• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 26,394 Views, 1,245 Comments

Accidental Harmony - errant



A desperate cellist is in over her head when she takes a job at a nightclub.

  • ...
42
 1,245
 26,394

Chapter 7

Groaning, Vinyl rubbed at tired eyes that fairly swam with columns and rows of numbers. Despite the bright lights of Octavia's apartment she seemed to be developing a throbbing headache. "Tavi, would you take a look at this for me?" she implored.

"I don't understand why you don't simply hire an accountant to do this," Octavia replied without looking up from a selection of sheet music she was studying.

"As if I'd trust just anypony with this."

"But you'll trust me, will you?" the cellist asked with a trace of mirth.

"That's different," Vinyl replied gruffly.

Sighing, Octavia set aside her musical scores. "Hoof it over here, you silly pony." Vinyl thankfully levitated the heavy account book across the table still strewn with the detritus of the mares' breakfast, skillfully dropping it between her roommate's syrup-stained plate and empty coffee cup. "But you're going to do the laundry," Octavia replied, already engrossed in the club's expenditures and profits.

"Okay, okay," Vinyl said, already taking her leave of the table. Octavia watched her go, definitely not focusing on any questionable areas of her anatomy.

It’s just laundry; how much trouble could she possibly cause?

Vinyl tromped down the carpeted hallway, muttering to herself as she went. "Stupid Tavi. Why do we gotta do laundry anyway? All she wears is that silly bow tie and I don't even wear clothes at all. I own, like, one pair of socks." Easing open the bathroom door, Vinyl opened one of two doors on their ultracompact washer and dryer combo. With her telekinetic grip she began flinging sundry articles of clothing into the washer; socks, saddles, and about a galaxy worth of pink bow ties. She held one up to her face. "Seriously, how many of these things does she have?" she asked incredulously. That particular article of clothing joined its brethren and in short order the hamper containing to-be-washed was empty, save for one final item resting on the bottom. It paused in its telekinetic transit to hover in front of Vinyl's face, suddenly alight with mischief.

Octavia was still bent over Vinyl's accounts, idly flipping a page with a hoof. "Oooh, Tavi," Vinyl crooned from somewhere behind her. Octavia shivered, the sultry heat Vinyl infused into her affectionate nickname trickling down her spine.

"What, dear?" she replied, turning in her seat to see what nonsense was ahoof. She gasped; Vinyl stood in the doorway, lean white-coated body adorned with a tight-fitting black saddle trimmed in delicate, silken pink swathes that emphasized more than concealed. She wore the biggest smile of anypony the flustered Octavia had ever seen. "W-where did you get that, Vinyl?" she asked, feeling uncomfortable warmth blossom inside her, shortening her breath.

"I could ask you the same question," Vinyl practically purred, slinking towards her with the lithe agility of a cat. She walked in slow circles around the paralyzed cellist, occasionally allowing the soft hair of her tail to brush delicately, almost accidentally, against Octavia's coat. "It certainly isn't one of mine."

Octavia's half-formed answer evaporated like dew as Vinyl reared up behind her, resting her forelegs on the chair's back and deftly catching Octavia's ear between her teeth, nibbling gently. "Aaah," she moaned softly. "I-I bought it as a surprise, for a special occasion."

"Well," Vinyl said, her breath warm against the enraptured cellist's neck, "Why don't we just make it a special occasion now?"


An indeterminate period of time later Octavia found herself back to perusing Vinyl's finances, the smudged ink of her writing slowly driving the perfectionist cellist insane.

Honestly, how does somepony with magic write this terribly? I've seen better calligraphy from earth pony foals.

Elsewhere in the apartment Octavia heard the water to Vinyl's shower cut out. Moments later the mare herself joined the cellist-turned-accountant at the kitchen table, her wet mane for once conforming to a style other than its customary ragged-edged chaos. "So what's it look like, Tavi?"

"It looks like somepony attempted to create modern art in the medium of ink and paper," Octavia said, gesturing to the mostly-legible mess on the page before her.

"Haha, smartflank," Vinyl replied dryly. "I meant did I make any mistakes in balancing the accounts out?"

"No Vinyl, I don't think so. The revenues from the club for the past month exceed the operating expenses and overhead, leaving a considerable profit afterwards."

"Aww yeah! This calls for a celebration!" Vinyl exclaimed, pumping a hoof energetically in the air.

"No! Last time we 'celebrated' the smell of alcohol made me gag for a week afterwards."

"Pssh, you're such a lightweight. Besides, I had something more refined in mind, my dearest Octavia."

"Like what, pray tell?" Octavia asked suspiciously.

