• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 498 Views, 4 Comments

Coyote in Equestria - Coyotek4



A coyote from another world has stumbled into Equestria. Will he be able to return to his own universe. Will he want to?

  • ...
 4
 498

Chapter 5: a Night of Unicorns

The door to the Carousel Boutique opens, with a white unicorn foal levitating a couch in front of her and a chatty coyote following.

“They’re dress models,” Sweetie Belle insists. “I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“The whole motif to this boutique is a carousel; it looks like you’re jamming rods through ponies. You really don’t see that as macabre?”

“Maca-what?”

“Creepy.”

“Did you talk this much before you got here?”

“Sweetie Belle, is that you?” Rarity enters from the kitchen area. “Oh good, you brought the couch back.”

“I said I would. Don’t you trust me to do anything?”

Sweetie Belle lowers the couch to the ground as Rarity inspects it. “OH MY … why are the feet covered in mud?”

“Well, I may have dropped it on the way back. But only a couple times. And it’s not like I dropped it into the river or anything.”

Rarity’s horn glows as a washcloth levitates and floats to the feet to wipe away the grime. “Well, no real harm done, I suppose. I know I need to trust you more, but you simply must be patient with me. You know how I get with details.”

“Do you always use unicorn magic to just move objects about?” the coyote asks.

“Well how else would the job get done, then?”

Admittedly, hands with opposable thumbs are out of the question.

“I know Applejack and her whole clan use their mouths to hold things,” the coyote offers.

“Which is perfectly acceptable for those who lack the powers that some of us have,” Rarity counters. “We all have our strengths and weaknesses here, of course; I wouldn’t have the strength to toil away with the physical tasks that working on a farm requires. To be honest, dear, I’m surprised you’re able to help out all that much.”

“Well, it’s not like I’m doing the heavy-lifting. Mostly, I assist Apple Bloom with her chores. I gotta say, the kids here are mature beyond their years.”

“What, do you mean the goats?”

“Uh, no, I mean kids like Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie Belle protests, “I’m not a goat!”

Rarity then corrects the coyote: “Perhaps you mean ‘foals’ when you say ‘kids’. Little goats are ‘kids’.”

“Oh … yeah, sorry. I’m still getting used to the proper terminology around here.”

Note to self: use ‘pony’ instead of ‘body’ for everything.

“I do thank you for keeping Sweetie Belle company on the trip back. I hope that your consultation with the Cutie Mark Crusaders went well.”

“You know, I really think that helped clear my mind. I’d still like some answers as to how I got here, of course. I’m still processing my meeting with Discord.”

“DISCORD???”

Oops, didn’t mean to alarm her.

“Relax, nothing terrible happened. We just had a brief conversation regarding what brought me here.”

Really. Did he admit to causing this mess?”

“He swears he had nothing to do with it. And I believe him.”

“I wouldn’t believe a word that deranged draconequus says. Reformed or not, he simply cannot be trusted. Especially since Tirek’s return.”

Don’t say a word; you made a promise. Maybe change the conversation.

“So, I take it you do good business here?”

“Hmm? Oh … yes, I do rather well for myself. I’ve even opened up a branch in Canterlot, and will have a third location soon in Manehattan.”

“So there’s that much demand for dresses … but everywhere I look, all the ponies around here walk around with no clothes at all.”

Rarity is quick to address this concern. “Dresses are for special occasions, and we certainly have many such occasions in Equestria. Do you mean to tell me that your world had no such occasions?”

“For the month or so I was in action, there was no civilization. Just battles and skirmishes. Before that, I have no recollections of the home world I … ‘supposedly’ came from. But the dreams I had while in that world … the inhabitants there wore clothing all the time.”

“Hmmm, this ‘dream world’ you speak of. I wonder if there’s any similarity to the world Twilight has visited.”

Wait, what?

“Twilight Sparkle has been to another world?”

“A parallel universe, as it were. But only a couple times, and only for emergency circumstances. Those are stories in and of themselves.”

Sweetie Belle adds to this: “Yeah, it’d probably take about an hour plus for each of those stories. More if you needed to take a break every now and then.”

Paying little attention to her sister’s comment, Rarity continues on: “She hasn’t visited that world in over a year now. I and the others have been really curious to see what it’s like, but Twilight warns us that there are parallels of all of us in that world, and no one knows what would happen if one of us met our double.”

Just when I think I’ve heard everything I needed to hear about this place!

