long after Spike and Thorax woke up, but it was still early enough that Fly probably wouldn’t be starting that yet, possibly not even for another hour. So if she got up earlier than she needed to even do that…what else was she doing so early in the morning?

Against his better judgment then and his curiosity sparked, Thorax started to inch his way towards the open door of Fly’s room in hopes of finding out. It did occur to him that he shouldn’t be snooping around; Fly didn’t do as such for Spike and Thorax and they had been returning that unspoken favor by giving her the same courtesy and not prying into her own private affairs, not that she seemed to have many. Fly was a very independent mare and seemed to live a routine life by choice. She ran her shop, kept herself fed, occasionally went out to run errands or visit friends, but otherwise she didn’t seem too interested in engaging in many extracurricular activities. With that in mind, Thorax figured he probably wouldn’t find Fly doing anything special at all then.

He paused as he came to stand beside the door, almost in position to take a quick peek. Or I could find her doing something private, he thought to himself. It was, after all, Fly’s personal bedroom. He hadn’t even seen inside it before. For all he knew, he could find her…indecent…at present time, and that wouldn’t do. But he heard her shift positions again and saw the shadow of her hoof briefly fly across what little of the wall inside that Thorax could see from here, suggesting she was up and standing not far from the door. He could also hear her breathing, calm, relaxed, and drawn out. As such, she wasn’t putting off any noteworthy emotions that Thorax could detect other than a sense of peace and focus. It seemed she was concentrating on something, but beyond that Thorax couldn’t deduce much else.

He still hesitated for another moment, thinking he shouldn’t do it, but eventually his curiosity won out and at last Thorax poked his head into the gap of the open door. He wasn’t sure what he was expecting to find Fly Leaf doing, but he was momentarily mystified by what he found. Sitting in the light from her window and directly in front of the modest oak-frame bed, the pumpkin-orange mare sat on the floor slowly twisting her torso and hooves about in a rhythmical, methodical, and almost memorizing manner. There was a deliberate and rather artistic manner to it that showed Fly knew what she was doing—and was well practiced at whatever it was—but Thorax didn’t recognize it, and found himself tilting his head and quietly watching Fly’s mysterious movements for a few moments, studying them. He was soon engrossed to the point that he forgot he was basically spying.

Fortunately, Fly brought him back to reality. “You’re up early, Thornton,” she noted aloud, without once turning her head or eyes to look at him or even at his general direction and instead kept looking straight ahead.

It surprised Thorax, unsure how she managed to notice him then, and he pulled back slightly. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude…” he began to apologize quickly.

“No, no, you’re not intruding,” Fly assured as she continued with her movements without interruption. “I’m not doing anything special. C’mon in if you want.”

Thorax blinked then relented, nudging the door open a bit further and slipping into the room. As it was the first time he had ever been in Fly’s room before, he couldn’t help but take a moment to glance around. In shape, the room was largely similar in shape and structure to his and Spike’s, but was overall shorter in length and lacked the attached bathroom. Against the wall the door and Thorax stood in was a wardrobe to his immediate right, followed by a duo of well-stocked bookcases. The opposite wall bore the slanted ceiling, window, and a window seat identical to the one in his and Spike’s room, but due to the shorter length of the room, the window sat off-center and towards the left of the wall. To the right of the window sat a simple chest of drawers. Fly’s bed was the most central feature, positioned so it sat towards the center of the room but with its headboard still against the far wall. Next to it was a small bed stand with a lamp, alarm clock, and a family picture placed atop it.

At the foot of the bed was an unmarked and inexpensive footlocker with an extra blanket folded neatly on top of it. Across from it against the other wall was another bookcase stand, but this one was much stouter, being wider than it was tall, and was more loosely filled than the other two bookcases in the room. Atop of it was a record player of Fly Leaf’s own, with a smattering of mane and tail care tools lying next to it. Hung on the wall above it were a calendar and an oval-shaped mirror. Fly Leaf happened to be in the gap of space between the footlocker and the bookcase stand, sitting atop a small oval rug colored in bands of alternating shades of tan and turned so her face was reflected back in the mirror hung on the wall, and continued doing the odd movements with her hooves and torso.

Thorax watched her for another second, determining that the movements were probably a series of stretches, but beyond that, he still wasn’t certain what it was. “If I may ask,” he began finally to settle his curiosity, “what is it that you’re doing?”

