• Published 10th Feb 2016
  • 1,370 Views, 68 Comments

Reality is Magic - ninjintonic



Thirteen years later after my reformation; The battle of the bands; and the Friendship Games, we realized that friendship is not all about apple pie life, candy in the sky, and having sweet desserts at Sugarcube Corner all the time.

  • ...
15
 68
 1,370

Scenario 9: The Song of Kairos

GRANNY SMITH RESIDENCE, SWEET APPLE ACRES VILLAGE - 8:00 AM, WEDNESDAY






The sound of Granny's rooster's crows were heard outside the yard from where we stayed for the night, and an indistinct old-time tune was being played on a vintage record player just downstairs. I sat up from the bed and stretched my arms out vertically with a little yawn. I marveled the vicinity of the room I slept in, noticing the differences of arrangement done since the last time I remembered it. Apple Jack's bedroom appeared more spacious. The portrait wall, from which our photos were displayed, are no longer there. I wondered if Apple Jack kept the photos as a memorabilia. Maybe there's a small chance for the girls to return? But even then, will they be the same girls as I still intend them to be? Thinking about it just gives me the feeling of discomfort. I shouldn't yearn for them, not right now at least. I completely arose from the bed, shifted at the edge leaving both my bare feet dangling a couple of inches from the floor. It was a pretty tall bed. I slowly hopped off the bed and slipped on what used to be Apple Jack's slippers. The slippers were white in color and had an art of an apple bite design, I thought it was cute. The vintage tune became clearer as I exited Apple Jack's bedroom, it was a song called Raise This Barn.

As I then headed downstairs to the guest room to check on Pinkie Pie, the fireplace was dimly lit. Pinkie Pie was still fast asleep on the cross-sectional sofa, while her body was haphazardly covered with blanket, leaving one of her bare legs showing. She let out a big snore. I chuckled in relief to know that she's feeling much better. I approached her quietly and rearranged her blanket to cover up her leg.

"Good morning, sugar cube."

I turned to the elderly voice seeing Granny Smith with a plate full of steaming hot apple pan cakes. The heavenly scent made a growling noise to my stomach, and Pinkie moaned in wakefulness.

"Oh, good morning Granny Smith." I smiled.

"Awesome as always, Granny Smith!" Pinkie added.

I turned around to see Pinkie Pie smiling at me and Granny Smith, as she was still covered in large, thick blanket.

Granny Smith smiled back at Pinkie Pie, "Appetite is a sign of wellness my dear, I'll bring these to the table, why don't y'all wake up Lyra, and brush y'alls teeth so we can all eat breakfast, okay?"

Both Pinkie and I nodded, watching Granny walk to the dining area to set the plate of pancakes, then back to the kitchen to cook the rest of the breakfast.

Pinkie raised one eye brow and looked at my slippers with jokingly withering expression, "Sunset... Really? They look awful on you.."

With my arms folded, I gave her a sarcastic smile, "Thank you. You're so sweet to me."

Pinkie sat up from the couch with blanket covering just the bottom portion of her body, "So... Are you going to start talking or what?.."

"Pinkie... Not right now, we're at Granny's... I'm gon' wake up Lyra, why don't you go on ahead first."

"Sunset... You know I ain't gon' stop asking."

"Yeah, yeah yeah..." As turning around and headed up the stairs from where I came.

Lyra slept in Apple Bloom's bedroom, it was the room, first door to the left from Apple Jack's. The door was not completely closed, so I gently creaked the door open and noticed Lyra sitting by the vanity table combing her damped hair, "Come in."

I conclusively entered the room, then let out a smile with both hands behind my back, "Good morning Lyra."

"G'morning." She replied in lack of expression.

"Listen uhh.. Granny made delicious breakfast."

"... I know, I can smell it from up here..." As Lyra continued combing her hair in front of the vanity mirror.

I approached close behind her, then looked at her on the mirror, and gently ran the tip of my fingers through her long damped hair.

"Sweetie... I really am sorry about last night."

"I guess it's alright.. As long as you understand how Pinkie and I really feel about you, that's what matters most."

Lyra placed the comb down the vanity table, then rotated the adjustable make-up chair in three-sixty degrees to face me.

"If Trenderhoof try to beat you down like that again, you let us know."

"Did he actually tell you I was here?" I questioned.

