• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 3,118 Views, 133 Comments

The First Journey: Feelings of Etherealism - Kaille



Just a normal day for Connor, but a single change to the routine throws his world for a loop.

  • ...
2
 133
 3,118

Chapter 9

~Chapter 9: The Beginning of a New Life - Now With Actual Progress!~

When I awoke the next day, Twilight was already up, and preparing breakfast with Spike. I walk into the kitchen, and when she heard me she turned and smiled. "Ink! I'm glad your awake. I would like you to. . . er. . . meet? My number one assistant, Spike!" She said, with a sheepish grin. I can't help myself from laughing at this, and she laughed with, both of us remembering how I pretty much new him already. Spike simply looked at the two of us baffled.

"What the heck is that supposed to mean, Twilight?" He said, gaze finally resting on her.

"Nevermind, Spike. It is up to Ink if he wants to tell you."

I turn to the little dragon, and he turns to me. I offer a hoof. "Hey, names Ink. Good to meet you." I say beaming. Hah! Another word for a smile! Spike accepted the outstretched hoof, shaking it twice before letting go to continue cooking.

"Yep. Good to meet you too. Now Twilight, do you mind moving so I can continue cooking, please? I need to reach the stove." He remarked to the lavender mare, who quickly apologized and stepped out of the way. He walked over to the stove, placing pancake mix in a pan. He appeared to have made two batches; one had apples in it, and the other had what looked like ruby dust.

Twilight and I walked a little further away from the kitchen counter and sat at the table, waiting for the reptile to finish his preparations for the days opening meal. She turned to me with a query. "So now that you are free to do whatever, how are you going to spend your day, Ink?"

I turn to her as well and think for a second. "Well, I need to get a room at the hotel first. After that, I will head to Sweet Apple Acres, and get started working with Applejack and the rest of the crew over there. Then, on the way back tonight, I will see about visiting Pinkie Pie for a few. She wanted me to get back to her as soon as I was free from the hospital, so I ought to. As far as I can tell, thats all he plan I need for the day. The rest should fall into place as I go."

Twilight appears slightly surprised for a few seconds. "Well, you aren't planning on wasting any time; your getting right into the swing of things. And you have an interesting way of planning your days; I create time slots for everything. I don't like to have a chance of feeling bored; I am too much of a busy-body." She replied, and the two of us laugh. Finally, Spike walks over with big oven mitts on, carrying a tray loaded with food. Pancakes, syrup, butter, berries, a bowl of gemstones, orange juice. . . He laid out an entire buffet.

Twilight and I are both taken aback for a moment. Twilight broke the silence first. "Spike, why did you prepare so much food? This is almost excessive."

Spike shrugged and got into his chair after removing the gloves. "Well, I didn't know what Ink's appetite was, and some leftovers for the day aren't bad." He said as he popped an emerald into his mouth, crunching away. Twilight and I looked at each other, shrugged, and proceeded to load our plates.

~

I was very surprised at how incredible the food was. If Spike was a pony, he would get something cooking related for a cutie mark, I was sure. I made sure to thank him graciously at the end of the meal, which he responded to with a bit of embarrassment. He didn't seem to be comfortable with that kind of praise, for some reason.

I said goodbye to Twilight and Spike and headed out the door, across the street to the hotel. I entered the building, and looked around. It had a nice and homey, classic sort of feel to it; there was a large red brick fireplace in a sitting room to the right, surrounded by four antique wooden chairs with smooth, ornate, curving designs in the red wood, and red leather cushions. Two chairs were to each side, and between each pair was a matching wood end table. All this furniture rested atop an ornate red and yellow rug, with yellow tassels around the sides of the fabric. The floor was well-worn red wood planks matching the furniture, and the walls were a nice, calm and unobtrusive pale yellow. Straight ahead of the entrance is a hallway, turning to right.

To the left of the door was a counter top, in again, matching red wood, and on top of it was a beautiful antique cash register to match the rest of the room, in a matching yellow to the carpet. There was also a large brown book. Behind the counter was an earth pony stallion, with pale orange skin and a fiery red mane and tail, and goatee. His mane and tale are slightly curly, with the tail kind of poofing out and his mane trimmed nice and short. His cutie mark was a book with a quill and a few gold coins sitting on it. I walk up to the counter with a smile, and he turns to me, smiling back. "Good morning! My name is Bill Ledger. I run this hotel. Is there anything I can help you with?"

I assume his name had to do with 'bills' as in money, and the last name ledger matches his cutie mark's book. Likely very organized a pony. "Hello Mr. Ledger. My name is Ink." I offer a hoofshake, and he accepts it. "I was hoping you might have a vacant room available?"

He smiled, looking down at a book in front of him on the counter. "Why yes! I have a standard suite available upstairs with a slight balcony, another standard suite next to it with no balcony but a window that is perfectly placed to enjoy the sunset, and the top floor master suite, with both a balcony big enough for three ponies to relax, as well as a small sitting room that has a window with a similar view. What would you like to take?"

"What is the pricing on the two standard suites?"

"The sunset view suite is the least expensive, coming in at 50 bits a night, and the balcony suite is 75 bits a night."

"And the master suite?"

"300 bits a night."

My eyes widen slightly at the sudden price jump, but it does not surprise me. "Well, I have yet to start working, so I will be able to find out what I can afford after a few days, but may I start with the balcony suite, and if necessary switch down to the sunset view?"

