• Published 28th Jul 2016
  • 960 Views, 3 Comments

The Gearlock - Talshain



Have you ever wondered as to why exactly the Everfree Forest is so wild? Have you ever questioned where the Tree of Harmony actually came from? Well, nopony knows for sure, but after tumbling down an ancient shaft in the forest, Scootaloo does!

  • ...
2
 3
 960

Orphan's Lament

It was a bright day in Ponyville, as they usually were. It was the height of the summer, and the weather team had gifted everypony with a lovely cloudless sky. The birds were singing happily in the sky, while the animals of the forest were hard at work stockpiling food for winter.

The ponies of Ponyville all bustled about busily, going about their day to day activities as per usual, all the while keeping a mindful gaze to the sky. Rainbow Dash was back to practicing her tricks, and while the rainbow maned pegasus was well known to be the greatest flyer in Equestria, she was equally prone to devastating crashes (at the expense of anypony she happened to land near).

Now, that’s not to say that everyone in town was happy, for down in the schoolhouse, it was quite the contrary.

“And that, my little ponies, is how the Caribou nation and Equestria established the peace treaty that we still celebrate today!” Cheerilee said happily, turning away from chalkboard to observe her students.

She frowned at the sight that met her.

Most of the foals had nodded off to sleep, Scootaloo in particular having managed to do so in a spectacular fashion, her front hooves almost grazing the floor as drool trailed down the corner of her mouth.

She shook her head in exasperation. Scootaloo, despite being her least enthusiastic pupil, was easily the smartest foal in the classroom. She was an absolute genius when it came to mathematics, particularly logic puzzles. Seriously, she’d seen the filly solve a rubik’s cube in just under thirty seconds, the colors seeming to fly over the little cube. However, Scootaloo seemed to suffer crippling incompetence in every other category, leading her to routinely attain only C and D averages.

That, combined with her general lack of respect for the sanctity of the classroom, led to her being one of the leading causes for Ms. Cheerilee’s headaches!

“WELL!” she snapped, rapping the board with her pointer. “I think that was a WONDERFUL LESSON, don’t you?” she asked.

Nearly half the class jumped in surprise as they awakened, Scootaloo managing to flip over backwards out of her chair while Sweetie Belle let out a high pitched (yet still in tune) musical shriek of alarm. Cheerilee smiled in satisfaction, before turning back to the front of the classroom and picking up a piece of chalk.

“Now, don’t forget students, your family history projects are due one week from today!” she said as she wrote, eliciting groans from her audience. She chuckled good naturedly before turning around, a kind smile on her face. “Now don’t worry, I’m sure you all will have a lot of fun with this!” She said as she turned about. “Exploring your past and discovering where you came from is an important part of any young pony’s life! In fact, learning about my family history is what helped me get my Cutie Mark!” she said, noting with satisfaction how three fillies in particular perked up at that.

She chuckled internally. “Now, that marks the end of our day. Be safe going home!”

The classroom immediately began to empty, the foals chatting happily with each other as they grabbed their saddlebags and headed to the door.

Scootaloo let out a sigh of relief as she stepped outside, her small wings splaying out to catch the warm summer sun.

She jumped as something bumped her from behind. “Come on Scootaloo, don’t block the door!” came a familiar voice from behind her. Scootaloo smiled as Sweetie Belle’s snow white fur came into view, her pink and purple mane immaculately curled just like normal. “Sorry,” Scootaloo said, moving over and heading down the steps. “Hey, Sweetie Belle, can I borrow your notes? I kind of nodded off near the beginning.”

Sweetie Belle did a double take, before facehooving in disappointment. “YOU TOO! I was gonna ask you for notes!” she said, her voice squeaking as she pronounced the *too*.

Scootaloo frowned. “Sweetie Belle, it’s me. Why would I have taken notes?” she asked.

Sweetie Belle paused for a moment, before a look of realization passed across her face. “Oh yeah….”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes, before another voice caught her attention.

“Girls! Girls!” Both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo turned at the sound of the joyful country-accented voice to see their third and final best friend run over to them. Apple Bloom’s bright orange eyes and lush red mane looked just as vibrant as they did every day, if not a little more than usual today for some reason.

Maybe a trick of the light?


Her bright pink bow bounced as she ran towards them, an earnest smile etched across her face. She skidded to a stop before them, a small cloud of dust kicking up in her wake. “Did y’all hear what Miss Cheerilee said?” she asked, her ecstatic grin spreading to both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s faces as she spoke. Apple Bloom just kind of had that effect on (most) ponies.