Lyra rotated herself again with the chair back to its position in front of the vanity mirror, and continued combing her hair, "No, I sensed that this was your go-to place whenever you needed some alone time."

"Am I that predictable?"

"No, it's just that we know you well."

"Awwwww Lyra, that's so..... Creepy." I jokingly remarked.

Lyra, for the third time, she rotated her chair to face me with a smirk and thought of a come back as she gazed at the slippers I was wearing, "Sunset, stick with your own logo, the apple doesn't suit you."

"You and Pinkie, my goodness... Leave me alone. I don't care what you girls say, they're comfy as heck!" I let out a cute giggle.






Girls! Breakfast is getting cold! Pinkie is already devouring the cakes ahead of y'all!






"You go on ahead Lyra, I'm going to take a quick shower." As headed towards Apple Bloom's door.

"Okay, but don't get mad if there are no more pancakes left."

My eyes widened and turned around to Lyra before I made my exit, "You better save me some! I mean it!"

Lyra in a calm voice, "Can't keep promises, after all, we have our reasons not to, you doubted us." Lyra stood up from the chair and headed out from Apple Bloom's room right before me.

Lyra did accept my apology, but a part of her was still disappointed.

We all sat around the table enjoying the home-cooked breakfast while sharing laughs and memorable past stories. Granny had most to tell about the apple family reunion, and the good old times with Apple Jack, Apple Bloom, and Big Mac when they had lived here. From what we gathered, Apple Jack owned a farm of her own in Appleloosa, which is another thirty miles from Sweet Apple Acres Village. Part of me wanted to take a trip to see how she's doing, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't want to be bothered through all these years of hiatus. Important thing is, she's doing well.

After a break of short silence from the laughs and giggles, Granny, with a curious expression, questioned, "So... ah know ya'll didn't spend the night here just for ma' pancakes.... So, what is it that ya'll came here for, mind if ah do ask?"

I knew at some point that it was going to get awkward, but never thought that Granny would be the one to initiate. The girls had a presumable expression that I was supposed to be the one to answer, instead, I looked at the clock hung on a high wall with fixation, and altered my answer to Granny's question, I stammered in words, "As much as I hate to say it.... I love my job, but it's really all up to my boss, Dr. Whooves, if I want to keep it... I gotta head back at the office at one pm."

Pinkie took a final bite of a piece of pancake with her fork, and swallowed, "We're coming a long, we've already disrupted Granny's relaxation as is."

"Oh no no no, am actually delightful to have y'all here this morning."

"Oh Granny, we are delighted to be here also, but it's just that, we have lots of catching up to do."

"I'm sorry, ah shouldn't have dare asked..."

Pinkie with a smirk, "No worries, one way or another, Sunset here can keep lying until I knock the truth out of her."

I leaned on the table then face-palmed to Pinkie's comment and shook my head with sullen expression. Lyra broke the awkwardness that filled between us, "Well Granny, we've better get going, reality is calling us back home. I'd like to thank you again for having us here, it's been of great hospitality. We'll surely visit you again."

"Oh ya'll are always welcome in ma' crib. Please come again soon." Granny responded brightly.

We all ascended from our seats, each of us giving Granny Smith a warm hug, then waved a goodbye as we made our exit to the door after grabbing each of our coats from the coat hanger.











CLUB STUDIO, EVERTREE BOULEVARD - 11:00 AM, SAME DAY










It's not a usual morning for Vinyl Scratch, but unfortunately, she needed to prepare her DJ equipment in advance before the big event planned for tonight: Fleur De Lis Social Club. Vinyl Scratch was selected to play the background music for the event, Pinkie was not required to be on this one. The studio was rather enormous, according to Vinyl, it was perfect for her type of music that produced a lot of bass. Vinyl's music had progressed through the years from the time she first laid her hands on the DJ Mixer. Her genre of music didn't just consist of Dubstep, but a variety. There's a song that she would always play in every event she partook. It was a song that she and Pinkie Pie constructed: Kairos. It was a word meaning the right or opportune moment. Pinkie Pie wrote the lyrics, and had one of their co-workers volunteer to contribute the vocals. It was a masterpiece. As Vinyl switched the power button on from her DJ Mixer, a bang of static distorted noise sounded from the speakers, causing her to jump. She instantly decreased the masters volume to the right amount of ambient noise, Vinyl played a couple of her favorite old-time dubstep tracks for sound test purposes. Some songs she played, brought her in nostalgia with her roommate, Octavia, who is now a member of one of the best symphony orchestra group: Dawns Advent. Since then, Vinyl had lost contact with Octavia in a matter of several attempted calls. Vinyl had fallen to the same kind of predicament as we did, only difference is, she kept her mind busy with music, but at the same time, still preserved her friendship with me, Lyra, and Pinkie. It's her new kind of happy. Vinyl was engrossed with her DJ Mixer as making slight adjustments on her equalizer. When Vinyl found the perfect level of sound, she decreased the volume to a complete mute, and pushed the button on sleep mode. Vinyl shifted her sunglasses to her head and exhaled deeply as she plopped herself to a chair for a short break. Vinyl turned her head to a sound of an entrance door opening, then sees Fancy Pants coming towards her on the platform.