His employer grinned. “Guizhou fa,” she replied simply.

Thorax arched an eyebrow. “Guizhou fa?” he repeated, uncertain, not recognizing the words, though it sounded like it might be from one of the eastern languages that Thorax knew little about.

Fly confirmed that hunch as she continued to explain. “It’s a martial art originally practiced by the Guizhou ponies from the far east,” she said, still smiling as she continued to move her hooves and body gracefully about. “It’s a passive-aggressive sort of series of meditative and defensive exercises, and when done right can be very calming and relaxing, double as an effective means of self-defense, and is overall good exercise.”

“Oh,” Thorax said, tilting his head again as he continued to watch Fly carry out the exercises without interruption. He frowned at the slow and fluid motions. “How are such motions used for self-defense, though? They seem too…” he trailed off searching for the right word that didn’t also sound unappreciative.

“…sluggish?” Fly offered anyway with a knowing grin before spreading her forehooves out in a wide stretch. “That’s actually part of the point, but these exercises I’m doing at the moment are meant to be more meditative anyway…a warm up, if you will.”

“Meditative,” Thorax repeated distractedly as he continued to watch Fly. The slow and gentle motions did seem like they would be…pensive and relaxing.

“I take it this interests you then,” Fly continued as she grabbed one of her hind hooves with her forehooves, arching her back as she gently stretched.

Thorax nodded. “I know of something loosely similar that was taught back home,” he said. A sort of changeling version of the martial art—if you could call the purely combative training that—was taught to one of his clutchmates who then went on to become one of the queen’s private guard of centurions. “I never learned it myself, though.”

“Hm,” Fly hummed as she switched to stretching her other pair of hooves. “So now if I may ask…why are you up so early, Thornton? Usually I have the whole building to myself at this hour in the morning.”

Thorax frowned and made a noncommittal shrug. “I’ve been having trouble sleeping lately,” he admitted.

“Oh? Any particular reason why?”

Thorax again just shrugged, knowing he couldn’t get into detail about why and chose to sum it up with one phrase. “Just been feeling kind of tense the past few days.” He watched Fly exercise longingly. “Makes me wish I knew a few of those meditative exercises myself…I suppose it could only help me relax at least a little.”

For the first time, Fly paused in the middle of one of the martial art’s motions and turned her head to look at Thorax. “I could teach you a few if you’d like,” she offered suddenly.

Thorax perked up at this, not actually expecting her to offer. “Really?”

“Sure!” She patted the empty spot on the floor beside her. “Have a seat.”

As Thorax sat himself down beside her, Fly appeared to abort her current move with a waving motion of her hooves before resetting at the beginning. From there, she leisurely started off with a few basic moves, coaching Thorax while the disguised changeling attempted to mimic them. It took a few false starts, but gradually Thorax started to catch on to the nature and pattern to the motions. He was quick to notice that the stretches did feel good on his joints, and could see how the exercises would be soothing and meditative.

But just from watching Fly coaching him and her own doing of the motions he could tell there was far more than just that. “You seem to be very practiced at this,” he observed aloud to the earth pony.

Fly nodded, pausing to correct Thorax’s positioning a little. “I started learning guizhou fa when I signed up for a class in my early teens back in Tall Tale,” she explained. “I’ve kept practicing it ever since, especially in the mornings such as this. I’ve found it’s a good way to start your day.”

“I’ll bet,” Thorax chuckled with a grin. He shook himself after completing one stretch that comfortably popped his back. “I’m already starting to feel the benefits.”

Fly grinned herself. “Funnily enough though, that wasn’t why I first started taking the class,” she admitted as they moved on to the next move. “Like I said before, guizhou fa is also a defensive art—something one can use to adequately protect themselves if threatened. I had figured it wouldn’t hurt to have knowledge like that on hoof in case such a need ever arose.”

Thorax glanced at her. “Has it?”

Fly’s grin only grew and she didn’t reply. “It makes me think of an argument my mother and I had over the matter once years ago,” she said instead, nudging Thorax to watch her as she settled into a new move. Thorax worked to imitate it. “Back when I was getting ready to leave my home in Tall Tale to come up here and set up my shop in Vanhoover, my mother was very leery of the idea of me going off on my own unprotected like that.” She chuckled knowingly. “You know how protective parents can be.”

“Uh-huh,” Thorax said, who didn’t really, but didn’t see a need to bring it up either.

