• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 498 Views, 4 Comments

Coyote in Equestria - Coyotek4



A coyote from another world has stumbled into Equestria. Will he be able to return to his own universe. Will he want to?

  • ...
 4
 498

Chapter 4: Confessions

“… It’s been three days now, but I can’t shake what that vulture said to me.”

“ ‘Go back for what?’ He makes a convincing argument. After all, what am I really leaving behind? Coworkers? It was a rag-tag group, great bots and all … but I wasn’t part of their regular group, either. Not at first, anyway.”

“I was only with that group for about a month, before getting captured. I was able to escape, only to end up … here. Out of the frying pan and into … dare I say, ‘paradise’? I still wonder if all this isn’t a dream.”

“Dreams … that’s the really weird part. When I was a maximal … that is, in my robotic form, I still had visions of an alternate life. I chalked it all up to unique programming. How I had visions of living on a planet of humanoids. I know, you wouldn’t know what a ‘humanoid’ is. But all that … felt real, for so long. Like I lived a whole life in a matter of weeks, before waking up in a whole new place, with a whole new identity.”

“And now? Now, I feel like I have to start over. Live my whole existence was just another dream. Unless, of course, this is the dream. But this feels so real, so right … I just don’t know what to think.”

“So, any thoughts?”

“Uhhh … we’re primarily experts with cutie marks,” replied the small yellow pony with the red mane and magenta bow.”

‘Maybe you should talk to the Cutie Mark Crusaders’, she said. Could’ve warned me they were only foals, Twilight.

The coyote sits up from the couch he was lying on. “I’m sorry, maybe this was just a mistake to see you three. Not that I don’t appreciate you listening to my ramblings; I do thank you for that.”

“ ‘Sorry’? That was an AWESOME story!” replied a brown pegasus with tiny wings.

“Yeah,” added a white unicorn with a styled mane and tail. “I’m seeing why Miss Cheerilee suggested pony psychology for a possible occupation.”

Come on, you two,” urges the yellow foal, who then turns to the coyote. “Well, the way you say it, it sounds like that vulture did want to be friends.”

“I’m sorry, maybe I didn’t make myself clear. He. Was trying. To destroy me.

“And did he attack you when he saw you the other day?”

“Well, no, but—“

“Did he threaten to attack you?”

“I guess not, but then—“

“Did he vow revenge on you for everything you—“

“OK, OK! I get it! Look … ‘Apple Bloom’, right? … so maybe he has changed. But that doesn’t mean that either of us belongs here.”

“Why is it such a big deal that you don’t ‘belong’ here,” the brown pegasus asks. “What does that even mean?”

“We’re not from this world, Scootaloo. Our very presence could have unforeseen, even catastrophic consequences.”

“Like what?” the white unicorn innocently asks.

“Like … well Sweetie Belle, that’s why they’re ‘unforeseen’. I can’t predict what effect my being here will have on this world.”

“Are you plotting to take over Equestria?” Apple Bloom offers.

“Well no, of course not.”

“Are you a crazed lunatic who could go on a rampage at any moment?” Scootaloo proposes.

“NO!” I sure hope not, anyway.

“Are you a mad scientist with wild inventions?” Sweetie Belle inquires.

“That wasn’t really my thing either, no.”

“Then why does it matter how or why you came here?” Apple Bloom restates.

… Well …

“I … I don’t know. Maybe it doesn’t matter. It just feels so … so unnatural, everything I’ve seen here.”

I’ll tell you what’s ‘strange’,” Scootaloo counters, “that world you talk about.”

Sweetie Belle continues, “Were there really no towns or villages where you came from?”

“It was just a peaceful planet. Kinda like this world, but with two moons. There were forests, plains, deserts, mountains … but only animals. Not animals that could talk or think like we do; more like the animals that Fluttershy looks after.”

“So, squirrels and rabbits?”

“Not just those types, Sweetie Belle. Big animals too. Apes, cheetahs, rhinos, rats … I was only a coyote because that’s what was scanned when I woke up from stasis.”

Apple Bloom is puzzled. “What’s ‘stasis’?”

