• Published 21st Sep 2016
  • 4,231 Views, 67 Comments

Should I Stay (or Should I Go?) - fallen starr



Sunset Shimmer is faced with something she hadn't cared so much about. Life after High School. With her friends making plans to attend different schools, some far from Canterlot High, and a growing homesickness, Sunset isn't sure where to turn.

  • ...
2
 67
 4,231

Chapter One

The corridors in the castle were completely empty. Not a single guard was on post. Her hooves echoed loudly as she trotted, looking for any sign of movement, any sign that she was not totally and utterly alone. She looked up ahead, at the heavy door.

Guards should have been at the ready. Two on either side of the door. One making rounds patrolling the halls. The maids keeping the place clean. Schools being shown around on strict guided tours, filling the courtyard outside the windows with gleeful shouts. Staff ensuring visiting dignitaries had every level of comfort. Bureaucrats doing whatever it was they did. Sunset had ever cared for that, instead keeping her eye on the main prize.

Again, even during the day, the lack of guards by the door was worrying. She wasn’t a threat anymore, but at one time she had been. With a sigh she reached out with her magic…

She reached out with her magic…

Stomping her front hooves on the ground, she closed her eyes and focused. She could do this. She was a unicorn. One of the most gifted unicorns in Equestria. She had enough magical power to do nearly anything she wanted.

It would not come. Her magic wasn’t responding to the call. There was nothing there. She tried harder, searching deep within herself for that solid thread. She had used it last time she was here. Her breaths were becoming shorter, her eyes wide as she looked around for anyone. Someone had to be there to help her. She ran forward, pushing with all her might against the door, but it wouldn’t budge. Tears were soaking into the fur on her cheeks and dripping onto the floor.

There was no one. All the doors in the hall were closed

She was utterly alone.


Sunset Shimmer sat up in her bed, looking around wildly. She caught her breath as she took in her surroundings. A dresser full of clothing, and a closet with the same. A desk littered with papers and books and electronics. Her blankets laid piled on the floor. Slowly, she laid back, relief flooding through her. It was a dream. Nothing but a dream.

The door to her room creaked open and the familiar face of Celestia peered in. Sunset sat up, looking at the woman who had taken her in. Celestia’s eyebrows raised in worry as she stepped into the room. She bent down and retrieved the tangle of sheets and blankets off the ground. “Is everything okay?”

Sunset watched as she separated the coverings. “Just a bad dream.” She pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. “I couldn’t reach my magic. It was terrifying. There was no one at the castle, and I was…I was alone.”

The blankets were separated and lying on the floor again. Celestia sat on the bed next to Sunset and wrapped an arm around her. She used her free hand to gently bring Sunset’s face up around to look into her eyes. “I won’t leave you alone, Sunset. Neither will your friends. We all care about you.”

Unable to hold Celestia’s gaze, Sunset looked at her toes. “I know. I just.” She sighed. “I miss my home. The feel of magic running through my body. The cobblestones under my hooves. Everything.”

Celestia rubbed Sunsets back. “Why don’t you go back?” she asked. “The portal is always open now, isn’t it? You can always go and visit.”

Sunset nodded. “It’s open. At least, to anyone with magic. So myself and the girls.” They sat in silence for a moment, until Sunset yawned.

Standing, Celestia sighed. “Why don’t you get some rest, and we can talk about this more in the morning.”

“Yeah, that sounds good.” Sunset flopped back, her head bouncing once on her pillow. “We both have school, anyway.” She started at the feeling of a sheet falling over her. She looked over and saw Celestia smiling as she covered her charge with a blanket as well.

“Sweet dreams.”

“Yeah, goodnight.”

Her door closed with a click. She listened as Celestia walked back down the hallway to her own room and that door shut. When the school had been totally destroyed when she had turned into a she-demon, her foster parents had kicked her out. That had been her final strike, and she was going to be put into a group home, out of district, and sent to another school.

Celestia had stepped in. It had been strange at first, living with Principal Celestia. There had been rules and structure Sunset didn’t think she needed, that had reminded her of a time before she came to the human world, when she had spurned every good thing offered to her because she felt she deserved better.

Sunset rolled onto her side, facing the wall. This Celestia was different. She wasn’t thousands of years old. Only decades. She lost her temper. She wasn’t Princess Celestia, she was just Celestia. She was just a person.

This world was so different than home, and yet so much like home it made the homesickness worse. She squeezed her eyes tight together. Tomorrow would be a better day. Her friends would be at school and she could talk to them.

Celestia was right. They would always be there with her.


A loud slam of a tray onto the lunch table captured everyone’s attention. Twilight dropped into her chair, righting the chug of milk that had fallen over. She took a deep breath in and closed her eyes before releasing it slowly.

