• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 1,895 Views, 91 Comments

Quantum Starlight - Rambling Writer



Time is breaking down, and it's up to Starlight and Sunburst to fix it.

  • ...
3
 91
 1,895

Epilogue - A Lesson

Twilight winced as she pushed open the front door to her castle and it creaked like mad. (How could crystal creak?) It was one in the morning and the last thing she wanted to do was wake up Spike or Starlight.

The trip to Griffonstone had been exciting and had gone flawlessly, but it had also been draining and the last meeting had gone on several hours longer than Twilight had been planning on. She’d missed the last train out, and now her wings were aching and her magic was nearly spent and her bones were on fire and she wanted nothing more than to hug her mattress for the next few dozen hours.

A last-gasp spell kept the hinges from creaking again. Twilight tiptoed down the hall, trying to not make any noise. She stopped by Spike’s room and poked her head in. He was snoring peacefully. Good. She stopped by Starlight’s room, just in case she was back from her thing with Sunburst. Starlight was sleeping peacefully. Good.

In her own room, Twilight sighed with relief as she finally got the saddlebags off her aching back. She rolled her shoulders a few times, trying to work out any kinks so they wouldn’t build up as she slept. It felt so good.

But right before Twilight climbed into bed, she noticed something new on her nightstand. She ignited her horn; it was a small stack of parchment, each piece covered in Starlight’s writing. Her friendship report. It was almost enough to drive the weariness away, but Twilight was much too beat to actually read the whole thing through.

Well, at least she could see the title, get an idea of what Starlight had learned. Twilight brightened her horn and squinted at the big letters up top.

Avoiding Peer Pressure and Making Your Own Path

—OR—

How Equestria Nearly Got Destroyed Through Time Travel Again
and it Genuinely Totally Wasn’t My Fault This Time (Honest)

Twilight blinked at the second title, then shrugged and chuckled. “From anypony else,” she muttered as she released her spell and toppled into bed, “that might seem suspicious.”

Comments ( 28 )

Great ending! Now, do Starlight and Serene stay Chronon active? Because that would be a brilliant sequel. Explaining it all to Twilight would be awkward as fuck.:twilightsheepish:

That second title was the best one XD

That was really good! You got skillz, yo.

A great ending to a great story. You've done it again.

7742827 My theory is that since Starlight was able to use the spell to go back in time because she both had and hadn't used it, and since one of her hadn't, she could use it again. Now, since two Starlights and two Serenes were Chronon active, and one of each wasn't, the two of them should still be Chronon active, using the same logic as earlier. Make sense?

Lol, that was a great ride!

8160717 Order a fourth and get two more, free!

7742827 It would be a brilliant sequel.

Comment posted by Circut Breaker deleted May 14th, 2017

This was an interesting story. I did like that you took to keep Starlight's and Sunburst's relations platonic and show and other aspect of their old friendship. I think the time travel aspect could have been explored more, but I think you did a good job with it. I am guessing that Doctor Whooves went thought the same crises as Starlight and the other did and ad sabotaged his own decide before he used it and change his notes, I wonder how he break the cycle without Starswirl's magic spell? I like the ending a lot and the interactions between the all the characters were good too.

This was a good epilogue to the story. Since Minuette has the same Cutie Mark as the Doctor maybe her expertise would be valuable to better understand time travel.

I'm reading it after having it for long time in my reading list, I'm around chapter 8 and yet I can see many ways things could go better, for example...

Option A) When they go to the past, send a message to Celestia telling her that a group of ponies is going to attack

Option B) Instead of looping, go to the friendly draconequs that drink tea with Fluttershy, and with a snap of fingers everything go okay.

Option C) Similar to option A, when they returned after looping first time in Ponyville, send the message, or when the soldiers attacked in the Everfree run to the castle and send the message, they can't attack Ponyville as it's territory of Celestia

Of course, then there could be no story.

This was an interesting read.

7742827
Well this is based on a game called Quantum break. so I would just play that for answers.

9033819
I watched an LP, but this differs so much compared to the game that the game wouldn’t answer questions about this fic.

9033997
There is a secret cutscene at the end of the credits in the game did you see that cutscene?

9034553
Yeah. But a big part of the game is that you cannot change past events. That’s the whole reason that the female protagonist can’t be saved. Whereas this fic changes events that have already happened. Therefore, the game cannot really be used as a resource for this fic.

9034577

Actually the game was about how to change the future and past and here are some examples number 1 Paul is over 26 years older than his younger counterpart and has tried to help stop the fracture but since he try to help Jack monarch solutions was never founded and so Beth never told Jacks brother to build the counter device but since his future self founded monarch solutions Beth was able to tell jacks brother to build the counter device.

9034649
The problem is that every time someone went back in time, everything they did had already happened. The game followed a single universe theory, whereas in this fic, they are in essence creating universes. First with stopping Sunburst from being hurt, and the second being towards the end, where they stop the sabotage as opposed to it happening. Since they follow two different theories about time travel, the game and the fic can’t be used to explain anything about the other one.

9034674
I see where you are coming from now.

Question in the game jack kept his time power’s as seen when he had that choice in the credits so does starlight still have her powers or not🤔

This ending has one incredibly either frightening or amazing implication depending on who you ask...
Starlight can change the past at will. Well, I imagine that if she dies it's game over, or perhaps she will eventually run out of chronons. But if she were immortal (which, with infinite time at hoof wouldn't be impossible to achieve) she'd become a capital gee God.

Such a shame for the dead line, but hey, at least this one still has tea!

10491646
Technically so can Twilight since I believe she's seen a copy of the spell.

Login or register to comment