• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 13,850 Views, 4,898 Comments

Grief is the Price We Pay - Scyphi



Spike thought he could get them to trust and befriend Thorax. But they didn't.

  • ...
87
 4,898
 13,850

PreviousChapters Next
No Friends Here

While Spike waited from a safe spot not far from the border, Thorax made his way back into the Crystal Empire while disguised as a guard. As they knew it would, the changeling in disguise found the border actively guarded with patrols, enough that there really wasn’t any way to slip over it without being seen by one. But Thorax quickly found a way to approach the border in such a way that it would appear natural for an apparent member of the guard to be coming from. He just about panicked when one of them stopped him anyway, though.

“Coming back from patrol?” the unicorn guard that stopped him asked matter-of-factly.

“Yes,” Thorax responded in what he hoped was the correct tone of voice for a guard. “Nothing to report,” he then added.

“Not surprised,” the guard said with a faint grin but then took a step back and charged his horn with a spell. “I’ll just cast that changeling detection spell Sunburst devised on you real quick like we’re supposed to and then I’ll let you go.”

Balani devoveo, Thorax cursed in his mind as he nearly jumped in shock at this pronouncement, unaware the crystal ponies had come up with such a spell, as they had nothing like it before. “Oh, uh…” he began as he sought some way out of this without revealing who and what he was or raising any suspicions against himself.

He wasn’t fast enough though, and the unicorn cast his spell anyway. Thorax immediately felt the spell’s magic tug on his disguise, but to the changeling’s surprise, the spell wasn’t nearly powerful enough to have much chance of breaking it. He also noticed the spell was heavily laced with love energy, and Thorax realized the crystal ponies had been paying closer attention than he realized when they last saw him lose his disguise, overwhelmed by the love surrounding Princess Flurry Heart, and put two with two in making a spell they figured would recreate the effect. What they clearly hadn’t realized was that it wasn’t so much the love energy that broke Thorax’s disguise before, but rather the high amount of it made him lose his concentration by accident, instinct leading him to be more interested in feeding than keeping disguised. The spell didn’t even come close to meeting the same sort of levels of emotive energy and thus was sorely underpowered as a changeling detection spell to the point it just wouldn’t work.

But the guard clearly didn’t know that because after casting the spell and seeing Thorax still disguised and largely unfazed by it, he was satisfied and let Thorax proceed. And to the changeling’s relief, he was able to slip the rest of the way into the city without further protest. The rest of the guards all thought he was one of them and let him on through without comment. By a fluke of luck, Thorax found he was still safe from detection and still in position to slip in easily without being detected. He decided not to question it and instead make use of it.

The part he was most worried about out of the way then, Thorax quickly made his way for the towering Crystal Castle placed in the middle of the city. Aiding in his infiltration, he passed very few ponies along the way, and those that he did were either preoccupied with other things, or seemed too sullen to take much note about him. In fact there seemed to be a sullen air hanging around the whole city. Sniffing the air, Thorax found that the sweet smell of love and other positive emotions that had first drawn him here had even decreased somewhat since the last time he was inside the city. Wanting to keep focused on the task at hoof though, he didn’t permit himself too much time to ponder the matter further.

Soon he was slipping inside the castle, and again, the guards stationed at the entrance let him enter without more than a silent nod of greeting in response. They suspected nothing. Inside, the castle was still at high alert, but had otherwise settled into a sense of uneasy calm, enough that the inhabitants were trying to settle back into the normal routine. There seemed to be guards stationed at nearly every doorway now, but they were such a common sight in the crystalline hallways that none of them found anything odd about there being one extra in their midst. Thorax almost thought he should be embarrassed for them as he proceeded to pull the wool over the crystal ponies yet again, but Thorax found he couldn’t take much joy in what he was doing. He wished he didn’t have to sneak around like this at all.

Either way, he didn’t want to push his luck and hurried onward. The first thing he did was find the nearest guard post and stop there to retrieve a set of saddlebags, with the idea of using it to discreetly carry the things he was here to collect, as well as anything else useful he might find. Then he proceeded for the guest room Spike had been staying in up until his banishment, relying on his memory of its location from when Spike had shown him the room while disguised as Crystal Hoof before being discovered, as well as some refresher directions Spike had given him before he had made for the city. He was dreadfully afraid he was going to get lost and waste precious time trying to find the room, adding to the risk that he might be discovered, but was relieved to find that he was still able to find the room without problem on his first try.

