• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 1,143 Views, 4 Comments

Fillies Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - ScarlettPeace



A zombie virus sweeps across Equestria, leaving the ponies terrified and alone.

  • ...
2
 4
 1,143

Part 1

Fillies Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things

Part 1

A storm was coming. She breathed in the familiar scent of a future rain. Since they arrived the Pegasus have long but cared for the weather. It runs rampant and does as it pleases. Much like… them. She perched behind an apple tree, the barn was in sight albeit a lengthy distance away. She knew there was bound to be some in there, they liked dark places. Maybe, she thought, if she charged in and grabbed the food she’d be in and out before they could do anything about it. But she didn’t know for sure, some were slow…but some were quick. The risk was big but her need for the supplies inside was bigger. She needed to do it. She lowered her head and put herself in starting position. She could fight them off if need be. Okay, on the count of three, She thought, One. What if there are too many? Two. Was it a bad idea to go alone?
Thr-
“Hey Applesmack!” A familiar voice made the earth pony jump.
“Rainbow Dash! Keep yer voice down!” AJ whispered urgently.
The blue Pegasus landed silently beside her.
“Sorry.” She whispered, smiling. Rainbow Dash was clad in a dark jacket and belt which carried a various amount of weaponry. She was also covered in dirt and scratches but that didn’t deter the smile on her face.
“What are ya doin’ here anyway? How did ya know I was here? I thought you were on guard duty today?” Applejack asked her still in a whisper.
“Geez hold the questions. Nah, Carrot Top volunteered. And I thought you might need some help.”
“But how did ya know I was here in the first place?”
“When there’s death and danger lurking everywhere I like to keep tabs on where my pals are. I saw you sneak out this morning.”
“Darn you Rainbow,” said Applejack, frustrated. “This is dangerous. We don’t need to risk two ponies.”
“AJ, you’re not gonna make it out of there alive without backup! Consider this a favor.”
The orange pony sighed. “Fine. But don’t blame me if you get killed.”
“um…I don’t think I’ll be able to.”
The earth pony rolled her eyes. She too had a belt, hers across her chest wreathed in a variety of blades. She also had a shovel fastened to her back.
“Alright, here’s the plan.” Applejack whispered. “I’m gonna go in and grab the supplies and try to be outta there lickity split. Do ya think you can hold them off?”
“You bet cap’n!” Rainbow Dash said with confidence.
“Alright, on the count of three. One…”
“Three!” Rainbow shouted as she flew off.
“RAINBOW!” AJ called as she raced after her. Rainbow Dash busted the barn door down, shedding light on three scrawny blood covered ponies with vacant eyes. They all made an unearthly sound that hurt Applejack’s ears. Rainbow Dash flew down and kicked one in the face as she unsheathed a wooden baseball bat. AJ stood there flummoxed for a moment, still not used to the vile creatures.
“Applejack!” Rainbow shouted as she smacked one of the ponies upside the head, causing a huge amount of blood to cover the wall.
Applejack awoke from her state and ran to the corner of the barn where she knew the food was stored. She threw bag after bag on top of her back, the weight becoming more and more unbearable. She knew she wouldn’t be able to run out of here very fast. Suddenly, behind her, something loud snapped. She quickly turned at the sound of Rainbow screaming.
“Applejack!”
A broken rafter had fallen on top of Rainbow Dash’s wing, pinning her to the ground and a pony who’s bottom half was missing was crawling toward her at a disturbing speed, screeching like a banshee as it went. Applejack quickly ran as fast as she could despite the weight on her back, until she reached the wicked individual that was in hoofs reach of Rainbow. She rapidly turned around and with all her might bucked the pony across the room, it’s body breaking through the mildew ridden wall. Her head turned back and forth but the barn was empty now.
“Applejack…” Rainbow voice softly croaked.
The earth pony let the bags of food slide off her back and quickly went to her friend’s aid. The rafter had actually pierced her wing, the corner of it going through the top and stuck firmly in the floor. Her blue feathers slowly becoming stained with blood.
“Oh Rainbow Dash…” Applejack said with the upmost worry in her voice. She knew more would come and soon. But she had no idea if she had enough strength to lift the rafter, or even if she did how she could carry the Pegasus and the food back to the camp.
“It stings when I move…” Said Rainbow, trying to hold back the tears in her voice. “I can’t… I can’t move-“
“Shh,” said the earth pony “It’s gonna be okay. I’ll getcha outta here.”
Applejack raised her head as the sound of a quiet faraway screech echoed in the distance. “More are coming.” Rainbow whispered. “Just go Applejack.”
“Oh quit yer nonsense. I aint leavin ya.”
AJ took a step back and re-evaluated the situation. Those rafters were mighty heavy, even Big Mac struggled with them and she definitely wasn’t as strong as him. Maybe she could cut through them, but she wasn’t sure if her small knives would do the trick. Maybe-
Another screeched echoed. This one closer.
Her mind began to race. They needed out of here, fast.
“Cut my wing off.” Said Rainbow.
“What??” Asked Applejack, thinking she misheard.
“I said cut my wing off.” Rainbow Dash said, her voice cracking. “It’s the only way I’ll make it out of here alive.”
“I don’t…I don’t think…”
Another screech. This one very near.
“Rainbow I don’t think I can-“
“Just do it Applejack!” Rainbow Dash yelled. A fiery intensity in her eyes. Applejack could hear the sounds of more approaching. She quickly pulled a knife from her belt with her teeth and crouched down in reach of the wing. Sweat trickled down her head, she was shaking. More disturbing sounds surrounded the barn.
“DO IT!” Rainbow yelled.
Applejack pushed the knife down into the base of Rainbow Dash’s wing, splitting it open. A ear piercing scream escaped the Pegasus. Blood poured from it. But more was connected. Applejack pushed the knife down again completely detaching the wing from Rainbow. She screamed again. Applejack looked up at three creatures entering the doorway, each of them cocking their head and releasing a high pitch shriek. Applejack quickly scooped up Rainbow onto her back, completely ignoring the food and charged for a window at the side of the building. The creatures began to chase her, she could feel Rainbow weeping on her back, and she leaped up and closed her eyes as she broke through the closed window. Shards of glass making their way into her face and fore hooves, she landed unsteadily on the ground. She opened her eyes, trying to see through the blood, at the three creatures all trying to make their way through the shattered windowpane. As it began to rain Applejack quickly started to run off. Each step was excruciating, one knee she knew was broken and all the others had shards of glass that slowly made their way deeper into her body. She ran, she kept running. Her vision blurred with blood, her entire body stinging, and the weight of her weeping bloody friend on her back. Only pure will and adrenaline kept her going. She could make it… she had to.

