• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 2,371 Views, 2 Comments

Sunsets - Horizon Spark



Sunset Shimmer and Princess Celestia start having a little conversation as they watch the sunset go by.

  • ...
2
 2
 2,371

Sunsets

Author's Note:

I honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time on this, but I hope you like it still. I just did this to honor one of my favorite characters ever!

As always leave any comments or likes and enjoy!

Sunsets

If one were to ask Sunset Shimmer what was her favorite hobby, you would get many answers. Whether it was reading a nice book, jamming on the guitar, simply spending some quality time with her friends, she enjoyed every single one of them. But one hobby she always loved above all else, was to just sit outside in the evening, and just stare into the sunset.

The sun shined brightly into the sky as it was beginning to fall over the horizon. The brilliant shade of orange, red, and yellow mixed with the green hills and dark blue sky made for an image Sunset will never tire from. But the sun was a little more…nostalgic than what she was used to.
The Equestrian Sun had a particular feel that Sunset couldn’t get enough of. While it was true that this sun was no different from the sun in the human world, this one felt much brighter and warmer. Then again this sun was being guided by Princess Celestia, the co-ruler of land and her former teacher. Of course this sun was much better in comparison; only the nicest and most heavenly Pony in the world can make such a beautiful work of art every day.

A deep sigh exhaled from her mouth as she closed her eyes. Thinking of Celestia just reminded her of her past. The days where she was just her personal student, a very powerful Unicorn that aced every assignment she was given with flying colors. A prideful pony that was ready to prove herself to her own teacher.

But it was that pride that was her biggest downfall. Years ago she made the mistake of going against her teacher and demanding to become a ruler of Equestria. She thought that she was past the simple lessons she was learning and was ready to finally achieve the power she thought she rightfully deserved. But when she was denied that power and was removed from position of her pupil, she lashed against her ran away. Ran to another world across dimensions where she can find a way to get the power she selfishly desired.

“This is the biggest mistake you’ll make in your entire life!”

Tears threatened to fall down her as she remembered the last words she said before guards escorted her from her sight. Little did she know that those words were turned to into a threat. A revenge plan to get the power she rightfully deserved.

“Sunset? Sunset are you still out here?”

A familiar and heavenly voice called her name, prompting her to look behind. There stood the radiant Princess of the sun, Celestia. She gave out a warm smile as she laid eyes on her former student. She stepped forward ever so slowly and ruffled her feathers as she sat right next to the orange Unicorn.

After a minute of soaking the sun’s rays Celestia finally spoke. “And how’s my wonderful little sunset doing on this fine evening?”

Startled by the question, Sunset quickly shook her head before looking at her mentor. “Oh…not much Celestia. Just enjoying the Sunset, nothing exciting or anything like that.”

The Princess listened as her former student gave her a wide unassuming smile. But behind the smile she knew that it hid something she didn’t want her to see. “Sunset, I have a feeling that you were doing more than just watching the Sunset. Were you doing a little reminiscing about the past?”

Sunset gasped as her ears shot up. “WHAT! H-how did you know?”

“When you have lived as long as I have, you tend to pick up some hints on what a pony is actually thinking. Like how your eyes are all red and puffy, and I think I can still see some tears on your fur.”

Sunset wiped her eyes and felt the wetness on her hooves. Seeing that her bluff was ruined, she laid down on the floor with a melancholy sigh. “I’m sorry your majesty. I guess I was just thinking about all I’ve done back then. Almost forgot how terrible I was, betraying your trust and going into the Human World, causing havoc and ruining friendships. And when I learned about Twilight’s ascension, I stole her crown and tried to use it to take over all of Equestria…”

A pang of guilt spread through her heart as the memories of the past came back. “It’s a wonder that you were able to forgive me that easily.”

Suddenly a soft blanket of white feathers draped her back. She felt a warm lovely feeling surge through her body. Before she could respond, she felt Celestia nuzzled her face making her moan out of bliss.

“My little sunset.” Celestia said in an angelic tone. “You know that I forgive you for your past. You were always a nice pony, you just made a mistake. Besides, you’ve accomplished so much in your absence.”

“Was it really enough for you to forgive me?”

“More than enough. You’ve stayed in a realm who shunned you for your actions, and despite everything you stayed and made up for what you’ve done. You faced your challenges never giving up and sticking to your morals. You even saved that world twice. All that and you coming back to see me after all this time makes me glad to have had a pupil like you.”

