• Published 30th Oct 2016
  • 836 Views, 1 Comments

Vacant Niches - Jongoji245



Your first year in Canterlot High and you expect to see the same thing as middle school. You're wrong... somewhat.

  • ...
11
 1
 836

In Our Town

Author's Note:

As I've said before in a blog post, there are a couple things you should know.

1) Everton is in place of Missouri Western (Write what you know :derpytongue2:)

2) While Equestrian villains get reformed, their human counterparts aren't in the loop. So hint, hint...

A week has passed since your shenanigan with your friends, and you have since come to accept that magic and fantastic beasts are real. Blackarachnia and her cohorts locked up, the Eye of Fashoom returned to the Dazzlings (hopefully under better security), and the two sisters in Canterlot High. What else can you do to celebrate?

By honing your fighting skills. You have your fists up, circling the arena as you face your small sparring partner. His poise suspicious, you know what to do.

“Ready, little guy?” You circle your fists a little. “I think I can land a blow this time.”

You see Dapplewood curl his lips, giving a soft hiss. Bopping your gloves together, you accept the challenge by charging at the boy. The boy shifts to the left, dodging your right jab. Dapplewood rams you in the chest, giving you a few punches at the ribs. You give Dapplewood a high knee, freeing yourself from his fiery grip. Before he could retaliate, you slap his ears, then wind up for the big punch. When he looks at you, you land a left hook. He spins around before flopping on the floor. As excited as you are, you have an uneasy feeling in your stomach and run at the fainted child.

“You okay, Dapple-?” In a blink of an eye, Dapplewood clutches you, spun around, and find yourself on the floor. The boy’s face is clenched, his teeth bare, and his fist aimed at you. Perhaps he was biding his time until you land the blow? From such a child, you felt fear get the best of you, remaining perfectly motionless. But Dapplewood stops, lowering his fist and standing up. You watch him jump off the ring, grab his sleeveless jacket and leave.

“Wow, talk about being a sore loser.” You mutter while standing up.

“Don’t blame him.” You look up, seeing Scootaoo leaning on the guard ropes. “The last one-on-one fight DW went through almost killed him.”

“Killed him?” You look again at Dapplewood’s general direction. No wonder he looked a little sour when you and your pals left Crystal Prep. “Damn. Did he at least win?”

You see Scootaloo’s face become somber, looking ahead once more.

“Almost.” She answers. “Almost.”


Taking a shower and putting on new clothes, you and Scootaloo venture out, finding the rest of your posse in a huddle.

“Buy why just did Spike get the letter and not the rest of us?” asks Sweetie Belle, her voice both worried and frustrated.

“I don’t know.” You see Cosgrove lift a letter. “But if they want us to come, then we’ll take it.”

Wanting to know what’s going on, you force a cough, getting their attention.

“Mind filling me in?” You ask.

“Well,” Diver starts off “Spike got an invite from Everton University.”

You look down; Spike, a dog, got the invite, but none of the others did. The puppy sits down; seeing him pant like crazy tells you the distance he ran to get here.

“I would love to see Twilight again.” He chirps while wagging his tail.

“So,” You look at the HUB. “how about we Ground Bridge ourselves over and give them a little visit?”

“And scare an entire Missouri school?” Chelsey shakes her head. “No thank you.”

“Then, how are we-?”

“Road trip!” You see Snips and Snails smack each other’s hands.

You move your head back at the sudden burst of chattering; Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom talk about meeting the ones named Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack. Spike and Dapplewood, though not a dog, jump up and down like they would before their masters. Cosgrove held a little smile, but you understood that he’s just as happy as the others. Then again, you do feel a bit of sadness welling within you. With no relatives in this Everton University, you figure you wouldn’t have business there.

“Well, guess I won’t be needed this time.” You say before turning around and heading towards home.

“Now, hold on.” You look to your right to Apple Bloom jogging around you. “We aren’t saying you’re not invited.”

“Oh.” You look behind, seeing everyone else walk to you. “You… Don’t mind?”

“Sure.” Zipper places a six-fingered hand on your shoulder. “Bosswouldn’tmindseeingyou.”

You give the charcoal black teenager a smile. Seeing as you slept the entire way from Florida, it would be great to see a change of scenery east from Colorado. You look up to Tex.

“Though, we don’t have the final word in this.”


You know what he meant. Powerful as they are, they aren’t dictators. The one person who would give you the word to join your companions on a crusade to an eastern region. And she was in your kitchen, cooking your next meal. You sit on a chair, tapping your fingers as you come up with a good request.

“Whatcha thinking, Anon?” She asks while skinning a potato.

“Uh, well.” You tap all your fingers in rhythm. As Apple Bloom told you awhile back, let the truth out and let things go from there. “My friends are planning to go on a road trip this Friday after school and I was wondering… If I could… you know… Go with them?”

