• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 475 Views, 12 Comments

Among the Shadows - Flutterkiin



Princess Celestia has always had an eye in Ponyville from Twilight's arrival. This is his story.

  • ...
 12
 475

Return to Ponyville

The sun was just rising as Sil came around the last bend in the road and looked upon Ponyville for the first time in years. He pulled up the hood of his cape as he stopped to take in the view. Although he was still about an hour’s walk away, he could see that not much had changed in that simple little town. The Apple Orchards seemed to be a bit larger than he had remembered, but it shouldn’t surprise him.

“The Apple Family is known all across Equestria for their apples, and the fertile valley that Ponyville lies in would make this prime growing ground,” thought Sil as he continued walking. As he looked around, he could sense the animals waking up for the day, the birds were chirping and the cool breeze came from the south as the moon started to disappear beyond the western horizon, meaning that Celestia’s sun was rising behind him as he walked down the slow descent from the foothills between Canterlot and Ponyville. It would have been faster to take the train, but Sil knew he had nearly two weeks before his true job began.

“I wonder,” Sil thought, “why Celestia would send me so early to Ponyville. I know she knows my work better than to think I’d need all this time. I hope she didn’t plan on me spending any time with my family. I left them behind to go to the Academy, and I haven’t spoken to them since I graduated. I fear that they have grown to resent me in my absence and for my lack of correspondence.”

As Sil approached the small town, the sun was already making its trek across the sky. Ponyville was now a buzz as all different types of ponies filled the streets. Sil decided that as soon as he got settled in, he should choose a disguise so that he may interact with all the ponies without seeming shady. For now, he looked like a traveler, a simple pony making his way from wherever to who cares. However, as Celestia had said, if everything went according to plan, he would need to cease looking like a traveler and start looking like a new resident. He decided then that he should stop in and talk to an old friend; maybe he could assist him in his task.

Just when Sil started to turn toward his new destination, a certain blue mare with a blue and white mane came into his sight. Wanting to avoid her attention, he quickly cast his invisibility spell and moved off to the side of the road to wait for her to pass. When she had gotten to close where he was standing, she stopped and her ears suddenly perked up. Her horn started to glow and Sil felt her magic around him. The mare never turned, but instead she gave a little smirk.

“Well, never thought I’d see you back here in this little town, big brother,” She said as Sil stepped closer while simultaneously becoming visible and throwing back his hood.

“Hello, Colgate. I thought you were still in Canterlot studying whatever it is you were studying. I must have gotten rusty, if you were able to sense me without even using your magic. How, might I ask, did you learn that?” Sil asked as the young mare walked up to him.

“First of all, I have been studying dental work, and just happened to have graduated a week ago. I just got back here, as I had a party to attend in Canterlot. In answer to your question, I minored in Counter-Intelligence just so I could learn to sense my own brother whom I haven’t seen in oh-so-long should he ever be close to me. I think that our sibling relations helped me sense you as well, though, as it was just a minor,” Colgate said, smiling at her brother. Sil sighed as she nodded in a direction and the two began walking down the street.

“What brings you back, anyway?” Colgate asked as Sil noticed a blonde-maned orange Earth Pony working the very apple stand that he had helped Mac with when he was still living in Ponyville. It shocked him to see that through all the years, the stand was still in the exact same spot.

“I am back here on, temporary leave,” Sil said. Colgate looked at him with disbelief.

“Right, like I believe that. All these years, and you choose now of all times to return here? If I may be so bold, I believe you’re here because the Summer Sun Celebration is happening here and you’ve been sent to scope out the area before the Guard comes to plan their security. I’m not stupid, you know. I know what your occupation is, bro,” Colgate said, chuckling at her own cleverness.

“All I’m going to say is you’re both right and wrong. More importantly, I need to ask you something. Is Big Macintosh still working at Sweet Apple Acres? I noticed that he was not working the Apple stand,” Sil said as he and Colgate arrived at their parents’ house.

“Yeah, I believe so. From what I’ve learned on my trips to the market is that mare you saw is his sister, Applejack. I’ve talked to her a couple times when I had to buy some apples, and she seems pretty nice. Why, you looking for a special somepony? Or do you already have one in your secret little life of yours?” Colgate said with a mischievous grin.

