• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 1,392 Views, 14 Comments

The Thunder Wolf's Retribution - Pinkie_Fatalis



A Jinouga is chased from his homeland and finds himself in Equestria were he knows he isn't allowed.

  • ...
0
 14
 1,392

A change of heart

Author's note
I decided since their is going to be another language that it would be best to just italicize everything in that language so as to avoid any confusion. Also I personally find it easier to read Italic in the dark setting, so If you are having trouble differentiating them changing that setting might help.

The group of guards pulling the cart finally arrived at the cave late in the afternoon. Shining Armor dispatched the guards back to Canterlot, he then waited for all of them to leave until he turned to talk to Raiju.

"Well here we are. Princess Celestia asked me to make sure you follow the conditions she placed. For some reason though I trust that you will, even though the princess doesn’t, but I do need to make sure Twilight doesn't try to come here.

"I understand, but where are you going to stay if you're going to be watching me? I mean you probably don’t want to sleep
on the floor of this cave"

Thinking about it for a second he could only come up with one solution. "I suppose my only choice is to stay with Twilight. If I know my sister, and I most definitely do, she's going to make me ask you a lot of questions. Will you mind if I ask you some questions from her?"

"No not at all, as long as they are not about my past I am fine with it. There are many things I have done that I want to forget. And Shining Armor…thank you for saying that you trust me.”

Shining Armor then left for Ponyville, and Twilight's library to explain the situation to her. When he arrived he took a deep breath in preparation for whatever Twilight might do and knocked on the door. When she opened the door she became furious at him.

"Shining Armor! How dare you show up here after everything that’s happened! You didn't even try to help me protect Raiju.” She suddenly became depressed as her eyes began to tear up. “And now he's dead because I couldn’t convince the princess that he wasn’t evil. Don’t you trust me anymore?

"Of course I trust you.” He responded. “You’re my little sister; there is no one I trust more than you. Either way, that's why I'm here now. He isn't dead, far from it in fact c’mon I’ll explain inside.

Taken back by what her brother was saying she rushed him inside. They sat down in the main room and right away Twilight asked.

"So you actually convinced Princess Celestia not to go through with the execution?"
"No not at all. The Execution went on as scheduled, but he was completely unfazed by it. A three hundred pound, incredibly sharp blade fell directly onto his neck and it didn't go in an inch even after the princess herself pushed it down on top of him."

"Are you serious?! I knew he had to be strong, just by his sheer size, but that’s just… scary...where is he now?"

"Well, that's why I'm here. He is back in the cave we found him in. HOWEVER...the princess has set some ground rules.

Raiju is only allowed to stay for one week not a day more, NOPONY, and that includes you, is allowed to talk to him, and he is also not allowed to exit the cave until the week's up. She put me in charge of making sure all of the rules are followed, so I need a place to stay for a week. If you let me stay and don’t try to go over there, Raiju said I can ask him questions for you so long as they aren't about his past.

"I'm still mad at you for not helping me.” She said with a somewhat angry face. “But I can't just turn you away. I promise that I won't try and see Raiju then."

Twilight then proceeded to show Shining Armor the guest room in the basement of the library where a small bed was already set up. She walked back upstairs leaving Shining armor to get some rest, and began writing a list of questions she wanted to ask Raiju.

The next morning Shining Armor took Twilight's list, which was almost four pages long with space in between for him to write the answers down on, and set off to the Everfree forest. He walked into the cave to find Raiju still sleeping inside so he decided to wait near the entrance until he woke up, while he read through Twilight’s list. It wasn't until mid-day when he finally woke up; he sat up, shaking the dirt off of him, he turned towards the entrance and noticed Shining Armor standing there and said.

"Well hello...what time is it? You haven't been here doing nothing for long have you?"

"No not really, just a few hours, but I don’t mind sometimes being alone to think is a good thing. Besides you probably need lots of rest. By the way, how is your leg feeling today?"

"All things considered it's doing ok, I might be able to put some weight on it in a day or two but it is still sensitive. So...how did Twilight take all of this?"

