• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,321 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,321

A Small Moment

I looked at Vinyl, and then at the stereo. I wasn't sure how she felt about people messing with it, but I figured she would let me know if she didn't like it, so I turned it on. She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye, but didn't say anything. I turned the knob until I found my favorite Alt-Rock station, and then turned the volume up. She smiled when we heard the song, because it was one that we had listened to often when we were together. We both started singing along, her alto timbre melding seamlessly with my sweet soprano. We had always sung our favorite songs together, and had perfected our pitches to match up like one voice. The car was filled with the sound of our voices, carrying the weight of years of memories. I leaned my head back on the seat, enjoying this small moment. Usually when you first start dating someone, it's kind of awkward at first, but with Vinyl, it was different. Not only had I known her for years, but she was just one of those people it's easy to be with.

The sun was shining on my face, and I was enjoying the sound of Vinyl's voice. She had always had a talent for music, to the point where she had an eighth note tattooed on her left hip, just peeking out of her jeans. (You have no idea how crazy that drives me. Blood pressure, don't betray me now.) Her voice was amazing, and I could listen to it for hours. I started to fall asleep, the gentle vibration of the car lulling me to sleep. I knew that Vinyl would wake me up when we got to the club.
---------------
The car ride was over too soon. I was woken up by a gentle prodding in my shoulder, and opened my eyes to see Vinyl leaning over me, crimson eyes glittering in the late afternoon sun. Her hair was a halo of blue fire framing her face as she leaned through the open car door. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, eyesight still kind of smeary. Stretching like a cat, I reached over and pulled the door handle, sticking my legs out though the opening. I bent myself again, and emerged from the car fully. Reaching for the sky, I pulled out all the kinks in my body, making sure to stretch my shoulders and back as well as possible. Shoulder cramps are awful. I turned around slowly, and walked to the trunk, to help Vinyl unload the equipment. I motioned for her to pop the hatch, and I leaned over to grab the first box. She skipped around the back to join me, and grabbed some cables.

"Hey, sleepy. You might want to check your shirt." Vinyl poked me in the chest, and I looked down quickly. "Looks like somebody is still a drooler!" She laughed as I rubbed frantically at the mark on my shirt. I glared at her back as she skipped away to put the cables inside the club. Then I shook my head, smiling to myself, and followed her inside.

It was dark inside, and cold. I sat the box down in the doorway, and walked further inside. I shivered a little, and wrapped my jacket tight for warmth as I looked for the light switch, figuring that the room would warm up with some lights on. I didn't expect the flying attack from Vinyl. She landed on my back, and almost knocked me over.

"Rawr! I'm a monster, and I'm gonna eat you!" Vinyl nibbled on my ear, causing me to jump slightly. I shook her off, and stood back up, regaining my balance with my pinwheeling arms. She was rolling on the floor, giggling like a madwoman. I sat down next to her, and ruffled her hair. She stopped squirming, and sat up, looking around to get her bearings. She leapt to her feet, and crossed the room to flip the light switch, blinding me. I stood up more slowly, and moved to the doorway, blinking rapidly to regain my sight. I followed her outside, to finish unloading.