• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 595 Views, 9 Comments

The Single Life - DwarvishPony



Octavia finds herself single after a break-up she didn't see coming. Of course she does what any sane pony would and decides to win her ex back.

  • ...
2
 9
 595

The Letter

"Ugh... Why did you let me drink so much?" Octavia groaned.

"Not so loud." Lyra whispered, clutching her head between her hooves with a slight whimper.

"Sorry."

"You hungry?" Lyra asked, fighting the lurch of her stomach.

"I could probably use the food. I haven't eaten in quite some time." Octavia noted while her stomach growled loudly in agreement. "How does the Hayburger sound?"

"I don't care where, so long as I can get the greasiest, friedest thing on the menu."

"Agreed."

~~~

The Hayburger was, thankfully, mostly empty. The scent of deep fried potato hung thickly in the air, offering a promise of tasty food and mild coronaries. Octavia and Lyra sat in the darkest corner they could find, looking mildly suspicious in sunglasses and floppy hats.

"I don't get how Bon-Bon can do it. She drank just as much as me and she still got up early to work the shop." Lyra traced a hoof on the table glumly. "She really is amazing."

"Perhaps she's a robot or something. I don't know how a normal pony could do it." Octavia joked.

Lyra chuckled softly before the two settled into silence for a few moments. The food, while not usually Octavia's first choice, was delicious. Exactly what she needed to settle her stomach. It did nothing for the throbbing headache or the harsh light outside her sunglasses, but she'd done all she could for those. It was Lyra who finally broke the quiet.

"So," She said slowly. "what are you going to do now?"

"I was probably going to go home and rest. I don't have any other plans for today."

"No, I mean about... you know." Even with the hat and sunglasses, concern could be easily seen plastered on Lyra's face.

Octavia sighed, staring down at her food as her appetite vanished. For a moment, it looked as though she wouldn't respond.

"I'm going to talk to her. Maybe... maybe we can work this out. We're not the first couple to hit a rough patch, are we?" Octavia's voice carried no conviction. Lyra wasn't sure who Octavia was trying to convince. "Maybe we were both just having a bad day."

"Okay, but-" Lyra stopped herself.

"But what?"

"What if things don't go the way we want them to? What if Vinyl's really done?" Worry laced Lyra's question. Clearly it wasn't a topic she was eager to consider herself.

"I don't know." Octavia whispered. "We've been together so long that I just can't picture my life without her." It was impossible for anypony to miss the cracking of Octavia's voice.

"But it probably won't come to that. You two love each other. Even someone like me can see that." Lyra waved a hoof dismissively in an attempt to shoo away the gloom that threatened to settle over them. "I'm sure if you talk to Vinyl she'll want to work things out as much as you."

"You think so?"

"I know so." Lyra smiled genuinely. "Lets finish up. You can go talk to her after we eat. I wanted to go check on Bonny anyway."

~~~

It took a considerable amount of asking around to actually track down where Vinyl was staying. Of course the friend she'd said she was crashing with was Neon Lights. He'd booked a room at a local bed and breakfast for an indefinite amount of time while working with Vinyl. It took a bit more asking around and getting lost twice, but she'd finally found the cozy cottage that Neon (and Vinyl by extension) was staying in.

The elderly couple had been more than willing to let Octavia visit 'her dear friend Neon Lights.' Octavia felt a bit guilty for lying to the couple, but she was afraid that if she was completely open with them that the couple would refuse to be a part of the domestic goings-on of Vinyl and Octavia.

Now Octavia stood at the doorway to Neon's room. Muffled voices slipped from beneath the door, indecipherable in what they were speaking about. She took a deep breath to steel herself before knocking three times. The sound on the other side of the door stopped. Hoofsteps echoed off the wooden floor on the other side of the door as Octavia's heart began to race. The door opened slowly, revealing Neon on the other side.

"Octavia." He sounded mildly surprised. "I didn't know you were gonna show up here. What's up, girl?"

"Oh, um... Hi Neon. I was wondering if, um, if Vinyl was here?" Octavia shifted uncomfortably from hoof to hoof, suddenly very aware of how awkward she felt.

"Ooh. Vinyl," Neon said slowly as he glanced into the room. "She, uh, she just left actually."

"Oh. Do you know where she went? I was hoping to speak with her."

"I don't think that's a good idea." Neon said evenly. "She seemed pretty adamant about not wanting to speak with you any time soon."

Octavia's heart dropped. Was Vinyl really that upset with her?

"Are you certain? I just need a few minutes. Perhaps I could come in and wait for her?"

"I don't think that would do any good." Neon admitted. From somewhere behind Neon, Octavia heard a crashing sound, like somepony had knocked a vase over.

"What was that?" Octavia leaned a bit, trying to peek around Neon.

"What was what?"

"That noise. It sounded as though something broke."