"She took it well I think, after I told her she seemed more upset with me for not trying hard enough to help than anything else. Though she did give me a list of questions she wants to ask you if that's alright."

Raiju looked towards the ground with a depressed look on his face. "I'm surprised she wants anything to do with me after I lost my temper with the princess."

"Well…some of the questions are about that, and one of them I myself would like to know. So shall I begin then?"

"Sure, ask away."

Shining Armor pulled the list and a quill out of the bag he was carrying with his magic and started with the questions. "OK, this is the one I want to know. How did you manage to break all of those very powerful magical barriers and get in front of the princess so quickly?"

"Well the answer lies deep in my past but I suppose that does deserve an answer. As I had said, I was the lead strategist for my species, part of what I had to do for my "job" was to know the strengths and weaknesses of any species we were going to attack or have to defend against. I have learned a lot about magic over the years and what it is capable of and so I know exactly how to do away with many very powerful spells. As for getting in front of her, I just teleported."

"Wow, that's amazing. So you mean to say that you can dispel any spell you want?"

"To a degree, yes I do have my limits after all."

After he finished writing everything down, he started again with another question. "All right that clears that up, I guess. Next question how is it that you can survive so much electricity and what were those insects that circled around you?"

"The insects? Oh yeah they are called thunder-bugs they are a rare type of firefly that when in the presence of large amounts of electricity they themselves begin to discharge electricity, I use them to supplement my own reserves. I had called them to me during the night to help with charging myself back up. In all honesty I’m still not even half charged, I had forgotten how long it takes to come back from zero. Surviving large amounts of it has to do with what I am. Being what you would call a thunder wolf, I have the ability to absorb, release and control large amounts of electricity using the specialized organs in my back. Watch, I will give you an example."

Raiju lifted his tail and slammed it to the ground as a ball of electricity ran down his back to the tip of his tail where it stopped and hovered. Shining Armor watched in amazement as the ball began circling between the two of them.

They talked for a few more hours until Shining Armor had to go back to Twilight's home and give her, the answers to her questions. The week came and went with no incidents, and although not at 100%, he was able to move well enough to survive on his own. On the morning he was to leave Equestria, Princess Celestia arrived to make sure he leaves without any problems. She flew directly to the cave entrance where Shining Armor Waited with Twilight at his side.

Visibly upset the princess said. "Twilight...why are you here?"

"At the very least can I say good bye to him?"

She let out a heavy sigh. "I guess that would be ok.” She then turned towards Shining armor. “Shining Armor! Has everything been ok this week?"

"Yes, he's actually been very accommodating...let’s just get this over with then.” He turned towards the cave and yelled.
“Raiju Are you awakeyet?"

Raiju yawned and called back. "Yes I am now. I'm on my way."

He stepped out of the cave for the first time in over a week, shielding his eyes from the sun as it pocked through the tree tops.

Princess Celestia stood in front of him. "Your week is now up; I expect that you are well enough to leave."

"Yes, I am prepared to leave and I will not return, I am greatful for everything.” He said bowing to the group. “Which way is the best way to go so as to not run into any other towns.”

The princess pointed to the south west and Raiju began walking away. As he began walking away Rainbow Dash swooped in with urgent news.

"Twilight! There you are!” She suddenly had a puzzled look on her face as she noticed the group of ponies. “What is everypony doing out here?...Whatever you need to come quick two dragons are heading straight for Ponyville!

Raiju turned around, surprised and confused by what Rainbow was saying, he interrupted saying.

"Two dragons? That's impossible dragons never fly together outside of their migrations. Are you sure that they are dragons? What did they look like?"

"They looked like dragons, and I think one of them was a dark green and the other was red."

"Dark green and red? Is there a clearing or field of sorts between your...Ponyville and them? I might be able to reason with them since I speak their native language."

The group quickly made their way to a large clearing in the creature's path. As they came into view Raiju immediately figured out exactly what was coming.

"Those aren't dragons, they are wyverns. Wyverns aren't as strong as dragons but they are much faster and are a lot more aggressive. Those two are called Rathalos, the red male, and Rathian, the green female, they are a couple and are a relatively common species, but that doesn't mean they're weak. They are often called Los and Ian for short. Let's hope I can still reason with them, they aren’t well known for negotiating."