“Sure did!” Scootaloo said, before all three reared back onto their hind legs and kicked their feet in the air. “CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS FAMILY HISTORY CUTIE MARKS!” they yelled in unison, their faces alight with delight before Scootaloo’s fell flat.

“Oh, wait…” she said, dropping back down and kicking the dirt sullenly, a cloud of gloom suddenly seeming to appear above her.

Sweetie Belle tilted her head questioningly. “What’s wrong Scootal- oooohhh…” she said as realization kicked in.

Stepping forward, Apple Bloom reached out and placed a reassuring hoof on Scootaloo’s shoulder. “Hey, don’t worry about it! Ah’m sure we can think of something,” she said, a helpful smile on her face.

“Yeah! Apple Bloom doesn’t have any parents either!” Sweetie Belle interjected, before a glare from Apple Bloom made her realize what she’d just said. “Sorry,” she mumbled, taking a step back and kicking the dirt surreptitiously.

Scootaloo let out a sigh and brushed Apple Bloom’s hoof off her shoulder. “It’s not the same Sweetie Belle,” she said, turning to face her two best friends in the world. “Apple Bloom’s got her sister, Big Mac, Granny Smith, Babs Seed, and a huge family of Apples.”

She glanced back down at the ground, kicking a blade of grass dejectedly. “But me? I’ve got nothing…” she said quietly.

“That ain’t true!” Apple Bloom said, stomping her hoof resolutely. “Ye’ve got Miss Hooves right? She’s gotta be chock full of stories! And ain’t Rainbow Dash yer honorary sister! She’s gotta be the coolest pony in town, next to mah sister!”

“And mine!” Sweetie Belle piped up, only to be promptly ignored by the other two.

“Look Scootaloo,” Apple Bloom said, shaking her head. “Just because you ain’t related by blood don’t mean they ain’t still family,” she said, drawing a small smile from Scootaloo.

The orange pegasus sighed. “I guess you’re-”

“WELL, WELL, WELL! If it isn’t our least favorite trio of BLANK FLANKS!” a sharp, but still hauntingly familiar voice called out.

Cringing, the CMC turned to see their least favorite pair of tormentors coming towards them: Diamond Tiara and her lackey Silver Spoon. Diamond Tiara’s mane was just as elegantly styled as always, and the bright diamond encrusted tiara that sat upon her head completed her appearance of regal elegance.

Too bad it was all spoiled by that look of superior smugness plastered across her face.

Scootaloo let out a snort of annoyance. “What do you two want?” she growled.

Diamond Tiara smirked again, before floofing her mane up in that annoyingly superior way she always did. “Oh, nothing much. Just coming by to make sure that you three don’t think you could steal our prize!” she said.

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow. “What prize?” she asked.

Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara both cackled cruelly. “I guess we can add being blind to your list of many faults,” Diamond Tiara jeered. “Miss Cheerilee wrote it up on the board!” Silver Spoon said. “It was right in front of your muzzles, how could you miss it?” she asked.

“Miss what, exactly?” Apple Bloom interjected, becoming slightly annoyed by the pair’s mocking.

Diamond Tiara stepped forward haughtily, a hoof placed on her chest. “‘The student that can best demonstrate the greatest understanding of their family’s history and their impact on the community will be awarded three free tickets to the upcoming Sapphire Shores concert!’ That’s what! And I intend on winning!” she stated, bringing her hoof down as if declaring a royal decree.

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes. “As if. Who wants to know about some dumb contracts that your Daddy signed? And…what does your mom even do again?” she asked.

Diamond Tiara’s eyes widened. “WHAT! I’ll have you know that this town wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for my family’s generous contributions to the economy!” she practically snarled.

Sweetie Belle cocked her head to the side. “But I thought it was the Apple’s that put Ponyville on the map,” she said, her voice sounding very confused.

“It was,” Apple Bloom said, glaring at Diamond Tiara angrily. “As mah Granny Smith already explained to y’all.”

Diamond Tiara let out a snort. “Oh, pf’shah! As if a few farmers were enough to actually start up this town,” she scoffed. “My great-granddaddy practically built the town hall! And the hospital! And they even grew the library!”

“My parents own a silver mine,” Silver Spoon said quietly, rubbing her forelegs together meekly. No one noticed, however, as Diamond Tiara bowled ahead. “Seriously, you wouldn’t even have your farm if it weren’t for my family! Who do you think sold you the wood?”