Your mother stops, puts down the knife and potato, turns off the burner and turns to you.

“Where would you be going?” She asks, raising an eyebrow. You feel sweat drip down your brow, and try calming yourself.

“In Saint Joseph…” You notice your mother raise her other eyebrow. You look away, feeling ashamed. “Okay, stupid-”

“That sounds like a great idea!” Your eyes widen before looking at your mother. “It’ll be a good experience since you slept the whole way here. But, just tell them to not do anything foolish and come back safely.”

“I will.” You answer while drawing a smirk. As she returns to cooking your next meal, you let out a quiet sigh, and your shoulder relax.


The very Friday arrives faster than you think, and you feel excited as the final hours reach their end. And even more so as your last hour is spent in your advisory. You tap your desktop in rhythm while looking at the clock.

“I envy you.” You turn to Screwball, who had the opposite expression as she held her head with both hands. “Daddy never lets me go on road trips.”

“Because, my little Screwy,” You see Discord walking towards the both of you with a civilized poise in an otherwise chaotic man. “This is his story, and they want to see that story unfold.”

Seeing him point behind him made you squint. Already two months and you still have nary a clue between the snaggle-toothed elder and his swirly-eyed daughter. Discord spins around, getting his face too close for your comfort.

“By the way, there is one little, tiny, witty favor I want from you.” He asks with his eyes childish. “Can you tell Fluttershy I said hi. It hasn’t been the same with her gone.”

Fluttershy? Who names their kid like that? You want to ask him that, but with the mismatched man fluttering his eyelashes, you forsake the question and decide to answer him.

“Sure, I’ll keep a look out for her.” If you can, seeing that you never met her. The end of the school day bell rings. “See you guys later!”

You walk to your locker, unpacking any books you don’t need and grabbing the one book you do: math. You grab your suitcase, using all your might pull it from the narrow locker. It has a few scrapes, but not too bad. You extend the handle and begin for the front yard, dragging the suitcase along.

When you push the doors, you see around half of your buddies all packed up. After you told them that your mom found it okay, it’s agreed that Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Cosgrove, Dapplewood, Chelsey, Dinky, Snips, and Snails would go to Everton. The rest, lead by Diver, would keep the city safe while they’re away.

“Ready, Anon?” Asks Scootaloo.

“Ready.” You answer with your brow lowered. Stuffing your suitcase in the trunk, you sit down and buckle up. With a turn of the key, you feel the purr of the engine with your toes. You look behind you, seeing Cosgrove’s CRV and Sweetie Belle’s Portia drive by, then you feel the force of the car pull your buckled body forward, then back when the car moves forward. You look around each window, taking the sight of the buildings zooming forward. When the car goes up a highway ramp, the buildings gave way to sparse suburbia. Soon, Estes Park appeared to be an ever shrinking speck in the tailgate.

When you finish your homework, you look up. The mountain scrub you lived on for three months gave way to grassland. You stretch as much as your buckled body can allow, feeling a small pop on your elbows, knees, ankles, and toes. You look at Scootaloo, her face appearing exhausted, but still kept her vigil.

“Where are we?” You ask, putting your book in the backseat. You see her eyes turn to you, then look forward once more.

“Somewhere in Kansas.” She answers, lifting her fingers, popping them then holds the steering wheel.

You look forward, seeing a few pheasants fly across the street, and a few family farms pass by. Your eyes pick up something; pinned on the rear view mirror was a small photo of a younger Scootaloo standing next to a cyan-skinned woman with rainbow hair.

“Excited to see your sister?” You ask, looking at her again.

“Sister?” You find Scootaloo’s brow furrow. “I don’t have a sister.”

“Then what about…?” You point at the photo.

“Oh, you’re talking about Rainbow Dash.” Scootaloo huffs. “She’s my best friend. Well, one of my best friends.”

“You know, I’ve never heard much about your family.” You see Scootaloo’s face become somber, giving you a heavy feeling in your heart. “You’re a… Orphan?”

“Foster child. Not Orphan.” She rebukes in a stern tone, shifting her eyes . “But I find my friends to be close enough.”

“What do you mean?” You ask, cocking your head to the right.

“Well. It’s… Well, it’s more like….” She scratches the steering wheel. “Well, you ever loved something deeper than you thought?”

You curl up a smile for a short then frown, shaking your head.

“Well. Dapplewood shows this better with Sunset Shimmer.”


A good four hours later and the sun has since fallen in the west, leaving the world around you and Scootaloo enveloped in blackened sky. At this point, you’re certain you must be in Missouri by now. You take out your phone and prepare a group text.

So, where are we sleeping?

After waiting a while, you hear a ping sound. You flip your phone, seeing Dapplewood’s ID picture.

