• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 2,322 Views, 48 Comments

The Bounty Hunter - Hope Is Never Lost



Calo Nord was an infamous bounty hunter according to all the rumors about him. A strange creature that would kill anything for the right price according to the rumors. Tracking another contract he finds himself in Ponyville. What can happen?

  • ...
6
 48
 2,322

Chapter Two

A heavy haze hung in the air of the saloon. The only source of ventilation was from the cracked windows, and from the batwing door. The two story, rickety looking, wooden construct served as a saloon that could serve and entertain thirty to forty ponies on the first floor, and bed about ten on the second floor, not counting the two or three 'extra service' rooms. Cards were dealt across plank tables, usually to a hoof-full of ponies, who would then proceed to systematically lose their money before beginning a brawl that almost always ended up in several pieces of furniture being broken over the heads of the other players in the game. Quick paced music was played on the piano in an attempt to bring dance to the mind and joy to the hearts of ponies in the saloon. Though the music starkly contrasted since nearly everybody there was there just to drink themselves away, or were already in a happy stupor caused by booze.

The barpony was a green unicorn pony stallion with a gray mane, keeping orders and tabs in a pocket on his black vest, and wiping off empty sections of counters with a white rag that was otherwise kept around his neck. His honey colored eyes observed everything that occurred, and his swiveling ears heard all the rumors and whispers. If there was anypony to go to for news, it was Fill Up.

The noise stopped as the doors to the saloon opened. Everypony stopped and glanced over at the newcomer only to glance away quickly. Some ponies who had completely lost their senses to alcohol only giggled while still going about their ways. Calo Nord stood at the entrance glancing around the saloon before his eyes settled on Fill Up. The barpony could only shiver in fear as the bounty hunter walked towards him with his boots causing a thud with every step until he stood over Fill Up before finally sitting down on one of the bar stools. Taking a large gulp to get rid of the lump in his throat, Fill Up walked over towards Calo.

"W...w...what c...c...can I get you today?" Fill Up asked, pulling out a notepad and pen to begin to take down the order while his pen and paper shook from the lack of concentration in his magic caused by fear.

Calo didn't say anything but only stared at Fill Up causing sweat to slide down the barpony face.

"I'm here to collect my bounty."

Fill Up body shook more while his eyes widened as he saw Calo reached into his pocket. Fill Up could see his death coming towards him. Somepony obliviously placed a bounty on his head. But who? Perhaps one of the ponies he kicked out for being drunk and starting brawls? His train of thoughts was cut off when there was a thud causing him to look down to see a box had been placed on the counter.

"Go get your boss and tell him we have business to discuss."

Calo's voice offered no room for arguing. Fill didn't need to be told twice as he quickly galloped from behind the counter and upstairs that led up to the second floor leaving Calo alone.

He allowed himself to glance around the saloon out of the corner of his eye. All he could see was ponies just going about their business. There was one pony that drew his attention. Glancing closer he could see a pony in what appeared to be a long black cloak just standing off in the corner with her being covered by the shadows hiding her appearance. It would have if Calo wasn't wearing his goggles. A mare from the looks of it. Her fur was white as snow with a black mane.

'That's not suspicious at all.' Calo thought sarcastically as the pony was just staring....at him.

His thoughts were cut off when he heard the sound of approaching hooves across the wood floor. Glancing over he saw the barpony along with his client.

His client was a unicorn with a light brown fur and a dark blue mane. He was wearing a full business suit, with a tie and everything to it. From his torso to his legs, he was fully clothed in proper business attire.

Fill Up just returned to his usual spot while his client walked towards him.

"I heard you have my stuff?"

Calo tossed the box towards the pony who caught it in his magic. The pony stared at Calo before opening his box up enough to see inside. Satisfied he nodded his head.

“It’s done. I’ll take my pay now, in bits.”

"Yes, yes, your money."

The pony levitated a bag towards Calo who snatched the bag, opened it and started counting the bits while his client stood there. Once done, Calo glanced up at the pony and didn't appear to be pleased.

"Is this a joke?" Calo asked with a sneer. "“There’s only five hundred in here. The agreement was one thousand.”

"The agreement was a minimal amount of violence."

"There was no harm done to the pony."

"When I said a minimal amount of violence I wasn't just talking about him but the whole mission. So does three dead diamond dog bounty hunters count as violence?" The pony asked with a smug grin.

"Non-negotiable works both ways. Our agreement was one thousand."

"Sorry but I have no idea what you talking about. Our business is concluded."

