• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,835 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,835

PreviousChapters Next
Gathering: Take 9

It should be pretty obvious that it took me a while to recover from creating the staff. During that time, Uncle Murray and Guru kept me isolated to prevent anything from 'disturbing my spirit's link to my body'. Even once I was able to move about and tap my magic again, I was under strict orders to limit my activities for at least a week. Thankfully, I was given more than enough time to recover enough to go with everyone once we determined where we were going next.

While I was recovering, Dad and Mom did little but worry frenetically over me, especially since they weren't allowed near me until I was moving under my own power...after which they both had to be reminded that moving was part of my recovery and to put me down already. That's also when I learned that Uncle Bentley had spent the entire time figuring out what skill set we needed to complete our assault on the Cooper Vault. He'd determined we needed a RC specialist, and he had a candidate in mind. When I learned who...okay, I admit I got a little overly-giddy. Uncle Bentley had an online girlfriend!

Okay, maybe 'girlfriend' was a bit strong...but he was obviously sweet on her the way he talked about his chats with her, and the logs seemed to indicate she was at least friendly towards him. Of course, much like with Guru, we needed to prove ourselves before she'd work for us...and Dad concluded that meant beating her current boss - an aerial dogfight champ known only as the Black Baron - at his own game...specifically, the ACES dogfight competition.

Which left me curious. Why would someone specializing in piloting skills and RC vehicles work for someone who apparently flew and had RC backup? Did she control his backup? Or... I discarded that particular suspicion for the moment, deciding to see what would happen. In the meantime, once a plane was ready - and I was fully recovered by then - we made our way to Holland, both to get better contact with this Penelope and to see what the Black Baron was like, and up to...


As the group arrived in Kinderdijk, Holland, the rain was pouring down in fierce torrents. Sly immediately tucked Coco into his flight jacket to keep her from getting wet or catching a chill, while Deik-Beck sprouted a rain shield of his own with a beep before racing along behind everyone as the group made their way to the hideout they'd prepared, separate from the hangar their plane was stored in. Once they were all settled in and dry, Sly and Coco went out in matching flight jackets to see if they could locate the flight roster to find out who they were up against. Since Sly needed to keep his Flight Jacket on - which limited his maneuverability somewhat - it was decided having the pair go together would make things easier, as Coco could act as an adorable distraction while Sly got hold of the roster...or Sly could act as a 'worried father' distraction while Coco 'took a wrong turn' to get the roster, whichever method proved successful.

"So...the roster is kept a secret to prevent any attempts at sabotage," Coco reminded herself aloud. "Which is...exactly what we plan to do?"

"More or less," Sly murmured back softly as they walked. "We've only got the one plane, so we can't take any chances."

"Don't know how well that'll do impressing Penelope," Coco murmured thoughtfully. "Maybe we'd be better off trying to befriend one of the other competitors with spare planes and borrow a few."

"And what are the odds that could happen?" Sly asked dismissively.

At that moment, the Black Baron himself entered the foyer to make an announcement to the gathered pilots. To Sly and Coco's surprise, he was...surprisingly short for his reputation, shorter than Sly even, and lacking any distinguishing characteristics beyond an oversized mustache. Coco felt a suspicion niggle at her mind, only for it to be banished as she focused on the speech now that it had begun.

"I bid you all a most flamboyant welcome, my esteemed comrades of the skies," he declared in a deep, sonorous voice. "Welcome, welcome, to another year of the ACES competition. We've got teams here from across the globe: Canada, Belgium, Ecuador, Iceland, Korea and many, many more! Not the least of which is last year's deadly runner-up, Team Muggshot!"

To Sly's shock and Coco's delighted surprise, Muggshot himself leaned over the railing of the upper floor in a brown flight jacket and cap to give his own two cents. "This time I'm gonna drill you jokers fulla holes! I got too much ridin' on this year ta fail!"

"Now," the Black Baron continued, "we all know that in years past, some teams have engaged in a little good-natured late night hi-jinx."

"Like when Team Ecuador stole Team Canada's parachutes!" one of the listeners shouted out.

"Or when Team Iceland sawed the landing gear off Korea's planes!" another added.

"Or when Portugal put rat poison in Team Muggshot's coffee machine!" a third declared.

"Yes, yes," the Baron allowed jovially, "that was all so very funny. But no more! You know the rules, no one, absolutely no one is to leave the hotel after sunset. If my guards catch you outside, you will be beaten to within an inch of your life. No exceptions! This will be a fair competition!"

"Same as last year and the year before!" someone called out to amused laughter. "I've got the scars to prove it!"

"I bid you all an exuberant and exaggerated farewell pilots," the Baron concluded. "Tonight, sleep like geese, and tomorrow, soar like eagles...high!"

As the Baron left, Coco looked up at Muggshot, then turned back to Sly with a wide grin. Sly groaned, burying his face in one hand. "Fine," he allowed grumpily. "Go ahead and see if you can sweet talk a few planes out of him."

Grinning, Coco quickly raced up the stairs towards where she'd seen Muggshot, only for his massive hands to yank her off the floor and into an alcove. "You really think some disguise can hide your features, little lady?" he teased, rubbing her under her chin affectionately.

Coco got out a few giggles before struggling free. "Hey Muggshot!" she greeted warmly. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be in the states with Mrs. Ruby and Felicia?"

To Coco's surprise, Muggshot visibly flinched at the mention of his daughter, though he played it off quickly. "Ah, Ruby's startin' Feli's magic trainin'," he offered unconvincingly. "I'd just be in the way. Sides, the prize money here will pay - legitimately - for her college fund."

Coco felt her ears go flat against her skull. "Oh...well...uh..."

"Go on then, spit it out," Muggshot insisted. "The worst I can say is no."

"Well, we need to beat the Black Baron so Penelope - a pilot and RC specialist that works for him - will help us break into the Cooper Vault," Coco explained. "Beyond that...I'm trying to set Uncle Bentley up with her. They seem sweet on each other online. I...was hoping I could borrow a few planes from you. We've only got the one, and otherwise we'll need to...well, use other means to be sure of victory."

Muggshot frowned, stroking his chin thoughtfully and murmuring under his breath. Even with her stronger hearing, Coco only just barely caught "...surer thing than hoping on an unknown..." before finally nodding. "Alright. I'll give ya a spare plane and help ya win however I can...but you and yer Gang gotta do somethin' for me."

"Of course!" Coco agreed. "What do you need?"

"As soon as the contest ends - and I do mean immediately - ya head over ta St. Canard," he explained. "Ruby's got...a little somethin' she could use some help with there. Ah help ya here, you help her there. Deal?"

"Deal!" Coco agreed immediately. "Is there anything-"

"Ruby'll tell ya when ya get there," Muggshot interrupted. "Just...don't tell her I threw the contest ta help ya, okay?"

"Promise," Coco offered eagerly. "I need to get back to Dad now."

"I'll get the spare plane over to your hangar," Muggshot agreed, setting her down as they went their separate ways.


While I was 'sweet talking' Muggshot, Deik-Beck was able to hack the Baron's security and learn where the flight roster was kept - since it wasn't kept anywhere online - and Dad and Uncle Bentley went and retrieved it. While I didn't like that we would still be relying on sabotage, two planes wasn't that much an improvement on one. Muggshot's help would probably do more for us than the extra plane.

PreviousChapters Next