"My, Vinyl, quite set up you got here, this looks bizzare... In a good way, don't take it the wrong way." Fancy Pants initiated.

"Uhh, Thanks, I guess?... I built the speakers on my own." Vinyl replied with a grin.

"Impressive, I know you're not one to ever disappoint me, but I hope you got the right taste of music for this social event."

Vinyl laughed, "Fancy.... You know I contributed almost twenty years of my life to electronic music, it's just an event, not a presidential congress."

"Well, you know Fleur De Lis... She's very opinionated about music."

"Of course, I'll give the people the chance to lube up before the hard stuff... Trust me, they're gon' like it."

"Such foul language, my dear... Good thing you're only responsible for the music."

"Damn straight, normal people freak me out anyway.... No offense to you, Fancy."

"None taken, though I hate to admit, through all these years, it's something I've learned to cope, I must say.."

Vinyl let out a chuckle, "Aw Fancy, you know I love ya."

"Likewise, dear, anyway, I gotta meet up with some acquaintance of mine, what will you do for the time being?"

Vinyl planked her foot up the table as placing both arms behind her head, "Well, I still have an hour to kill so I'm going to head out to Best Buy across the street to check out the new Saddlesung Galaxy S7, then head back to the company office to continue sorting out Pinkie's event planner, she'll kill me if I don't go through it." As tipping the back of her chair.

Fancy Pants, with a nod, "Oooook, but until then, better be here at six, if you know what's right for you." As Fancy Pants turned around and walked towards the exit.

Vinyl randomly blurted out, "Oh yeah?... Hashtag yolo!" She took a tumble off from her chair as Fancy Pants conclusively made his exit, shutting the door right behind him.

With Vinyl still on the floor in prostration, after taking a careless fall from her chair, she slid her cell phone out, then started drafting a text to Pinkie:

"Hey Pinkie, I'm once again, in another boring event." Message Sent

After having turning her phone screen off, Pinkie texted back in an instant.

"You know what to do, Vin... Just don't mess up my event planner.."

Vinyl Scratch chuckled hysterically to herself. Vinyl replied back, "Your event planner is in good hands, don't worry about it..."

She slid her phone back in her pocket, then stood up and turned the chair to its proper position.



























CLUB STUDIO, EVERTREE BOULEVARD - 5:43 PM, SAME DAY
























The studio had a decent amount of people dressed in casual attire; A couple of wine servers, dressed in black tuxedos strolled around to offer wines to vacant guests; Some people were having a swell time socializing and drinking, while others questioned why they were there from the first place. It was some what of a quaint night. Vinyl thought mischievously that in order to break the ice, she would perhaps make a stunning introduction.

Vinyl walked in ostentation, showing her dance moves whilst making her way towards the platform where all of her DJ equipment was set in place. Some had frowned upon her, and some thought she was cute and entertaining. As Vinyl walked up to her DJ Mixer, she quickly powered it on, then pumped up both the speaker and mic volume to a perfect sound leverage. She approached the mic and expressed with loud enthusiasm, "Ok people, y'all betta like dis track, feel free to head bang or dance a long because Pinkie and I made this just fo' you!" Vinyl began performing Kairos. The track started off with a soft piano introduction, then the male vocals followed after throughout the track. The music was a preferred taste for an individual. The sound of the bass wasn't too ridged, rather soft sounding. Nevertheless, still maintained that fast, up-going beat and rhythm. It is indeed a masterpiece. Pinkie Pie did a miraculous job on the song writing, the lyrics had a strong, significant meaning behind it:

I'm never
gonna break
I'll never
fucking break
I'm never
gonna break
I'll never
fucking break

And it all comes crashing down,
like the words that we never found
We're addicted to drama
It's the first signs of trauma
The things only I know,

I just keep waiting for Kairos.

