• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 594 Views, 9 Comments

The Single Life - DwarvishPony



Octavia finds herself single after a break-up she didn't see coming. Of course she does what any sane pony would and decides to win her ex back.

  • ...
2
 9
 594

The Break-Up

Octavia was positively giddy. Though she tried to maintain her calm demeanor, nothing could hide the spring in her step as she trotted through Ponyville. Her marefriend, one Vinyl Scratch, had been gone early that morning. This wasn't unusual, as Ponyville's resident DJ was often an early riser. What had been different was that there was a note for Octavia left on the fridge.

'Octavia: Lunch, Vanilla Bean's Cafe'

"She still remembers." Octavia mused just outside the cafe. Vanilla Bean's had been the cafe Vinyl and Octavia had gone on their first date together.

It was a simple cafe, tastefully decorated in lovely earthy hues. Soft jazz music slipped out of the open doorway and let itself be carried down the street on the gentle breeze that blew through Ponyville. Octavia smiled lightly at the fond memories she'd had in this place. She could see Vinyl sitting at one of the tables, her back to the window Octavia peered through.

Octavia entered and slid into the cushioned seat across from Vinyl, unable to hide her smile. Vinyl wore a cool expression. One that seemed to be simultaneously unapproachable yet beckoned Octavia to lean closer. Octavia would be lying if she said it wasn't a bit of a turn on whenever Vinyl gave her that look. On the table sat two drinks: A cup of coffee with a bit of cream for Vinyl and a steaming latte for Octavia.

"It's been a while since we've visited here, hasn't it?" Octavia mentioned off-hoofedly as she picked up her drink and inhaled it's relaxing aroma. "What made you decide to come here?"

"Oh, uh... you know." Vinyl waved a hoof dismissively. Clearly something had Vinyl distracted.

'I wonder what's on her mind?' Octavia caught herself wondering as she found herself once again slipping away into those beautiful rosy eyes... 'Wait.' Ocatavia pulled herself back to the edge of the abyss with a sudden- and startling- thought. 'Our favorite drinks, the place we went to on our first date, and Vinyl is unusually distracted? She can't be- I mean- Is she?' Octavia's mind started to race as she considered the possibility playing out before her. 'I mean, I've dreamed about it. I know we've discussed it some time in the past and agreed we weren't ready yet. But is Vinyl really thinking about marriage?!'

Octavia flushed a deep crimson as she stared into her drink.

"S-so what brings us here, Vine? We haven't had the chance to go out like this for some time. Any special reason?" Octavia's heart was a jackhammer threatening to break through her ribs and fly forward with enough force to break the window up at the front of the cafe.

"Oh, uh... just felt like it was a good place for us to be." Vinyl rubbed a hoof against the back of her neck nervously. She glanced away quickly, looking at the other patrons scattered about enjoying their drinks. Some were alone, others in pairs or small groups. All of them seemed to be enjoying a lovely lunch before they'd have to return to whatever business awaited them later in the evening.

Octavia liked to make up stories sometimes about them. The loving couple in the corner whispering sweet nothings before returning home for a more intimate setting, the coworkers who just needed a break from their micromanaging boss, the elderly stallion who liked to visit the cafe where he and his late wife had gone every Sunday for more than forty years. A touch of nostalgia settled on Octavia as she and Vinyl settled into silence. The silence continued for some time, with the two mares sipping at their drinks and occasionally looking out at the patrons.

"So..." Vinyl was the first to break the silence. "I've been thinking a lot, Octavia..." Vinyl paused for a moment, gathering her words. "And I think its time we talked about something pretty serious."

Octavia's heart stopped dead. 'Sweet Celestia, is this really how she's going to do it? It would be such a perfect story to tell our friends.' Octavia fought to contain herself as her heart went from zero to one-hundred in the time span it took a hummingbird to flap it's wings.

"Yes, Vine?" Excitement crept into the edges of Octavia's voice.

"We've been together a long time. We've been through a lot together. Good and bad, ya know?"

"Mhmm." Was all Octavia could muster in response.

"And lately I've felt like we need to change the dynamic. Like, the way things are is all right but we've been stuck in a rut. And that's not always a bad thing." Vinyl continued. "But for us, I think there should be a... change." The white mare had begun to sweat profusely.