Before another word can be uttered, the bell above the front door jingles. Rarity begins speaking as she turns to the prospective customer:

“Welcome to Canterlot Bou-- … you! What do you want?”

Wow, did Rarity ice over in a hurry! And what’s with the getup on this one? I know about the unicorn magic here and all, but this seems over the top, what with the cone hat and matching cape.

“THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE … has a hole in her cape. Is there a chance you can have it fixed by tomorrow?”

“Oh. Well, let me take a closer look.”

Huh. She seems calmer now. What’s the history with these two?

“Yes, I can fix this quickly enough. Just leave the cape here overnight and come by tomorrow at eleven.”

“THE GREAT AND … Uh, Trixie thanks you.”

“Excuse me for asking, but do you always talk in the third-pony?”

Trixie turns to the coyote. “Trixie hasn’t seen you around here before. And you don’t seem like the type to frequent a business such as this. Trixie is curious; who are you?”

“I came to Ponyville about a week ago, from … out of town.”

“Indeed. And have you heard the stories regarding the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

“Uh … do you mean ‘you’? And if so … no, I have not.”

Sweetie Belle fake-coughs “Ursa Minor!”

“What was that?”

“What? Oh nothing, just clearing my throat.”

Trixie stares daggers at Sweetie Belle, then turns back to the coyote.

“Trixie needs to grab some dinner. Would you care to join me?”

“Me? Uh, sure, I could eat. Still getting used to the diet around here.”

Rarity quickly addresses the coyote: “Oh, I was about to fix something up for Sweetie Belle and myself; you could dine with us if you like.”

Is Rarity trying to stop me from joining this pony?

“I appreciate the offer, Rarity, but it wouldn’t hurt for me to meet new ponies while I’m here. But thank you anyway.”

Trixie and Rarity are staring daggers at each other again; this is getting awkward.

“Well gee, look at the time, the sun is gonna go down any moment, guess we should head out.”

“Trixie agrees. Let us go.”

Trixie and the coyote leave, leaving the two sisters alone.

“What’s the big deal, sis? Trixie’s reformed, isn’t she?”

“So is Discord, but I wouldn’t trust either one of them.”

* * * *

After a filling dinner and dessert, Trixie and the coyote walk down the Mane Street.

I can definitely get used to the vegan-dessert lifestyle. Getting used to eating without hands, though, is another matter.

“Trixie is less than impressed with your dining habits.”

“Hey, I’m still getting used to this.”

“Getting used to what?”

Oops.

“Uh, nothing. Say, I need to ask you. Are you and Rarity … enemies?”

Trixie’s response is quiet. “… Trixie has many enemies, especially in Ponyville.”

“Why is that? Seems to me that the very notion of ‘enemy’ is a foreign concept in this world.”

“Trixie is confused. What do you mean by ‘in this world’?”

Dangit, I did it again!

“Oh, uh, I just meant that I haven’t experienced a lot of ponies that hold grudges here.”

“Trixie … that is, I have made some mistakes in the past.”

She used ‘I’! Whatever these mistakes were, they seem serious.

“They couldn’t have been that bad … could they?”

“Perhaps you’ve noticed that … ‘I’ … like to refer to myself when speaking.”

“The thought has occurred to me, yes.”

“My ego has gotten the best of me in the past. Not once, but twice. And after those incidents, it’s been hard to find redemption in this town.”

“Well, couldn’t you start over in another town? I assume there are other places to live than this.”

“My reputation has followed me across Equestria. I am an outcast wherever I may go. And I have changed. I may still have moments of … weakness … but I truly have change my ways. But I need to convince others to have any real peace of mind. And it must start here in Ponyville, where all my troubles began.”

“Hey … I can understand. The truth is, there’s someone I need to apologize to as well. Wherever he is.”

Or wherever that vulture’s flown off to, anyway.

“And as far as the way you speak, that’s nothing new to me. I knew a wasp who spoke the same way.”

The comment catches Trixie by surprise. “A wasp? As in, a tiny insect? No insect that Trixie is aware of is like that.”

“Oh, I meant a large insect that … that …”

“Is there something you’re not telling Trixie?”

Now you’ve done it! No hiding this any longer.

“… that’s from another world, like I am! Trixie, I’m not just a stranger to Ponyville; I’m a stranger to this universe.”

Trixie gives off an air of shock, followed by great anger. “What? That’s just … ridiculous! Trixie is insulted at this farcical tale! How dare you!

