• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,321 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,321

A Night With The Bears

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly. We were just goofing off while waiting for club hours to start. I might have accidentally started a whipped cream war when I squirted Vinyl in the ear. That took about an hour to clean up. It was worth it, though. The look she had on her face was priceless. After we were done cleaning, we drove back to her apartment to get fresh clothes, as it was closer. This wasn't the first time I'd had to borrow her clothes because of something we'd gotten ourselves into, and I doubt it will be the last. After we had cleaned up a little, we drove back to the club, and started setting up the main room with Vinyl's audio equipment. That took awhile, and it was boring, so I won't bother with the details.

Finally, it was time to turn on the neon sign outside, and let the patrons pour in. Vinyl's club was the most popular one in town, not that there were many here. Everyone wanted a piece of DJ PON-3 excitement, and they were willing to stand outside for hours to wait for it.

I pushed open the heavy white door, and leaned on the metal frame, inspecting the crowd outside for any troublemakers. They were usually easy to spot; they were the ones that looked wilder, and usually carried some sort of attitude. I could tell just by looking at them that I'd probably have to kick them out later. Sometimes I was wrong about them, but usually I could sniff out a badboy pretty easily. I was probably a little paranoid, but I didn't want Vinyl to get hurt. Even before we started dating, I was always really protective of her, and the club was the easiest place for her to get hurt.

I stepped out into the waning sunlight. It was getting darker earlier these days; November was in full swing, and the days were getting shorter. It was always my least favorite part of the year. Everything is so pretty, but there's so much less light to enjoy it in.

Finishing my scan of the crowd, I whistled to get their attention. They perked up, and looked toward me, anxious for what I had to tell them. Standing up on my tiptoes slightly, so they could see me better, I called out to them.

"Alright guys, it's finally here. Tonight's club night, and DJ PON-3's in there getting the party started. So, first hundred of you, follow me. The rest of you, well, you'll have to wait. We'll let you in as others leave. Lets keep it clean, and safe. You can still have fun, but absolutely no fighting or you'll have to leave. If you haven't been here before, have your buddies explain the rest of the rules. Have a good night." I dropped back to the ground, and started waving the masses through.

When I judged that about a hundred had gone through, I held up my hand, and walked through the door, closing it behind me. I heard a smattering of groans and other noises of frustration, but I walked inside nonetheless. My word was law when it came to the club; I was just as good as Vinyl when it came to running it. I was in charge of keeping everyone in line, so she could focus on the music and give everyone a good time. If I said a hundred, then a hundred it was, and a hundred it would stay. Besides, maximum occupancy was only a hundred and twenty, so I decided to play is safe, rather than sorry. I also didn't feel comfortable with trying to control more people than that.

I walked behind the bar, to my usual vantage point. I waved hello to Bernie, our "bartender." I say that, because as Vinyl and I were underage, alcohol wasn't allowed in the club. That, and a crowd of inebriated patrons was a lot harder to control than a fairly sober one. I perched on my stool behind the counter, and began watching the crowd. They seemed to be having a good time, thrashing and jumping along to Vinyl's mixes. I enjoyed the show myself, entranced as ever by the sight of that blue haired demon spinning the controls. There was a certain energy to the way she moved up there that was absent in all of the other dj's I had seen so far. And I've seen quite a few, thanks to Vinyl.

There weren't any disturbances through out the night, which was odd. It was a nice change, though. I hated having to break up fights, and carry out those who became too out of it, and were a danger to themselves and others. Tonight, though, I could just relax, and let the music and lights wash over me. That's how I occupied myself for hours, until I felt a prodding finger on my arm. I sat up straight, snapping out of the doze that I had fallen into. I looked around for the source of my disturbance, and saw a familiar flashing smile and blue fringe.

"What? Where'd you come from? I thought you were supposed to be working all night." She smiled at me, and held up two cans of orange pop. I continued to look at her, until she placed one in my hand, and pulled me after her with her now free left hand. I knew where we were headed; the rooftop was her favorite place.

I didn't protest much as she dragged me through the packed, sweaty masses. I pulled Vinyl back as she was about to be knocked over by a couple of overly friendly dancers. I flashed a glare at them as we walked through, and they backed up, afraid of what I might do. That oughta teach them to mind their manners. Honestly, people behave like animals sometimes.

We sprinted the last few feet to reach the stairs. Once we unlocked the door and stepped inside, we took a minute to catch our breath. Fighting through a mob for five minutes is hard work. I leaned back against the rough cement block wall, and looked at Vinyl. She still looked a little scared; crowds of people were never her strong suit. They weren't mine, either, but she was absolutely terrified of them. Kinda ironic for a famous dj. Crowds are in the job description.

"Hey, are you okay? I hope those guys didn't bother you much." I smiled at her, and took her hand in mine. I held it tightly, waiting for her to lead me up the darkened stairs. She nodded, and began pulling me after her again. We sprinted up the stairs, making it a race, as always. I made it first, and held open the door for her as she appeared around the corner. She scowled at me, disappointed to have lost again.

"You cheated. You're used to running. I bet you use steroids or something." She folded her arms, and glared at me. I feigned innocence, and closed the door.

"Me, using steroids? Why, that's absolutely ridiculous. Why would I do that? You're just mad because you lost. It's not your fault that I'm more athletic." I flexed my arms, and then ducked quickly as she threw a rock at me. I stuck my tongue out, and ran to the edge of the roof to sit down. I waited for her to join me, kicking my feet against the side of the building. A few seconds later, she plopped down beside me, and flicked me in the shoulder. I laughed, and she just grunted in response. So I leaned over, and licked her nose.

"Ew! What was that? That was absolutely disgusting!" She grabbed a fistful of my hoodie, and wiped her nose on it. I laughed, and she flipped me off. Then, she ended up laughing, too.

"So, you're not mad anymore, right? Because that was the whole point of what I just did. Just so you know, your nose is not delicious at all." She laughed, and ruffled my hair. I took that as a yes. I cracked open my pop, and took a drink. She chose that moment to start tickling me. I ended up laughing, and almost choked. Eventually I fended her off, and we sat back up, to take a break.

I started pointing out the different stars and constellations that I knew, and she listened as I described a few of the myths surrounding certain stars. She really liked the story of the bear constellations. There was once a woman, and the god Zeus fell in love with her. They had a child, and through circumstances, both mother and child were turned into bears. Zeus put them in the sky to protect them from Hera. It's sort of sad, really, but Greek myths often are.

I laid back on the roof, and she laid back with me, her head resting on my chest. We remained like that for a long time, swapping stories about different things, and reminiscing. Then, she fell asleep. I lay there for a little bit longer, listening to her deep, even breaths, then I drifted off as well.