Another fear he had was that he would find the room already cleared out of Spike’s belongings, confiscated on the grounds of them being the belongings of an exile, but he found the room untouched and everything still where Spike had left it. As such, he was able to find Spike’s train pass and the bag of disguises right where the dragon had told him they would be. He stuffed them all into the saddlebags on his back then took the time to search for anything else of Spike’s that they might want or need before going. But as Spike had simply been a guest staying over and not a permanent resident, there was naturally little else to find. However Thorax did find a simple cloak in the closest however that probably had been left by a previous occupant as it was clearly too large to be Spike’s. On a whim Thorax decided to take it too, hoping nopony would miss it.

Deciding he had gotten everything he needed and getting antsy at staying this long inside a city he wasn’t authorized to set hoof in unaccompanied, Thorax then proceeded to leave, deciding to exit by taking a slightly different route so to avoid being seen by the same pony more than once, in case said pony noticed something amiss. Along the way, he passed another room with the door open ajar. He at first gave it only a passing glance and would’ve walked right on past it, but he spied something inside that made him pause. Despite himself, he found himself backing up slightly to get a better look at the two ponies inside.

He recognized both of them. One was Princess Twilight herself, stretched out on a bench sitting roughly in the center of the lounge-like room, with her back turned towards Thorax. Sitting beside her was the pink unicorn Thorax recognized as Twilight’s student and after a moment of racking his brain was able to recall her name as Starlight. The two were talking, but in hushed tones, quietly enough that Thorax couldn’t really hear what they were saying. After only a moment of watching though, the disguised changeling realized Starlight was attempting to comfort an upset Twilight.

Given recent events, it wasn’t hard to guess what the princess of friendship might be upset about.

Thorax found himself with mixed feelings about this. On one side, he found the fact that Twilight was this bothered about Spike's fate heartening and that it was clearly something she took seriously. But on the other, he also knew that, despite that, Twilight had not tried to stop it despite having ample opportunity to do so. After Spike proclaimed his intent to leave with Thorax after Shining Armor and Princess Cadance’s ruling of banishment on the changeling, it was clear then that Twilight was upset about it, enough that Spike tried to coerce her into intervening in some manner. Instead, she averted her gaze, sadly apologized aloud, and did nothing, effectively showing her support sided with Shining and Cadance and their ruling.

Spike made good on his promise regardless, departing with Thorax and thinking at least she would come to her senses and finally intervene, but after the two had traveled some distance on their own with nothing of the such taking place, reality became clear. This apparent betrayal had stunned Spike so much that he was unable to find words to speak until Thorax, knowing they couldn’t stay out in the open cold, took over and led the way to the cavern for shelter until they came up with a better plan. And Thorax knew from the emotions Spike put off that this was what bothered him the most about the betrayal. The dragon didn’t understand why Twilight would choose to go against him like that, and Thorax found that, as a result of this, he could only sympathize with the troubled princess of friendship so much about it. If it truly bothered her that much, then she shouldn’t have let it happen at all.

Shaking his head in dismay at the fact it all had to play out like this, he was about to turn and leave, but froze when Shining Armor himself suddenly stepped up to join Twilight and Starlight, approaching from a direction where Thorax wouldn’t have been able to see him coming. The disguised changeling nearly panicked, afraid he would be seen, but Shining Armor seemed to not notice him at all, and focused his look of concern on Twilight.

“Hey Twilie,” he remarked in a soft voice, but in a normal enough of a tone that his voice carried further than Twilight and Starlight’s quiet whispering, enough that Thorax could hear. “How are you holding up?”

Twilight didn’t respond right away, sitting up to look at the prince. “Not well,” she finally admitted, rubbing at her eyes with one hoof. Thorax couldn’t tell from here; had she been crying? She sounded tired too, and Thorax wondered if she had slept much during the night.