"Mhmm." Octavia replied a bit softer. Tears of joy had begun to spill down her cheeks and she pressed a hoof to her muzzle to keep herself from interrupting her marefriend and shouting 'yes!' at the top of her lungs.

"Which is why I've been thinking a lot lately," Vinyl wiped the sweat from her brow. "and I think it would be best for us if we saw different ponies."

The tiny part of Octavia's mind that didn't freeze up occupied itself with worrying that her heart really had just stopped.

"I- what?" Octavia's voice cracked ever-so-slightly. "W-What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry to spring this on you like this Octi, but you must have felt that something's been different between us for the last few months."

It was true, if Octavia were being honest with herself. The more romantic side of their relationship had slowly given way to comfortable evenings at home watching television rather than passionate love-making. But that was a normal part of relationships, right? Even after three years of being together the spark of passion was still there. Right?

"I don't think we've been... us for a while now. I mean I've been busy lately with making a new album, and you've been doing your composing and your shows around Ponyville, and I think somewhere in all that busy we lost sight of whatever brought us together. And no matter how hard I've searched... I can't find it." Vinyl was crying now, too. Like she'd hurt herself and no matter how tough she wanted to seem she was clearly in pain.

Octavia's brain, however, was finally starting to process events and reanalyze the situation. She hadn't been brought here for a proposal. She'd been brought to be dumped! The location, the favorite drink, the crowd thanks to the lunch rush; Octavia was struck by a thought that horrified her almost as much as the words coming from Vinyl: Vinyl didn't want her to make a scene.

"I-I don't understand, Vine. I thought things had been going swimmingly. Are you saying you haven't been happy?" Octavia could barely keep herself from breaking down as her voice cracked even more.

"I didn't mean-" Vinyl started before cutting herself off. "I... yeah. I think that's what I'm saying." She sighed. "I've already packed my essentials. I'm going to stay with a friend for a bit. Maybe after some time apart-"

"Well what is it that I've done to make you unhappy? Because I'll change it, Vine. We don't have to have things end like this." Octavia interrupted. Desperation filled her voice as tears matted her fur.

"Octavia, its not like that. I think we just need some time apart to find ourselves."

"But we have each other for that!" Octavia snapped, her voice rising as she felt the mare she loved slipping from her grasp. The thought terrified her.

"Octi, please keep your voice down." Vinyl glanced at the other patrons. By now the two had started to draw a few curious looks.

"Keep my voice down?! You're breaking my heart and you want me to remain quiet about it?!" Octavia scoffed incredulously. "This is just like you, Vinyl Scratch! You're so damned worried about how the public sees you that you lose sight of how cold you can be!" A hush started settling on the cafe as Octavia's outburst drew more stares.

"Octi, its not like that. I just-"

"You just what? Decided that the years we've spent together aren't enough to work through whatever problems you think we're having?"

"Think?!" Anger crept into Vinyl's usually level demeanor. "Octi, you can't seriously believe that we're still normal?! We spend more time apart than we do together, you come home late half the week; and half the time you're sloshed because you've been with Lyra and Bon-Bon while I've been stuck trying to work past the kinks on this album with Neon-"

"Oh right, I'm certain that's the only thing you've been working on with Neon Lights!" Octavia lashed out.

"What the hay is that supposed to mean?!" Vinyl retorted, no longer trying to keep the anger from her voice.

"Oh, you know exactly what I mean. There are nights where I've stayed up, terrified that Neon has finally convinced you that things don't need to be 'strictly professional.'"

"You can't be serious. Octavia Melody, if you could ever think that I'd do something as low as cheat on you then this relationship ended a long time ago!"

"It ended because you were to busy to try to make it work!"

"I- You know what, Octavia? This is ridiculous. I hoped we could still be friends, but you know what? No. Go buck yourself." Vinyl sneered angrily before slapping some bits on the table for the drinks and storming out of the cafe.

All eyes were on Octavia, everypony silently watching to see what would happen next. Octavia merely slumped forward into her forelegs and sobbed, wondering where everything had gone wrong. The only other sound in the cafe was the music playing it's sultry tones.