“Take the next exit. We’re resting at a hotel.”

Scootaloo does steer the car to the next exit, then takes a turn to the left. The hotel is a rather typical large hotel in beige and green. You see that everyone else have got out of their cars, stretching and yawning like crazy. When Scootaloo parks the car, you unbuckle, open the door, flop on the floor, stretch every joint in your body, stand up and let out a loud yawn.

“Are we in St. Joseph yet?” You hear Scootaloo ask. You turn around, seeing your supervisor stretch like crazy.

“Well,” Cosgrove wraps his right arm around his left, leaning to the right and stretching his body with a loud snap. “we’re much closer now. After breakfast, it should be a short drive to Everton.”

You enter the hotel, finding that it’s just as dull inside as it is outside; it’s uncomfortably silent, including the swimming pool being too calm. You look forward, and yelp. The front desk clerk just stared at you and your friends with a grin that would even give The Joker chills.

“Welcome.” She says in a happy tone. Perhaps it’s hotel courtesy to look happy, even though it’s creepy to you.

“Yes,” Sweetie Belle leans on the desk. “we booked a few rooms for this weekend. It should be under Titan.”

Her face remained happy as she opened a book. You wonder: don’t hotels use computers?

“Yes. We have you down.” She looks at you and your friends, closing the book with a loud clap. You see her reach beneath her and shows you three hotel keys. “Welcome to our town.”

Still feeling uncomfortable, you join your pals down the hallway. You are given the key to room 501, parting ways with Scootaloo, Snips, and Snails. The inside of the room wasn’t pleasant either. There’s no HD TV, no refrigerator, just a wooden floor, an ordinary bathroom, and a couple beds with thin covers and one pillow. Better than nothing you suppose. You hop on the bed nearest you; not the best move as is almost broke a rib.

“The hell?” You knock on the mattress; it’s as hard as stale bread. You see Snails lay down, getting the exact feeling you have. “Well, at least we can sleep.”

Or so you think. Your eyes are wide open while your ears keep ringing at Snips and Snails’ constant snoring. You turn your head, still surprised that Scootaloo is sleeping through this. And with her having the only pillow, you cover your ears as best you could. On and off, you close your eyes in rhythm to their snoring. It is later in the evening when the snoring finally ceased. You sigh with relief and slowly close your eyes.

“We have hearts as strong as horses!”

Your eyes shoot open at an alarm tone coming from Scootaloo’s phone. You then hear her groan.

“Wow, morning already?” You feel the bed become level as she rises. “I call dibs on the shower first.”

Your start squinting, quivering your lip as you let out a raspy whine. All you wanted was sleep, and you are denied it so painfully.

A while after your turn at a lukewarm shower session, you walk to the cafeteria while you rub your back. You find the rest of your “suite mates” sitting on a chair of metal and marble, rubbing their backs as well. One thing you do notice is that they aren’t eating anything.

“You already ate?” You ask.

“Not really…” Dinky waves her arm. “appetizing.”

You approach the pitifully small buffet and it is more than just unappetizing. It’s just a few dull colored muffins and undercooked meats.

“I say we just wait until lunch?” Chelsey asks.

You look at the inedible food. As much as you want to eat, there’s no way you find it palpable to try it. You look at your pals again.

“Agreed.” You answer, walking away from the meal.


It turns out that Saint Joseph is just across the river. While you presume this is a shorter drive this time, there are several sights to see. Left and right, you see factories, mill houses, even a couple scrapyards. But the workers, like the front desk clerk, bore a creepy smile all while working to death. When Scootaloo takes another turn to Belt Highway, you see that everyone walks in a straight line, holding unmarked paper bags, and drive gray colored Isuzu Rodeos. Such car drivers have their windows down; you look to your right, seeing the driver of the car give you that very creepy, toothy smiley face.

“Welcome.” He says in a happy tone. Scared again, you look forward, rolling up the window to shield you from his visage.

A few city blocks down and a left turn, you see the school at last: Everton University. And it is what you imagined for a college. It’s expansive, with several buildings dotting the landscape. There a couple lakes, one at the bottom of a rolling hill being a residence for flocks of geese. With another turn, you and Scootaloo enter the driveway, parking next to the blue-green CRV and red-violet Portia among the gray colored Rodeos. While you stretch your body, you take a look around; it’s a wide open space and a glorious sight to see on foot.

“Not bad.” You complement, swinging your arm around. “But I don’t get it. Where’s the welcome wagon?”

“Well, we’re here on a weekend.” Said Apple Bloom. You follow your posse to the building labeled “Plum Union.” Strange enough, for having so many tables and chairs next to a cafe and supply store, no one was inside.

“Maybe we’re too early?” You hear from Dinky.