“Understandably, as it’s been a rough couple of days,” Starlight added in a somewhat harsh tone, suggesting that she thought the question hadn’t even needed asking.

Shining nodded. “I’m deeply sorry it had to come to all of this too,” he said sadly, and to his credit, he looked like he meant it. “Know I took no pleasure in letting Spike leave like that…he’s been such a friend to the family and all…if things could have been different in any other way…”

“You're sure extending the banishment onto him too for doing that was necessary though?” Starlight challenged suddenly, and looked like she wasn’t yet convinced of this.

Thorax perked up. If there was doubt about any of this, then perhaps there was hope that this could all be resolved peacefully still. Perhaps the banishment could be rescinded as a mistake, Spike welcomed back in with the ponies, and if they could get that far, maybe Thorax had a chance too.

It was too much to hope for though. “You heard Spike,” Shining pointed out glumly. “I don’t know what that changeling told him to make him so utterly convinced, but he wouldn’t leave the changeling’s side, no matter how much we all tried to reason with him. He insisted that the thing was his friend and he wouldn’t abandon him…no matter what. And he was genuinely convinced too; you know we checked him out for any mind tampering spells, but there weren’t any. His thoughts and intents on the matter were truly his own, and when we interrogated him afterwards we only reaffirmed that.” Shining hung his head. “I hate it, but he made his choice, and the truth of the matter is it wasn’t the one we wanted or could support.”

“You weren’t there when I last spoke with him in private, one on one,” Twilight suddenly spoke up, looking at Starlight. “Right before we…” she trailed off, took a deep breath, then jumped to her point. “He made it clear when I told him the changeling would not be permitted to stay in Equestria, let alone the Crystal Empire, that he would go wherever we sent it if he had to, for reasons beyond me, and he would not be swayed…no matter what I said to him. And you can bet that I tried too!”

“And before that,” Shining Armor added, “he had promised to me—no, vowed—that he would side with that thing no matter what we told him...all of which he repeated as we were banishing the changeling and had declared that if we cast him out...he would go with him.”

Starlight nodded to herself at all of this, but Thorax hadn’t known Spike had been so adamant about siding with the changeling even before the ponies had ruled Thorax was to be banished. When he and Spike had marched right into the throne room where Spike had made what Thorax had thought to be a very compelling argument in the changeling’s defense only to have it quickly rejected, Thorax was separated from Spike and thrown into a cell to be kept secure for the time being while the others pulled Spike aside to discuss, or “interrogate him on” as Shining put it, the matter. The changeling had already figured Spike had been checked over for any mental manipulation magic because when nothing of the such was found to be in effect on Spike, Shining had confronted Thorax, trying to get the changeling to fess up on what he had done to “trick” Spike.

Thorax naturally only repeated that it was no trick; what he and Spike were trying to tell them was the absolute truth. Thorax meant them no harm and wished to befriend ponies like he had done with Spike, and the dragon was only trying to help him accomplish that goal. They had both thought, apparently foolishly, they would hear them out if Spike backed him up. Shining Armor unsurprisingly didn’t believe him though and left again. Thorax had thought at the time that they went to again check Spike over for the spells they assumed Thorax had nefariously cast upon him, but he realized now he didn’t actually know what they did next with Spike.

The point though was that while Thorax was present to hear, Spike had been more focused on arguing with the ponies to not banish Thorax or on trying to sell the idea that a changeling could be good, at least until Spike at the last second, as Thorax was being thrust out of the empire, declared that if the ponies would really banish the changeling, then he would leave with Thorax as an outcast too. He didn’t actually know what Spike had said during the space of time they were separated, so Thorax hadn’t known that Spike had argued at length with them about the matter, let alone that the dragon had been so firm as to promise that he would not abandon the changeling even after being told Thorax would not be permitted to stay inside the empire before that final climactic moment…no matter what the consequences. Thorax assumed Spike had meant it as a bluff; that he didn’t think the ponies would really go so far as allow a good friend and ally like him voluntarily banish himself over the matter, especially considering Spike’s shock when precisely that happened anyway. But he found himself both touched that the dragon’s determination to defend the changeling was that strong even before the ruling, and dismayed that the dragon’s loyalty to a friend had been treated with such disregard by the ones he had once seen as his most trusted friends, advisors, and, Thorax suspected, role models if not family.

