• Published 1st May 2016
  • 408 Views, 5 Comments

Violet Skies - Fluttersnake31



A weather scientist falls into a cloud experiment and becomes something more. With her new powers, she's going to unveil Cloudsdale's biggest secret behind their 'breakthroughs' in weather control.

  • ...
 5
 408

Chapter 6 - Lightning in the Morning

Lightning in the Morning

Returning to work a day early wasn't entirely what Violet thought it would be. She had entered the back door again, like the last time she arrived at work, when she heard who she could only guess was the new assistant to the CEO, Rainbow Dash. The two were doing an early tour of her bay and it sounded like Rainbow was obviously trying to reassure her new assistant that this department was busy. At least the equipment had been moved into the bay like Rainbow had said she'd do.

"Rainbow, this equipment is nice, but it's not what I was looking for. I don't know if you had been paying attention to what is happening in the frozen north. They've discovered a kingdom that thrives on it's icy tundra, and they won't budge. Celestia's been trying to make an agreement, but their leader won't have it. There might be a war, and it sounds like they'd be too powerful for the Crystal Empire's forces alone. We may be relied on to provide some sort of defences that are beyond what any little kingdom outside Equestria can imagine."

Rainbow protested, "Yes, I heard about that, but I can promise you that I've been starting to get this department up and running again. You'll see in a week or so. They'll build something far beyond anything anypony has seen before, I have faith in that. We will be able to provide whatever Celestia may need."

From Violet's hiding position, she could see the turquoise-coated assistant manager stop in place, looking at a large cloud-forming machine. "Well Dash, we may need to push your company's limits further. I've been looking over the profiles of your employees in this department and I have been thinking, maybe we should try to do something that hasn't been tried in a long time."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. "Um, try what? I don't think I follow."

"Do you remember what exactly brought you to this position? The failed project that killed the previous CEO of the Weather Corporation?"

Nodding, Rainbow gulped. "Of course I do. It was horrible. But you can't be thinking of trying to succeed where she failed, could you? Dissecting an Everfree Forest cloud? No pony could survive that, and it's just not possible. They are too unstable, that's why our field suits are build to destroy them, not control them. I read those files too, I had to, and those clouds show no mercy when they're messed with like that. They barely managed to pacify one to bring it here, and it took more resources than we could afford when they did."

The turqouise pegasus just chuckled, "Yes, but we are much more advanced now, thanks to you. With our current status, I'm positive that it won't be an issue to wrangle another cloud. And as I said, I think you know who I'm thinking about to work on it. The former CEO had no real training with the further intricacies that form a normal cloud, and as for what I think, is that she couldn't befriend the cloud because she just couldn't speak it's language. I've looked at Violet Dawn's profile, she'd be perfect for the job."

Rainbow sighed. "She wasn't even top of her class though. And, I couldn't ask her to take on something that could kill her. She only just got here a few months ago. Violet may be talented and have a lot of potential, but she's not ready for anything like that."

Violet blushed to herself. 'Wow, the chance to work on the most famous unfinished cloud project? I don't know if I could even do such a thing. I've only worked with normal clouds...' she thought to herself. She really wanted to try though. If she could figure it out, she might be known as one of the greatest cloud pegasai of all time! Standing abruptly from her hiding spot she spoke out. "I- I think I could try. Yes, I could definately try ma'am."

The two turned towards her, almost dumbfounded. "How long have you been hiding there?" Rainbow asked.

Before a reply, the turquoise mare smiled and stepped forward, holding out a hoof. "I've read a lot about you, it's nice to finally meet you. I'm Lightning Dust."

"It's, um, nice to meet you too, ma'am. So, you're the new assistant CEO?" Violet shook the offered hoof.

Lightning nodded with a chuckle, "Something of the sort. I'm glad that you're accepting this task. I am confident that you can conquer the mystery of the Everfree clouds." An alarm started to beep from a little watch on Lightning's hoof. "Oh, I have some things to take care of, so I'll have to be leaving," she turned to Rainbow Dash, "I apologize boss, but moving back into Cloudsdale has been a little rough. I need to go pick up my furnature now, so I'll try and be back right before lunch."

Rainbow smiled. "You're fine, Lightning. Take whatever time you need, it was nice of you to stop by early."

With that, the turquoise mare hustled out of the bay. Rainbow let out a heavy sigh, sitting down in one of the chairs in the corner of the room. "Well, you just happen to always be in the weirdest place at the weirdest time, don't you? Are you sure you can take on this project? I can override her, you know. If you have any doubts or feel like you can't continue this project, just let me know. She might be a lot nicer than when I first met her, but she's still reckless. Why are you back early anyways? Did you leave something here? How come you're all bandaged up?"

Violet sat in the chair across from her and sighed, "No, I just didn't want to stay in Canterlot after I was practically kidnapped after that dance... I figured to come here since its a lot safer than staying there."

Rainbow's face became an expression of worry and shock. "What!? Kidnapped? Are you okay? What happened? I heard Canterlot was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad."

"I'm fine, thanks to some weird pony in a costume. But, it's about the ponies who grabbed me. They all had modified versions of the field suits used by our weather patrols. And there was a giant Heatwalker that was modified too. You know, the ones built to melt the ice and snow of the frozen north, but it looked like it had some sort of cannons instead. I don't know what it's meant for, but I thought I'd let you know." Violet glanced down at the table. The cut on her leg still hurt, along with the tiny crack of her horn that gave her a headache. Whoever it was that did it to her needed to be caught by somepony!

Frowning, Dash nodded. "A couple weeks ago we did lose a shipment of base suits and one Heatwalker. I suppose some kind of gang stole them now... I'll try and talk to Twilight and see if she can convince Celestia to have a team searching for them. I suggest to you to try and stay out of Canterlot for a while. You weren't wearing that ridiculous dress Rarity gave you were you?"

Violet let out a small, guilty smile. "Y-yes, I was. I know not to do that again, not at night in the streets by myself. Anyways, about this project, how do I begin? I want to start as soon as we can."

Rainbow shrugged, "Well, I can send a team later to fetch a cloud from the Everfree Forest. After the incident with the former CEO, I wouldn't allow any of those clouds to stay here, but I suppose I'll have to make an exception to the rule. It won't be until after lunch though, and none of your co-workers are here. You'll have to do any preparation by yourself."

Letting out a giggle, Violet leaned forward in her chair. "I was planning on going with. I've never even touched an Everfree cloud, and would like to see the process on catching one. I'm going have to study every aspect of one before trying to take it apart."

"Going with? Well, I guess that's understandable. I'm not really a cloud pony, so I wouldn't know where to begin with one, unless I'm kicking them." she chuckled but then sighed. "My expertise is in rainbows and flying really fast. And apparently running this company, with the help of my friends of course. I couldn't get where I am today without them, and I hope you have friends to help you when you need it too. Just remember, Violet, I'm your friend too. You're a smart young mare, and I just don't want you to get hurt, or worse, by a silly cloud."

Her face more serious now, Violet nodded. "Thank you again, Rainbow Dash. I'll be careful, maybe even wear one of those field suits if I have to."

Rainbow chuckled. "Do you even know how to use one? Surely they didn't cover that in 'Advanced Cloud Forming'?"

Violet rolled her eyes, "I can learn. It can't be that advanced can it? I know it's powered by an enchanted gem."

"I suppose we'll have to have a quick lesson. Follow me." Rainbow said, smiling.

Violet followed the older mare, excited. She finally was going to do something she had come to this company to do, and she wouldn't allow herself any chance of failing!

Author's Note:

Sorry about the little delay, been distracted with Doom and work xD