“I texted Rarity before we left.” You turn to Sweetie Belle holding her cell phone. “Then again, she does work on a special dress overnight.”

“Perhaps.” You turn to Cosgrove reaching his pocket before walking to a table. “Maybe Su-”

“Gah!” You yelp before a woman with gray skin underneath a gray sweater, and blonde hair wrapped in a pigtail. She too had that creepy grin, but what made it worse is how her right eye is the one focusing on you while the other one appears affixed in the opposite direction.

“Derpy!” You hear from Dinky when you see her run up to the taller adult and hug her.

“Derpy?” You place a hand on your hip. “That’s a rude name to call your sister.”

“What’s to be rude about?” You turn your head to Scootaloo. “Her name really is Derpy.”

You then see Derpy let go of her sister and hugs everyone of your friends.

“How are you?” Asks Cosgrove.

“Pretty good. Just good.” She answers, keeping her creepy grin. This doesn’t creep them out at all. Perhaps it’s natural for them, especially for Dinky. “What brings you here on this nice day?”

“It’s visiting day.” You see Snips snatch the letter from Dapplewood before turning to Snails.

“So where are they, eh?” He asks.

Derpy doesn’t say a word, instead, she walks away to the glass doors before turning around and waving at you and your friends.

“Stay sharp, everyone.” Cosgrove orders. You go to the outside world once more, taking a look at the buildings lined up around your posse. Spratt Hall, Popplewell, Murphy, Eder, strange names for a college establishment. One building, the Agenstein-Remington Complex is where Derpy is walking to. It appears to be for the science division of the school. In the left hall, there are remains of animals from a mounted Cape buffalo head, a stuffed loggerhead sea turtle, and even a whale vertebrae. You lean on a guardrail in the main hall and look down at the massive hallway dotted with tables and chairs. There you finally see the other students, looking at each other with, again, a creepy smile. You wonder: how are their cheeks not hurting?

“Applejack! Rainbow Dash! Rarity!”

You see Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo run down the flight of stairs and embrace three older individuals, without a doubt their sisters. Like Derpy, they also wore hoodies. You see everyone else go down the stairs before going down as well. They aren’t the only ones; there is also one who is a pink skin and hair. Beside her is a woman in shades of purple wearing glasses.

“Howdy y’all!” Applejack greets while hugging her sister.

“Hey, Scootaloo!” Rainbow Dash rubs Scootaloo’s hair. “How’ve you been, kid?”

“Oh, same old.” Scootaloo shrugs. “School, Changelings, Predacons. Nothing different.”

“Oh, Sweetie Belle!” Rarity hugged her sister in such a tight embrace, you swore that she couldn’t breathe. “You must have been scared that I am away! But I promise I will write every opportunity I get!”

“That’s…” Sweetie Belle pushes her sister away. “Great!”

You see the one with glasses look around.

“Are the others coming?” She asks.

“I have them guarding home while we’re here.” Answered Cosgrove while you walk down the stairs. The adults look at you with the same creepy expression.

“Oooo!” The pink one awes at you. “Who’s this?”

Cosgrove turns to you. “This is Anon. Anon, you know Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity. This is Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle.”

You try to come up with an introduction, but their creepy smiles left you at a blank. Suddenly, your backpack shuffles, and you bring it forward and unzip it and suddenly get licked. Rubbing the saliva off your nose, lips, and chin, you look down; Spike jumps out of the backpack and embraces Twilight.

“Spike!” Twilight hugs the green and purple puppy.

“Spike?!” You exclaim, sticking your nose in your bag. Fortunately, there aren’t any conspicuous smells.

“Uh, Applejack.” You look at Apple Bloom, her right brow lowered. “What happened to your hat?”

“It’s against the rules.” She answers, keeping her creepy grin.

“Private schools.” You hear from Chelsey with a groan before looking around. “Where are Sunset and Fluttershy.”

You see Rainbow Dash reach out, grab her shirt and pull her to her face.

“They’re. Watching. Us.”

That gets everyone worried. You see them look around.

“By whom?” You ask. “I don’t see anything.”

“May I be so generous by showing you the rule book?” Rarity opens a book and turns it around, holding her thumb between the twenty-fifth and twenty-sixth pages. You see a sticky note on the twenty-fifth, which read:

HELP ME

Now you raise an eyebrow while your eyes get a fleeting glance of a lady around your host’s age. Her color scheme reminded you of the lady from the mansion who aimed a rifle at your head, but her skin is a faded violet. Her hands behind her, she looks at Rarity.

“Is there something wrong?”

Rarity immediately slaps the book on the table. Sweat drips from their faces.

“Oh, nothing at all, Starlight!” Pinkie Pie answers in haste.

“Starlight?” You raise a brow. Twilight, Starlight? Applejack, Apple Bloom. You swear they have such similar sounding names it might make your head spin.