Sunset blushed as she got a little closer to her former mentor. “I know Princess, I just wish I realized how lucky I was to have a teacher like you. Maybe then I wouldn’t have had to steal a magical crown, turn into a raging she-demon, and get blasted by rainbow magic.”

“Well, while it’s not the most ideal way to learn about the magic of friendship, the Elements of Harmony has certainly changed you for the better.”

Sunset’s mood perked up as she heard this. “Definitely for the better. But you really have my friends from Canterlot High to thank. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. They were there for me when the entire school hated me for what I’ve done. While it was rather difficult at first for them to trust me, they turned into the best friends I could have ever asked for.”

Celestia gave her a proud grin. “That’s good to know. Because it was those friends that helped you stop the sirens.”

Sunset started to blush as she remember the victory her and the girls had over The Dazzlings. “We really just did what we had to do. Honestly I think Twilight’s accomplishments outweigh mine by a landslide.”

“Funny you should mention that. If I recall, Twilight herself told me everything that happened. That it was you who rallied your friends when the Sirens had everypo-body under their control. She told me that it was ultimately you fought back and won when all the odds were stacked against you. You saved a lot of people my little student, I’m so proud of you!”

The two shared a small hug, enjoying the loving embrace they haven’t felt in many moons. Moments later, Celestia used her magic to control the sun and lower it deeper into the horizon. They sky was starting to get much darker as the light died down making way for the moon to take its place. Celestia turned her head towards Sunset, and smiled as she saw her stare into the distance. “Remember when we first watched the sunset together? You always told me that it was your favorite pastime.”

“It still is. Even in the human world I love to just watch the sun go by before the days end. I especially like to watch it on top of the school roof. Although to be honest, it will never be as great as yours.”

“Thank you Sunset.” The two continued to gaze upon the horizon, the sun still blazing like fire over the hills. “By the way, I was thinking of something. About the human world that is.”

“What is it?”

“The Twilight Sparkle who resides in the human world, how is she?”

‘Twilight…’ Sunset thought as she was reminded of the events at the Friendship Games. After that she transferred to Canterlot High, and her friends quickly made her feel at home. “She’s been fine after what happened at the Friendship Games. She’s really coming out of her shell, meeting new people and especially hanging out with me and the girls. Always good to see her smiling.”

Celestia nodded silently. “Odd to think there exists two Twilights, and she’s so different than ours. If you don’t mind me asking, was it true that she captured magic from your friends and turned into that…Midnight Sparkle?”

Immediately, Sunset lowered her head. The uncomfortable memory of that…monster attacking her friends made her shudder.

Celestia quickly noticed. “My apologies Sunset, didn’t mean to bring up negative thoughts, you don’t need to tell me if you want.”

“Don’t worry Princess, its fine. Yes it is true that she turned into…her. It was terrifying to say the least; it was like I was facing my demon again. But despite everything she threw at us, I was able to stop her and bring Twilight back. Of course it did help that you have five friends and a talking dog on your side”

“Yet another accomplishment my former student has made. And speaking of students…it seems like you’ve acquired your own with Twilight.”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “Really? I think you're being a little too modest. I'm no teacher."

"Then who told the Human Twilight that there was another way to learn about the magic of friendship? Who promised to be there whenever she needs a shoulder to lean on? I think you two fit the role as teacher and student perfectly."

"But I can’t be a teacher like you, heck I’m still going to Princess Twilight for friendship advice.”

“And yet the Human Twilight is coming to you to learn the Magic of Friendship. You saved her from the darkness. That Twilight believes in you Sunset, and you have your friends to help you every step of the way. You will make a great teacher.”

“But what if something happens to her and I can’t fix it? What if I fail as a teacher and as a friend?

“Trust me Sunset you won’t fail, and you want to know why?” Celestia lifted her former student’s head towards her and gave her a wide smile.

“Because I believe in you Sunset Shimmer. No matter what happens in the future, no matter what you do, you will always be my personal student.”

It was that moment that Sunset eyes started to water. Without warning she leaped onto her teacher and gave her a tight embrace. She started to sob openly, as she let go of years of regret. “Thank you…for everything.”

Celestia smiled back as she returned the hug, happy to be with her student once again. “Your welcome, my little sunset.”

Comments ( 2 )

good story very sweet warmed my heart

Nice work

Login or register to comment