• Published 27th Feb 2016
  • 1,966 Views, 126 Comments

Legend of the Sirens: A Fathers Return - zalla661



Shortly after Sonata and Adagio tell the Rainbooms about their father life goes on. A year later during a school project Adagio reveals a certain obsession she's had over the last year leading her friends to wonder what has her so frightened.

  • ...
8
 126
 1,966

School Project

Author's Note:

So here war are again.

I decided to go ahead and write this short story out for my fans who loved my little one-shot "Legend of the Sirens." Now your wish has been granted and I am making the sequel as promised.:pinkiehappy:

Hope you all enjoy and as always read rate love and tolerate. Don't forget to tell your friends about me!

*One Year Later*

Adagio was scribbling something down on a paper in her dark room.

Ever since the day she and her sisters told the Rainbooms about their father the siren had developed a sense of fear and extreme paranoia. Every time she heard a loud booming or a roar of any sort she'd jump and scream in fright.

It was her senior year at Canterlot High and the final projects were going to be due the next day. So she was making final notes in her room completely cut off from the outside. There was no light except for her laptop and a light at her disheveled desk. The two decisive were the only light sources in the room giving it an eerie vibe. For whatever reason it gave the orange siren some comfort being in the dark confined space.

Behind her was the laptop on another desk with various devices attached to it. The monitor was covered with several documents and papers along with paper copies on the desk. She managed to find most of these items on the Dark Web. The sinister underworld of crime and backstabbing of the internet. For the last year she had been working on her final project after she found an old UN project document that mentioned something call, Project Monarch.

Since then it had become an obsession of hers and no matter how much her sisters and friends tried they could not get her away from it. As she worked on her laptop pictures of herself from the last year fell off the table to the floor. They showed a journey. A journey she took over the last year gathering evidence. She traveled across Asia to the tundras of the north and far south to the Antarctic. Searching for evidence of him.

On her return she heard from a small village in the South Pacific about a military project called Monarch.

It was this new information that confirmed her theory and lead her into a government conspiracy centered around a monster dating back hundreds of years. The creature in question was actually much older than that. It was over 1200 years old. Pictures and footage of the creature were scarce, even on the Dark Web, but what she could find was evidence enough for her.

She had what see needed not only for her school project but all the evidence she needed to find her father. Seeing the vintage footage she gathered was sketchy at best but when she saw the first of them with a set of large fins piercing the water, she knew it was him. It had to be him. There was no other creature in the world like him that massive. Finishing with her project she closed her laptop and saved it on an old floppydisc. Archaic by today standards but it was the only way she was sure the government wouldn't stop her from showing this.

The project was a spur of the moment kind of deal. Now all she had to do was show it during the open house project contest at school.

What she hoped to accomplish with it she wasn't sure, but time would tell if her obsession would pay off. She pulled up a microphone and sang a few long notes into it. She recorded the singing and replayed it over and over again. She deleted it and sang several times until she had it just right. She then picked up her cell phone and called the one person she knew could do what she needed. If she could convince her to help.

Riiiinng!

Riiiinng!

CLICK!

"Hey Vinyl? It's me Adagio."

....

"I'm doing better. How are you?"

....

"I'm glad you recovered from the surgery. How's your mistress Octavia?"

"^#@%#)&!*!" An angry voice yelled over the phone, making Adagio jump pulling the phone away from her ear.

"Whoa, no need for that kind of language! I was just asking, sheesh. Sensitive much about your mistress?"

....

"Look I'm sorry, but need your help. I have a few song notes for my project but I don't have the equipment I Need to alter it the way I need. Can you help me?" Adagio asked sending a Email to the DJ. A few moments later the DJ replied back with an email of her own. Adagio frowned at the response smacking her hand over her head.

"Oh, come on Vinyl! You're just being a jerk now!" she complained. "Why won't you do it?"

....

"Come on I was a different person back then! I apologized! To both you and Octavia. Come on do me this one favor!"

.... "Uh huh." ..... "Fine! I'll do it if you do this one thing for me. Deal?"

....

"Deal! I promise your date with Octavia will be great!"

After the compromise was made Adagio and Vinyl went to work over the phone and emails. After an hour of work and several emails later Vinyl managed to get something Adagio liked. The siren listened to the replays of the modified versions of her singing and liked what she heard. Quickly she added the sounds to her video she made for her project and saved it to her floppy.