The two wyverns noticed the group and came towards them, the Ian landing on the ground while the Los hovered about 20 feet off the ground. Raiju proceeded to speak to them in a strange language none of the ponys seemed to understand.

"Wyverns! Your presence here in Equestria is not welcomed by the inhabitants. What is your purpose here?"

The Rathalos snapped back. "That is of no concern to you...MUTT."

"No it isn't but I am the only one here who speaks our language, and they wanted me to talk to you. So I’ll say it again tell me why you are in Equestria, if you aren't going to tell us then I am going to have to ask you to leave.

The Rathian lets out a chuckle as she says. "Get a load of this. The puppy thinks he can boss us around. C'mon let's just kill him and hurry this up."

"Just wait a minute we don’t need to-"

Just then the Rathalos spat out an enormous fireball that hurtled towards Raiju. He barely dodged out of the way in time and readied himself for a fight. He quickly turned around and yelled out to the group of ponies.

"All of you! You need to get away they won't listen to me."

They all backed themselves a good distance back and proceeded to watch the fight unfold. Rathian quickly ran at Raiju, she jumped and flew above him as Rathalos appeared from behind her blasting another fireball at him. Raiju had no time to avoid it this time taking a direct hit to the chest, singeing his fur. He knew now that they meant business and he needed to put an end to it quickly before things got out of hand.

"Wait! If we are to fight here, we are going to have to enact the rules of a duel."

"Fine.” The Rathalos said with a disgruntled look. ”I suppose we have to. Our conditions are that if we win then you are to leave us to what we wish in Equestria."

"I agree and if I win you are to leave and never return to Equestria."

They both thought about it for a moment until the Rathian said. "That seems fair; after all there are two of us.” A menacing smile appeared on her face as she said. “Let’s get this fight truly started then."

The fight went on for several minutes with Raiju doing little more than dodging their attacks, never revealing his electrical abilities, but also never getting the chance to hit either of them. The Wyverns then began talking to him between attacks.

"Why do you continue this fight you have yet to land a single attack? Is there some reason you defend these creatures?"

"Yes, I defend these ponies because I don't believe that they should have to suffer under evil creatures like you.

"Really?” The Los said with a laugh. “How pitiful, these are weak and useless creatures not worthy of anyone else’s attention let alone protection."

"You are wrong; no creature should be treated as less than another just because they aren't as strong, they should be treated based on their character."

"FINE THEN! If they really mean that much to you, let’s see what you do now!"

Just then the two Wyverns shot fireballs in different directions. The Rathalos, still in the air, shot his towards Ponyville while Rathian shot hers’ at the group of ponies and the princess. Raiju had to act quickly; he jumped and spun, flinging a ball of electricity towards Rathalos's fireball. He then took off running as fast as he could to intercept the other one. The fireball and electrical ball collided and exploded in the air. Raiju then Jumped directly in the path of the other fireball, taking the hit in his left shoulder. Princess Celestia’s eye’s widened as she muttered to herself.

"He-he saved us?!"

Raiju turned to quickly give them instructions. "You can't stay here! They will just continue to attack you."

Twilight was very concerned and asked. "But what about you? You haven't hit them once yet."

"Yes, I suppose it is time to stop analyzing them and go on the offensive. Don't worry I will-"

Just then Rathian came charging at an incredible speed but quietly enough that the other ponies couldn’t hear. Without even turning to look Raiju jumped doing a backflip, and as he was coming down he slammed his tail down as hard as he could directly on the Rathian’s head, burying it over a foot into the ground, knocking her unconscious. Raiju smiled as he looked back at the ponies.

"Only one more now, but he's going to be very mad now so get out of here while you can!"

The group ran almost back to the forest as the now furious Rathalos, with puffs of flame coming from his mouth, screams at Raiju.

"HOW DARE YOU! Your life ends now!

