• Published 14th Sep 2016
  • 1,528 Views, 38 Comments

How Change Love - Skylight77



Family. That was the word that started it. It didn't matter if it was a true family. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy loved their new foal like one. Will their foal ever reveal what she is? What would change when she does?

  • ...
6
 38
 1,528

The End

Deep in this forest, she sobbed. Her hooves trembled under her weight as she tried to contain them. Hesitantly squeezing her eyes shut, she ducked her head down to the lake in front of her. Gritting her lips together, she carefully started to drink from the lake’s water, taking about three full gulps in order to calm herself down. Afterwards, she submerged her head underneath the water, holding her breath as the cold refreshing touch eased the nerves filling her head.

She wasn’t crying because she was sad. She was crying because she was in pain… so much pain. The water was helping to ease that pain. Her shivering was settling down. When she ran out of breath, she released her head from the lake, shaking the water out of her head and eyes, as well as the tears. Slowly, she opened her eyes.

The reflection of the water showed the hideous image of the changeling form she grew to hate. She did not want to see this form ever again. But now, here she was, staring into it. Deep black skin, bug-like wings, leg holes, lifeless blue eyes, and of course, the only thing that changed out of her, was her horn. The tip of her horn was broken off, but not broken enough to stop working.

She placed a hoof to that horn. Even now it still emitted pain. But knowing where that pain came from both soothed her, and ached her. It was a very powerful love, the love that came from being in a family. As much as she hated this form, she had to break down and accept the fact that the image she saw in this reflection, was her. She was not Miley Heart. This is what she was. This was why she always avoided talking about herself. She hated what she was. She was a changeling who stole love in order to live.

The echoes of cries entered her ears. She looked away from the pond and into the night sky toward the direction of the cries. The despair, she could feel it. It was silent, but clear to her. Bats, birds, owls, squirrels, otters, mice… The despair identified them all so clearly to her. But none was as clear to her, as the sounds coming from her family.

“No…” she said quietly to herself. “Not my family… Never was… Never will be.” She turned her vision down as the heartbreaking cries taunted her tastes. She resisted the urge to go back for them.

“Rainbow Dash… Fluttershy…” Speaking their full names pained her, but she willed herself to continue. “I wish I could tell you, that I would never steal love again… But I can’t do that.” She paused to take a deep breath. “I need to keep stealing love in order to live. It is what I am. I can change my form to look whatever I want. But I can’t change what makes me… me.” She raised her head back to the skies, listening to the cries echo and feeling their despair.

And then, for the first time in a long while, she smiled. “But I’ll never forget you both.” She closed her eyes and continued. “I’ll never forget your love. When I steal from others, I’ll do it with mercy. I’ll do what I can to avoid hurting them when I steal their love. I’ll even find ways to make it up to them.”

She started sparking her horn one more time, letting flames surround her body. “I’ll change one last time for you. Wherever I go, whatever I do, and whatever I’ll be-” The flames started engulfing her, changing her appearance. “I promise, I’ll never steal your love, ever again.”

The flames left behind her body in a deep black coat with a dark gray mane and tail. Her eyelashes were a dark yellow while her eyes wore a dark blue. And her Cutie Mark, was a dark gray pony ghost, barely visible to represent her former self. The appearance would allow her body to camouflage in the night and hide who she really was. Even her black wings would blend in while her horn remained invisible to others.

And in this night, when they saw her, they would only see one thing. The one thing that could never be darkened and shined anywhere in the night. But they could only see when it opened. The life filled white surrounding the pupils in her eyes. This light, vanished when she closed her eyes. And then, through the power of the last of the love she had stolen from them, her body, started fading one last time. She left, smiling.

“Good bye…”

Author's Note:

Sorry to everyone who wanted to see a happy ending to this story. But when a dream gave me this sort of idea, I had to go for it. Don't worry. My next story, if I decide to write it, will have a happy ending, but I don't know if people will like the premise/concept.

Nevertheless, I hope people enjoyed this one.

--
Find any errors? Please notify.

Feed back and criticism are appreciated.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoy.