• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 19,407 Views, 2,502 Comments

My Little Changeling -- "I" is Magic - Wing Dancer



In the far north, where changelings live, change begins -- a single changeling learns to think...

  • ...
42
 2,502
 19,407

PreviousChapters Next
With Great Power, Comes...

Shining Armor still had his doubts about Redberry, but the stallion worked really hard to put them to rest. Ever since they had that heart to heart, the earth pony worked harder than anyone else to better himself. He observed the recruit strain and groan, but never complain, working out with his black weight pouches attached to his limbs and back. The Captain didn’t know how much he wore, but it was obvious by the sound his hoofsteps made it was a lot - the first time Redberry jumped down from a wall with a ground-shattering thud, he was certain the pony broke something. His worries were put to rest by what could only be described as a delighted grin on the stallion's muzzle.

Chip was enjoying himself much more now that his body had to work for its meals. He felt adrenaline course through his body as he struggled to keep up with his platoon. The burn in his muscles, a sensation he hadn’t felt in so long, drove him to a near primal state of euphoria. He was truly happy doing squats, jumping hoops or climbing ropes. He loved the quaking feeling his body went through when he jumped down, almost robbing him of breath and feeling in his limbs.

He lost himself so much in improving his body that lectures became an unwelcome break between exercises. While he still paid attention to what the teachers said and dutifully answered his tests, all he really longed for all day long was to gear up in his bags and gallop around the camp.

As the days went by, Chip started noticing a problem. A very serious problem. He was hungry. And the scent of Butterscotch was so enticing…

* * *

The butter-yellow pegasus was doing a fine job, if he could say so himself. He was fit, scored decently and even started making friends with the other recruits. What they thought was timidness turned out to be righteousness, a quality Captain Shining Armor said was very important in a Royal Guard. The others were very eager to know more about it, and Butterscotch was happy to deliver, even if he wasn’t clear on how to pass down the sense of moral justice to another.

While not talking a whole lot to the others, he always found himself having a lot to say around Redberry. The stallion was mostly silent, but turned out to be an excellent listener, sometimes inquiring about things the pegasus said or did. Him and Thunderlane, a pony who usually just floated in the vicinity, were someponies Butterscotch could perhaps call friends.

As of late, Redberry became a lot more active, happier to a degree. While he was still being the target of the Captain’s nagging, he took it well and exerted a lot of confidence, something Butterscotch didn’t have in copious amounts. He felt naturally drawn to the earth pony, feeling safe whenever he was around. It was strange, really. He never had anypony in particular who he looked up to in his life. His parents were good folk and raised him well, but the pegasus wanted to be someone more than just another gray face in the streets. He went way out of his comfort zone and applied to the military, and was lost for some time, stubbornly continuing down his path despite not being able to draw any pleasure from it.

With Redberry now, he felt he had the backbone to actually focus on something, strive for more than just being part of the group. He never talked to the earth pony about it, but he treated him like somepony he could lean on in case he got...well, scared. It was a great feeling, to finally get out of his shell. Whether the red stallion knew it or not, he helped Butterscotch catch wind in his wings, so to speak.

* * *

Butterscotch chatted up Chip on their way to the dining table. The pegasus was excited, having just scored top of the class in the law case study they had. He happily chirped away at how he reached the conclusions he did, not noticing the peculiar way his listener stared at him.

The changeling took deep, long whiffs of Butterscotch’s emotions. The pegasus was happy, excited, proud of himself. He felt the bond that connected them both, the mouth-watering sweetness of friendship. It was as vibrant and strong as it could get. It was just inches away from his face. All it took was perhaps a small flash of transformation to whip his horn out and begin to feed. His body and mind were hungering, the physical strain demanding proper nourishment. Chip had to make a conscious effort to not jump Butterscotch over the table.

“How about you, Red? I know you did excellent as always, but what do you think of these cases?” asked the yellow treat, snapping Chip out of his trance.

“Huh?” gulped the deceiver, his muscles pent up and ready for a pounce. “Oh, uh, yeah. It seemed fine to me. Why?”

Butterscotch raised an eyebrow, stopping his spoon mid-way to his mouth. “Are you kidding me? The law back then was so horrid! I mean, all the poor sod did was get some wheat for his family! She shouldn’t have been-”

The rest of the pegasus’ fiery speech was lost on Chip. The bouquet of scents his senses were constantly barraged with threatened to overwhelm him. He had to do something about it. He had to consult Celestia about his needs. It was, after all, her idea. He knew the talk would be extremely hard, as he himself was very much against the idea of feeding on another pony. But with his body requiring real energy in order to grow, there was no way around it. As it were, he could finally reach a point at which he’d attack an innocent in a frenzied rage, unable to stop himself from blowing his cover and failing the mission. That was unacceptable.

“I’m sorry Butters, I have to go,” said the changeling, standing up and stiffly walking away, much to the silent surprise of the yellow pegasus.

* * *

“You want to talk to the Princess? But why?” asked Shining Armor, scratching his head. They have barely begun their lesson for the night when Redberry made a request to talk to the sun goddess herself. “If it’s something regarding your training, you can tell me. I’m here to help, remember?”

Chip shook his head slowly. “No, Captain. This is a matter that I need to discuss with the Princess, and as fast as possible. It would be best if you even brought her in now.”

“You can’t be serious, right? She’s probably fast asleep by now. What’s so important anyway?” asked the Captain again, both intrigued and worried.

The recruit stood up, a grim expression on his face. “Sir, if you won’t bring her to me, I will be forced to go there myself. This matter is extremely important, and it’s between me and the Princess. I’m afraid...sir, don’t take this the wrong way. It’s best you not know.”

Shining pursed his lips together but didn’t reply. He worked in the military long enough to sense when it’s best to just drop the subject. It just seemed really weird that the Princess did not provide this pony with means of contacting her, magically or otherwise. This was all very mysterious and over his head.

“And you’re sure this can’t wait till morning or anything?” asked Shining, already knowing the answer by the way the red pony looked at him. It was a rock gaze of determination. Almost like looking into a mirror several years back. “Alright, I’ll do my best. You wait here - it’s best if only I go around making a commotion with my unreasonable demands.” He exited the safety bubble of his office, briskly strutting towards the inner parts of the castle. Despite his better judgment, he decided he would ask the Princess what was going on. Maybe he could help in a more efficient way if he were briefed better on the current mission?

PreviousChapters Next