-

Rarity looked out of the small window of Zecora’s hut. She breathed in the smell of blackberries and herbs. The rain usually soothed her. She liked the sound and the scent. But she couldn’t be comforted now, not with Applejack and Rainbow Dash missing. They had only been gone for a few hours but that could mean anything. A search party had been sent out, and she sits here worried sick. So many were already lost. Blossomforth, Ditzy Doo, Filthy Rich, Cheerilee…Fluttershy. She squeezed her eyes shut to hold back the tears. When the disease first erupted they had gathered all the survivors and the uninfected to a safe zone, but when they searched Fluttershy’s cottage she was nowhere to be seen. She hasn’t been seen since. That was five months ago. So many were already lost… she didn’t want to lose two more. She felt a hoof softly rest upon her shoulder. She looked over to her smiling pink friend, but even her usual smiles were gone. She wasn’t the hyper, happy-go-lucky pony she used to be. She was quiet now, only spoke when need be. Despite that, her calm smile and kind eyes made Rarity feel a little better.
“They’ll be back Rarity.” Said Pinkie quietly. “They’ll be fine, I promise.”
Rarity rested her head on her friend’s shoulder.
“Well for their sakes,” she whispered. “I hope you’re right.”
Twilight didn’t sleep anymore. On the other side of the hut the purple unicorn sat amongst a pile of books, reading them as fast as she could. Mane messy, dark circles under her eyes, desperation in her face. She raced through book after book, her hooves shaking.
“There must be a cure…they’re must be.” She mumbled to herself. “Something… somewhere in here there must be an answer.”
“Twilight.” She looked up to see the small dragon by her side.
“Not now Spike I’m busy.”
“Twilight, you’ve gone through those books a thousand times.”
“I may have…I may have missed something.”
Spike lowered his head. A look of depression, despair, haunted his face. He slowly sat down next to his friend. “There isn’t a cure.” He said.
“Don’t say that.” Twilight snapped, as she continued to speed read.
“There isn’t.”
Twilight looked over at him. His eyes towards the ground, tears welling up. The unicorn began to breathe slowly, her mind calming down. Seeing her baby dragon cry broke her heart. She put both fore hooves around him and held him tight.
“We can never give up hope, Spike. Hope is the most powerful thing there is. I can’t stop searching because I will not allow myself to give up hope…and you can’t either.” She slowly released him and looked him in the eyes. “Got that?”
He nodded. Twilight gave him a forced smile, he smiled back. “Yes ma’am.”
“Good dragon.” She said wiping away his tears.
“We found them!!” Someone yelled. Twilight looked up to see several ponies coming through the door, two with bodies on their backs.
“Applejack…Rainbow Dash…” Twilight whispered, expecting the worst. She quickly got up and ran to them, joined by the other occupants of the hut. The ponies slowly laid down the unconscious bodies. Rarity gasped.
“Her wing…”
Half of Rainbow’s body was stained red, and in the middle of her side was what appeared to be a bone jotting out. Applejack began to mumble and move.
“Get her to the doctor!” Twilight yelled gesturing towards Applejack. “And somepony find Zecora! Rainbow Dash needs help!”