Apple Bloom’s nostrils flared, incensed by the pink filly’s words. “Now see here Diamond Tiara, Ah won’t have ya bad mouthin’ mah family! You can ride that high horse all day if ya want, but don’t forget that it’s thanks to me and mah family that Ponyville even exists, and that we provide almost half the produce for the town!”

“Yeah! Make sure you get your facts straight before you go shooting your mouth off!” Sweetie Belle cried.

Diamond Tiara huffed angrily. “Look! You Blank Flanks just don’t get it! My parents are the richest ponies in town, while yours-”

She pointed towards Sweetie Belle. “Dumped you here with your sister.”

She pointed to Apple Bloom. “Vanished into thin air.”

And finally she pointed to Scootaloo. “And you… Celestia knows where you came from! You probably crawled out of a hole in the ground! Or maybe just got dumped here because they were sick of you!”

The rich filly stuck her nose in the air. “All that matters is that none of you have even a chance at beating us! So don’t even try! Let’s go Silver Spoon!” she roared, before spinning around and trotting off, her lackey trailing along a few feet behind her while sticking her tongue out at the CMC.

Once they were out earshot, Apple Bloom stamped her hoof on the ground. “The nerve o’ that filly! Why I ‘oughta….”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, Apple Bloom.” Sweetie Belle said, placing a restraining hoof on her earth pony friend’s shoulder. “She’s not worth it. Besides, you know she’s just jealous because her family’s not nearly as cool as yours!”

Apple Bloom closed her eyes, before taking in a deep breath through her nose and out through her mouth. “You’re right, Sweetie Belle. Thanks,” she said, before turning to face her two best friends. “Don’t worry about it girls. Ah’m sure we’re still gonna get those Cutie Marks!” she chirped.

“And the Sapphire Shores tickets!” Sweetie Belle added.

“Right!” Apple Bloom said, before turning around and lifting her hoof. “Now, let’s get back to the clubhouse! Right?”

“RIGHT!” “right…”

Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom paused, before turning to look at Scootaloo. The pegasus was sitting down and staring at the grass beneath her hooves, the gloomy raincloud once again hanging over her head. Her ears were flat to her head, and her tail was wrapped around her forehooves as if it were a security blanket.

She looked like she was about to cry.

“Uh… Scootaloo? Are you okay?” Sweetie Belle asked, taking a step towards her friend.

Scootaloo glanced up, before sniffing and wiping her nose. “Yeah, yeah I’m alright. You guys go ahead, I… I have some things I forgot to do.” She said, slowly getting to her hooves and walking away.

Sweetie Belle raised a hoof to go after her, before a tug on her shoulder had her halting. “Ah think it’s best we let her be for now, Sweetie Belle,” Apple Bloom said. “She looks like she has a lot on her mind, and Granny Smith always said that ya should never ‘interrupt a pony when their thinking real hard about somethin’.”

Sweetie Belle looked over her shoulder at Apple Bloom, before glancing back at her retreating friend. “Alright, if you say so,” she said, before turning and following after the yellow filly, both of their enthusiasm drained.


Scootaloo strode down the main street of Ponyville, the sights and sounds of the lively place playing across here senses. Glancing up, she watched as her classmate, a fellow blank flank named Ruby Pinch, raced past her, an excited grin on her face. Scootaloo watched as she ran up and embraced her older sister, an earth pony named Berry Punch, who ran the local brewery and was well known for being the town drunk.

The older pony smiled as she bent down to nuzzle her little sister, a broad smile spreading across her muzzle.

The pegasus filly looked away sadly, casting her gaze back to the dirt road beneath her feet.

A cry of laughter had her looking back up just in time to see another classmate, a unicorn friend of hers named Dinky, embrace her mother, the local mail mare. Ditzy Doo, more commonly known as Derpy, smiled in elation as she nuzzled her daughter, before placing the filly on her back and flying off.

Scootaloo winced as a sharp pain spiked through her, as if someone had just jabbed her in the heart with a rusty dagger.

Continuing on at a quicker pace, Scootaloo soon found herself on the outskirts of Ponyville and crossing over a small bridge. Going over to the edge, she stood on her back hooves to peer over the side, observing her own reflection in the water. She blinked in surprise when she saw a family of ducks pass across her field of view, the little ducklings sticking close to their mother.

Scootaloo squeezed her eyes shut tightly, trying to hold back the tears that had been plaguing her ever since her encounter with Diamond Tiara.