“Anyway, she thought I wasn’t going to be able to stay safe against any threats that might come my way in Vanhoover, making it seem like Vanhoover was just crawling with ponies looking for unsuspecting and alone mares to take advantage of. In reality, she just didn’t want to face me moving out yet, so I think she was trying to do everything she could to get me to stay.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But I knew her argument didn’t hold much weight because I was, by then, quite experienced with guizhou fa and reminded her as such. She wasn’t convinced that was going to be enough though and we started arguing over whether or not guizhou fa would really provide enough protection. So finally, to prove that I really could defend myself, I flipped my dad over my head and pinned him.” Seeing the incredulous look Thorax gave her at this, she quickly added, “Onto the soft cushions of our living room couch, of course.” She then shrugged. “My mother wasn’t too happy about that naturally, but she conceded I had proven my point and that settled that.” She grinned mischievously. “Chapbook thought it was all hilarious. It’s become her favorite tale to relate at family reunions. That one time her big sister pinned our dad.”

Thorax laughed, but made an inward note to never get on Fly’s bad side regardless.

Soon Thorax had picked up enough moves to form a small routine, and the two began looping through the routine so to give Thorax additional practice. They were still at it when Spike arose later and, looking for them after getting dressed, found them going through the mystifying moves in near sync.

Spike tilted his head, confused. “What the hay are you two doing?” he asked aloud, alerting the two that he was now standing in the doorway. “Some sort of ballet?”

Fly chuckled. “It’s called guizhou fa,” she responded simply.

“…huh?”

Thorax glanced over at the dragon but was careful not break his concentration. “It’s a martial art, Spark,” he explained simply.

“…you mean like kung fu?”

Thorax blinked, and glanced at Fly for confirmation.

Fly shrugged, showing that there was a noteworthy difference between the two. “Well, same general idea, at least,” she admitted.

“Are you interested in joining us?” Thorax inquired as he and Fly continued on with the routine.

Spike frowned, appearing doubtful. “I don’t know, it doesn’t look like much, honestly,” he admitted. “It seems too…docile.”

Fly snorted at this. “What were you expecting, then?” she asked.

“I don’t know…something epic.” Spike shrugged casually. “I’d be more interested as soon as you two start doing moves where you can epically poleaxe a stallion with ease.”

Fly laughed, but there was a serious tone underlying it. “You mean like punch through walls and fell whole crowds of ninjas or whatever on your own,” she guessed.

“Yeah!” Spike said, nodding in approval.

Thorax winced and persisted with his routine. “I think I’ll just stick with the meditative exercises,” he stated.

“It’d defeat the point of guizhou fa anyway,” Fly explained as she did likewise. “It’s more a…peacekeeping…sort of combat style, with moves that are at most meant to be quick and sudden so to immobilize, stun, or disarm an opponent without giving them time to react and nothing more. It’s supposed to be as minimally violent and damaging as possible. You don’t go looking for fights with guizhou fa, you use it to prevent them from having to start in the first place.”

“Like I said then,” Spike summarized, feeling his point made. “Docile.”

Fly gazed heavenward and shook her head. “Go downstairs and put my big saucepan on to boil, Spark,” she instructed, looking to send the criticizing dragon away. “I’m thinking I’ll make us cream of wheat for breakfast today.”

Spike frowned. “You know I don’t like cream of wheat.”

Fly smirked. “Exactly.”

Spike rolled his eyes and sighed. “Fine, fine, point made,” he groaned and walked off.

Author's Note:

There's a couple reasons for this chapter, some I naturally can't reveal just yet, but primarily it came about just wanting to learn a bit more about Fly Leaf, and what she might do in private time. It was also an attempt to get her bonding a bit more with her two employees, and largely by happenstance Thorax happened to be the one of chief focus this time around. I think I succeed on both fronts.

The term "guizhou fa" is a mixture of Chinese words/names to create the name of a fictional martial art (as I didn't want to be restricted by the rules or methods of any real life ones should the need arise). "Guizhou" stems from the name of a real breed of pony that live in a mountainous area of China, and are in turn named after the province they were first bred in. Though I searched, I wasn't able to come up with an actual meaning for the word beyond that. "Fa," however, is a Chinese word that means "law," "way," or "method," and I learned has been used in reference to Chinese martial arts, so it seemed a fitting term to use.

PreviousChapters Next