• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,548 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,548

Chapter 24

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 24

The start of Magicon's full first week as Ruler began with a rush. Thrust into full ruling mode, Magicon not only had to attend meetings, but also socialize with the snobby nobles and preserve the peace in Equestria. His plans and ideas had widely circulated around Canterlot and many scoffed at them.

"They're ludicrous, Magicon, simply ludicrous."

"You'll never get these ideas off the ground."

"What were you thinking?"

"It's just not good business."

"You should just let us run Equestria; we know how to do it."

"No! You're all wrong," replied Magicon firmly. "You may not see it but I do: a new Equestria is coming, one where the nobility can't rule everypony anymore, one where the game is fair for everypony, and one where royal blood and family heirs mean nothing. A new Equestria is about to begin and I intend to let it happen. You all can either join the new trend or die in the pages of the history books."

They laughed and sneered at him. He was crazy in their eyes, but Magicon didn't care. The sooner his ideas were implemented the better for Equestria. He would relish in their realization of how wrong they had been, but that would come only after his ideas were put into practice.

But having ideas wasn't enough; he needed to implement them. When he was finally away from the nobles Magicon met once again with his highest bureaucratic advisors and ministers to continue his plans as well as handle the day-to-day affairs of Equestria.

The affairs weren't difficult, but they were complicated by the small and ineffective bureaucracy, half of which was filled with incompetent and unusable ponies. They were in their positions simply because Celestia put them there, not because they were qualified to work in the government.

"Passports sent to the wrong ponies, incorrectly dated reports, and unenforceable taxes, what else can go wrong?" complained Magicon as he shuffled throw papers in his daily meeting with his highest bureaucratic ministers.

"At least we have a stable budget," remarked his Minister of Finance.

"That I'm sure will change with my new plans."

"Your highness, with regards to your new plans, they're going to be much more complicated and will require much longer rules and guidelines. We'll need a new way of making laws. Proclamations and edicts won't do with your vision of Equestria," said one of his ministers.

"I realize that now which is why I may need a law-making body of some kind."

"You mean a legislature?" asked one advisor.

"Precisely."

"Popularly elected?"

"If it erodes the power of the corrupt nobility, then yes."

The advisors were silent as they stared at each other.

"Your highness, Princess Celestia never tolerated legislatures at the national level; only at the city and town level."

"Well, Princess Celestia isn't here anymore so I really could care less what she did or didn't do. We're going with a directly elected legislature by popular vote. I'll figure out the details in the coming time but that's set in stone."

"You're turning Equestria on its head. You'll destroy everything our Kingdom is known for," complained another advisor.

"No, I'm improving Equestria. What harm can come from better transportation, better communications, better educational systems, and a whole range of improvements?"

The ministers were once again silent as they couldn't find a legitimate answer to that question.

"You know, I beginning to get the feeling that many in this government would rather be interested in their next meal rather than the ponies they are supposed to serve. That is why I am going to do full reform of everything in this government, starting with the immediate dismissal of everypony lower than a moderate supervisor."

The ministers sat in stunned silence at those words.

"You're…you're not serious, are you, sir?"

"Dead serious."

"But what about the government? How is it supposed to function?"

"I would rather no government than a government of fools."

The advisors and ministers continued their objections and their pleas for Magicon to see reason and move slowly but Magicon would not budge.

"I am not changing. This government must change now if Equestria is to remain a powerful nation in the world. I will not discuss this any further. Tomorrow, those who wish to help me may come back to work. Those who wish to avoid their involvement don't show up tomorrow. I will find a worthy replacement for you."

Magicon rose and left his baffled ministers and advisors in his wake. He strode away from his duties and headed into his study.

"How did I not notice all these problems when I was Celestia's and Luna's advisor? It's like these ponies in the government are deliberately sabotaging it just to make my life harder. Well, they'll find that they can't stop me so easily. I'll right this government before the end of the month."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

While Magicon stressed himself with the government, the girls enjoyed a stress-free day in Canterlot. Outside the palace the city carried on as usual, in its calm and royal manner. Rarity loved it and savored every moment while Applejack silently wished she was back home away from these snobby and upper crust unicorns.

To Twilight, the city bore a painful reminder of what had been. She had grown up here under Celestia's guidance and learned so much. Though she did feel better and held her head higher than previous, she still had the deep hole inside her. Noticing this, her friends attempted to distract her with shopping sprees, museum tours, and even a visit the Canterlot Royal Archives. Yet only moderate success came from their attempts. They didn't know how long it would take until the old Twilight returned, if she ever would.

"I just don't get it, girls," sighed Rainbow Dash. The girls were sitting in the Canterlot Gardens while Fluttershy took Twilight on a rejuvenating spa treatment.

"We've done everythin' we could and still nothin'," complained Applejack.

"I know, and something should've worked by now," commented Rarity.