And then, as ponies are wont to do, she found her inner thoughts translated into song. “Why oh why, am I all alone? I know I can fly, but instead I sink like a stone. So please, oh please, tell me where you have gone? So I can find another star to wish on!”

Scootaloo found her hooves moving of their own volition, carrying her across the bridge and into a wooded area. “I’ve gone on perilous journeys. Searched, both high and low…. And yet I never seem to find; what I’ve been searching foooooor…”

Her voice jumped up an octave she felt the wind blow across her fur, and upon opening her eyes found herself in a clearing filled with wild flowers, the wind sending them dancing about her in a beautiful mirage. “I know I’ve got friends! I know I am loved!”

Her smile vanished as the flowers blew away, revealing nothing but barren grass. “But for some reason, it’s just not enough.” She sang, kicking at the ground before moving on. “Am I not worthy? Am I not right? To have someone to show me the light? Wish I may, oh wish I might, to hear my mother say ‘Goodnight’!”

The sun was abruptly obscured by a passing cloud, throwing Scootaloo into darkness. “Why oh why am I all alone? I wanna fly, but instead I sink like a stone! So please just tell me, where you have gone! So I can find another star to wish on….”

Scootaloo paused as she came to another babbling brook, her eyes alighting upon several large rocks forming a line of stepping stones. She grinned. “A lot of ponies seem to have my back! I’ve got a sister, and hey, that’s not bad!” she sang as she began to hop across the stones.

“I’ve learned a lot all on my own,” she said as she wobbled on one of the loose rocks, before slipping off and falling into the rushing water. “Like how treat great big ugly stones!” she cried, before kicking the offending rock and promptly letting out a cry of pain.

Crawling out of the stream, she shook herself off like a dog, a few loose feathers falling away as she did so. “But still I wonder, what it’d be like! To finally come home and be met with delight! To have a Mom who’d hug me sweetly, to have a Dad who’d dress up neatly!”

She sat down for a moment and picked up a ponyish looking rock. “Say Scootaloo, don’t I look all nice in this business suit?” she mimed, dropping her voice to make it sound masculine. Giggling, she tapped the rock on the ‘nose’. “You sure do Dad!”

She frowned, before tossing the rock aside and getting up. Her head hung low, and her wings folded in tight to her body. “But I know that none of that’s for me. I know that my family’s just not meant to be. But still I wonder, still I pray: Could mommy and Daddy come and take me away?”

She looked up through the trees, where she could see Canterlot resting on the side of the mountain, surrounded by clouds. “Take to me a place that I could call home! Take me somewhere, where I’m not alone!”

She sighed, before sitting down and looking at her hooves. “Oh who am I kidding?” she asked to no one in particular. “Who would even want me anyway? Stupid blank flank!”

Slowly, she lay down onto her stomach, her eyes drawn to a beautiful daffodil just a few inches away from her snout. Tears finally began to leak out of her eyes as she watched it sway gently in the breeze. “Why oh why am I all alone? I know I can fly, but I still sink like a stone. And now my stars have all gone…. So please… just please… give me something… anything… to wish oooooonnnnn…”

And with that, she gave up, and buried her head in her hooves, sobs finally wracking her small body. Her bright purple tail curled around her, providing her head with a cushion to lay on. Slowly, after minutes of crying, her body just seemed to exhaust itself, and she fell into a peaceful, restful slumber.

Author's Note:

:applecry:

Yep. I did it. I committed the Cardinal sin, one that I'd swore I'd never do.

I wrote a Disney song! :rainbowlaugh:

Seriously though, this chapter was fun to write. I had a lot of fun coming up with the song, which is original by the way (I wrote it with the melody of Diamond Tiara's 'Pony I Wanna Be' song in my head. That's kind of what Scootaloo's singing voice sounds like). Don't worry, next chapter coming soon. I need to finish writing it and then editing it. Maybe by Friday or Saturday I'll have it up. Still looking for a Beta if anybody is interested. I feel lonely. :fluttercry:

Whelp, hope you enjoyed it. Please leave a like and comment below if you approve and want me to continue. I'll see you guys next chapter!:scootangel:

Comments ( 3 )

My friend, this is an absolutely wonderful story, and I would love to see more chapters soon!:pinkiehappy: *adds to Tracking list*

Question, though: what role will Rainbow Dash be playing in the story? Will she be a main character, or just a supporting character?

7637394
I concur. This is a great story so far. I can't wait to see where it goes.

This is certainly an interesting story, and I can't wait for the next chapter.
The ONE thing I want to know is when it takes place.

Login or register to comment