• Published 14th Sep 2016
  • 1,528 Views, 38 Comments

How Change Love - Skylight77



Family. That was the word that started it. It didn't matter if it was a true family. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy loved their new foal like one. Will their foal ever reveal what she is? What would change when she does?

  • ...
6
 38
 1,528

Pony Difference

“I heard we’re having a new classmate today!”

“Yeah, but you don’t want to meet her.”

“How come? Isn’t she Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy’s daughter?”

“Yes, but she’s a total nutjob.”

“And we haven’t seen that before?”

“She can’t be that bad. But I still wonder how she’s in school already.”

The bell rang, signaling the start of the class. Miss Cheerilee was busy preparing her chalkboard for the lesson today while the fillies and colts were taking their seats. Or she thought they were all. She stopped when she felt breathing unusually close to her flank, turning to see what it was.

“Those flowers are lovely Miss Cheerilee!” Miley said with half lidded eyes. “Do you grow them with your Special Pony?”

A giggle escaped Cheerilee. “Oh, I don’t have a Special Somepony,” she said.

“Then you still live with your family?”

“Um… let’s save the questions until after class, shall we?” Curiously, Miley turned towards her other classmates. “Okay class. Before we begin, I’d like to introduce our new classmate. Why don’t you introduce yourself to everypony?”

Cheerilee jestered Miley to stand in front of the front desk for everypony’s attention. She obliged, but stood on top of the desk. “Hello! My name is Miley Heart!”

“Hi Miley!” the class said in unison.

“Good. And can you tell us a little about yourself?” One of the fillies in the back cringed when this question was asked.

“Well, I am the loving daughter of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. You may know them as two bearers of the Elements of Harmony-” she paused to hug herself, “-Kindness-” and then posed triumphantly, “-and Loyalty! But now, they are very wonderful parents. Like one time-”

Cheerilee wasn’t sure whether she was happy at how well Miley was expressing herself, or concerned that she didn’t realize the question. Yet, Miley continued on.

______________________________________________________________________________

Miley ran across the meadow as fast as her legs could carry her. The constant roaring of a bear chasing her filled her with fear. She ran until she was trapped, with nowhere else to go. All she could do, was scream. Her scream went out like a cry for help. A cry that sounded twice before it could be answered.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy arrived at the scene, noticing their daughter being chased by an angry bear. “Oh my goodness! Rainbow Dash, stop him!” Both pegasi flew as fast as they could to the scene. Rainbow Dash stopped the bear and tried to push him away, giving Fluttershy enough time to retrieve Miley and take her a safe distance. Rainbow Dash did her best to keep the bear at bay while avoiding its claws.

“What is going on here? What did Miley do to you?” The bear only roared back, attempting to get to Miley. Fluttershy couldn’t understand him at this rage level. She flew up to its ear and sang a lullaby.

______________________________________________________________________________

“The way she handles animals is lovely! That bear was so scary, and I was in so much pain. Yet despite that, she showered it with just as much love and care as she gave to me!”

Miley reached into her saddle and took out a Rainbow Dash plush toy. “After they calmed the bear down, they treated my injuries with lots of bandages, lots of ointment, and best of all, kisses and affection!” She layed down on the the table and started kissing the forehead of her plush.

A collection of gags sounded around the class. Some of the fillies and colts were looking away. Cheerilee’s eyes shifted from one side of the class to the other, worry filling her heart.

“W-wonderful story uh… Miley,” Cheerilee hesitantly said. “But uh… could you tell us more about yourself, and what you like to do?”

Miley put down her plush. “But I just talked about myself.”

“No sweetie. You told us about your parents.” Cheerilee covered her mouth. “-in much detail.

“But my parents, are, who I am. Without them, I wouldn’t be who I am today.” Miley turned to the class. “None of you would be anything without your family. They raise you, take care of you, love you. What could be a better way to tell about yourself than that?”

The classroom fell silent. None of the fillies and colts went on to answer. Cheerilee hoped that somepony would say something, something nice. But the only response was whispers which she couldn’t hear.

I think I see what you mean…” Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle said in unison.

______________________________________________________________________________

The bell rang again, signaling the time for lunch. The fillies and colts were already outside and Miley let herself be the last one to leave. The first thing she noticed from the side of the school were a pack of flowers.

“Ooh, how lovely.” She approached one of them to take a closer. The smell reminded her of the flowers Fluttershy took care of for her and her animals. To grow them like this required lots of love and attention. She went for a bite.

“Miley!” Cheerilee gasped, making Miley freeze. “That’s not your food sweetie. Your food is over there where those three fillies are.”

Cheerilee pointed to the direction of said table. Miley did take a glance, but brought her attention back to the flowers. Smiling, she took a whiff of each flower, making their petals brush her face. She had absorbed a sample of the love that each of the flowers were given, and then proceeded towards the table.

Scootaloo cringed when she noticed Miley. “Uh oh… she's coming this way.”