"Not even a trip to the Canterlot Archives cheered her up," said Pinkie.

"If anything, I was sure that would do it. I mean she loves books," said Rainbow.

"There's more books in there than a pony can read in five lifetimes," remarked Rarity.

"Yet, she was only somewhat interested in it."

"Ah just don't know if there's anthin' more we can do," regretted Applejack.

"We'll find something, I know it," said Rarity.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!" exclaimed Pinkie. "I'm just about to be brilliant! Twilight was happier when she was with Cadance. Why don't we let them spend the day together?"

"Pinkie, that's…not a bad idea actually," commented Rainbow.

"Oh I agree, darling. That is a simply smashing idea," applauded Rarity.

"And Ah don't have no problems with that," finished Applejack.

"Then it's settled. We'll talk to Cadance and see what she can do for Twilight."

Just then, they saw Fluttershy and Twilight arrive from the spa. They looked refreshed and rejuvenated, a hopeful sign for Twilight.

"Hello girls," greeted Fluttershy.

"Hey, Fluttershy. Hey, Twilight," responded Rainbow.

"Hi," was all Twilight said.

"How are you feeling?" asked Rarity.

"Better."

"Did the spa help?"

"Yeah, it did."

"Did it work?" whispered Applejack towards Fluttershy who shrugged while the rest of the girls talked with Twilight.

"We talked, and relaxed but I don't think I got through," she whispered back.

"Darn it."

"Well, Twilight, it sounds like you and Fluttershy had a nice time," finished Pinkie.

"We did."

"Anything else you want to do?" asked Rainbow.

She paused for a moment to think and said, "Actually, yes."

"What is it, darling?"

"Can we see the mausoleums for Princess's Celestia and Luna?"

The girls immediately fell silent and glanced at each other worriedly.

"Why do ya' want to see those, sugarcube?"

"I just want to see them."

"But the mausoleums aren't finished," stated Rainbow.

"I know but I still want to see them."

"You sure you don't want to see anything else instead?" asked Pinkie.

"No."

The girls looked at each other and sighed. The day was about Twilight and if she wanted to do something involving the princesses they had to do it.

"Alright, Twilight, let's go," said Fluttershy quietly as they all began walking towards the mausoleums behind the palace. The walk was short and they were silent as they moved, only their hoofsteps and voices of other ponies being heard.

They passed through the gates and made their way through the empty palace gardens and arrived at the construction barrier to the mausoleums. There were no construction workers; they left a short time ago. Gazing upon the tombs, the girls sighed.

Princess Celestia's donned polished, white marble columns with gold trim encircling large, white marble walls where she lay inside in her tomb. The solid stone doors were sealed shut and the final details of construction were ongoing. Final sculptures and walled inscriptions were the last things that had to be added. Overall, it was a truly fitting tribute to the former princess: bright, hopeful, and sunny.

Princess Luna's stood directly across from Celestia's tomb. Construction had just begun and hammers, chisels, and large blocks of stone lay near the site. The foundation had just been laid and large pieces of black marble and granite were neatly stacked, ready to be become the walls and columns that would eventually hold her forever.

It was a sad sight for all of them, but they all hid their misery behind stone faces. They wouldn't risk showing emotion in front of Twilight. The slightest tear or whimper could send her over the edge and never return. So, they stood and watched Twilight and the tombs in complete silence, allowing Twilight the time she needed.

As for Twilight, she silently gazed at both the mausoleums, admiring their beauty and regality, yet slightly grimacing in pain knowing who lay inside them. She had never imagined seeing this. She had never imagined that this would happen. It was just unthinkable and unbelievable and yet it had happened all so quickly. Though she accepted what happened, Twilight regretted it completely and her ignorance towards the princesses.

If only she had been in Canterlot. If only she had written to Princess Celestia more often. If only Princess Celestia had planned this. If only Princess Celestia had left her the necessary tools to bring peace and justice to Equestria. If only…

Twilight sighed. It didn't matter; none of it did. Her teacher, the greatest pony who had ever lived, was gone. She missed her so much and she felt like she was the only one that still cared. Celestia was already fading into the history books like the legends of old, yet Twilight clung to her as if she was still alive. She missed her so much.

"I thought I might find you here," said a sweet voice behind them. Turning around the girls were greeted by Princess Cadance's lush form. Her face was solemn, yet relieved and her body was attentive but not resolute.

"Hiya, princess," greeted Applejack.

"Hello, girls," she responded.

"What brings you out here?" asked Fluttershy.

"Well, to be honest, Twilight did."

"I did?" asked Twilight somewhat confused.

"Well, my thoughts about you, specifically. I've been thinking a lot about how close you were with Celestia and how you found comfort in me. I was hoping I could be of more help to you."

"Well, what do you know, we were looking for you too about the exact same thing," said Pinkie.