“Basically a hibernation of sorts. I must have been offline … well, ‘sleeping’ … for a couple months. And in that time, I lived an entirely different life. Of a world similar to this one.”

“So this would be what, a third life for you?” Scootaloo asks.

“I suppose this would be, yes.”

“Good things do seem to come in threes, don’t they?” Sweetie Belle asserts.

“Yeah, just look at us!” agrees Apple Bloom. All three foals grin at the comment.

“You’re adorable, all of you. And this world is so … peaceful, and serene. Is it always like this?”

Sweetie Belle is first to respond: “Mostly … buuuut, we have had the occasional bugbear attack.”

“Bugbear?”

“Yeah, but there ain’t much to say about that,” Apple Bloom assures. “Not compared to the rabbit stampede, anyway.”

“I’m sorry, a ‘rabbit’ stampede?”

“Ate everything in its path.”

Scootaloo adds: “And don’t forget the time that Snips and Snails lured an Ursa Minor to Ponyville.”

“Ursa what?

“How about the parasprites?” adds Apple Bloom.

“Don’t remind me!” moans Sweetie Belle. “My sister’s place was ruined by those things!”

“The whole town was destroyed,” corrects Scootaloo.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa … the whole town of Ponyville was destroyed?”

“Took our barn out, too,” adds Apple Bloom. “Then again, the barn’s been destroyed and rebuilt so many times, I’ve lost track.”

“But those are just isolated incidents,” Sweetie Belle reassures. “Minor things, actually.”

“They don’t sound minor.” At this, Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle take turns identifying ‘major’ things:

“You want major? How about Nightmare Moon blocking the sun from rising?”

“Or the changelings crashing the royal wedding.”

“Don’t forget King Sombra trying to reclaim the Crystal City.”

“And how about Tirek siphoning the powers of every pony in Equestria?”

“And then there’s Discord!”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle concur in unison: “Yeah, Discord!

“WHOA-WHOA-WHOA!!! ‘Blocking the sun?’ ‘Siphoning power?’ What the heck goes on in … wait, did you say ‘Discord’?”

“He was one of the first,” Apple Bloom states. “Turned all of Ponyville upside-down and inside-out.”

“But he’s good now,” adds Sweetie Belle. “Although he did betray his friends that one time.”

Scootaloo echoes the sentiment: “Selling out to that monster Tirek? Yeah, ain’t nopony gonna fully trust Discord after that.”

“Girls … er, fillies, wait,” the coyote interrupts. “Discord’s name came up a couple days ago, as possibly creating the rift that brought me here. Do you think he’s actually capable of doing that?”

“From what we’ve seen? He’s probably capable of anything,” Apple Bloom states. The other two nod in agreement.

Can any individual really yield so much power, in any universe? Remarkable …

After a pause, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo again try to appeal to the peaceful nature of their town: “… but overall, it’s very pleasant here.”

“Yeah, I can’t see why you’d want to return to a world with no towns and a life of war.”

… When you put it that way …

“You three have certainly given me a lot to ponder on. You’re all wise beyond your years.”

“Hey, it’s what we do,” answers Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Belle continues: “It’s how we earned our cutie marks … even if you don’t actually have one.”

Yeah, about that …

“Actually, I’ve been meaning to ask someone about those. What exactly is a ‘cutie mark’. Seems like every pony in town has one. What are they, some form of tattoo?”

Scootaloo is puzzled. “What’s a tattoo?”

“They’re markings that one puts on one’s body,” answers Sweetie Belle. “I think Zecora has some.”

Apple Bloom continues: “Well, a cutie mark comes naturally. It indicates what your destiny in life is gonna be.”

I’m not gonna pretend like I understand that, but I don’t think I want to belabor the issue either.

“I see. And I take it that only ponies get these marks.”

“So far as anyone here knows. Why? Did you have a cutie mark before?”

“Well no … at least, not by that name. But I did have an insignia, in a similar location on the body. It resembled a canine’s skull, I guess. It basically signified that I was a maximal.”

Scootaloo looks over the coyote. “I don’t see any markings on you.”