“Come on Scootaloo, our sisters are countin’ on us to make sure she has a good first day.”

Sweetie Belle took a glance towards Miley. “It looks like she’s already having a good day.”

“Ah meant with friends.”

“Friends with us is the part that I’m worried about.” Scootaloo drooped her head.

“What do y’all mean? Didn’t ya meet her back when she was still a baby?”

“Yes! And do I have to remind you that was last year?]

“What was last year?”

The conversations stopped when Miley appeared with that question. Scootaloo’s eyes shrunk with sweat dripping down her forehead. “Uh… when I came to play with you,” she said smiling hesitantly.

“Oh yeah, that was a lovely day, wasn’t it? I especially liked the time we went watering the flowers.” Miley gave a pleasant sigh at the memories, leaving the other fillies looking at Scootaloo.

“Hey! The only reason I had any part of that was because Fluttershy wanted me to be nice to her.”

“Of course!” Miley replied. “Being the kind and loving mother she is, it’s only natural that her love and care would spread all around us!” She zipped behind Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle and brought them closer together, despite their reluctance. “If we all could share her example, we wouldn’t have to live so far apart.” Zipping back in front of Scootaloo, she placed a hoof on her own heart. “We wouldn’t all be strangers to each other. Everypony could live together. Nopony would hate each other. And our affection could spread just like this!”

The last thing Scootaloo expected was a sudden kiss to the forehead. If there was a cockatrice around, she had seen its eyes. With her eyes shrunk and bones stiff, she fell backwards like a statue, making Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle flinch.

“That would be a dream come true!” Miley turned away from them. “But like most stories, they can only be a dream. And even if it can never happen, I will always live that dream!”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle couldn’t find words. The only thing on their mind was the kissed statue of Scootaloo laying before them. Taking their hasty chance, they grabbed Scootaloo, and fled from the table.

When Miley turned around, she noticed that no pony was left at the table. But she also noticed that the three fillies who were here hadn’t taken their food with them. Almost forgetting that it was lunch time, she went to inspect the food.

Sliced apples, cherries, pickles, and chopped onions, all filled into a bowl with jello to the side. It looked like a lovely meal. But sniffing it, she felt no love coming from it.

“Ms. Cheerilee?!” Miley called out. A second without response, she looked around the school and called again. “Ms. Cheerilee?!”

“Yes, Miley, what is it?” Cheerilee arrived after the second call. “...And where did-”

“Ms. Cheerilee, who made this food?” Miley interrupted.

Cheerilee was puzzled by this question. “I don’t know dear… Why do you-”

“Well do you know where it comes from?”

Cheerilee had to take a moment to find her words. “Well… I do know that we receive them from Mr. Rich’s business.”

“Mr. Rich…” Miley repeated. “What’s his first name?”

“Um… are you going to eat deary?” Cheerilee attempted to change the topic.

“No thanks. I’m not hungry.”

There was a short pause. “Not hungry?” Cheerilee looked her student over, looking for any signs of hunger and believing that she was faking because she didn’t want to try something. But even after getting close to her stomach, Cheerilee found no signs. What she did find was the untouched bowls belonging to the other three fillies. But those fillies were nowhere in sight. Cheerilee's heart sank deeper, fearing the worst had already happened.

______________________________________________________________________________

It was the end of the school day. All the fillies and colts were leaving the playgrounds and returning to their families or other hobbies. Miley however, had to stay longer at the playground site. She spent that time playing with her Rainbow Dash plushie.

“Thank you for coming girls,” Cheerilee started. “I really need to talk to you about your daughter.”

“Please don’t tell me she’s in trouble,” Fluttershy said.

“No, it’s not that,” Cheerilee responded, relieving Fluttershy.

“Are the kids bullying her?!” Rainbow Dash argued.

“Worse. They’re not associating with her.”

Puzzled, Rainbow took a glance at where Miley was at, then at Cheerilee. “You mean they’re ignoring her?”

“Avoiding, but yes.” Cheerilee’s ears fell. “Not even the Cutie Mark Crusaders wanted to be around her.”

The weight on Fluttershy’s heart increased. “But our daughter is a very nice and loving child. Why wouldn’t they want to be with her?”

Cheerilee had to scratch her neck before answering. “Well… I think that’s the reason why they haven’t been connecting. Her definition of getting to know the other students… well… it breaks their comfort zones.”

“Breaking their…” Rainbow paused. “What could she be doing to get them like that?” she said while turning towards Miley again. She didn’t expect to find her answer like that though. Miley was feeding a plastic bottle to her Rainbow Dash plushie while making smooching movements with her lips. Rainbow’s ears dropped. “Oh…”

“Yes, I’m afraid your daughter is going too deep with her affections towards the other students. And that’s why they don’t want to associate with her.”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy lowered their heads in sadness. They knew they had to have a talk with their daughter after this.