"A happy coincidence, then," remarked Cadance.

"Cadance, I…I'm sorry," lamented Twilight as she took Cadance's hoof and hugged her.

"There's nothing to be sorry about, Twilight. Let's go inside and talk about it."

The two of them slowly walked back to the palace as the girls followed.

Stopping for a moment, Cadance turned back to the girls and said, "Oh, I almost forgot. Magicon would like to see the five of you as soon as possible."

"What for?" asked Rainbow.

"He didn't say what, other than it was important to you."

"What about me?" asked Twilight.

"He said he wanted to talk to you privately, but later though. Will you be okay with that?"

Twilight bit her lip and looked at her friends.

"Go on, sugar. We'll be fine."

"Alright. I'll see you later then."

She turned back to Cadance and the two of them headed into the palace while the five watched them depart. Once they were clear Rarity said,

"Let's hope that works."

"I'm sure it will," answered Fluttershy.

"I know it will. If anypony can help Twilight, it's her old foalsitter and now sister-in-law," commented Pinkie.

"So, what do you think Magicon wants with us?" asked Rainbow.

"No idea," answered Applejack.

"Well, there's only one way to find out," said Pinkie and began walking back to the palace with the other girls shrugging their shoulders and following her.

They passed through the emptying throne room as the sun set casting a copper glow through the large windows. The new throne silently watched over them. Rarity paused to admire the room in the light and smiled to herself at its beauty not realizing that the girls had not stopped for her. Snapping out of her gaze she hurried herself to return with the group.

Not noticing Rarity's breakaway and return the girls paused at a hallway exiting off to the right of the throne room.

"Excuse me, can ya' tell us where is Magicon?" asked Applejack a guard pony.

"In his office, ma'am," he replied.

"Thank ya' kindly," she said and the girls went exited the throne room and down the hallway. They were quiet through the hallway, only the sound of passing hooves of servants, advisors, and guards echoing down the halls.

When they arrived at Magicon's Office Applejack knocked and heard a "come in" from the inside. Opening the door the girls entered the room together and were greeted by a familiar site.

Magicon sat behind a large wooden desk at the other end of the circular room, his head buried in papers. The large windows behind him overlooked a now candle and gas lit Canterlot and the rising night beyond. The walls were light beige with white trim and stood in dark contrast to Magicon's darker hues. A few portraits of ponies lined the walls, including two large ones of Celestia and Luna. Light blue sofas and chairs sat in the center of the room, facing Magicon, over a navy blue carpet with the Equestrian Seal in the center.

"Who is it?" he asked as he continued reading the papers in front of him, not looking up.

"The five friends of Twilight Sparkle," answered Applejack.

Magicon put down his papers, looked up at the girls, and a relieved smile came on his face.

"Oh, it's you all," he said relieved as he stood up and moved in front of his desk. "Please, come closer and have a seat. You're the best faces I've seen all day."

"Oh? Did you have a bad day?" asked Fluttershy as the girls sat themselves on the sofas and chairs.

"Very. This whole government is messed up. I'm being forced to reform it from top to bottom."

"I'm sorry to hear that," regretted Rarity.

"But it's not all bad," continued Magicon. "These reforms will help bring Equestria into the future and I can think of no less than five great ponies who will help with that."

"You mean us?" asked Rainbow.

"Why, yes. I do."

The girls looked at each other and at Magicon with surprised faces.

"Beg pardon?" asked Applejack.

"What I mean is that for this new government to properly function it has to be reformed and I want you five to help establish this new government and set the example for ponies to follow."

"Not to be a downer or anything, but that sounds really boring," said Rainbow.

"In addition, we don't have any experience in the government," added Rarity.

"I know it sounds boring and your inexperience might scare you but I assure you that this is a learning experience for everypony, myself included," answered Magicon.

"And what makes ya' think we're the right ponies for the job?" asked Applejack.

"Reasons enough. One, you are the Elements of Harmony and have a duty to Equestria. Two, you all possess different skills and talents that are severely lacking in this current government. Three, you're young, adventurous, and creative; the perfect ponies to show the world what Equestria really is about. As the saying goes, 'out with the old and in with the new'."

"But, what about our jobs in Ponyville?"

"Once the government is really finalized and everything is running smoothly, you can return to your normal lives."

"So, you're just expectin' us ta drop all of our lives in Ponyville and do whatever ya' want us ta do?" Applejack asked disdainfully.

"To put it bluntly, yes."

"Well then ya' can form you're little govment without me," stated Applejack.

"And me," said Rainbow

"And me," finished Pinkie.

"Come on, girls. We've got a friend ta care for," said Applejack as she rose and began to exit the office with Rainbow and Pinkie in tow. But noticing that Rarity and Fluttershy were still sitting she turned back and asked,

"Ya' two comin'?"