“No. For all of your questions, no. I don’t have time to have a somepony now. I was merely wondering because I wanted to talk with him. I need to leave now, as I shouldn’t have my presence be known. At least not as myself. You can go ahead and tell mom and dad that I’m back, but you must also tell them not to reveal that I’m home to ANPONY, do you understand?” Sil said as he turned to make eye contact with his younger sister.

“Understood, big brother. But you need to understand this. I can’t tell them that unless you plan on talking to them soon, okay?” Colgate asked, and as she looked back at Sil, he could feel the heat of her stare as she looked into his soul.

“Understood. Tell them I’ll be visiting tomorrow. Though I will not look like myself, okay?” Sil asked as Colgate nodded. “Good. Then I shall be seeing you, little sister.”

Sil placed the hood back on his head as he came up to the gates of Sweet Apple Acres. He knew that if Mac was still at the farm, he’d be working out in the orchards. His suspicions were confirmed as he saw a tree shake violently as all the apples fell out. He walked up to the Farmhouse and was greeted by an old green mare with a white mane.

“Hello there, stranger! What brings you up to our little ol’ house?” she asked as she rocked in her chair.

“Hello, Granny Smith. I’m here to catch up with an old friend, your Grandson Big Macintosh. Should you need it, I shall reveal my identity now, but I would like it if you would ever so kindly keep it from him, as I wish it to be a surprise,” Sil explained. Granny smiled and waved a hoof at him, inviting him up.

“I know yer voice, Silent. All these years an’ yer still just as much family as anypony,” Granny said as she embraced Sil. Sil took his hood off and smiled back at the old mare.

“Thank you, Granny. How has everypony been over the years?” Sil asked as he took a seat on the bench beside her.

“Ah been hard at work keepin’ this place up an’ runnin’. Ah’ve never seen so many Apple trees before. We’ve come a long, long way since mah days as a filly.” Granny said as she gestured toward the orchards. “Big Mac has been workin’ so hard since yah left. Ah reckon he puts in about 10 hours every day, makin’ sure this orchard is spick-an’-span. His younger sister, Applejack, works down in the market sellin’ our yield. She’s about the most honest pony ever come from Ponyville. Hates lyin’ with a passion. Takes after her brother an’ father in their stubborn ways. Then there’s lil’ Apple Bloom. She ain’t found her cutie mark, yet. Poor lil’ thing takes quite a lot of flak from the other fillies fer it. She’ll find her special talent, soon enough, though. Ain’t a day goes by Ah don’t see her growin’ into the hard workin’ mare Ah know she’ll be. Applejack an’ Macintosh have had to see after her ‘cause of the accident when they were young. Apple Bloom was jus’ a lil’ thing back then. You prolly never even seen her, Ah’ll reckon,” Granny said. As Sil was about to answer, she stopped rocking and got out of her chair.

“Ah’ll see ‘bout gettin’ some dinner up an’ ready for ya’ll when Macintosh gets back. He’ll be any minute now, if yer wantin’ to wait a bit,” Granny explained.

“Thank you, Granny. And thank you very much for your hospitality. Do you need any help with dinner preparations?” Sil asked as he stood up to follow Granny.

“Oh don’t be so silly. Ah’ve got more help’n I need with lil’ Apple Bloom. B’sides, yer our guest of honor, long lost family comin’ back an’ all. You talked with yer parents yet, Silent? Ah’ll be willin’ to bet they’ll be missin’ you somethin’ strong.” Sil heard the sound of hooves coming down the stairs inside.

“I won’t lie to you, Granny. I haven’t, because I am afraid of their reactions to my not talking to them for years.” Sil looked down in shame.

“Don’ you be worryin’ yerself with that nonsense! Yer parents love you a lot, and they’d be happier’n you could imagine if you’d visit ‘em!” Granny stated as she opened the door to the house. “Now you jus’ wait here an’ supper’ll be ready in ‘bout an hour.”

“Yes Granny.” Sil raised his head and put on a smile.