“It’s the truth! I swear it! I wouldn’t lie to you!”

“Oh sure, everyone in Ponyville gets to mock the Great and Powerful Trixie! Even the non-ponies!

“I WOULD NEVER INSULT A FRIEND!”

Oh, sure you … what?”

The anger quickly dissipates, replaced by pure confusion.

“It doesn’t matter where I’m from, just like it doesn’t matter what you’ve done. You’ve been nothing but kind to me since I met you, and I consider you a true friend.”

Trixie starts to tear up. “I’m … I’m …” She then gives the coyote a hug. “I’m sorry for attacking you like that.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t come clean sooner. We’re not so different, you and I.”

“Trix-- … I consider you a true friend as well.”

The two separate, each glad that the brief rift in their friendship is behind them.

“So Trixie … you seem good with magic. Know any inter-dimensional spells?”

Trixie laughs, causing the coyote to join in.

“Trixie thinks you’re a funny guy.”

Yeah … funny …

“I don’t even know your name.”

“It’s Coyotek. Admittedly, not as fitting a name as it once was.”

“Come to my house-stage; I have someone to introduce you to.”

* * * *

“I’m impressed with this set-up, Trixie.”

“It took many moons for me to get back to where I once was. Still a work-in-progress, I must admit. Oh, there she is!”

Must be my night for unicorns. First Rarity, then Trixie, and now …

“Starlight Glimmer, I’d like you to meet Coyotek. He’s ‘passing through town’, as it were.”

The mauve pony walks up to the twosome. “How do you do?”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. So Trixie says you two recently became friends.”

“Yeah … maybe to Twilight’s chagrin, but hey, everyone deserves a second chance, right?”

Does everypony know everypony else around here?

“Excuse me, you know Twilight Sparkle?”

“Yeah, we go back just over a year. We had … differences, once upon a time. But again ... ‘second chances’, right?”

“Don’t you mean ‘third’ chances?” Trixie chuckles. Starlight Glimmer glares at Trixie for a minute.

“I take it there was some bad blood between you two.”

“It’s a long story. I’m not sure you’d even believe me.” Trixie bursts out laughing at Starlight’s comment, causing the latter to become rather irate. “What’s gotten into you?”

“Go ahead, Coyotek. Tell her.”

Starlight turns to the coyote. “Tell me what?

Really, Trixie? *sigh* OK then …

“You wouldn’t believe me, Starlight.”

Starlight’s response: “You first.”

“OK then … I’m from another universe and got pulled into this world by means of a dimensional rift, landed in the Everfree Forest about a week ago, made friends with an exotic zebra and all sorts of technicolor ponies, had a conversation with a former vulture enemy who flew off, bared my soul to three foals, got portaled into a meeting with a draconequus demigod, had dinner with Trixie and just met you.”

“WHOA … Trixie paid for your dinner?” Starlight turns to Trixie.

“What? My last show’s turnout exceeded expectations. Anyway, it’s not like this one’s pulling down bits right now.”

“So OK then,” the coyote continues, “ ‘Starlight Glimmer’ … top that!”

Starlight smiles as she starts: “When you put it that way … my best friend was taken any from me at an early age, causing me to have such hatred for Cutie Marks that I took over a village where I stole the Cutie Marks from every pony I met, then stole the Cutie Marks from Twilight and her friends, only to have my plans thwarted by them, so I went into seclusion for six moons, then returned with a spell that let me go back in time to break up Twilight’s friendships, but that caused rifts in the timeline of this world, leading to one horrific future after another, until I witnessed a barren wasteland firsthand, causing me to realize that I was responsible for the end of the world, then asking for forgiveness so now I have Twilight herself as a mentor while I try to redeem my past transgressions and … you OK?”

OK, she wins. That was a lot to take in, and then some, but … wait a minute

Trixie addresses the coyote: “You seem lost in thought, Coyotek.”

Starlight adds: “Is everything all right?”

“Starlight … that spell you used to go back in time? Do you know of any possible side effects that spell might have had?”

Starlight ponders for a minute. “To be honest, no I don’t.”

“It’s just that, with all the changes made to the timeline of this world … is it possible that maybe, just maybe, you inadvertently caused the rift that brought me here?”

“NO … I mean, I don’t think that’s possible. But honestly, I never read much beyond the general nature of that spell; who knows what that spell is also capable of.”

“Well, is there anyone in Equestria who might know?”

Starlight pauses before answering: “… I have somepony in mind.”