-

Applejack heard voices…familiar voices around her. Nice voices. She thought maybe…the dark times were a dream. A nightmare. And she would wake up in her own warm bed…Applebloom in the next room. The moon peaking through her bedroom window and the sound of Big Mac snoring across the hall. But as she became more and more awake she realized she was in Zecora’s hut with a sharp pain in her back right hoof.
“We’ve got most of the glass out.”
“Is she gonna be okay?”
“She lost a lot of blood but yes, she’ll be fine.”
Was that the Doctor? And the other voice… was that Pinkie Pie? It took a lot of energy, but she forced open her eyes. It was dark out now, and her eyes had to focus. The bright light of the candles made her squint. She was on a bed, surrounded by the Doctor, Pinkie Pie, Big Mac, Granny Smith and Applebloom.
“She’s wakin’ up!” Applebloom said excitedly.
“Hey sugarcube…” she said, which was difficult due to her dry throat. “Can I have some water?” She said with a rasp.
“Uh huh, here you go.” Pinkie Pie said handing over a glass. The cool liquid felt amazing as she washed it down. She finished it quickly. She slowly sat up and examined what state she was in. She was covered in small bandages, but her right back hoof was completely wrapped up and placed in a splint.
“You broke your leg.” Said the Doctor. “And there was a lot of glass we had to fish out, but I think we got it all. Let me know if you find any more that I missed.”
“Yes sir.” The orange pony said as she re-adjusted herself. But all too quickly, her memory came back to her.
“Rainbow…Where’s Rainbow Dash?? Is she okay?? Where is she?? I need to see-”
“Calm down.” Said Pinkie. “…She’s in the other room. Zecora and the others are taking care of her.”
“Is she alright?? Is she gonna be okay??”
“We…we don’t know.”
Tears began to fill Applejacks eyes.
“This is my fault…this is all my fault.”
“No it’s not.” Big Mac said.
“You weren’t there!” She shouted, her voice cracking. Tears streaming down her face.
“I was the one who left! I was the one who let her come with me! I WAS THE ONE WHO CUT IT OFF!” She buried her face into her hooves and wept. “And now she’s gonna die because of me…”
Pinkie quickly came and wrapped her hooves around her. “Applejack, you can’t blame yourself. Don’t do this to yourself.”
“She’s gonna die Pinkie…” she whispered through the tears. “She’s gonna die.”
“We don’t know that.”

-
“I’ve cleaned off the dirt and mud, but this Pegasus has lost much blood.”
Zecora said finishing up the bandages around her wound.
“What do you think happened?” Twilight asked applying numbing potion to the various cuts and bruises. “I doubt this was caused by one of the…things…”
“Applejack is a mare of good,” Zecora said to Twilight assuringly. “I’m sure she did what she thought she should.”
Rarity sat on the other side of the room watching from afar. She still did not like the sight of blood or surgery but for the past few months she’d had to get used to it. And this was Rainbow, so she felt her presence was necessary. She would like to be there for Applejack as well but comparatively Rainbow Dash was in a much more horrific state. She could still hardly bear to look at the wing…or lack thereof. A lot of Rainbow Dash as a pony entirely, her goals, her passion, her cutie mark…all revolved around the fact that she could fly. Which obviously she could no longer do. In a way she was glad the blue pony was still unconscious, maybe she isn’t aware of it yet. But breaking the news to her…that would be terrible.