“Exactly; that was the first thing I noticed when I came to this world. It was the first proof that … I’m no longer a maximal. I’m basically just a coyote. I won’t lie; I’m still not used to it.”

“After all we went through to get our cutie marks, I couldn’t imagine losing mine,” Sweetie Belle states. The other two foals nod in agreement, then Apple Bloom continues.

“Well, take it from those who went so long without: it really is just a mark. It doesn’t define who you are. From what we’ve all seen, you’re a decent guy; you don’t need some ‘insignia’ to tell the world that.”

Scootaloo chuckles. “Wow … listen to us now. We needed to tell ourselves that years ago.”

“You know, I think this conversation really helped. Thank you again. Well … it is getting late. Guess I should be returning to the barn.”

“If we’re done here, could you help me return the couch to my sister Rarity. I still haven’t told her that I joined an after-school crochet group, and she’ll probably need it.”

Well, that would explain the ball of yarn on the ground. But why is it glowing all of a sudden …

Without warning, the yarn quickly unwinds from its ball shape and wraps around the coyote, bounding him to the couch. At the same time, a black circle forms at the entrance to the treehouse, growing in size until it completely blocks access to the outside. The three foals scream in terror as the couch hovers off the floor and flies into the circle.

WHAT‘S HAPPENING? WHERE AM I … Wait, I know this place. How did I get here? And who is THAT?

The coyote, still bound to the hovering couch, looks around Fluttershy’s main foyer. Seated on the sofa in the room are Fluttershy and …

“Who … what … are …”

“Oh I’m sorry, did I catch you at a bad time. Were you all ‘tied up’ at the moment?”

“Now Discord,” Fluttershy calmly addresses the creature, “what have I said about treating friends like that?”

So that’s Discord. Aptly named, I suppose.

“He’s not my friend, now is he.” The draconequus turns to the bound coyote. “After all, friends don’t accuse other friends of dragging them from their own universe!”

“I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT!”

“Oh, I told Twilight Sparkle that this wasn’t a good idea?”

Discord turns to Fluttershy: “Wait, this was her idea?” He then turns back to the coyote: “Well then, perhaps I overreacted a bit.”

A bit???

“I didn’t think you would do such a thing,” Fluttershy assures Discord, “but … it’s just that … well, you ‘could’ do such a thing.”

“Fluttershy, could I have a few minutes alone with this individual?”

“Well … yes, of course. I need to feed the animals anyway. Promise you won’t harm him.”

“I promise.”

“Well all right then. I’ll be back in a jif.”

Wait, you’re not just gonna leave me alone with this guy are you? ARE YOU???

Fluttershy leaves the tree, closing the door behind her. Discord turns his attention to the coyote, still bound to the hovering couch. The draconequus addresses the coyote …

“I must ask for your apology, I really thought this was your accusation.”

Oh! … oh … well, that was surprising.

“If I say ‘apology accepted’, would you untie me and let me go?”

“Oh, good heavens no … but I will send you back to where I got you and let you go there. But since you’re here anyway, I did want to speak to you about your recent … trip?”

“Well it’s not like I’m going anywhere soon. I’m listening.”

“Excellent. Now, Fluttershy tells me that Twilight Sparkle told her that you told Twilight Sparkle that you’re from … another dimension?”

“Uh … yes?”

“And you’re wondering exactly how it came to be that you arrived here, correct?”

“The thought has crossed my mind.”

“And it occurred to Twilight Sparkle and the rest of the pony-be-gooders that I was responsible for the rift that opened up into your world.”

“Actually, it was Applejack that proposed the idea.”

“Ah yes, our down-home country lass. I shall have to speak to her about that.”

“Well judging by me hanging off the ground, tied to a couch and pulled from another location via some portal … I can’t say I disagree with her.”

D’OH! … yeah, great job ‘Tek: antagonize the demigod!

Unfazed by the comment, Discord continues: “My omnipotent powers notwithstanding, I swear by Fluttershy’s friendship that I had nothing to do with your being here!”

Wow. That really sounds … sincere.

