• Published 3rd Jan 2016
  • 1,101 Views, 72 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Clash of The Iron Mares - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor is asked to judge who the better athlete is: Rainbow Dash or Applejack.

  • ...
1
 72
 1,101

Race Time Highlights

Applejack and Rainbow Dash both stood at the starting line, front and center. The pair of friends and rivals were both tense, ready to go. Occasionally, their gazes would shift between watching the mayor with the flag to glare at each other. A circle of empty space had formed around the pair, the nearest ponies glancing at them nervously.

As soon as the flag was down, the two of them took off as fast as they could go. Clouds of dust kicked up as they ran at full speed, nearly side by side.

So caught up were they in trying to outdo each other that neither noticed a rock sticking up in the path. Applejack's hoof hit the rock, throwing her off-balance. Before she could figure out what was going on, she found herself falling forward. There was a small burst of pain as her nose hit the ground, followed by the taste of dirt in her mouth.

As she laid there, the sound of Rainbow Dash's laughter echoed through her ears. It was soon followed by the sounds of others running past her.

Getting up, Applejack brushed the dirt from her face and spat the mouthful she had gotten. She could not believe that her friend -- former friend -- would do such a thing as trip her.

Well, she was not going to let a cheating no good scoundrel win like that.

Applejack was up and running again.

*****

Feeling that she had gotten sufficiently far enough ahead, Rainbow Dash decided to finally slow down a little. After all, this was a long race, and Rainbow Dash did not want to have to wear herself out completely if she did not need to. She was already ahead enough that she could win this, and if she did so while looking like she was not even winded, all the better.

At her more casual pace, Rainbow Dash looked around, taking in Whitetail Woods in the fall. There was a hint of crispness to the air, a change of scent to it. The leaves had shifted from green to a variety of yellows, oranges, and reds. Some had already fallen to the ground and dried up, creating a nice crunching sound under her hooves. She could hear the hooves of other ponies running along.

Which... seemed closer than she expected.

"Try to keep up, slowpoke," Applejack shouted as she ran past, her tail flicking Rainbow Dash in the nose as she did.

There was a burst of discomfort as Dash's wings tried to pop out in surprise, but were stuck against her due to the rope around her barrel. She could not believe it. She had left Applejack in the dust. Rainbow Dash was well ahead of everypony. There was no way she should have been able to catch up already.

No way was she going to lose.

Rainbow Dash charged after Applejack, once again running as fast as she could. Slowly she ate up the distance that had formed between them, making her way closer and closer.

Soon they were once again side by side. Rainbow Dash's eyes narrowed as she looked at Applejack.

Missing the root that was sticking out and causing her to trip over.

"Ha!" Applejack shouted. "That'll teach ya."

*****

The two of them continued to run. This time, they were not as close as they had been, but were beginning to alternate between which of them had the lead.

Soon they would be reaching the first water station on the race.

As they got closer to the station, they also got closer to each other. Eyes narrowing, they glared back and forth.

Rainbow Dash tilted her body, bumping into Applejack.

Applejack bumped back.

Rainbow Dash bumped again. So did Applejack.

"Look out!"

Before either of them could realize what was actually said -- much less actually do what they were told -- the two of them ran into what was a large mess on the trail: wet dirt, scattered cups, and broken glass.

There was a loud crunch of glass being broken under hooves, followed by small shards of it digging into frogs and loud yelps of pain.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash were both taken off the track and toward the first aid tent. There they were quickly examined.

"Well the good news is that the injuries aren't too bad," Nurse Redheart stated. "No need for stitches, but it will need bandages. The bad news is that you're not going to be able to finish the rest of the race. In fact, you're going to have to stay off of it for the rest of the day." She gave them a small smile. "Looks like the race is over for the two of you."

"What?!" Rainbow Dash shouted out, eyes going wide (and again her wings trying to spread out, only to be stuck and sent discomfort through her body). "That is totally not fair. I was just about to get the lead and start winning."

"Oh, please," Applejack huffed, rolling her eyes. "I was just pacing myself. Gonna pull ahead of ya and win the race by a country mile."

"Knock knock," Shining Armor called out from the door of the tint. "Mind if I come in."

"It's fine," Redheart called out. "Provided you aren't disturbed by the sight of blood. I need to clean the wounds to prevent infection, then dress them." She then grabbed a pair of forceps.

Shining Armor stepped inside, looking at the pair of them.

"What's the prognosis?"

"We'll be fine," Applejack answered. "Though neither of us gonna be finishing the race today." She then turned to glare at Rainbow Dash.

"Oh don't give me that," Rainbow snapped. "I would have been in the lead if you hadn't tripped me."

"I didn't trip you," Applejack snapped back, sitting up. "And even if I had, it would have been fair since you tripped me first."

"I did no such thing! And could somepony take this stupid bucking rope off me already?!"

"Okay," Shining Armor called out, getting the pair's attention. "That's enough. Now both of you calm down and relax."

The two looked at the other, then let out a snort and turned away. They flopped back down in their seats, scowling at the walls of the first aid tent in silence.

Shining Armor could not help but roll his eyes. It was kind of funny that the whole problem between the two of them was that they were too much alike. He was tempted to tease them about it, but it seemed like it would be a waste. Instead he moved toward Rainbow Dash, horn lighting up with magic as he began to untie the rope.

"Neither of you tripped the other," he told them as he undid the bindings. "Applejack tripped over a rock that was in the path, and Rainbow Dash did the same thing with a root." He then watched the two, taking in their reactions.

The angry scowls slowly faded, shifting into sheepish looks. Applejack even reached up, rubbing the back of her head with her good hoof.

"You both probably would have noticed if you weren't so focused on competing with each other," Shining added.

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash conceded. "And normally I'm really good at noticing everything around me." With a sigh, she smacked herself in the face. There was a flash of pain from the wound and a hiss from the mare.

"Can't believe I got hurt from something so stupid."

"Me too," Applejack said. "I'm... I'm sorry I got so competitive and stubborn."

"So am I," Rainbow added.

"Well it seems as though you two have learned quite a lesson."

All of the ponies in the tent turned to find that Princess Celestia was standing in the doorway, head high and a knowing smirk on her face.

"Princess," Redheart said. "Forgive me for not bowing. I am a bit busy at the moment."

"It is quite alright," Celestia stated as she entered. "The health of my little ponies takes priority over outdated customs."

She then turned her attention to Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

"As I was saying: it seems that you two learned quite a lesson from today. Perhaps you would be willing to write a report about it to me?"

There was a moment of silence as Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack all stared at the princess. Nurse Redheart continued her work, padding and wrapping the injured hooves of the mares.

"What?" Rainbow finally asked.

"Princess?" Shining Armor said.

"It is something I have been considering for a while," Princess Celestia explained. "As wonderful a job as Shining Armor has been doing with his friendship reports, there are times when it seems as though he was not the only one who has learned something about friendship. To that end, I was thinking that perhaps his friends would be willing to help him and me out. That they could write their own reports to me about friendship when they have something that they learned from themselves." She quirked an eyebrow. "Such as how a pair of mares learned that maybe they should not let their competitive nature get in the way of their friendship."

That got a bit of a blush from the two mares.

"That is, of course, if you are willing to do such." She took a step back. "Now, I will leave you to your convalescence. There is still a race being held, and I would like to see what else may occur."