She didn’t like to be away from Sweetie Belle, but she would not allow her to be in here right now. They were in a secluded room, away from the main one of the hut. She believed Sweetie Belle was suffering a lot more than she showed. She almost wished she knew for a fact that her parents were deceased, that way there wouldn’t be all this uncertainty. But no, all she knew is that they were vacationing during the beginning of the outbreak and she hadn’t heard from them since. She knew Sweetie Belle missed them so, and so did she.

“Is that all?” Twilight asked examining Rainbow. “Have you applied the herbs to this gash right here? I could-“
“Twilight.” The Zebra said. “Enough work you’ve done, your heart be blessed. But it’s time for you to get some rest.”
“But…but I.”
“Shh.” Zecora responded with a smile.
Twilight looked over Dash’s unconscious body. She knew there was no more to be done, only waiting and praying. She looked over at Rarity sitting silently in the corner. She had been there for hours.
“Rarity.” She said softly as she walked over to her. “Let’s let Zecora work and get some sleep.”
“Yes,” she said. “Yes alright.”
-
Twilight and Rarity entered the main room where most of the ponies were sleeping.
“Where’s Pinkie?” Twilight whispered.
“There she is.” Rarity said nodding towards the window. Twilight looked to see the pink pony sitting out front, the moonlight beaming down on her.
“She’s on guard duty.” Twilight said.
“Should we give her some company?” The white unicorn asked.
Despite her exhaustion Twilight agreed.
-
Without saying a word Twilight and Rarity took their places on either side of Pinkie Pie. The pink pony looked up at the moon, even now Twilight couldn’t tell what she was thinking.
“Applejack’s asleep now.” Pinkie said softly.
“How does she feel?” Twilight asked.
“Guilty.” She said sadly. “Apparently a rafter fell on Rainbow’s wing, the things were approaching and she had no other choice.”
Rarity closed her eyes. Not being able to imagine the pain the orange pony must be going through. “I’m so sorry…” She said, not sure who she was talking to.
Twilight sighed. Guilt. She knew what that felt like. Since the dark times you really couldn’t blame yourself for anything anymore. So many ponies do things they regret when their life is on the line, or the life of someone they care about.
Twilight remembered a few months ago when Cheerilee was first bitten, the unicorn used a healing spell on her but apparently, and much to her regret, magic speeds up the process.
The teacher became one of them within a few moments do to Twilight’s magic. Guilt.
There was a silence between the three ponies, the only other sound was the nearby crickets that chirped in the night.
Pinkie sighed. “I miss Fluttershy.”
-

The next morning the ponies gathered in the main room with Mayor Mayer at the front. Even though there wasn’t really a ‘Ponyville’ to speak of, the leadership role still fell to her most of the time. Twilight sat, trying to pay attention but her lack of sleep interfered. Even Applejack was present, leaning on Big Mac for support.
“As we discussed a few days ago we are running short on food.” The Mayor said. “We can only feed so many with the various berries and nuts that surround the area. Now this doesn’t justify any rash decisions.” She said now giving an eye to Applejack, who now held her head low. “We will form an organized group of ponies to go and search for food. This mission will be dangerous, I don’t wish to force any to go against their wishes. But… are there any volunteers?”
“I’ll go.” The deep voice of the red earth pony caught everyone’s attention. He seldom spoke. Applejack looked up at him.
“Big Mac…” She said with worry.
“I can hold my own, AJ,” he said looking down at her “I’ll be fine.”
“Alright,” Said the Mayor “That’s one. Any others?”
Twilight looked around. She felt bad for not volunteering but she was needed here, wasn’t she? She needed to look for a cure and help Zecora with Rainbow Dash.
“I’ll go too!” A male voice behind her said loudly. Thunderlane the Pegasus stepped forward.
“Thank you Thunderlane.” The mayor said. “But for safety I’d like to ask two more to come. It’s perilous out there.”
Pinkie Pie stepped forward taking her place next to Thunderlane.
“Pinkie Pie?” the mayor asked. The pink pony nodded.
“Wait Pinkie!” Twilight said stepping towards her, but then stopping, realizing she didn’t know what to say. “Are…are you sure?”
“Yes Twilight.” The earth pony looked up at her. Her blue eyes looking deep into the unicorn’s own. “Would you like to come?”
-
In front of the hut Big Macintosh, Thunderlane, Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle stood, each clad with bags of supplies and laced with weaponry. Twilight didn’t want to go, she truly didn’t. She was scared but she was ashamed to say so. But her want for Pinkie Pie’s safety outweighed her fear. At least that’s what she told herself. Ponies go on these types of missions all the time…but at least every now and then one or two don’t make it back. She bit her lip. Mayor Mare and Big Mac were discussing something and Thunderlane was saying goodbye to his little brother. Twilight looked over at Pinkie adjusting her knapsack. She didn’t look scared. Then again she didn’t show a lot of emotions anymore. The unicorn looked down as a familiar claw tapped her shoulder.
“Hey Spike.” She said trying to smile.
“So…” The little dragon said shuffling his feet. “You’re gonna be safe right?”
Twilight nuzzled the top of his head. “Of course I will, I’ll be back before you know it.”
Spike wrapped his little arms around her. “I’m holding you to that.”