The pony eyes widened in fear when Calo had pulled his pistol out and was pointing it at him.

“I took out three diamond dogs like you said with ease. I’m sure as hell I can take you out too.”

"Now now. Don’t get hasty, the royal guard and sheriff in this town would swoop down on you in less than a day if you do that." He tried to sound confident but the sweat dripping down his face gave him away.

“Yeah? Try me.” Calo said, still holding his blaster aloft.

The two just stared at each while everypony was watching the exchange with held breaths.

"One."

The pony eyes widened even further if that was possible.

"Two."

"Okay okay." The pony shouted while levitating another bag towards Calo.

Calo counted it and saw the other five hundred bits he was owed. Satisfied he placed his pistol away and putting the bits in his pocket. "Pleasure doing business with you."

Not even bothering to wait for a reply, Calo walked out of the saloon. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the pony that sat in the corner had gotten up and followed after him. He wasn't sure though. Deciding to see if the pony was following him Calo moved through the buildings zigzagging to see if the pony followed his path.

Going through the buildings were easy. The whole town was styled just like an old western town with the buildings being made of wood and looked to be old yet the wood still stood strong. Each building had a lot of space between them that could easily allow a wagon to go through it.

Glancing back out of the corner of his eye he saw the pony was indeed following him. Coming around the corner he turned while pulling one of his pistols out. Waiting till the mare came around the corner. As soon as she did he grabbed her by her cloak around her neck and spun slamming her into one of the buildings causing her to let out a gasp of pain while Calo pressed his pistol against her head.

"You have the count of three to tell me why you following me before I blow a hole through your head," Calo emphasized by pressing the pistol harder against her head.

Instead of showing fear she smiled causing Calo eyebrows to raise above his goggles.

"So you the infamous Calo Nord."

"Why were you following me?"

"Can't a mare go after such a fine specimen?" The mare asked batting her eyelashes at him while her eyes took on a sultry look.

"Or I could just blast you and leave you rotting carcass here without batting an eyelash." Calo bluffed hoping the mare would buy it. Calo wouldn't kill an innocent or those that couldn't defend themselves.

The mare frowned. "Fine."

Calo let go of the mare and turned walking off putting his pistol away.

"What if I wanted to hire you?" The mare asked causing him to stop.

"I'm not a whorse for hire."

"I mean as a bounty hunter."

Calo turned to stare at the mare to see if she was being serious or messing with him. He stared at the mare to see her face serious. Not even one trace of joking on her face.

"I'm listening."

The mare smiled while her horn glowed causing Calo body to tense while he reached for his pistol in case if she tried anything. He relaxed when he saw her pull out a piece of paper that was rolled up with a binding seal on it.

"Here is the details."

She levitated the paper over while Calo grabbed it once it was close enough to him. He opened it while keeping one eye on the mare. Glancing down he read the details.

Dear Calo,

As you already know I want to hire you for your service. You will be paid well for your service. The bounty you need to collect lives somewhere in Ponyville. If you bring him/her in, you will be paid one million bits. The pony you hunting has stolen many important documents and very precious personal item that belonged to ponies and they are willing to pay anypony who brings the item back to them. If you could return the items than I'm sure they would happily pay for them.

Good hunting!

Calo's eye twitched as he glanced back up at the mare. "Is this a joke? You didn't even give me details of the pony or thing I'm hunting."

"Surely you could find him/her?" The mare asked.

"I refuse. For all, I know you could be putting me in a trap." Calo growled out.

"Well, you can if you want to."

'No shit." Calo thought as he turned to leave while dumping the paper on the ground. No matter how much the bits he wasn't going to go into a trap.

"How unfortunate that you not as good as your reputation."

Calo stopped at the taunt.

"Calo can't even track down one contract."

Calo's eye twitched as the jab on his pride. He knew he shouldn't buy into it but damn it! Now that he thought about it.....those were a lot of bits. Turning he saw the mare smiling as if she read his mind.

"Fine. Where do I find you after the contract is done?"

"Go to Canterlot. I will know when you arrive."

Calo body tensed. Canterlot? Where most of the royal guards were stationed at? Before he could say anything the mare horn glowed a yellow tint while there was a small flash indicating a teleportation spell. Calo stared at where the mare was locating before sighing.

'Time to start the hunt I guess.'

Calo turned to walk off but stopped as he thought about the aura of her magic than simply shrugged his shoulder and walked off towards the train station intending to get a ticket. He couldn't help but smile from the challenge that was waiting for him. It's not like anything was going to happen. He just had to find his quarry and then collect the bounty. All to easy.