She played it once allowing Vinyl to listen in on what she did. Once they were done listening Adagio took out and storing it and her drive in her bag she turned everything off and yawned with her phone in hand. She glanced at the clock which read, 11:12PM.

"Hey Vinyl, thanks for the help. I really couldn't have done it without you." she said with a smile.

.....

"Don't worry I'll set you up. Just don't forget you owe me for this. One setup isn't work the alterations you did for me."

.....

"Fine. I'm not spending too much though so be sure to keep that in mind." Adagio said to the phone. "Anyways I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight Vinyl."

....

Adagio clicked her phone closed setting her phone to the side of her desk. She stretched both her arms out arching her back making the stiff bones crack. She sighed in relief feeling all the tension release from her body as fatigue took hold. Slowly she zombied her way to her ed and slumped over face first into the soft pillow beneath.

She was asleep as soon as she fit the pillow. Her snores came out like a howling blizzard as she covered herself up in her blankets. The cold fabric soon warmed with her body heat and she smiled feeling better than she had in a long time. As she slept she dreamed of what her life was like back in Equestria. Things were so different than what they use to be. For better or worse she would face the new day with her head high and her chest out with pride.

The next day was uneventful to start.

Adagio woke up ate breakfast, got her project and laptop ready, and ran off to school shortly after. Over the course of the last year she had grown accustom to wearing a white lab coat. Though she said it was for practical purposes she really wore it to impress Rainbow. The athletic girl mentioned off handed one day how cute she thought Twilight from Crystal Prep was in hers when she wore it during the Friendship Games and it made her very jealous. Since then Adagio made a habit to wear one almost everyday.

When she arrived the bell had already rung and she missed first period. That gave her a days worth of detention. She didn't care though. All she cared about was getting her project done and hoped Vinyl would do her part.

She spent the first half of the day power housing through her tests and sat in classes waiting for fifth period to come along. That was when the school was having the final projects done. Hers would be shown in her video editing class she took for one purpose. She felt determined. The desire in her heart was stronger than ever. Her patience wore thin as the bell rang signaling the start of fifth period and she quickly made her way to her next class without stopping.

Her white lab coat flew as she rounded corner after corner. A minute later she was in her class siting in her desk getting her laptop ready for her presentation. A few minutes later the rest of the class arrived and she had already setup her project with her teachers permission. At the back to the class was Twilight and Sunset together.

She glared at the former Crystal Prep student before a soft cough broke her attnetion.

"Miss Dazzle, if you would please take your seat so I can take roll."

"Y-yes Mr. Turner." The young woman said taking her seat.

Once role call was done Mr Turner looked out at his class with a bright smile feeling good about his class. "Now then everyone, today your projects are due." Half the class cheered while the other half groaned. He furrowed his brow in response. "Well, I see some of you may yet be in this class next semester if that response was any indicator. Miss Dazzle you wished to have the honor of going first?"

"Yes, sir."

"Was your travel worth it all in the end?" he asked as she walked past with a whisper.

Adagio sighed rubbing the ridge of her nose. "It was and I learned a lot in my travels. I just hope my project is worth it Mr. Turner" she said cryptically.

"I'm sure it is Miss Dazzle. Now the floor is yours." he said before quickly adding with a chuckle, "And uh, no mind control Miss Dazzle."

Adagio gave him and the now snickering class a deadpan stare. "Har, har, Mr. Turner. Anyways thank you for allowing me to go first. Class I know many of you have reservations about me and my sisters since the Battle of the Bands but I assure you that is a thing of the past and all I want is to move on with life." The siren said to open. "That being said I have a project based on something I learned from my travels," she said turning on a projector.

An image of a office projected on the with film board with an blurry image moving outside a partially covered window.

"My research was on a mysterious creature that has been roaming the earth for almost two-thousand years. Possibly more." she said looking at her notes. (Say 2000, need to determine if really over 4000 years?) "My research took me all over the Pacific ocean from Hawaii, Indonesian, all the way to the heart of Japan. All the while I came across people who talked about something called monarch. At first I thought it had something to do with the monarch butterfly, " she clicked the control and brought a slide of a monarch butterfly.

She then clicked the controller again bringing an image of the monarchs migration paths across the US.

