• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,836 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,836

PreviousChapters Next
Terrible Tides

With their final destination determined, Sly and Coco continued their way forward. So far, they had yet to find a good place to split up, or a need to as the path continued straight forward. Coco's hurled knock-out needles continued to keep their presence completely unknown, and Sly's superior agility allowed them to clear past the obstacles they encountered.

Towards the end of the path, a large vault with three tumblers - exactly like the ones Coco had trained on - sat at the side of the path. "I got this," she whispered, hopping off Sly's back and putting her ear to the vault. Before long, she had the code input and the vault open.

To Sly's surprise, it contained a page of the Thievius Raccoonus, covering a technique developed by Old Drake Cooper. "Good job, Coco," he whispered happily after they'd both finished dedicating the 'Fast Attack Dive' maneuver to memory. "This is the first step to recovering our legacy." Pocketing the page, he left the Gang's calling card - the blue raccoon mask - in the vault where the page had been.

Beyond the vault, a key in a cage sat directly in front of a locked gate. "This seems almost too easy..." Coco murmured worriedly.

"...the key's genuine," Sly whispered after examining it for a time. "And there aren't any traps on it or the gate."

"Then...why is it like this?" Coco demanded irritably. "It's just...a stupid way to do things!"

"I don't mind a stupid enemy," Sly replied readily, smashing the cage and taking the key, using it to open the gate. "It just makes this that much easier for us."

"...puts me on edge, is all," Coco offered petulantly. "Feels like a trap."

"And that's why we're careful," Sly reminded her. "We expect traps."


At the end of a tunnel, they were able to get a clearer view of the path to the blimp...which led through a veritable fortress. "With how secure that blimp is, it's becoming more and more obvious that it's Raleigh's base of operations."

"It's going to be next to impossible to get there," Bentley pointed out through the comms. "To get there, you'd need to sneak through that high voltage power tube over there." As he spoke, the viewer zoomed in on the tube in question, where arcs of electricity lashed back and forth through the tube.

"That's no problem," Coco offered. "We can just destroy the power generator right next to the tube's entrance."

"If you did that without unlocking the gate protecting it, the entire place will go up with alarms," Bentley warned. "You'll need three of those treasure keys to do that, and you only have one."

"Can you use a scan of the key to locate two more?" Sly asked curiously.

"Does Murray have portion control issues?" Bentley joked.

"Hey!" Murray's voice complained, causing Coco to giggle.

After a time, Bentley spoke up. "I've located the keys," he explained as the viewer shifted to lock onto two tunnels that appeared to be glowing. "The holo-circuitry in your masks are now programmed to illuminate the direction of those objectives as we locate them. Good luck, and make sure Coco doesn't get hurt, Sly."

"I can take care of myself," Coco complained dryly. "I passed those tests..."

"That only makes you Genin," Sly chided gently. "I won't be letting you take your own objectives without me until you're at least Chuunin."

"But you said I couldn't take that until I was at least eight!" Coco whined.

"Exactly," Sly confirmed. "I want to be sure you're physically up to the extended trials a solo objective would put on you."

As they made their way to their first objective, a speech from Raleigh over the intercom explained his real methods. "So that's it," Sly murmured softly. "He uses the terrible weather to sink ships, then just goes in and 'salvages' the loot."

"So he's lazy as well?" Coco grumbled. "I'd have been able to respect his methods if my theory about storm powered ships had been right...but this? Dad, do we have to let Mom get him in one piece?"

Sly glanced down sharply at Coco. "Coco, that's enough," he chided firmly. "I understand why you'd have no good feelings towards this guy, as he's one of the ones that killed my Dad, your Grandfather. But we are thieves, not assassins. We use no more force than absolutely necessary to achieve our objectives, and we go out of our way to not cause physical harm in the process. That's what makes the Cooper Clan master thieves. If you stray from that, you take the first step on the slippery slope to become the monsters we hunt."

Coco flinched back from the intense scolding. "O-okay, Daddy," she whimpered. "I...I'm sorry..."

Sly shifted Coco into his arms, gently stroking her head. "It's alright, Coco. You're still so young, so your emotions are a lot more volatile and intense for you, and it's harder to remember the reasons behind the rules you have to follow. It's why discipline is so important. You've been doing wonderfully...just don't lose yourself."

Nodding, Coco clambered out of the embrace and back to Sly's back. "I'll remember. L-let's go."

Sly stared at her for a time, then nodded. Turning, he headed for the second key.

PreviousChapters Next