With great effort Applejack made her way to her brother as soon as she saw that the mayor was talking to somepony else.
“AJ, you need to let that heal.” The red colt said as his little sister gingerly walked over.
“I aint seein’ ya leave without sayin’ goodbye.”
“Aint no need to say goodbye.” Said Big Mac. “I’ll be back within a day or two.”
“Just let me speak my peace?” Applejack said laughing. The two looked at each other.
“Well,” said the orange mare. “Goodbye.”
Big Mac chuckled. “Eeyup.”
The two gave each other a short hug.
“Alright,” Thunderlane said. “We should get going.”
Applejack looked over to her unicorn friend. “Bye Twilight.”
“See you later AJ.” She smiled.
Her eyes moved over to Pinkie who was giving Rarity a goodbye hug. “Bye, Pinkie Pie.”
The pink earth pony smiled and nodded.
Rarity came to stand next to Applejack as they watched the four ponies walk further and further away from safety.

-
Applejack sat next to Rainbow Dash, still asleep. Zecora said she received a lot of numbing medication that would make her sleep. Her eyes gazed over the little stump that the bandage covered. She couldn’t believe she did it. How could she do it?
Stop It, Applejack. She said to herself. It was either this or leavin’ her to die.
Rainbow Dash was breathing loudly, a disconcerted expression on her face, as if she was having a nightmare. This horrible pit of guilt formed in Applejack’s stomach. She rested her head on the bed next to Rainbow Dash.
“I’m sorry, Dash.” She closed her eyes. “I truly am.”
Applejack sighed and squeezed her eyes shut. “I asked you to…” She heard a whisper. Applejack immediately sat up. Rainbow Dash’s breathing began to get harsher and she was sweating.
“Rainbow??” The earth pony asked.
“You’re such… a silly pony…” For a moment Dash smiled but then began to wheeze, her eyes still closed. Her breathing became much more rapid. Tears ran down her face.
“Zecora!” Applejack shouted. Rainbow Dash was struggling to breathe at all. Each breath was a quick gulp. Between breaths she would cough and gag, the sound of wheezing coming from her gaping mouth.
“ZECORA!” Applejack shouted louder.
Soon the zebra rushed in followed by Rarity and the Doctor.
“Something’s wrong with Rainbow!” the orange pony said urgently.
Zecora put her hoof to the Pegasus’ forehead. Rarity looked her over with worry.
“Oh my…” The unicorn said. “It looks as if she’s having a fever.”
“It’s the pain.” Said the Doctor “Her body is going into shock.”
“What you say is correct.” The zebra put her ear to Rainbow’s heart. “Some more herbs we must collect.”
“What??” Applejack asked. “You don’t have the stuff with you?”
“The cure for every ailment I do not possess.” Zecora said with frustration. “But this problem soon we must address.”
“Well what do you need?” Rarity asked quickly.
Each of Rainbow’s breaths began to sound like a raspy croaking sound.
“I need a flower!” Zecora shouted. “On the edge of Everfree.” She turned to look at Rarity. “This mare will die unless it’s brought to me.”
Applejack’s eyes widened as she took a step back.
“No…” She whispered. “No she won’t…she can’t…not because of me…”

Comments ( 4 )

Damit about time zombies and ponies and zombies meet. This is a great story please keep on writing this.

this is really good ! more chapters please?! :D

This was very good, well done! :rainbowkiss:
It felt like Rainbow losing her wing happened a bit too fast, but its just my opinion.
And the double question marks was a bit annoying.
But this was a very good chapter, and I'm eagerly awaiting for an update! :pinkiehappy:

Zombies scare the buck outa me. And if there was areal zombie appcalypse (PLEASE NO) I'd either hide in my basement with my game consoles, a bunch of food, lots and lost of guns, and my laptop (to watch ponies or try out my Black Ops skillz and go kill some of THEM.
Anyway, GREAT and AWESOME story!!! Keep it up!

Login or register to comment