"Quickly learned that was not the case. Digging deeper I eventually learned of a UN operation called Project Monarch. After following up on a lead I got in the Bahamas I learned of an world wide Government conspiracy to hide the existence of this exotic animal. I was bared on several occasions with several of my leads going missing or refused to speak to me after." She sighed placing the remote down on a desk adjusting her lab coat.

In the back of the classroom Twilight leaned over to Sunset and asked, "Why does she wear that silly coat all the time?"

Sunset shrugged leaning back. "Heard from Aria that she got jealous after Rainbow compliment how you looked with one. She's been obsessed with it ever since."

Twilight let out an quite exasperated sigh, barely listening as Adagio went on with her report. "She's never going to let that go is she? Even though I made it clear I was not gay?"

"Rainbow said it and according to Sonata and Aria, 'Sirens are territorial creatures'." Sunset said in a mock Aria tone. "According to them since she views Rainbow as hers you are seen as competition."

"I-"

"Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer!" the voice of Mr. Turner broke their conversation making them snap at attention in their seats. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk during another students presentation. You will both stay after school in detention."

"Yes sir." the two girls said solemnly. "Sorry Adagio."

"Don't worry about it." the siren said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "Now as I was saying, there are reports that the creature was over 1500 years old but I believe him to be much older. He reappeared shortly after the first set of nuclear test were made in the US and Pacific locations." She clicked the remote bringing a image of the Pacific with black arrows making a path from the west coast of the US to Japan. "I believe the wars nuclear weapons drew him to these locations." She stated pointing to them.

"At the end of World War 2, the US and United Nations formed a secret project called Monarch where they followed and traced the creature for the next few years. What became of him was not pretty. Over the next decade until 1962 there was a long series of tests on the effects of nuclear weapons in the Bikini Atoll." Adagio gripped her hand tightly shaking it at the screen.

"The following tests were at the famous Pacific Proving Grounds. In truth they were a cover up to try and kill this magnificent creature off. Operation Sandstone. Tested three weapons were used at the Enewetak Atoll with an estimated force of 108 kilotons. Operation Ivy tested two new weapons with an average of 500 kilotons. Operation Redwing, and Dominic I and II. They were all cover ups to a world wide conspiracy to kill of this creature because the governments of the world feared him. they didn't understand him."

her voice lowered to the point where the class had to listen closely to her otherwise risk missing more of her fascinating tale. She wiped her eyes pointing fiercely at the screen.

"My project is a montage of everything I learned over the last year, all complied with music I did myself with some help from Vinyl Scratch." she said pointing to the neon blue haired girl who gave her a thumbs up. "Now without further ado I present my video called Monarch."

She finished with a final click of her remote and her laptop played her saved file with Vinyls modified version o her voice near the end. What everyone saw along with what they heard was amazed them.

As the video came near to the end the class was speechless Adagio listened closely as the movie rolled on. At the climax of the video she listened to the loud screeching as the final countdown was made in her voice. The screeching was her voice modified and she listened. Waited. Trying to hear if anything was out of the ordinary.

Hearing nothing she shook her head feeling foolish. The class applauded her work and Mr. Turner was up on his feet clapping his hands with a proud look on his face. "Well done Miss Dazzle well done indeed!"

"Thanks Mr. Turner."

After the applause died down he returned to his seat as did Adagio. The rest of the day went by quickly and Adagio walked briskly back home. The siren quickly ran up to her room in a small apartment complex south of the school and locked her doors. She threw her bag on the floor and ran to her bed. She flew into the soft covers wishing nothing more than to sleep the rest of the day. In truth she was disappointed.

She expected something to happen in response to her video. She hoped to hear his voice again. This project was a test to see if she could reach out to her father, to know if he was really here in this world. Having heard nothing like she did a year ago she desperately tried to find a way to call to him but nothing. He never responded to her singing nor did he respond to her project. She felt it was all in vain. Perhaps Sonata's talk of her father made her feel nostalgic?

Her heart ached as she laid in her bed feeling sorry for herself. The she shot up as a terrifying roar echoed in her ears. She gasped listening to the angry growling in her mind. Panic filled her as she desperately grabbed her phone and called Sunset Shimmer as she heard another angry roar in her ears.

"Oh gods what have I done?"