"I don't actually know yet. I'll think about it while we're at work tonight."

"Speaking of which, we should probably be going. We still need to clean up from last night."

"Yeah, yeah. I hear ya, Treble Clef," Vinyl said as she settled her opaque glasses over her ruby eyes. "Alright, I'm ready."

Octavia headed out the door, Vinyl lagging behind to secure it before catching up to Octavia to walk alongside her down streets painted by the light of the fading sun.


Octavia sat alone in their apartment. Vinyl was out for the afternoon, working on some esoteric element of her audio setup that the cellist couldn't begin to understand. Octavia sighed and nestled more comfortably onto the couch, content to watch old reruns and sip at a steaming mug of coffee.

The shrill ringing of the telephone shattered the tranquility that reigned over the apartment.

Frowning, Octavia rose and stalked to the offending device. It rang several more times before she managed to grasp it with her awkward hooves and grip it between her head and shoulder. "Hello?" she answered, expecting to hear Vinyl's voice on the other end.

"Good evening, miss Octavia," replied a well-cultured voice that definitely wasn't Vinyl.

"Good evening to you as well, Mr. Bookings. I must confess I wasn't expecting to hear from you."

"I apologize for the suddenness of my call, but I have just received word of an open position that is just what you need to reclaim your position as the foremost cellist of Equestria's elite."

"Truly? Somepony in Canterlot has finally forgotten about the Gala?" Octavia asked, resisting the urge to squee like a schoolfilly.

"Well, in truth, no. What I have is an opening for a cellist for the grand opening of a new five-star hotel in Las Pegasus. Its clientele includes the wealthy and influential of Canterlot, thus a stellar performance on your part will go a long way to returning to their good graces. The opening celebrations will last for a month or so; your room and board will be provided. It's quite the opportunity to get your career back on track."

"I . . . see," Octavia replied carefully, ears drooping. "You must understand this is very sudden. I will need some time to think about it."

"Of course, my dear. But I simply must have your answer within the week."

'I . . . yes, I understand. Thank you for the call, Mr. Bookings. Good day."

Octavia replaced the receiver with a discordant thud. Octavia returned to the couch. Bookings’ words echoed in her head, running in circles through her mind like a demented pegasus.

Las Pegasus . . . I can't go so far away. Not for that long. Vinyl needs me here. Not to mention that I don't want to be away from her that long.

The television continued playing but all Octavia saw was herself, on stage once again. It didn't help that she occasionally glimpsed a pristine white unicorn among the audience, sitting forlorn and alone.


"Vinyl, this looks very . . . expensive," Octavia said, eyeing the elegant settings of a luxurious restaurant in the heart of Canterlot's exclusive Golden Circle district.

"Sure is," Vinyl replied around a mouthful of salad. "Nothing but the best for my mare, after all."

Octavia continued to scan the menu, eventually settling on a rice pilaf made of the finest ingredients any chef in Canterlot could boast. Both mares quickly finished their meals, lingering over dessert and wine.

"Vinyl, do you think you could manage the club without me for a while?" Octavia ventured.

"Umm, ok; I wasn't expecting that one," Vinyl replied, looking quizzically at the grey mare across the table from her. "To be honest, I don't think I could. You do too much stuff for me."

Octavia grimaced, her ears drooping slightly.

I figured you would say that.

"Why? Do you want a vacation or something?" Vinyl asked. "If you wanted a few days off I'm sure I could survive."

"Erm, how about a month off?" Octavia asked with forced cheer.

"Um, where exactly are you going with this, Tavi?"

"Well, I had a call from my agent a few days ago," Octavia explained, morosely picking at the remnants of her sugary confection. "He said he had a job for me, out in Las Pegasus. I would have to be gone for a month."

Vinyl gaped at her. "A whole month? But, Tavi . . ." Vinyl trailed off.

"I know, Vinyl. A month is a long time. I really want to take this opportunity to start fixing my career, but I don't want to be away for that long either."

"Your career, right," Vinyl answered. "I forgot the whole deal with you working at the club was just a temporary thing until you could get work as a cellist again."

"Vinyl . . ."

"And I guess I was just a consolation prize to tide you over until things started going right again, huh?" Vinyl continued, downcast.

"NO," Octavia hissed with more force than she planned. "Vinyl, you are not a consolation prize; you're the best thing to ever happen to me. Don't ever say that again, don't even dare!"

Vinyl looked up to meet Octavia's gaze; the passionate heat simmering in them relieved the sudden ache that had frozen its way into her heart. "Thanks, Tavi. But you're still going out there, aren't you?"

"I don't know, Vinyl. I just don't know."