“Ultimately you have to see Spike didn’t leave us much other choice,” Shining went on regardless. “When everypony failed to talk him out of it, Cadance and I were left only with the undesirable choice of banishing the changeling, especially after he tried to break the thing out of his prison cell. I already feared he was going to cause trouble when we made that ruling, but I never thought he'd actually decide to side with that thing that he'd voluntarily choose to outcast himself and go with it.” He shifted awkwardly. "I'm sorry Twilight, when he asked to be present to watch when we thrust the changeling out of the borders, I shouldn't have let him come..."

"It's not your fault," Twilight assured him, sniffling. "I agreed to it too. If anything, I should've been the one to see it coming after that stunt he pulled trying to break the changeling out of jail..."

But this, of course, Thorax did know. When he and Spike were separated, they were separated for a good while and weren’t entirely sure what was happening to one or the other in the meantime. The changeling was only reunited with Spike when the dragon, fed up by his lack of success to sway the others and fearing for Thorax’s continued safety, decided to slip away and take it upon himself to “sneak” Thorax out of the castle and to safety while he continued to work to sort the mess out. That was when things really started to go awry, because obviously they were both caught in the attempt by Shining Armor himself, and because of how it made them both look, not helped by the fact that Spike had in the heat of the moment tried to lash back, the worst was assumed. This was when the two were brought forward again to hear the final verdict that Thorax was to be banished, confirming what Thorax had already begun to fear would happen by that point in time...and Spike decided he wasn't going to stand for it and came with him into banishment.

“Surely we could’ve just have kept the two apart though, right?” Starlight argued to Shining’s point while Thorax mulled about the previous day’s events. “Cast out the changeling obviously, but keep Spike here and away from him?”

“That might be what the changeling wanted, though,” Shining argued firmly. “It’s the most logical motivation I can come up with for that changeling doing all of this. I think he hoped to use Spike as some kind of pawn in some greater plan. And seeing that he got Spike so convinced to it to the point he had him wrapped around his hoof…there’s no telling what else he could have convinced Spike to do. The very fact Spike independently tried to free the changeling behind our backs, then choose to follow him into banishment, proves it. If he's that loyal to the changeling to voluntarily choose banishment, he could then be a threat in any number of ways to this empire and all inside of it. It just wasn’t safe, and if Spike was going to side with the enemy, then that left me with no choice but consider him an enemy too and treat him as such…like it or not. Changelings are master manipulators after all, and I dread to think what they could’ve accomplished with someone as close as Spike swayed to their side. We had to take into consideration my safety, your safety, the safety of my wife and foal, and the safety of every pony in this empire, and we would be negligent as rulers of this land if we didn’t. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, after all.” Shining sighed. “Besides, you know that when we laid down the charges before him, we gave him one last chance to choose to separate himself from that changeling or face the consequences. Yet even while knowing that, he chose banishment.”

“To be fair though, I don’t think he actually thought we were going to do it,” Starlight pointed out.

Shining shook his head at this. “Banishment is never a matter I or Cadance would joke about or use lightly,” he said. “If we say we’re going to resort to it for whatever reason…we mean it. And from the way Spike responded whenever the subject came up, I know he understood that much. He knew what we could do if he persisted on this path, and yet he stuck to it.”

Twilight didn’t seem so convinced though. “And what if he isn’t an enemy?” she challenged seriously. “What if he gets hurt? Or that changeling isn’t alone, and a whole gang of them do something to him? What then, Shining? How far are we really going to take this?”

“If you think I’m going to let this empire be infiltrated by a changeling and then not go out and sweep out any others that may be hiding in the area, then you don’t know me very well at all,” Shining explained determinedly. “Right now I’m letting that changeling simply think he’s in the clear for the moment and lower his guard. But then we’ll sweep in and prove without a doubt to that changeling and any others that are out there that we will not tolerate changeling trickery in Equestria. If Spike’s gets in trouble for siding with them, then that will be the time to intervene and rescue him, although I must remind you that he still chose to side with a changeling; we’d would still have to treat him as a potential threat even after all that until we can be absolutely certain no changelings will be able to exploit that.”

