• Published 15th May 2016
  • 1,267 Views, 30 Comments

The Life of Maud Pie - DrakeyC



A series of short stories about Maud. And rocks. But mostly Maud.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,267

Maud Teaches a Friendship Class

“So, think you might wanna try your hoof at running the school again sometime?” Spike asked as he walked down the halls with Starlight.

Starlight gave a nervous chuckle. “Maybe some other time. Discord aside, this didn’t really go very well. I had to rush around making sure everything was running smoothly. And my teachers weren’t very helpful, Trixie just tried to perform magic tricks, Spitfire made them run laps until they almost passed out, and Maud—” Starlight paused. “We never checked in on Maud! Who knows what Discord did to her!?”

Starlight galloped down the halls, Spike running after her. The two reached the door to the classroom Starlight had assigned Maud, and she threw the door open.

Maud stood at the head of the class, gesturing to a diagram of a rock. Students in the room were silent, paying attention as she spoke and taking notes.

“Metamorphic rocks are so called because they have attributes of both sedimentary and igneous rocks. Like sedimentary rocks, metamorphic rocks are formed from mineral deposits, and like igneous rocks, by exposure to extreme heat plays a role in their creation, hence the term ‘metamorphic’. Metamorphic rocks can easily be confused for sedimentary rocks by the fact both have layers. The layers of metamorphic rocks are called ‘foliation’, and occur as a result of pressure on the rock during its transformation.”

Maud turned to walk to a different part of the diagram and caught sight of the door. “Oh. Hello, Starlight. Students, please give Starlight a friendly welcome.” The students obediently rapped their hooves on the floor in polite applause.

“Um, hi, Maud, everypony.” Starlight walked into the room. “I just wanted to make sure everything was okay with you.”

“Yes. I’ve been covering some basic rock science.”

“Maud makes rocks fun and educational!” a student called out. Several other students nodded and voiced agreement.

Starlight tilted her head. “Your students… like your class?”

“I do have a degree in rock studies.”

“Riiight…” Starlight looked at the students. “So you guys didn’t have any problems during the scavenger hunt?”

A student tilted her head. “Scavenger hunt?”

Starlight recoiled. “You were here the whole time instead of going on the hunt?”

Another student looked out the window. “Huh, did that already happen? Time sure flies when you’re learning!”

Maud stepped closer. “Are you okay, Starlight? You seem stressed.”

Starlight sighed. “I am, though its more I was worried about you. Discord was causing trouble earlier.”

“Oh, him. He was here.”

“He was!? What did he do?”

“He saw I was in the middle of class and he left.”

“He… left.”

“We’ve met before. He knows not to mess with me.”

“Oookay… I’m just gonna back out of the room and close the door behind me. Please don’t be offended.”

“I won’t be. I actually get that a lot.”