“Yes. I’m Starlight Glimmer, head of the Everton Student Council.” She shakes your hand then looks at everyone else. “So! What brings you here to our lovely Missouri Town?”

“We, er,” Sweetie Belle points at Spike. “he got a letter for a family visit.”

“Really?” Starlight turns at Twilight; seeing the four-eyed individual bring her head back only adds more to the suspicion. “Well, we’re happy to have you! In fact, we’re happy to have anybody who wants to experience true companionship!”

True companionship? You look at your friends, each one of them sharing the same baffled looks as you.

“Say what?” Asked Snips.

“Oh, indeed.” Starlight raises her hand. “That’s what’s so unique about our town, you see. Around here, we don’t flaunt about ourselves because we have nothing to flaunt about.”

“Does that explain the creepy smiles, gray uniforms, cars, and ponytails?” Asks Snails. Starlight keeps her smile, though her silence tells another story. She walks to the stairs.

“Perhaps it would be easier to understand if I gave you a tour of the school!” As she ascends the staircase, you turn to your friends giving each other a fishy look, then you look at the five people giving your posse a weird smile. When you see everyone start moving, so too do you. Starlight Glimmer stood outside with a few rows of fellow students and, from the looks of it, alumni behind her.

“Heads high, people! Marching proud!” Starlight blows a whistle, signaling a drummer to begin a beat. “All together now! Every one of you! Nobody left behind!”
Life is so grand in Our Town
We’re always filled with cheer
We never have to look around
To know that we’re all here

You see the people behind her march in twos.

[Citizens]
In Our Town, in Our Town
We don’t have to wait
To find out that our destiny
Is just to emulate

You see one student relaxing her massive smile when Starlight swings over and holds her cheeks.

“Let’s see those big, happy smiles!”
Life is a smile in Our Town
Our cutie mark’s the same
Because we do not separate
Ourselves by more than name

[Citizens]
In Our Town, in Our Town
We dare not compete
Winning only breeds the worst
Ego-filled conceit

The tune ringing in your head, you bob to the beat when you feel a nudge on your leg. You look down, seeing Dapplewood shake his head disapprovingly. You look forward and jump back at Starlight jumping at you.

“You see? Now everybody wins!”
Life is a joy in Our Town
We’re all equal here
No one is superior
And no one shakes in fear

[Citizens]
In Our Town, in Our Town
We work as a team
You can’t have a nightmare
If you never dream

You notice them marching in two single lines of equal length in front and behind your posse.

[Starlight Glimmer]
Other guys argue
Do you ever wonder why?
When you think your talent’s special
You don’t see eye-to-eye
There’s just too many differences
That lead to disarray
But when you learn to act as one
It’s like a holiday

[Citizens]
In Our Town, in Our Town
We don’t complicate
When you learn to simplify
Life is oh, so great
Join in our utopia
Come out of the dark
Banded by equality
By our very mark!

After the music stops and the sound left to the wind, you get pulled away, getting your head shoved into a group huddle.

“Something’s wrong.” Scootaloo whispers.

“Yeah, the song’s good but the choreography was terrible.” You answer.

“No, not the song.” She reprimands. “It’s how the society works here.”

“Yeah, it’s like the entire town’s been… Brainwashed!” Shouted Sweetie Belle.

“So what,” You look at Sweetie Belle, then to Chelsey. “you guys never handled brainwashing?”

“We did.” Chelsey answers. “But never on a city-wide scale.”

“So what do we do?” Dinky asks. “If we don’t want to Pony Up, we’ll be outnumbered ten to one.”

“We play along until we get to the bottom of this.” Cosgrove answers. After he breaks the huddle, you look back, seeing Starlight and her classmates and alumni looking at your posse. “That was a lovely presentation. Truly, it is.”

“Thank you.” Starlight closes her eyes, giving a generous smile. “I hope you and your friends enjoy your visit. So, who’s hungry?”

A short walk back to Plum Union and you sit next to a table. Snips and Snails pulled out a couple chairs, sitting in between Dinky and Sweetie Belle. After a few minutes of waiting and hearing Snips’ belly rumble, you are given a platter. From the size of the lid, you brain presents you with several vivid pictures: a giant pizza, a pork roast, a turkey. The chef lifts the lid, getting your hopes high. A little… Too high.

Muffins. Gray. Muffins. Not even a blueberry or a raisin poking out their crusty hide. Your mouth stops salivating, feeling hopeless at the bland feast prepared for you. Everyone else, at least that’s what you think, grabs each muffin, using their necks to pull out chunks of the pastry and swallowing them whole. You take a muffin and bite down hard. A soft food with the durability of an apple, you resort to gnawing around the bite mark. Even freeing the piece seemed easier than trying to chew it to a pulp. You follow everyone’s advice and just swallow the piece. The piece gives you a little chest pain, but with a little water, you wash it away.