"Oh, I was... listening to some records. That's probably just the needle jumping. It does that sometimes." Neon leaned against the door frame, blocking Octavia's view in the process. "Listen, Vinyl was pretty clear that she was done with the whole dating thing. She said that on the off chance you stopped by to tell you that she was gonna pick up her stuff the day after tomorrow."

"I-" Octavia was at a loss for words, her heart having dropped so much that she was fairly certain it had moved into her stomach permanently. "Okay." She turned away, refusing to show Neon that she was crying. Without another word, she walked away.

~~~

Octavia spent the next few days in a daze. The world seemed to just continue along, oblivious to the sorrow that had become her new companion. She'd spent most of her time at home, curled up in bed refusing to move for anything other than eating a few morsels of food and using the loo. It was only at Lyra's refusal to take no for an answer that she left her home at all, accompanying the turquoise mare to the park for some fresh air.

"Hey, chin up." Lyra patted Octavia's back awkwardly. "I'm sure Vinyl just needs a little space. Give her some time and she's sure to come around."

Octavia said nothing as she stared from the park bench the two sat upon. She was in no mood to be cheered up. Honestly, she wasn't even sure why she had agreed to go out in the first place. Vinyl was supposed to drop by to pick up her things, and Octavia was secretly hoping that she would be able to talk to her. Maybe now that it had been a few days Vinyl would be more receptive to talking.

Octavia was going through multiple silent conversations in her head, trying to figure out the best way to encourage her marefriend to stay while she passively observed the park's inhabitants. She felt a tinge of bitterness as she watched some of the ponies in the park. Fillies and colts played and laughed together. Couples cuddled on blankets and benches, whispering sweetly to each other. It was enough to make Octavia sick.

'Why do they get to be happy? Vinyl and I used to be like that. What happened?' Octavia's introspection spiraled into a bittersweet collection of recalling happier times and wondering where it went wrong. What had she done wrong?

"Octavia? You still there?" A light shake pulled Octavia back to the present as she looked about in mild surprise.

"I- what? Sorry, I was lost in thought, Lyra."

"I asked what you were thinking about. I kinda lost you for a second."

"Sorry. I was just thinking about the visits to the park Vinyl and I took. We used to picnic under that oak tree there," She pointed a hoof at a large tree. "and over there was where we shared our first kiss." Octavia pointed to another bench that sat unoccupied down the path. "We have a lot of memories here..." Her voice trailed away.

Lyra's ears flattened to her head.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know you and Vinyl had a history here. I shouldn't have brought you to the park. We can go if you want." Octavia remained silent. "Octavia?"

"Hmm? Oh, right. I suppose leaving would be best. We've been here how long now?"

"A few hours. Octavia, you're really starting to worry me. When's the last time you ate something?"

"I had a sandwich for lunch." Octavia left the 'yesterday' off the end of her sentence.

"Okay," Lyra said slowly, still eyeing her friend with concern. "Just make sure you're taking care of yourself."

Octavia forced a smile and looked Lyra in the eyes.

"I promise to take care of myself." She wrapped the unicorn in a tight hug before standing. "I think I'll head home. Vinyl's stopping by for her things and I was hoping to speak with her."

"Okay. Let me know how it goes. I'm rooting for you guys." Lyra smiled sadly.

Octavia left Lyra in the park, trotting quickly down the street towards her home. Doubt gnawed at the gray mare as she went.

'What if Vinyl didn't want to work things out?' She passed Sugarcube Corner. 'What if Vinyl's met somepony already?' Octavia trotted up the walk towards her home. 'What if she hates me?' Octavia unlocked her front door and stepped inside. 'What if-'

Octavia froze, her mind going blank. Things were missing. A recliner, some decorations, Vinyl's records. Gone. Octavia's hooves carried her forward despite her silent protests. The rest of the house matched the living room in terms of missing objects. All of them had one common thread to them as well: everything missing belonged to Vinyl.

Octavia's ears were ringing as she walked back into the living room. This had to be a dream. Right? A glint of sunlight on metal caught Octavia's eye. A key sitting atop a piece of paper. A vinyl record keychain marked the key as Vinyl's. With a dry throat, Octavia picked up the paper and began to read:

Dear Octi,

I'm sorry to do it like this, but you weren't home. I'm gonna go on tour. I think I need to get out of Ponyville for a while. Clear my head, ya know? I'll never forget the times we had. You're an amazing pony, Octi. Don't ever forget that. I'll always love you.

-Vine

"Octavia? Are you in here?" For a brief moment, Octavia's heart leapt. She looked to the open door, half-expecting to see Vinyl having returned. Instead Bon-Bon stood in the doorway.

Time stopped for a moment as Bon-Bon took in what she was seeing. It didn't take long for her to piece it together. Octavia confirmed it anyway.

"She's gone, Bon-Bon. She's really gone." Octavia could hold it in no longer. She broke down into wracking sobs as Bon-Bon crossed the room and held her close.