An hour later, Sil was called in from outside and Granny smiled as a little yellow filly with a bow in her red mane ran toward the strange pony.

“Ah don’ know you! Granny said ta be nice ta strangers, but Ah gotta know who yah are! So who are you an’ what do yah want?” the little filly asked as she looked curiously into Sil’s eyes.

“Apple Bloom! He’s an ol’ friend of Macintosh, an’ he’s more’n that, he’s family. This here is Silent, and he’s our special guest,” Granny said sternly as Apple Bloom’s ears folded.

When Sil let out a chuckle, Apple Bloom turned around at him and he brought his head down to her level and whispered, “Don’t worry, I don’t blame you for being curious about a stranger in your house. I’m an old friend of your brother.”

Apple Bloom smiled as her ears perked up and invited Sil into the dining room. As he walked in, he saw an excellent feast layed out on the table. There was everything from Apple fritters to Apple Pie in the desserts and there was a great big salad with a ton of vegetables. He smiled as he took a seat next to Apple Bloom (for she had wanted him to sit next to her) and no sooner had they all sat down when the sound of the door swinging open hit Sil’s ears.

“Ah’m home Granny! Sales were kinda slow today, Ah reckon everypony just got their fill yesterday, as it was busier than Ah’ve seen it all month!” A female voice said as the owner of the voice walked into the dining room. Apple Bloom ran over and jumped at the orange pony Sil had seen earlier. He knew this had to be Applejack, and he could see the similarities between her and her late mother.

“Applejack, Ah’d like you to meet Silent. He’s an ol’ friend of Macintosh’s and a part of our family in a sense. Why, we even came up with a name fer him way back when he was ‘round this farm back in the day,” Granny said as Applejack looked carefully at the stranger in her house.

“Well howdy, Mr. Silent. It’s a joy to finally meet yah. Big Mac used to talk ‘bout you all the time. Ah reckon Ah’ve heard all ‘bout yer little adventures with him,” Applejack said, shaking Sil’s hoof on her way to her seat at the table. “Is Big Mac not back yet, then, Granny?”

“Ah’m here, Ah’m here. Had a bit of trouble with the cart an’-” A deep and familiar voice said as the tall and built Red workhorse walked into the dining room. “Well Ah’ll be. Look what the winds have brought home.”

“Hello, Big M. Sorry about the lack of correspondence, my job has kept me on my hooves this whole time. Hope you’re not too tired for some talk,” Sil said as he stood up.

“Ah could talk for quite a while. Been a while since there was somepony outside our immediate family that Ah’ve felt like talkin’ to. What brings you down to Ponyville?” Big Mac asked as he shook hooves with Sil.

“Business, I’m afraid. But it’s okay, I’ve been assigned to Ponyville for a while, and it’s not looking like I’ll be too busy for talking. In fact, I wanted to ask you if it’d be alright if I helped out around the orchard for a second job while I’m working my first one,” Sil said. Big Macintosh’s eyes lit up and he smiled ever-so-slightly.

“Ah reckon that’d be jus’ fine. Though, Ah know ya’ll still ain’t very good at buckin’ apples, so Ah think ya’ll would fit right in in our maintenance, eh? First thing’s first though, Ah reckon a Unicorn would stand out a ton if he’d be workin’ on a farm. Still remember yer first disguise an’ mah personal favorite?” Big Mac asked as Sil let out a chuckle.

“Yeah, I think I could do that. I’ll be right back. Give me a moment to change into something a bit more appropriate,” Sil said, much to the confusion of the two younger sisters. As Sil walked out of the room, he could hear Big Mac explaining the situation to his sisters. Sil smiled as his horn began to glow. Soon, his body was enveloped and he could feel himself changing. Once his spell was over, he walked up to the mirror and smiled. His mane was now brown and his body was a light orange. He could see that his eyes had changed to blue and on his flank he could see three blue horseshoes in a triangle form. He smiled as his horn began to glow once again before it disappeared completely.

As he returned to the dining room, Applejack and Apple Bloom both gasped and gave extremely confused looks while Big Mac and Granny Smith both smiled.

“Welcome back, Caramel,” Granny said as they began to eat their dinner.