“So,” the chef asks, her hands clasped together. “how are they?”

“They taste like-!” Dinky elbows Snips, getting him to stammer. “Like the tears of angels!”

“Yeah!” Snails adds. “Like angels.”

“Great!” The chef grabs the meal. “What are your plans for today?”

You see your posse look at each other, eyeing Scootaloo place her elbows on the table.

“Well, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and I plan to take a look at Popplewell.” She gives Cosgrove a wink.

“Dapplewood would love taking a look at Potter Hall.” Cosgrove turns to Chelsey. “Want to come, Chelsey?”

“Sure.” Chelsey answers in a cheerful voice before looking at you. “Anon, Snips, Snails, Dinky. Why don’t you see the sights, maybe the Halter Wonkite Memorial?”

After letting out a hum, two-thirds of your posse stand and leave the cafeteria. You tap your fingers on the table top, looking at the two doofuses and scientific genius. Dinky looks at the chef.

“Where’s the Memorial?”

“Go through the front doors and walk right down the hill. It’s not hard to miss.”

Walking at a brisk pace, you finally get away from one smiling face, but see several others walking around you and your older “colleagues.”

“Welcome.” Says one.

“Welcome.” Says another.

“(Keep it cool. Keep it cool.)” You think to yourself. Soon enough, you see the banners draping over the windows. They’re monochromatic photos of the famous reporter Halter Wonkite. The artifacts and exhibits inside are undisturbed.

“Well, so much for ’nothing to flaunt.’” Dinkey mutters, pressing a few buttons on the virtual exhibits to no avail.

You walk past the bronze bust of Wonkite, approaching a pair of doors.

“So what are we looking for, eh?” You hear from Snails when you open the doors.

Your eyes widen and your jaw drops. Displayed in the in the massive auditorium is what appears to be a magical cabinet. Each section held an insignia; one is a trio of apples, an easy answer for who that belongs to. You reach the mark, but when you touch the surface, you feel a shock travel through your fingers, down your arm, around your ribs, up your spine, and escape through your hair. In your dazed position, you hear footsteps behind you before you see Dinky approach the field, taking a look at a cabinet holding a set of bubbles.

“Snips, Snails, you wouldn’t mind…” Dinky pounds her hand.

“That’s what we’re hired for!” You hear from Snips.

You turn around, seeing Snips and Snails in media res transformation to their respective beast modes. Snails lets out a howl before Snips grabs him by the head and charges at you. Jumping to the right, you see them barreling at the barrier. Their effort is in vain; the wall of energy gave them a bigger shock than it did to you. They land on a couple chairs, deprived of their beast modes.

“Ow! That stings!” Snails groans.

“Can’t feel my legs.” Snips adds.

“Twisted my melon, eh.” Snails finishes, flopping his head on the rest with a loud thud.

You see Dinky press her communicator.

“Cosgrove. We have found the problem.” A moment of silence. “Cosgrove? …Scootaloo? I can’t get a read.”

You press on the communicator, hearing nothing but static. “I’m getting-”

Suddenly, the lights go off, leaving the barrier as the only source of light before the curtains close. You hear whooshing sounds; someone else is in here.

“Anon, run! Get out of-!”

Dinky’s words are silenced. With the only bit of light coming from a small crack from the auditorium doors, you run as fast as you can. You open the doors just in time to see someone throw some purple powder at you. The perpetrator pushes you then closes the doors. In the darkness, your eyes become heavy, and you lose control of your body. You collapse; not having enough sleep last night your exhausted body succumbs to the drug, putting you into a deep sleep.


After a good night sleep, well since you are drugged, you slowly open your eyes. Somehow, you wound up in a dorm room. Like everything else on campus, it’s a series of beige’ and blacks with a gray rug and a window. Everyone else is with you as well, though their skin color’s faded. There are a few elephants in the room; Cosgrove, Dapplewood, and Chelsey chained to the floor with cattle yokes around their necks.

“Don’t ask.” Mutters Chelsey.

You turn to the door opening, seeing Starlight approach you.

“I find that you are comfortable?” Starlight walks around you.

“Hardly.” Cosgrove’s restraints kept him from standing up, so he had to make due with a slouched body.

“Oh, pity.” Starlight strokes the Maximal’s chin. “I hoped we would get along so well, unlike your friends.”

“Apples don’t fall far from the tree.” Apple Bloom grumbles.

“Is that so?” Starlight grabs Apple Bloom’s bow; with a tug, she unravels it. “Well, a few changes of clothes, and a few…” She turns to Cosgrove again, making a few cutting motions between her fingers. “Bodily adjustments, and you’ll be just as home as all of us.”

