• Published 29th Jun 2016
  • 534 Views, 26 Comments

Chineighs Word of the Day - Super Trampoline



They say the best way to learn a language is to actually use it, so each day I'll post a short story featuring a Chineighs word in place of an Equestrian one. This will be focusing on Pinyin as opposed to characters, because characters are a pain!

  • ...
2
 26
 534

Fùkuǎn (付款): To Pay Bills

Twilight was tired of beating around the bush, and so tried a more direct approach: "So, uh, Fluttershy, I know I've known you a few months, but I guess I've never actually asked: how do you fùkuǎn?"

"Oh, uh, well, the answer is a bit embarrassing. I'd rather keep it to myself, if that's alright."

"While normally I'd respect that, you did ask me for help on your taxes. I need to know what you do for a living. If I don't know how you fùkuǎn, I can't really help you with deductibles." Twilight knew being a good friend sometimes meant helping your friends with things you'd rather not help them with. That didn't make this any less of a hassle though. Fluttershy was 24; this couldn't have been her first time filing taxes.

"Oh, well, I um... uh..."

"It can't be that embarrassing!" Twilight reassured.

"I, uh, melt down bits and sell the raw gold back to the government."

"Ah geez, Fluttershy,, that's like seven types of illegal!"

"Well, yes, but it certainly fùkuǎn. Plus whenever Angel Bunny is being uncooporative, I just threaten to melt him. Works like a charm!"

Twilight was dumbfounded. "Wha-wa-wa?!? This makes no sense! No sense at all!...


Twilight woke up with a start. "Aughhh!" she yelled, a telegraph fee stuck to her cheek. She looked around; it appeared she had fallen asleep at her desk again, up late working on fùkuǎn. Maybe it was time for bed if she was dreaming of weird finances.

Author's Note:

付款: to pay bills

Part of speech: verb-object
Example sentence: 我们吃完饭爸爸就付款。
Sentence meaning: Dad will pay the bill after we finish eating.
Pinyin word: fùkuǎn
Pinyin sentence: Wǒmén chīwán fàn bàba jiù fùkuǎn.