He nodded in assent. "Absolutely. Here is your key," he said, grabbing a small iron key from inside the counter in his teeth and placed it down in front of me. I nod to him and pick it up, placing it in the saddlebags Twilight lent me, next to the books. "You will find the stairwell straight down the hall and then at the end of the next hall to the right. The room is number 24, on the left side, second down."

"Thank you very much. Do mind if I simply drop my stuff off their for now, and then I will take off to start my new job?"

He smiled broadly. "Not at all! And don't worry about rent for a while; you can pay it back later, after you've earned yourself a few bits. I am sure you will pay me back."

I nodded. "Absolutely. I hate being in debt to others; too many strings attached in most cases." We both share a quick laugh, and I nod to him, making my way down the hall.

When I made it to my room and entered, I noticed the sudden change in atmosphere. The walls were a more tan-like off-white, and the furniture was made of a light coloured wood, with cream cushions. There was a small entryway with a coat hanger next to the door on the left and a bathroom directly to the right. Just passed the coat hanger there was a small kitchen facility, bearing a stove, microwave, mini fridge, and sink, with four cupboards. On the right of that was a small sitting area, and past that was another door, likely leading to the bedroom. I walked in to it, and saw the bed was made with sheets in a matching cream colour to the furniture outside in the main room, a small end table, and there was a closet to the left of the door. I dropped my saddlebags on the bed next to the table, content to sort it out later. I left the room and turned back to the right, walking between the kitchen and bedroom to the far wall, where the glass door was located. I opened it and stepped out to see what sort of view I had.

I was pleasantly surprised; due to the facing of the hotel, I was aimed towards the library and the park behind it, therefore granting me a forest view. I admired it for a few seconds before nodding and leaving the apartment.

~

I locked the door behind me and stopped for a second, wondering what I would do with the key. I decided to weave it under the feathers of my wing, against my body. After leaving the hotel I began my trek to Sweet Apple Acres, and arrived in time to see Applejack come out of the barn. She noticed me and grinned, waving me over. "Ink! Glad tah' see yah'! Come on over, we'll get yah' started here."

I trotted over, grinning back. "Howdy! I'm glad to be here; it will do me some good to start working. What do you need of me?"

She nodded, still smiling and turned into the barn, gesturing with her head to follow. We both made our way into the centre of the barn, and she looked up. I followed her gaze to see the loft, completely empty. "We need tah' start loading; apples up there, but it's mighty hard on Big Mac and me. We were hoping that a good strong pegasus could lift 'em there. You were the only one to answer our add."

I nod, looking up to the loft again after turning to her while she spoke. "Well, I will try my best. I will warn, though; I need to figure out how flying works, first."

Applejack nodded, remembering that I only just got the wings. "Right. Well, good luck figurin' it out. If'n yah need help with it, ah can fetch Rainbow for yah'. No flier better than her."

I smiled appreciatively, inclining my head in thanks. "I would appreciate it. It's probably better that we get her now, rather than have me attempt to fly and break something, be it myself or another, person or object." We both share a quick laugh.

"Yah might be right about that. I'll grab her, and git her tah' help yah'." She waved quickly and trotted off, leaving me in the barn.

I look back up to the loft, and the ceiling above it. I noticed the good, strong a-frame construction of the ceiling, and wonder how strong the beams actually are. If I can find out, I might be able to assemble a pulley system with an elevator to transport goods up top, or ponies. I walk around a bit, getting looks at different angles of the construction of the barn, estimating distances and materials needed. I began to dig in the dirt floor of the barn, sketching out the system I was thinking of.

Near the end of my design AJ returned with RD in tow. "Hey Ink! I heard you needed to learn how to fly?" She flew over and began to keep herself airborne by flying upside down. "You came to the right mare!" She looked at the ground in front of me and flipped back over, settling next to me. "Whats that?"

Applejack walked over, looking down as well. "Yeah, whats that yah' designed here?"

I smiled and looked at them both. "It's a way for any pony to move stuff up top; just a simple elevator that be worked by a lever." I proceeded to describe the blue-- er, dirtprint-- to the ponies, primarily to Applejack, who's eyes grew wider and wider, and smile grew bigger and bigger.

"Ink, do yah' mind me sayin' yer' a dang genius? This is somethin' Mac an' me could assemble no problem with things we already got lyin' around. Tell yah' what; you git Rainbow here to teach yah' to fly, and I'll grab the materials and tools to make this here thang. Once we both are ready, I'm gonna git yah' to help me an' Mac install this. How did you know how tab' make this here thang anyhow?"

I smile, nodding in thanks. "I always enjoyed physics as a human, and liked to build with a construction toy called lego, creating all kinds of interesting mechanical systems."

Applejack smiled even more. "Well, I gotta thank yah' agin fer' designin' this. Lets git to 'er so we can git this done faster!" She nodded and waved, running out to find her brother.

Rainbow just kept staring at me, dumbfounded. "Your pretty smart, huh?"

I laughed. "Well, I like to think so. All my friends on Earth called me a genius. Anyway, enough bringing my human life up. I want to learn how this body I have in my pony life works, from one of the most skilled in using one!" I say, prompting a broad grin from the cyan mare.

"You got it!"