• Published 1st May 2016
  • 407 Views, 5 Comments

Violet Skies - Fluttersnake31



A weather scientist falls into a cloud experiment and becomes something more. With her new powers, she's going to unveil Cloudsdale's biggest secret behind their 'breakthroughs' in weather control.

  • ...
 5
 407

Chapter 5 - Home

Home

It now was the next morning and violet sat on the couch, holding a cold, wet towel to her horn. When she finally woke, her father had taken the restricting ring off, it slightly cracked her horn just barely, but enough to have made her bleed and cry a little from the pain. Her father had wrapped the wound as she explained everything that she'd seen, up to the point where the vigilante saved her. However, she left out the fact that she saw who he was.

"Well, at least you're alright now. I don't know what I'll be able to do about these pegasai though. If they really do have some sort of modified weather mech, we'd have to prepare the city for anything. I have no real proof that the thing really exists. I believe you Violet, but I don't think the princess will believe me." the older blue stallion said, sitting back on the couch.

Violet frowned, "Dad, you have to tell the princess. That thing was pretty tall, and I'm sure I'm not the only pony to see it. At least try, please. I'm going to be busy once I get back to Cloudsdale, so I won't be able to nag you about it. If you don't tell her, that vigilante will try and stop them himself and probably get killed. Will you tell her while I'm gone?"

Standing, he just sighed and looked at her, "I'll try and get her to hear it. It probably won't be Celestia to hear it though. I'm sure you know by now that she practically stays in the Crystal Empire permenantly. Princess Luna may not give me a chance to ask, but I'll do my best since you asked. But while you're gone, just be careful okay? Those are some bad wounds you got from last night. You might be living in Cloudsdale, but it's still dangerous up there too. Not as bad as down here, of course, but mind your surroundings. If those thugs that caught you were all pegasai, there's a good chance they have friends in Cloudsdale."

Nodding, Violet smiled and stood, going to give her father a hug. "Don't worry dad, I think I'm going to try and play things safe for a while. I'll stay the night at the factory if I have to. It's probably the safest place in the city. Plus, I might actually have some stuff to do now. I've come up with an idea for a project that might impress our upcoming assistant manager."

Her father smiled, hugging back and turning to put on his armor for work. "Well, that's good. Hopefully something related to your talents this time. I'm sure that sooner or later, they'll put you in a department that you want. I'm heading out now, so don't do anything crazy again. And try not to wander the streets at night, or at least take somepony with you. Hopefully we'll be off early tonight so I can say goodbye before you head back to work tomorrow."

"I'm probably just going to stay home tonight anyways." she chuckled, opening the door for him. "Good luck in getting the princess to listen. I really hope you can talk to her... Well, see you later tonight then."

The blue stallion nodded, waiving and heading off towards the castle. Violet watched him leave for a moment or so before heading back inside and closing the door. Heading upstairs to her room, she sat down onto her bed. Her mirror on her desk showed a tired looking, messy maned mare sitting on her bed. Violet groaned. The sight was only a reminder that she went through some crazy things over the course of one night. A bandaged horn was the first noticeable thing to her, and second was the worn wraps on her right hind-leg. Carefully, she unwrapped the leg, revealing a moderately sized cut down the side of the leg. No wonder it hurt so much when she walked. Standing, she went into the bathroom and grabbed some fresh supplies to wrap her leg again. This will be an interesting thing to explain to her coworkers, she thought.

Once her leg was wrapped up again, she did a quick rinse of her mane and tied it back into a messy bunch. Her orange mane was now clean and fresh. Violet smiled, looking into her lighter orange eyes in the mirror. 'I don't look too bad, it's just two little cuts and I can still use magic even with the bandage, so I'll be fine. Hmm, but what should I say to Gat and Morri? They're probably going to be worried. Maybe i'll just say I fell. Hopefully Cloudy won't be at work again though... He'll probably just make fun of me. That stallion is such a jerk. I can't imagine how he got put in position as my boss.'