“Can you two answer a question?” Cheerilee asked, bringing their attention back. “Miley has been oddly curious about the outside environment. It distracts her a lot in class, and, she’s asked a lot of questions. Does she go out often?”

“Well, yeah, of course!” Rainbow Dash answered.

“Although her first time was not a very pleasant one,” Fluttershy continued.

“After she used the slide at our house, she landed on one of Fluttershy’s animals.”

“The poor thing was hurt… and our daughter was in so much pain.”

“After that, we’ve never left her outside unsupervised again.”

Cheerilee wasn’t expecting that sort of answer. Now she was worried about their daughter’s mental health. “Was she alright?”

“No, she wasn’t.” Cheerilee’s eyes popped out at Rainbow’s answer. “When we inspected her, there was a huge hole on her left wing.” A gasp escaped Cheerilee.

“We thought she would never be able to fly again. And she was just a baby when this happened…”

"That's why we don't keep her alone. We don't want that happening again."

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy’s words made Cheerilee’s mind scramble. Miley’s cheery nature could only sound like she was using it to suppress a horrible moment she had in the past. It made sense now why she expressed Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy the way she did in class. Cheerilee couldn’t bare imagining something like that happening to a-

“Wait… back when she was a baby?” Cheerilee asked.

“Yeah, that’s right,” Rainbow answered. “And somehow her wing outgrew that cut like it never happened.”

Cheerilee had to take a look at Miley again to make sure she was hearing correctly. “Um… H-how long have you had her for?”

“One year,” they answered in unison, leaving Cheerilee unable to respond.

“S-see… when our foal arrived, she already had a few years in her. I think Princess Celestia had trouble sending us our little baby.”

The look on Cheerilee’s face made Rainbow Dash cringe. A memory she wanted to forget was coming back to haunt her. And it would come back if she didn’t do something.

“W-well, Miss Cheerilee uh, thanks for the chat but I think we need to get going.”

“We’re going now?” Fluttershy asked.

“Don’t worry Cheers. We’ll talk to our daughter about her methods of making friends. We’ll see you later.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t wait for a good bye. She just took Fluttershy to the air so that they can get Miley and go home.

______________________________________________________________________________

“So kiddo? How are ya feeling?” Rainbow asked as they flew through the air. Miley was riding her back. “Did you make any friends on your first day of school?”

“Rainbow Dash, we just talked about that,” Fluttershy responded.

“Yeah, yeah, but I wanna hear it from her point of view.” Rainbow looked to Miley. “Did you enjoy it?”

“I sure did!” Miley responded. “Everypony was so nice. And I feel like I’ve already made some friends!”

Fluttershy tried to respond to this, but Rainbow cut in. “Yeah… about those friends.” She bounced Miley in the air so she could catch her in her hooves, flying upside down. “Some ponies are not as affectionate as you are. They don’t like all that mushy stuff that you love so much. So if you can, try and cut down on it. Some ponies just need their space. Like me! Got it?”

A brief memory came back to Miley.

______________________________________________________________________________

She could hear the sound of two birds chirping. Her parents went to go see the news. Two birds, one red, and one blue, held between them multiple eggs in their nests. All three pegasi ‘aww’d at the sight of the start of another new family.

“It’s just like us, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy said.

“I bet by tomorrow their kids will be flying already,” Rainbow stated, making Fluttershy giggle. Fluttershy decided to go in for a kiss, but Rainbow stopped her. “Not in public, Fluttershy.”

“Oh…”

Miley was disappointed at the chance of feeding on more love being halted. But she wouldn’t be disappointed for long. After they had all went back inside, Rainbow was feeding off of Fluttershy’s lips like that one wild bear almost fed on her.

______________________________________________________________________________

“Got it!” Miley said after her memory finished.

“Atta girl!” Rainbow pulled her in closer and started giving her mane a playfully noogy. Miley giggled from the playful act. It was Rainbow’s way of showing her own tough love, to which Miley loved feeding from. However, Fluttershy wasn’t liking the sight.

“Rainbow Dash! Stop that!” she said.

“No! Don’t stop! Haha!” Miley expressed. “Keep going! Haha! Harder!” More pressure gave Miley more love. But Fluttershy couldn’t take the roughness anymore. She snatched Miley out of Rainbow’s hooves.

“Hey!” Rainbow shouted.

“I don’t think you understand your limits, sweety.” Fluttershy pulled out the brush in Miley’s saddle. “You keep letting her do that to you, you’ll bruise your head.”

Rainbow Dash saw the disappointment in Miley’s eyes and crossed her forelegs together. After bringing back that bear attack incident, she thought Fluttershy would know a little better about Miley’s limits. But maybe it was just her protective nature, so Rainbow let it go.

Author's Note:

Well, according to the rating, Stick Write didn't seem to help at all. So I guess I won't be using it since it makes writing less fun.

--
Find any errors? Please notify.

Feed back and criticism are appreciated.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoy.