• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 475 Views, 12 Comments

Among the Shadows - Flutterkiin



Princess Celestia has always had an eye in Ponyville from Twilight's arrival. This is his story.

  • ...
 12
 475

New Objectives

When Shining and Celestia had gotten settled in the conference portion of her office, Celestia nodded toward Sil, who nodded back and began his report.

“I shall begin by bringing Shining Armor here up to speed. I have been tasked with observing Celestia’s personal student as of late. You know her very well, I have no doubt, Shining, as it is your sister, Twilight Sparkle,” Sil said as Shining immediately jumped to his hooves.

“You have been following my sister?! How have I not been informed of this and how can you do that! She is just a-”

“That will be enough, Shining, now relax, Sil here is a professional and he acts very professionally while on the job,” Celestia said as she raised her hoof to calm Shining.

“Thank you, Princess. As I was saying, and might I add please do not interrupt my report thank you, I have been observing Twilight Sparkle. As you have said, Princess, I have noticed her reluctance to do anything social, and tends to keep to her studies. When I left, she was headed to the park to read, and I couldn’t help but notice it was a book containing pre-banishment history. If I am correct in my assumption, she will grow curious about the Elements of Harmony. This will lead her to the prophecy, which you and I both know to be a little more than just another mare’s tale,” Sil explained as the window in Celestia’s office opened and a wisp of green flames materialized a scroll in front of her. Sil and Shining looked at Celestia with eager eyes as she read the contents of the material. After she had finished, she brought out a quill and a piece of paper and began writing, a slight smile on her face all the while.

“Your assumptions are correct, Sil. She has informed me of the prophecy that Nightmare Moon will return on the Longest day of the Thousandth year, just as I have planned. I believe now is the time to act, as the Summer Sun Celebration is in two weeks. Shining,” Celestia said as she turned to the young guard, “as you may know, Captain Strongheart is set to retire in a week’s time. Your past actions have led me to believe that you are worthy to take his place as Captain of the Royal Guard. Congratulations. However, I must warn you that this meeting is strictly confidential, and although it does involve Twilight, you must refrain from telling her anything you have learned in this session.”

“Y-yes your highness… and t-thank you, I will not let you down, your highness,” Shining said, clearly ecstatic. Sil could not help but smile at Shining’s joy.

“I am giving you a two-week leave, with the exception of the Changing of the Guard Ceremony when Strongheart retires. I strongly suggest that you use this time to spend with family,” Celestia said, bringing yet another piece of parchment out and wrote his pass.

“Yes, your highness. Understood.” Shining stood up to leave the royal office. As soon as Sil knew that Shining Armor was out of range, he turned to the Princess and looked at her with worried eyes.

“You’re sure, then, that Twilight is indeed the new bearer of the Element of Magic?” Sil asked, continuing to look at Celestia.

“Indeed. I began to feel her magic potential that day oh so long ago when she took her entrance exam and have felt her magic grow beyond anything I have ever seen from a normal unicorn. She is at par with even the greatest unicorns in history, including StarSwirl and his apprentice, Clover. I have lived to see all the brightest minds, and ever since the Elements left me for the last time, I have been searching for that aura that it gives off. Twilight’s mind is pure, and the Element of Magic’s aura seems to be around her, albeit very faint. She cannot, however, embrace the Element as long as her life is void of the Magic of Friendship. I fear that she will not make friends if left in this palace as my Student. I will send her to make sure the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration are in line. I have felt the presence of the auras of the other Elements all culminating in the little town of Ponyville. I believe you’ve heard of it, no?” Celestia said as she turned to face Sil.

“Heard of it? I was born there. You know that. Very familiar with the surroundings. They still got Sweet Apple Acres going? When I left to join your Illusion Academy, there was this disaster and the owners of the ranch were lost,” Sil said with a bit of a sad tone overtaking him.

His old friend, an Earth Pony named Big Macintosh, was the elder of 3 kids that the owners had. He took it very hard when his parents had died, and Sil wished that he could have stayed around to help Mac out with his pain. But the Illusion Academy was a once in a lifetime choice, and Mac himself even told Sil that he should go.

Sil was just a little colt when he had discovered his natural talent to remain unseen, just like a shadow. Eventually, his shenanigans were just too much for his parents, but his dad saw that his talents could be put to good use, if he could just get his son into a good school. He spent months trying to contact the Headmaster at the Academy, and finally, his entrance exam was scheduled. Before he knew it, he was on the exam floor and nervous as any young colt would be. Soon, he felt his fear come over him and his magic started to pour out. Everything in the room went dark and he felt his entire body go invisible, just as an added security measure. The judges called out to Sil and said that it was very rare that a young colt could black out an entire room. They accepted him and the rest is history.

“Yes. The family Matron had to come out of retirement to take over management of the farm until two of their kids came of age,” Celestia said grimly as Sil looked down.

“I see. Sorry, Princess. Just a bit of nostalgia coming out of my closet, if you will,” Sil said as he straightened his posture. “I take it you’ll have me do a bit of reconnaissance then?”

“Yes. You will be tasked with trailing Twilight and making sure she doesn’t get into too much danger. If she ever comes into death’s grasp, please help her, but other than that, just observe and report back to me. I should also warn you that I will be out of touch around the time of the Summer Sun Celebration. It will be dark out for a long while, which should make you feel comfortable,” Celestia said as she stood up.

“Does this mean what I think it means, then, Princess? That Nightmare Moon will return and you will be her captive? You place that much faith in your sense?” Sil ask as he too stood up.

“Yes. I know for a fact that Twilight will pull through. Go now, to Ponyville, and get set up. I don’t expect to have need of your services until Twilight arrives in Ponyville. Besides, if all goes according to plan, you will be staying there for quite a while,” Celestia said as Sil walked to the door of her office.

“Yes, Princess. I understand my orders, and I will not let you down. Thank you for giving me this task."

“Well this should be interesting. Ponyville, eh? I hope they have forgotten all about me.” Sil thought as he made his way through the Canterlot Palace.