“Well now, what’s got you so worked up?” Applejack asked.

Her cheeks were still red, but she seemed to have calmed some. “Everfree rejected my application. My references said I wasn’t to be trusted.” She took another deep breath. “I could just scream. Everyone here will know Cinch is just angry but there isn’t a way to prove it. She blocked me from my dream school.”

A pale yellow hand patted Twilight’s shoulder. Rarity scoffed, putting her sandwich on the tray. “You could fight it.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, by the time anything actually was accomplished, it would be too late. I’ve already been accepted by two of my back-ups. I’m just waiting to hear from the rest before I make my decision.” Finally, she relaxed back into her chair and picked up her sandwich. “Which schools did you girls apply to?”

Sunset sat her milk down, her stomach tightening. Colleges.

“Oh, I’ve applied to one school that specializes in fashion design, it’s very small. I’ve also applied to several schools with a fashion design major, as most don’t seem to offer it.” Of course Rarity would want to go to some school across the country to study fashion. Probably some exclusive place a famous fashion designed graduated from.

“Ah, I was accepted at U of C, so I’m just going there.” With two sports scholarships, she would be crazy not to, and it would be returning home for Dash.

“Me, too. They have a nice pre-vet program.” Fluttershy was following Dash, of course. Not that it really mattered. Pre-vet was standard and could be done nearly anywhere.

“Oh, the Cakes want me to go to this really great culinary school, but my parents aren’t so sure I should. I applied anyway, but I also applied other places.” Pinkie was always the wild card. Sunset half expected her to just take over The Sweet Shoppe once she graduated.

“I’m thinking I might just go to the local community college. Stay on the farm and help out. It’s what Mac did.” Apple Jack, ever practical and focused on her family and the farm.

A silence fell over the group and Sunset looked up to see everyone looking at her. She looked at each of them before realizing they were waiting on her. “Oh. I’m not going anywhere. I wouldn’t even know where to start.” She could follow any of them somewhere, but college was different than high school. She would have to make new friends, because her current friends were going to separate, and even the ones that would be near each other wouldn’t talk as much, because they found other people who are interested in the same things and— Someone was forcedly pulling on her arm, causing her to nearly fall out of her chair.

She glared over. “What the hay, Twilight?”

“We’ve got to get you to the guidance office pronto. It isn’t too late to apply, but it is almost.” She looked panicked. “You can’t not go to college.”

Sunset freed her wrist from Twilight’s grasp, placing her hands on Twilight’s shoulders. “Listen, it’s okay. I just don’t think school, here, if for me. I can’t study magic or anything. I’m just going to…”

Twilight waited. Wrinkling her brow in concern, Twilight stepped closer. “Going to do what, Sunset?”

Sunset shook her head, shrugging. “Figure things out. I’ll be fine.”


Dinner was quiet that night. Since moving in, Celestia had been careful to only serve vegetarian meals, though that had clashed with her own eating habits from before. Tonight was Portobello burgers and sweet potato fries. Sunset sighed, poking at one of the fries. She wanted to talk to Celestia about it, to look into those warm eyes, so full of care and trust, and explain everything, starting again with the dream. She looked up to see Celestia watching her.

She sighed again, straightening up in her seat. “I’m sorry. I was thinking.” She waited a beat before continuing, looking back down at her half-eaten burger. “Everyone is leaving. They’ve all applied to colleges and have all these plans.” She swallowed, looking up. “High school doesn’t last forever, and I knew that. I didn’t care at this time last year.” She pushed her plate away, shaking her head. “I have nothing here, and home holds nothing. A disappointed princess, and a reflection of what I could have been. I don’t…” she the burning as the tears began to build. “I don’t know what I’m going to do.” She buried her face in her hands, taking deep breaths to try to stop the tears.

She flinched slightly at the surprise of Celestia rubbing her back. The chair scooted closer to her and they sat like that for a moment, in silence while Sunset collected herself and Celestia comforted her. After she was certain tears wouldn’t stream down her face, she looked up at Celestia, sniffling.

Celestia smiled at her, holding one of her hands. “This is a scary part of growing up. There is a lot of pressure to make these next few years be the focus on which you hang your future, and as a principal I understand the pressure that are put onto your shoulders.” Celestia pushed Sunset’s hair behind her ears. “It’s okay if you don’t have everything planned out. I don’t think anyone ever really does. I didn’t set out to become a principal, it’s just the way it worked out. As your,” she hesitated for a half second, just long enough for Sunset to notice “guardian, I know that you can do whatever it is you want. Even if it takes a while, or a path you never knew it would take.”

Sunset swallowed and took another deep breath. “I just want to go home.”