Although we got no hope,
we hold on
It gets worse before it's better
I won't go
I'm not done
This is not the time,
I'll hold my tongue
'Cause we could find another reason,
so we can fall apart again

And we'll go running back in circles
Waiting on the flesh, until the end

And it all comes crashing down,
like the words that we never found
We're addicted to drama
It's the first signs of trauma
The things only I know,
This is Kairos.





When the song ended, everyone in the room jaw-dropped in amazement. The socially crowd had gone quiet, they expected to hear more from Vinyl. But she had to abide by the rules by keeping the background music down of temperate manner, after all, this is not that kind of event. To break the silence, she turned to her old turntable, and played an old jazz music in moderate volume. The crowd had slowly gained the momentum of socializing again, but the voices consisted of Vinyl's incredible playing. Vinyl never knew what this event was for, other than just socializing, until she saw a random guy and a girl together who are headed outside, with his hand on her bum. Vinyl hoped that the music didn't convey any sexual insinuation, and that it was allegedly aimed for excitement and enjoyment. Vinyl sat on her chair, with her feet planked on top of the table, she began to play with her new Saddlesung Galaxy S7 phone.

A man with short brown curly hair, who wore a casual attire, appeared from a small crowded area, then approached Vinyl holding two glasses of wines. He placed one glass on the table in front of her. Vinyl stopped fiddling with her phone apps, then looked up at him. He let out a strange grin while he swirled his own glass of Merlot.

"You sounded awesome there for awhile, why didn't you follow through with the dynamic music?" As admiring the scent of his own wine and taking a sip.

Vinyl with a confused grin, she shifted her headphones down to her neck, "I'm sorry, have we met?"

"Oh, I apologize, I didn't properly introduce myself, how rude of me... My name is Wind Rider." He sat on the edge of Vinyl's table as holding a glass to her.

Vinyl glared at Wind Rider for a moment with an etched expression, she then picked up the wine glass that Wind Rider had placed on the table for her, "My name is Vinyl Scratch, Vinyl for short." She gave a toast to Wind Rider and both took a sip.

"Pleasure to meet you, Vinyl."

"Likewise."

Wind Rider, with a mischievous grin, he questioned, "Do you believe in fate, Vinyl?"

"Yeah, Why?"

"There's a reason for everything. I believe that there's a reason why I'm here... Maybe because I love to socialize, the wine, or maybe the outstanding performance." Wind Rider continued with the grin and took another sip.

"Ummm, yeah?... Why don't you just spit it out already..." As vinyl swirled her own glass of wine with a light chuckle.

"I would like to give you the opportunity to create a music theme for the Wonderbolts Academy Track Team."

Vinyl Scratch was jaw-dropped of the offer, which caused her wine to spill all over her turn-table.

"Oh my gosh!" She quickly got off her chair, and wiped the spilled wine from her turn-table with her own jacket. Wind Rider didn't dare to move an inch from his position on the table.

"I know it's a lot to ask, but the Wonder Bolts would be so thrilled to see you perform."

Vinyl Scratch, still patting her own turn-table dry, "It would be an honor!"

"Under one condition."

Vinyl finally finished patting her turn-table dry, she moped at her dirty jacket, "Sure, what is it?"

"I am a long time friend of Sunset, could you tell me where she lives?"

Vinyl was surprised to find out that he knew of me, but little did she knew that Wind Rider was the criminal who tried to run over Pinkie Pie, the one who attacked Lyra in the dark alley. This time, he's onto something, with each sequence of depravity of attempt, it was worse than the last. His plan of inviting Vinyl to perform at Wonderbolts Academy, is just the beginning of a bad storm.

Author's Note:

I know it took me some time to publish this scenario, Reality got in my way for a little bit. But hey! did you enjoy the track that Pinkie and Vinyl brainstormed? if you did, the real artist/band behind the amazing song is called Eden Project.

Wind Rider is back! What are his intentions this time, tell me what you think.

Oh, I planned on making a soundtrack based on this fic.

Anyway, stay tuned, as I would always say, plenty of more scenarios will be on your way.