• Published 23rd Jul 2016
  • 441 Views, 38 Comments

Traces of a Hidden Shadow - Teotle



Teotle and Nyx are at it again, making new friends while facing old enemies of the dark.

  • ...
7
 38
 441

Opening Gifts

Teotle had entered the room with the others, who had been waiting for his arrival. He sat down next to Nyx and Scarlet, still holding the gift in his paws. He placed it in front of Nyx, who had wide eyes and a hanging jaw.

"Teotle..." Nyx said, still looking at the gift. "Did you...?"

"No, I didn't." Teotle replied. "My gift to you is still under the tree. I found that at the door. I don't know who or why. All I know is that it's for you."

"Well, you can open it with with the rest of your gifts later." Said Twilight. "But right now, lets start breakfast."

"Ok." Nyx and Teotle said together.

Nightlight lit the fire in the fire place joined the others in watching it grow and change color. Once the fire was set, he stood up to propose a toast. "I'd like to be the first to congratulate everypony for their hard work over this past year, allowing us all to be here today."

"I'd like to welcome our granddaughter, Flurry Heart, Twilght's new student, Starlight Glimmer, and our families newest friends, Teotle and Scarlet. May this Hearths Warming bring us closer together for years to come." Nightlight and everypony else raised there glasses and began to sip from their glasses of orange juice.

Once everypony had eaten their meals and concluded breakfast, they took the dishes to the kitchen and worked together to wash them. After that, they gathered back around the fire place as Spike passed around the presents. Once everypony got their gifts, they took turns in a circle opening each gift they had received.

A few minutes go by until everypony opened their gifts, except for Nyx, who left two gifts for last. One was from the front porch, and the other was from Teotle. Nyx liked the presents she got from he rest of her family, but she was more excited about the two that remained.

She started with Teotle's gift. after tearing off the wrapping paper and opening the box, she pulled out several blue cubes that appeared to be made out of a type of crystal.

"I know they don't look like much." Teotle said. "But they're just the first part of your gift."

"How'd you get the crystals to look like that?" Twilight asked.

Cadance then answered, "I helped him sculpt them like that, using a special transfiguration spell to give them their shape. They're made of a rare crystal that is only found in his homeland. They aren't perfect, but they will get him and Nyx started."

"Started for what?" Starlight asked.

Teotle's smile grew as he replied, "I signed Nyx and I up for this years science fair at school."

Nyx looked at him in surprise, her cheeks forming the widest smile she could make. "YOU DID?!", she asked excited.

"Yep, and then some. In order to make our project, we need to send one crystal to each culture we've made ally's with over the years, the dragons, the griffons, the buffalo's, all of our friends from far away lands. They will help us out with some instructions I've written off for them."

"Why?" Shining Armor asked. "Shouldn't you be doing the project?"

"We are." Teotle replied. "But we can't do that without a few necessities, things that only they can provide."

Night Light interjected by saying,"Shouldn't you ask the princesses before you..."

"Already done." Teotle interrupted. "But I can't say anything else, because I want you to be surprised."

Everypony nodded and let Nyx open her next gift. When he looked inside, she was dumbfounded. It was a box of gourmet chocolates, shaped like a heart. There was a letter taped on the box as well.

Nyx opened the letter and took out a card read allowed, "Dear Nyx, I have heard much about you, how you were nightmare moon and how everypony used to treat you. I'd don't believe you are what they say you are. I want to meet you. Meet me at the playground at school in spring, before the first bell. We'll talk there."

"Aw!" Twilight said. "I think you have a secret admirer."

"Nyx blushed and replied, "I don't know what to say."

"Should we confront this person?" Teotle asked, putting his paw on his chin.

"We?" Twilight asked. "I think Nyx should talk to him by herself and see what she thinks."

Teotle interjected and said, "But what if they're mean to her? What if they're a secret assassin? What if..."

"Assassin?" Twilight interrupted. "Teotle, you've been hanging out with Pinkiepie too much. I'm sure whoever sent Nyx this gift is just wanting to make friends."

"Or maybe something more." Cadance added, giving Twilight a humorous nudge on the shoulder.

"That's a pretty big maybe, Candance." Teotle groaned.

"That's enough of that topic for now, everypony." Velvet said, trying to keep them from giving Nyx a panic attack.

"I agree." Night light added. "I say we read the tale of the first Hearths Warming together. Luckily, I have the family book."

Night light then took out a old book that told about the history of Hearths Warming. The book was a bit ragged with a few folds and stains on the pages, but it was still readable. He opened the book to the first page and began to read. Teotle however wasn't listening. He still had worries festering in his mind about this mysterious person who left Nyx that gift.

"Teotle?" Nyx asked, waving a hoof in front of Teotle's face.

"Huh, what?" He Stoddard, breaking out of his thoughts.

"Is everything alright?" Night Light asked, looking up from the book.

"Yeah, I'm ok." Teotle answered.

Night Light raised an eyebrow in disbelief. He knew what was wrong. He's a father/grandfather now, so he knows when something is wrong in a child's mind. However, he didn't want to hit any nerves, and with that, he went back to the paragraph he left off on.