Stepping out of the bathroom, she went to her desk and pulled out some paper. As she had mentioned to her father, she really did have an idea for a weapon that she could build, getting the idea from last night's events. Violet thought, what if the weather suits could deploy clouds from the suit's built in power? If she could do that, then maybe the cloud could be used to create a sort of cover to hide the pony, similar to what she tried to do when she was caught, but in a larger scale. It was a simple idea to her, and she planned to pitch the idea to Rainbow Dash. Sure, it wasn't quite a weapon exactly, but it could be used in conjunction with one. Hopefully, Gat and Morri were busy with creating some ideas too, so then the three of them could all produce something useful.

Violet spend the good half of the day working on her idea, drawing out what she hoped it'd look like. There wasn't much she could do on the how, since she didn't know how the gem that powered the suits worked. Instead, she mostly came up with ideas on how it would store the cloud or if it would magically spawn one. Once she'd felt she had enough thought up to pitch the idea, she took a break to nap and rest until her father returned home from work late into the afternoon. Hearing him return, she went down to the living room to see him.

"Any news about talking to the princesses? Did you get to tell them?" Violet asked excitedly.

Sitting down onto the couch, he chuckled. "You're persistent. Well, I didn't talk with them, but Princess Luna is willing to listen to what I have to say. I'm scheduled to have a hearing with her at the end of the week. It's a bit farther off than you probably hoped, but it's something."

Violet gave a sigh of relief. "Oh good, at least you'll get a chance to tell her. I'm guessing Celestia isn't in Canterlot? Not a big surprise."

"Actually, Celestia might be coming to Canterlot for some sort of royal business. However, since she'll be busy, Luna will be the one to hear me. Either way, I'll make sure one of them knows what is going on. So, you plan on leaving tomorrow morning?" he asked as he stood and began to take his armor off and place it on it's stand beside the door.

Violet shrugged and wandered into the kitchen. "Yeah, I suppose. We were supposed to only have three days off, but I'm heading back a day early. I just really want to get my project started, not to mention get out of Canterlot. I don't know what I'd do sitting around here while you worked tomorrow, so I'm just heading back in the morning. Hopefully they won't mind having me come back early. We're on sort-of a schedule anyways, and the more time to work on the project I have, the better. I hope you won't mind."

Her father nodded, heading into the kitchen. "That's fine, I understand that you wouldn't want to stay in Canterlot after last night... Hopefully next weekend when you come back I'll have good news from the princesses for you. You know, it might sound silly, but it does get a little lonely around you without your or your mother around. Canterlot's never really been home for either of you."

Violet glanced at the ground. Her father rarely ever talks about her mom. It usually led to an argument. "Dad... She only left because it's just not the same Canterlot we used to know. You should know that the most, since you're out there every day trying to keep ponies safe. Don't you see how bad it is at night? I'm sure there's more than just armored pegasai out there. There's a vigilante out there, for crying out loud. Obviously things here are bad enough to make a normal pony try and take on criminals themself. That's not how things are supposed to work. I'm not going to ask you to move, but if the princesses don't listen to you, I'd suggest thinking about not just my future, but yours too. I hate seeing you here alone, and I bet that I'm not the only one that misses you while I'm gone."

The older stallion sighed, setting down a cup he had pulled out of a cupboard. "This is where I've lived all my life, Violet. I just can't leave it. Canterlot is my home, and I hope that once the princesses know what's going on, maybe they will do something, like you said this morning. Once Canterlot returns to normal, you and your mother can come back and we can all be together again. I know that someday soon, Canterlot will be restored to the way it used to be. We will be a family again."

Violet looked up at him, frowning. "Even if the princesses did something about those pegasai and their machine, it won't change things. Canterlot will never be the way it used to be. If you want to stay here forever, then you can. That's your choice. Mom would be right though. You'd rather stay here all alone living in the past while the future just passes right by you. She already left. You better hope I don't lose my patience with you too. I don't want to leave you, but every time we talk about this, it's just harder and harder for me to stay. I miss mom, and you should too." With that, Violet turned and slowly went upstairs to her room. Her father just silently watched, a sad frown on his face too.

Telling her father what she felt hurt, but she needed to let it out. Violet sighed heavily and laid down in her bed and closed her eyes. She could only hope that the princesses do something. A part of her wanted them not to, so her father could just move away from this fallen city. What was going to happen to Canterlot? She wished she knew, but she had to focus on her work. Soon enough, she drifted off to sleep, replacing her thoughts with eagerness to start her new project.