Twilight studied him intently for a moment. “Shining Armor, look me in the eye and tell me letting Spike to leave with that thing was the right thing for us to do.”

Shining sighed but gave the purple alicorn a serious look. “I know it feels beyond awful, hurts badly, very far from ideal, and that you wanted no part in it. I can’t blame you because I swear to you I feel the same. And I realize how much this is tearing you apart Twilight, and for good reason. But trust me. We made the right call, and you did too in choosing to back Cadance and me up on the matter. Letting Spike leave, as horrible as it was for us to do, was the right thing to do. I shudder to think what that changeling might have used him for if we hadn’t.” His gaze softened. “None of us like this, especially me, believe me. But sometimes being a prince or princess includes making the hard and undesirable choice you hate the most…for the greater good.” Leaning closer, he almost apologetically provided an example. “How do you think Princess Celestia felt when she had to send Luna away all those years ago?”

Twilight didn’t respond to that right away. From where he stood watching and listening through the ajar door, having felt increasingly more and more dejected by what he heard, Thorax locked his eyes onto Twilight and tried to will her to see the flaws in the logic of all of this. Don’t fall for it, princess, he pleaded in his mind. Recognize there’s another way! If not for my sake, then for Spike’s!

But Twilight instead slowly began to nod her head, closing her eyes as they filled with remorseful tears. “For the greater good,” she repeated in agreement.

Thorax’s eyes then fell on Starlight, hoping that since she’d shown doubt before she might try to protest again, but Starlight also bowed her head in submission and instead put a hoof around Twilight to try and comfort her. “I’m so sorry, Twilight,” she said.

Thorax hung his head, sorry as well as he felt the last vestiges of a peaceful and favorable solution out of this mess flutter away, and he realized it would not be coming back.

It was then Shining Armor finally noticed the disguised changeling eavesdropping on the group. “Hey!” he barked sternly, startling Thorax who feared the unicorn would realize who and what he was, but instead Shining jerked his head to tell him to get a move on. “Shouldn’t there be other things for you to do than to listen in on a private conversation?”

Realizing Shining only thought of him as another one of the crystal guards and hadn’t seen through Thorax’s disguise at all, Thorax quickly fumbled a salute so to look the part. “Yes sir, sorry sir!” he declared, and quickly turned and galloped off, resuming his course for the exit.

Every step of the way though he couldn’t help but sense the feeling of dismay that had collected in his stomach. He had heard first hoof now that the ponies had not only been unable to see the truth both he and Spike had tried to convey to them, they hadn’t even stopped to consider it a possibility, and indeed flat-out refused to. They had immediately rejected the obvious in favor of continuing to view changelings like him as nothing more than an evil foe to vanquish without hesitation or mercy…and used that to justify banishing one of their own simply because he chose Thorax’s side on the matter over their own.

Spike was right. They both had no friends here.

Author's Note:

So this chapter...this is the chapter I think most of you have been asking for, as it's the one that finally gives details from perspective of the ponies who had done the banishing, and as such, it's the chapter I kept repeatedly coming back and tweaking. You might think most of the information presented here in the chapter is in response to comments many of you have given but that's surprisingly not the case. Most of this info was already in the chapter prior to my beginning to post the story on the site. What changed was more how the chapter presented that information, and what points got emphasized when.

It's probably still a bit clunky, but I've reached a point that I feel confident enough that it accomplishes what I set out to do, giving more insight towards the nature of the banishment, while still being vague about more specific details, while conveying a sense that there was no joy to be had in the banishment, but the ponies had convinced themselves it was a needed course of action. Again, if the ponies' reasoning behind the banishment still feels weak, that is still deliberate; they're supposed to be so caught up in their...we'll say distrust...for changelings that they miss what should be obvious.

One point in all of this that I want to make sure is absolutely clear though that I fear might not be well understood by you readers, is the fact that the decision to banish Spike and Thorax did not immediately come all at once, and instead came about only after the ponies felt they had exhausted all other sensible (in their mind's eye at least) options first.

Minor edits made to chapter as of 11/24/2016

PreviousChapters Next