“… I believe you.”

Discord lets out an audible sigh, then continues in a serious tone. “So long as you’re here, can I confide in you a little secret?”

“Uh, sure, why not?”

“The other ponies here … don’t trust me. They believe that I betrayed them all. That I sided with Tirek in order to rule over Equestria by his side.”

“So I’ve heard.”

“IT’S A LIE!” The words come out of Discord forcefully and passionately. The coyote feels a lump in his stomach as Discord continues.

“I never betrayed those ponies, OR Equestria! Everything thing I did, I did for them. But they can never know this.”

The coyote, still bound by Discord’s magic, is not sure what to believe regarding this diatribe. “I really don’t know any details, so I can’t judge. But I trust Twilight and the others. Even Fluttershy believes you to have betrayed them.”

“Did they mention how it was I who steered them towards finding the Keys to five of the six Locks?”

“… I honestly have no idea what you’re talking abou—“

They know that part, of course. They conveniently forget that part, but they know that to be true. What they don’t know is, I knew they needed that sixth Key. Twilight’s Key. I knew she needed to earn that Key, and I knew that would require a test of her beliefs on friendship.”

He seems rather passionate about all this. What to believe?

“So when Tirek approached me with an offer to betray my friends, I knew what I had to do. To ensure that Twilight would earn that sixth Key. I had to test her. And I knew she would pass. She passed with flying colors! A truly remarkable pony, she is!”

Wow … what do I say to a demigod who’s pouring his heart and soul out to me?

“OK, but if all this is true, why not just let everyone know? Why keep a secret?”

“Oh, they’d never believe me. But more importantly, they shouldn’t believe me. When Twilight forgave me, she did so with all the sincerity that one would need show to someone who truly betrayed her. She can never know that it was all an act … NEVER. This secret … must follow me to the ever-after.”

A small tear forms from Discord’s left eye. The coyote is frozen in thought to match his physical boundedness. Eventually, he utters …

“As long as I am in this world, I swear to you that your secret is safe with me.”

“Thank you.” Discord laughs a bit before continuing: “I’ve been harboring that for so long, it just feels so good to get it off my chest. There is nopony in this world that I would trust with this information; It was most fortunate for me that one such as yourself were brought here, even if not by your own design.”

“So … theoretically, if you could bring me into this world, then you probably could send me back to my home world, right?”

Discord laughs harder now. “Have you any idea how many worlds there are in existence? Try infinity to the power of infinity. I really wouldn’t know where to begin. I suppose I could send you to another world, but to ‘your’ world. Highly unlikely, to say the least.”

So much for that. “Well … do you have any idea how I got here, then?”

“Twilight and her friends are so focused on what I’m capable of; they should look to one of their own, instead.”

“One of their own?”

Before Discord can elaborate, Fluttershy re-enters the tree. “I’m back, everyone.”

“Oh, perfect timing,” Discord comments cheerfully. “Our guest was just leaving.”

Discord waves a paw; immediately, the couch-bound coyote is sent back through the portal, ending up back in the CMC’s treehouse. The couch lands gently on the ground, and the yarn untangles itself and rewinds back into a ball. After a moment of stunned silence, the CMCs approach the coyote.

“Are you OK?” Sweetie Belle asks.

“Where’d you go?” adds Scootaloo.

“Oh, nowhere in particular, just popped into Fluttershy’s place to say ‘Hi’ to Discord.”

“DISCORD???” all three foals exclaim in unison.

“Well … seeing is believing, I guess.”

Apple Bloom is surprised by the coyote’s calm demeanor. “You don’t seem particularly phased by all this.”

“I guess I’m just … gaining experience with this world. So, you still need help with the couch, Sweetie Belle?”

“Just in case I drop it.”

The unicorn’s horn glows and the couch levitates, wobbling in the air.

“Still getting the hang of this.”

Yeah, same here.

Sweetie Belle and the coyote depart the treehouse, hovering couch in tow.

“OK, is there anything else that I should be aware of with this world?”

“Well, we do have a lot of singing here.”

Yeah … maybe not while I’m around.