Rathalos then began pelting the area with more and more fireballs, leaving Raiju with no option but to dodge them. As they hit the ground they left large clouds of smoke and dirt, Raiju began leaving clusters of electricity under these clouds as he dodged his attacks. Eventually there was so much smoke in the air Rathalos had to stop so it would clear up.

"Quit hiding wolf! There is no escape from me!”

From under the smoke a chuckle could be heard when Raiju responded. "Who's hiding?"

Just then all of the electricity Raiju had placed rose up into the air surrounding the Rathalos grabbing his wings causing him to plummet to the ground. Once on the ground the electricity shifted on top of his body pinning him to the ground so he couldn't move. Raiju walked from the smoke victorious.

"This fight is over, you have lost."

"All this time fighting...you were holding back. What are you?"

"You will find out in time, you are quite young aren't you? Now...you and you partner must leave Equestria and never return as per our agreement."

Rathalos angrily agreed and after Rathian awoke, they began flying away. The group of ponies then returned to Raiju to congratulate him with Twilight leading the group.

"YOU DID IT! That was amazing."

Princess Celestia slowly walked up to Raiju. "Quite. You have my thanks for saving Ponyville and very likely all of Equestria. I would like to say one thing though, contrary to what you said earlier you are not the only one here who speaks that language. I heard everything you and those creatures said."

"Really now? So you do know then that I did try to resolve this peacefully?"

"Yes I know, but for now, why don't you rest for a day while I think some things over?” She saw his singed fur and all of the cuts on him. “By looks of it you took a few nasty hits during that fight."

"Thank you princess I really appreciate it." He said bowing to the princess

With that Raiju returned to the cave and went to bed. Everypony else returned home, including Shining Armor who went back to Canterlot, until the next morning where Princess Celestia and Twilight came to Raiju's cave, and called in.

"Raiju? Are you awake yet?"

They could hear him call back. "Yes I will be out in just a moment.” He walked outside and bowed to the two ponies as he said. “I will make my leave now, I am very grateful for the extra time you gave me, and I am especially grateful for you and Rainbow Dash saving my life Twilight.”

As he began walking away, Princess Celestia immediately stopped him. "Hold on a moment I need to ask you something. What happened yesterday got me thinking about how truly defenseless Equestria really is from creatures like that, now more than ever with the dragon's nest being so close. So I would like to ask if you would stay here and act as a sentinel to all of Equestria?"

Raiju was completely taken back and didn’t know how to respond. "Honestly? You would let me stay here knowing who I am? And what of your subjects, I don't think they would react very well to my presence, let alone my living here."

"I am very serious, you know far more about what happens outside of these lands and are strong enough to dispatch any threat that might come this way. As for my subjects, I'm sure they will warm up to you eventually. I have also asked the mayor of every town and city to come to the Canterlot main gates tomorrow at noon where they will meet you."

"I am honored that you would even consider something like this, I Promise that I will do my absolute best."

Twilight interrupted and asked. "So you'll stay?"

"Yes I will."

Princess Celestia smiled and said. "I'm glad, and I will see the both of you tomorrow."

"Both of us?" Twilight asked in confusion.

"Well yes, you don't want to go? Besides, it couldn’t hurt could it?"

"No, no I would be glad to. I just thought you wanted to speak with them alone. How is he going to get there any way?

Raiju quickly answered. "I'll just walk. It shouldn't take more than a few hours if I run."

The next day Twilight met up with Raiju just before he was going to leave for Canterlot.

"Twilight? Shouldn’t you be getting ready to leave for Canterlot?"

"Well I was actually hoping to go with you if that was ok."

"With me? I suppose there is no harm in it but I am using it as a bit of exercise. I haven't moved much in the past week and need to stretch my legs. You could probably hang onto my back if you want, but this is likely going to be a very bumpy ride for you, and you had better be ready to hold on. Are you sure you want to go with me?"

"I'll be fine, it won't be that bad."

She then proceeded to climbing up his tail and taking a seat in the fur between the shelling on his back. The fit was very comfortable, almost the perfect size for a pony to sit in. Raiju began on his way to Canterlot, walking at first until he exited the forest where he began picking up speed.