“How did you learn magic, eh?” Asks Snails. Starlight turns her head slightly.

“I had a little help.” The door opens once more, revealing a woman with a similar skin color as Rainbow Dash, her head hidden by her large star and moon adorned witch hat.

“Hello. Children.” She lifts her head, showing her cold grin.

“TRIXIE?!” You hear most of your pals exclaim.

“But…” Sweetie Belle stammers. “We never taught you magic!”

“Yes.” Trixie leans forward, looking smug. “But Trixie is a visual learner. Since she returned from Camp Everfree, Trixie took a few trinkets, learned a few tricks.” She turns to Snips and Snails. “But being betrayed, the great and powerful Trixie had to pass it to another. Took a while, but way worth it. Now, Trixie’s top of the food chain. She hardly has trouble and…” She looks around. “Men dig a strong lady character.”

“You’re forgetting about Sunset and Fluttershy.” Scootaloo walks up to Trixie, poking at her shoulder. “They’ll come and save the day!”

“Yes.” Starlight holds Dapplewood’s cheeks. “And they’ll be part of our community, now that we have bargaining chips.”

You see Cosgrove shake his restraints.

“You take away everything that makes a person special so you can be the only one!”

You see a hint of anger seething out of Starlight’s smiling face.

“Trixie told me everything about you and your precious Sunset Shimmer. What was it she said: that she would make things right for you and your baby brother? Where is she now? While she hides like a sewer rat, I did the one thing that she could never achieve.”

She leans to Cosgrove, lifting his chin.

“I made you all human.” Starlight turns around. “Make sure our guests are comfy.”

“Heh, heh, heh.” As soon you see Starlight leave, you turn to Trixie giving your posse a grin that gave you chills. “Trixie will give you all a warm welcome.”

When you hear the door click, Trixie approaches Snips and Snails and grabs them by the ears.

“Trixie have been meaning to pay you back with the greatest of honor.” She looks at Snails. “But you have lost faith in her, so she’s lost faith in you.”

Trixie tosses them aside, then grabs Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, while looking at Apple Bloom.

“You three have tarnished her reputation by posting such heinous information!” Trixie tosses them at Apple Bloom.

“Stop it!” You rush at Trixie, aiming a fist at her. You land a punch at her cheek, but it felt like a nudge rather than a what you’re intending.

“You shouldn’t be bringing more kids to these fights, Cosgrove.” She tosses you at the table. You groan while you slide to the floor, holding your stomach. You lift your head, seeing Trixie approach Cosgrove himself. “You. Oh, Trixie has a little something special for-!”

You hear an uproar from outside and stand up to the back window. The students and alumni of Everton are arguing with Starlight. You see Twilight approach her from behind, talking about something while you find Starlight becoming agitated.

“QUIET!!!” She roared, scaring several birds.

“I think” You turn to Trixie. “your plan is about to backfire.”

You look outside again, this time finding Starlight gone; from the look of the mobbing crowds, you assume that the “liar revealed” scenario really kicked in. Your ears pick up a poofing sound and turn around. Trixie is nowhere in sight, just a large cloud of smoke.

“She’s gone!” You hear from Sweetie Belle before turning her head. “No, wait. There she is.”

You look again; Trixie scraps to her feet and out of your sight.

“Anon, go after her, we”ll catch up.“ You look at Cosgrove trying to stand up, using whatever strength to pull his restraints.

”What if she has any special powers?“ You ask with a stammer.

”She talks big, but doesn’t back it up.“ Cosgrove kneels, then stands up again. ”Go!“

You run out the door, looking to your left and seeing another door just about to close. You rush out of the dorm, looking to your left this time. Trixie is already halfway up the rolling hill, running to the left. You run down along the side of the lake, using your stamina to run the rolling hills. Now you are back inside Spratt Hall.

”Trixie?“ You call out, looking in all directions. Looking down, you find shoe prints leading once again to the auditorium. You open the doors and enter the dark room.

”Well, well. Only one audience member?“ You look around, hoping to find the source of the voice. ”Very well, Trixie will have to make due.“

You see your shadow cast in front of you before turning around. Trixie stood on the stage, her head tilted down, and her cape wrapped around her body. You put up your fists; if what Cosgrove said is true, then you only have to land a few punches to win.

”You don’t scare me.“ You tighten your fists. ”I helped my friends with Changelings, got my arm broken by a Predacon, and got sent to the Moon. You’ll be a pushover.“

”Well,“ Trixie responds, turning her head a little. ”That is impressive. But, there is one oversight.“

You see her unfurl her cape, grab her hat and lift it. You gasp; Trixie has pony ears and a horn. She did do her ”homework.“ And now all alone with no help from a Ponied Up Crusader or a brutish Maximal, your mind starts writing up a will.