Rarity was slow in her response, "No, Applejack."

"Pardon?"

"I'm not coming with you. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm not passing it up. I may not know much about governmental policy but I am willing to do what is right for Equestria and not me."

"Are ya' kindin' me?" asked Applejack baffled.

"Maybe you don't understand it, Applejack, but I do. Equestria needs us, whether you like or not. We're the Elements of Harmony for a reason. Twilight said there would come a time when we would have to more than just defeat a villain; and I believe that time is now. We have to help Equestria."

Applejack couldn't from words as she heard what Rarity said/

"Umm…I don't mean to interrupt, but I want to stay and help too."

"Oh that's great to hear, Fluttershy," remarked Rarity.

"But what about Twilight?" asked Pinkie.

"Oh don't worry about, Twilight. I'm going to keep her by my side at all times. I'm going to teach her everything I know and continue her magical studies."

"You mean Twilight's not going back to Ponyville?" asked Rainbow.

"Not unless she really wants to and that's entirely up to her."

The three dissenters looked at each other and sighed. They were fighting a losing battle. Twilight would leap at a chance to continue her magical studies here in Canterlot and would be even happier if were friends were close to her in the same city rather than a train ride away. They knew Twilight was loyal but if half of the girls chose to stay in Canterlot and the other half left, none of them would be able to bear it.

"Fine," grumbled Rainbow. "I'll do it for Twilight."

"As long as it's not boring and I get to see my friends and have some fun, I'm okey dokey lokey with it."

"Ah don't like it, but Ah ain't got much of a choice."

"Oh, thank you girls. You don't know how much this means to me and Equestria. You will be remembered for your commitment and dedication. And I will give you all time you need to settle your affairs in Ponyville so you can begin your new lives with a clean slate."

"Thank you, Magicon," said Rarity as the girls once again settled down.

"So…um…what do you want us to do?" asked Fluttershy.

"Well, each of you will be in charge of different things in the government. I've chosen them based on your skills and your elements. So let's begin, Fluttershy let's start with you since you asked the question. You'll be the new Minister of Healthy and Safety. The job basically puts you in charge of all of Equestria's hospitals and medical facilities. You'll be responsible for keeping them in tip-top shape and studying new medicines and diseases in the medical field."

"Gosh," said Fluttershy meekly as she gulped. Rarity put a hoof around her and hugged her, comforting her.

"You'll have doctors and advisors to help you the entire way, so don't feel like you're alone."

Fluttershy took a deep breath and relaxed a little, but still worried about her new career.

"Moving on, Pinkie Pie, you'll be my new Press Secretary. You'll be talking to newspaper reporters from all over Equestria answering their questions and giving them information about me, the government, and basically the news."

"Sounds cool," said Pinkie with a smile.

"You need to be professional though. The newspapers will think of you as the face of the government and they want to see a friendly, but also professional face. Restrain yourself, please."

Pinkie seemed a little peeved by her new rules but shrugged them off and listened to Magicon give his next instructions.

"Now, Applejack, you'll be the director of the new Patents Office. It's an office that will look at new inventions and see if they've ever been created before and if they haven't allow the inventor to sell them to ponies all over Equestria. It requires honesty, durability, and friendliness because you'll be meeting a lot of ponies and seeing a lot of different inventions and approving or disapproving many of them."

"Well, that ain't too bad."

"As for Rainbow Dash, you're going to be Shining Armor's assistant to the Royal Guard. You'll be second in command and in charge of the guard when Shining Armor isn't in Canterlot. It requires loyalty, rigorous training, and athleticism. I know you have what it takes for that job."

"Now that sounds like a job for me," said Rainbow Dash confidently.

"And finally, Miss Rarity, you'll be my personal representative to the nobility here in Canterlot and in Equestria. You'll spend your days talking with the nobles and pleasing them."

"Oh, that sounds divine," said Rarity as she wobbled on her chair gleefully.

"Be advised though, that as this new government forms, many nobles will be upset and complain to you and they might even yell at you. You must like a professional lady at all times."

"I will do so," said Rarity snapping out of her fantasy.

"Anythin' else?" asked Applejack.

"No, that's it. I'm sorry for all of this change but I do hope this can work out quickly so you can return to your normal lives and Equestria can move forward. If you have no questions, you all can go now. It will be sometime before you're needed at your jobs so fill free to use this time to wrap-up your business in Ponyville."

The girls rose, thanked Magicon, and left leaving the unicorn once again alone in his office.

"I don't know how well they took it, but I'm seeing good signs of deterioration. Applejack and Rarity must argue a lot. I can easily worsen that and Fluttershy's kindness is easy enough to bend to my will. As for Pinkie, well I'll figure her out soon enough. And Rainbow Dash will be so busy with the guard that she won't have much time from her friends anymore. This is going to work out so well. Equestria is now mine, all mine!"