”And now, a little trick for the little naysayer.“ Trixie shifts her left leg behind the right stretching her right hand. ”Watch in awe at the power of The Great and Powerful Trixie!“

You see her horn light up, surrounding herself in a light purple glow. Two more copies of her phase in from her left and from her right. They approach you, adding a sense of dread for you. You look around, swirling your fisticuffs. You take your chances and punch the one on your left. It phases out, and you are given a hard kick to your right ribs. You punch to the right, it phases out and you are kicked to the floor. When you open your eyes, you see seven Trixies standing, laughing. But with all the duplicates before you, it’s only a matter of time before one of them reveals herself.

Or you would if someone not turned out the lights. The door opens and closes quickly, leaving the world around you in eternal darkness, and the confused mumbling. You see a small sea-green glow and roll over; the source is coming from another aura surrounding a yellow-orange horn atop a red and yellow hairpiece. You the person’s hands glow, showing a little bit of forearm and a sleeve. The person’s hand rises; getting the idea, you duck and cover your head. Your ears pick up grunted shouts, poofs, and blasting sounds and splintered wood while your nose picks up a burning smell. Then the noises cease for a while before you hear a loud click. The lights turn on, and you roll to your back. Cosgrove held the sorceress by the throat, his skin and hair now back in their natural color tones.

”Now what was it you said?“ You see him purse his lips and eyeball his left, humming a long note. ”Oh, yes. That you’ve got something special for me? Well, I’ve got something for you.“

Cosgrove shuffles his pocket and tosses out the locket that they used to drain Luna’s magic. When it lands on your lap, you look up at your boss. He looks at you, swerving his head to Trixie. Knowing what you must do, you stand, aim the locket at her and open it.


An hour passes since then, and you notice the immediate changes that are happening. The cars are being washed away of their gray color, the students and alumni have ditched the uniforms, and returned the school to a brighter hue. You sit on a bench and watch everyone talk to each other one last time before leaving. From what you’ve gathered, Starlight managed to escape and won’t be a threat for awhile, at least with Trixie not talking. You notice someone missing and decide to look for him.

”Dapplewood?“ You exclaim, whipping your head wildly. Walking down the triple decker hilltop, you look ahead and find him, but he isn’t alone. He was hugging a woman around the same age as the other ladies you’ve met in the school. Her hair a color that reminded your of bacon and a long coat with orange chevrons over her blue dress, you wonder what’s so important about her. A very important life-long friend? Maybe even a sister? You hide behind a car, getting a closer look of the embrace. Soon, Dapplewood releases her and slowly walks up the hills. He stops, looks at you for a while, then walks away. You take a peek from the car, finding the woman gone. Your head is filled with questions. Who was she? And why was she so significant to your friends? You stand up and walk away.


You and your friends return to the hotel, this time looking more alive, the food exquisite, and the beds softer than the stone slabs you slept on. For now, you join the others in the equally lovely swimming pool. But for the fun your friends have over this victory, you still feel puzzled while you sit on the edge, stroking the water with your legs.

”You’ve been quiet since we’ve got back.“ You look to your left; Scootaloo is waist deep in water when she approaches you and leans on the edge. ”What’s up?“

”Scootaloo. There’s something more to your friends, isn’t it?“ You ask. The Crusader looks at the water, staring at her reflection then looks forward. You do the same, finding Dapplewood play monkey in the middle with Chelsey and Apple Bloom. As good a fighter as he is on land, he is a poor one when it comes to jumping very little in the water.

”Family.“ She whispers. ”That’s how I, we, see each other as.“

You continue to see the little boy and two Junior teenagers continue to play. You look to your left; Snips, Snails, Sweetie Belle and Dinky are playing Marco Polo, the first being Polo just nearing Sweetie Belle. You look to your right, finding Cosgrove in his bathrobe looking out the window. It becomes clear now: how else have they fought through Hell and back. Families always encounter hardships, but their support helps them. When you first arrived, you thought that they would be the same as the bullies from your old home, but you are wrong.

Suddenly, you see the rubber ball come at you and grab it instinctively. You rest it on your lap, looking at those who are playing with it.

”Wanna play, Anon?“ Asks Chelsey.

You look at the ball, then look at the three with a smile. You then enter the water, shiver a little, then hold the ball above your head.

”Heads up!“ You bop the ball at Apple Bloom, who then bop it to Chelsey, barely missing Dapplewood’s lunge. You rush to the falling ball, balling up your fist and giving it a bop to Apple Bloom. You see Dapplewood become more proactive and swipes the ball to your left. Fortunately, Scootaloo joins the game, bopping the ball to you then you bop it to Chelsey. It’s the fun before the next carnage. For now, just have fun.